• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I love this colour. The best green bike I have seen is the Bonneville Steve McQueen edition:

55076d1348403838-offical-2012-triumph-steve-mcqueen-se-t100-thread-mcqslprs.jpg

Saw one at my local dealdership and fell in love with it. One day...

Beautiful, my local Triumph Dealers had one for ages that was a cancelled order. But I already have a standard Green Bonnie so it wasn't really justified. I agree about the colour though, I was so happy when I found a green Bonneville. I figure if you're getting a British bike or car, it's got to be green (yes, I know the Bonneville is made in Thailand now)

Now the Guzzi V7 racer... that I could get behind!

Not 2 days into my new bike and i'm already thinking of the next one. Owning 2 cars, out of the question. Owning 2 bikes seems like a possibility.

So this is 2 wheel living!

Do it! I sold my car and now I have an all-year bike (the Fazer) and a good weather bike (the Bonneville)

Dougald

It's an awesome bike. If I got a cruiser it would definitely be a bagger with some hard luggage

Just a pity about the price...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That looks comfy and bloody heavy lol. The last pic is beautiful, but why are there fences on the sides? Is that private property?

Yeah it's heavy, weighs about 800 lbs. And yeah it is comfy, I can ride coast to coast and not get tired of sitting in the saddle. The fences along highway 163 are more to keep cattle and wild donkeys off the road than anything else. Monument Valley is a national park too, so they may be there to prevent people from driving all over it.

It's an awesome bike. If I got a cruiser it would definitely be a bagger with some hard luggage

Just a pity about the price...

Yep, I love Harleys, they ride distinctly like no other motorcycle, but they sure aren't cheap. Good news is they hold their value very, very well. This is the sixth Harley I've owned, and over the years I've traded a few of mine in for damn near almost what I paid for them new. But I started riding on cheap used Kawasakis, owned four of them before I ever bought my first Sportster.

Dougald

Yeah my problem is they hold their value so well, as I like to buy used!

I guess once you've actually put up the money you're quids in though, as at least here in the UK I could probably buy a nice Harley, ride it for 3 or 4 years, then sell it for basically the same amount I paid.

Maybe in a few years I will get a nice full dress tourer..... then I could be one of the few Harley riders who waves at other bikes on the road, as none of them here seem to! It would replace the hole my ST1100 has left after selling it

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Maybe in a few years I will get a nice full dress tourer..... then I could be one of the few Harley riders who waves at other bikes on the road, as none of them here seem to! It would replace the hole my ST1100 has left after selling it

Here in the states its the opposite: all the Harley riders wave to everyone, and it's the crotch rockets and BMW riders who don't wave. Although it has gotten better in the past few years with the crotch rockets. Not so much the BMW guys though...

I rode an ST1100 in Nova Scotia a few years ago, really nice bike. Couldn't see it being comfortable for a long ride though, not with the way it seated. Maybe Harleys have just spoiled me in that department.

Watevaman

Here in the states its the opposite: all the Harley riders wave to everyone, and it's the crotch rockets and BMW riders who don't wave. Although it has gotten better in the past few years with the crotch rockets. Not so much the BMW guys though...

I rode an ST1100 in Nova Scotia a few years ago, really nice bike. Couldn't see it being comfortable for a long ride though, not with the way it seated. Maybe Harleys have just spoiled me in that department.

lol each group says that their own group is the wavers.

it's equal for me. on my GS500 (with it's round headlight and small windshield) I get waves from both crowds, but it seems to be leaning towards the sport bikes (not squids) that do it.

regardless, I always throw out a little wave if I notice the bike. the main thing is I always seem to miss other riders until the last second

Dougald

I think here it's because most people who can afford a harley are generally guys who bought it solely as a mid-life crisis machine and ride it once a year, so they don't know the "etiquette", rather than being assholes

The ST was a damn comfortable bike but because of the sit up and beg riding position it did used to cramp my legs after a couple of hours. Thing was crying out for some footboards!

Dougald

Manx GP is this week, I'm heavily considering booking up for the Isle of Man TT next year. Bit of a ride for me but it would be worth it as the whole island is full of motorcycles for that week.

Damaged

Manx GP is this week, I'm heavily considering booking up for the Isle of Man TT next year. Bit of a ride for me but it would be worth it as the whole island is full of motorcycles for that week.

I keep meaning to head over for that myself, the ferry terminal is about five minutes drive from my house so no excuse really :(

Fixed1979

Question for someone who might know. On Tuesday evening I contacted a dealer in another town asking about delivery expectations for a new bike and was told that he would send off a request and get back to me once he hears something. I gave him a call yesterday around noon and he hadn't heard anything back, I don't want to keep bugging the guy but should that not be a quick answer? When I thought I was getting my Ninja the guy had an answer in 3 hours, this guy is approaching 48...

I'm starting to get the feeling that people just don't want to sell me a bike, I'm just going to start drive around in my car with the windows down and my gear on.

Question for someone who might know. On Tuesday evening I contacted a dealer in another town asking about delivery expectations for a new bike and was told that he would send off a request and get back to me once he hears something. I gave him a call yesterday around noon and he hadn't heard anything back, I don't want to keep bugging the guy but should that not be a quick answer? When I thought I was getting my Ninja the guy had an answer in 3 hours, this guy is approaching 48...

I'm starting to get the feeling that people just don't want to sell me a bike, I'm just going to start drive around in my car with the windows down and my gear on.

Have you thought of an alternative to the Ninja 300? I was going to wait as well but I figured i'd be better off getting a lot of experience on a bike i'm ok with so that I can start working towards (and be ready) the bike I really want a year from now. That's either going to be a Triumph Street Triple R or a MV Agusta Brutale 675.

Fixed1979

Have you thought of an alternative to the Ninja 300? I was going to wait as well but I figured i'd be better off getting a lot of experience on a bike i'm ok with so that I can start working towards (and be ready) the bike I really want a year from now. That's either going to be a Triumph Street Triple R or a MV Agusta Brutale 675.

The Street has been my first choice for the past year, it was only after doing my rider training I started to consider the 300 a bit more seriously, I'm still watching the classifieds on the hopes that something that isn't an R6 or Harley pops up... I dig the MV Brutale, but from my understanding the throttle is a bit "snatchy", but there's definitely a exclusive factor to owning one, and they are sexy of hell.

Before that it was one of the Triumph classics (bonny, thrux, scrambler) and someday I'll get one, but that'll be a bit further down the line.

The Street has been my first choice for the past year, it was only after doing my rider training I started to consider the 300 a bit more seriously, I'm still watching the classifieds on the hopes that something that isn't an R6 or Harley pops up... I dig the MV Brutale, but from my understanding the throttle is a bit "snatchy", but there's definitely a exclusive factor to owning one, and they are sexy of hell.

Before that it was one of the Triumph classics (bonny, thrux, scrambler) and someday I'll get one, but that'll be a bit further down the line.

What about something like one of the new Hondas (500)?

Fixed1979

What about something like one of the new Hondas (500)?

I was avoiding them at first, because there's no Honda dealership in my town, but now that I'm looking out of town anyway it might be worth taking a closer look at. At this point I'm just about ready to say to hell with it for the winter, and pick up again just before spring.

Brick

I'm still pretty new to riding, so this may be an incredibly dumb question, but do motorcycles do well in snow? Are there some that are designed for slick conditions? I only use it to commute 10 miles to work, and would prefer to not have to purchase a pile of junk car just to get through the winter (Live in Utah, btw).

Flo_Evans

I'm still pretty new to riding, so this may be an incredibly dumb question, but do motorcycles do well in snow? Are there some that are designed for slick conditions? I only use it to commute 10 miles to work, and would prefer to not have to purchase a pile of junk car just to get through the winter (Live in Utah, btw).

Just buy a snowmobile :p

Serious answer, you can do it but its not fun. Well it's fun to mess around but not if you have to go somewhere in 1 piece. You pretty much need to put studs in your tires... the only problem is when you hit a dry patch of pavement with studs in your tires. You need to go full snow ice or nothing.

Dougald

I know a guy who swore by the Honda Transalp in snow (in appropriate tyres).

Anecdotal of course.. plus this is the UK so our definition of "snow" is not gonna be the same as yours. Whatever you get, be prepared to drop it. But I'd think an enduro-type with proper chunky snow tyres would do ok.. I've seen them around here in the snow before.

I never ride in the snow (only time I don't), so I can't be of much more help

I keep meaning to head over for that myself, the ferry terminal is about five minutes drive from my house so no excuse really :(

More like 3 hours for me... plus fuel stops! Looks like most of the cheaper places are already booked out for the 2014 TT... Maybe I'll try for the 2014 Manx

Watevaman

I've seen too many videos of snow riders falling just getting their bikes out of the garage to know that it's not something I'd want to do.

Dougald

I've seen too many videos of snow riders falling just getting their bikes out of the garage to know that it's not something I'd want to do.

offroad would be fun!

But on the road with cars? I think I'd be under one in a few seconds. At the very least I'd want a light bike with chunky tyres and abs.. and I still probably wouldn't ride it

Damaged

The only advice I was given about riding in the snow was not to do it. I managed a few days in the snow last winter but dropped it at 5mph and compressed a vertebrae in my back so missed a couple of days riding. Next time I'm getting the train lol

Sarcasm

And here I am worried about knee deep water...I say don't do it.

My "oh shit" moment of the day. Stopped ad red light at an incline... Green light.... Stall.... Almost got rear ended.

Yesterday I was on my scooter and approached an intersection. Now this is a 4 lane road (so two on my side) and I was driving near the side line. There is a car in the far left who decides to lane change AND than turn right.
So is this my fault even though the car was in the left lane? I don't know..but since I am on a scooter no ABS..pumping my brakes AND still skidding. My scooters front decides to turn but still goes straight and bike starts to lean...
So I kick the ground repeatedly while this is all happening..I am actually standing up (scooter remember) and the car finally noticed me and stopped. I take this opportunity to gas it..worked in my favor. Bike immediately got traction and I was able to straighten it and veer around.

This all about 10 seconds +/-.

I was pissed...if I get hit they better get me good cause I'd beat the daylights out of them.

My "oh shit" moment of the day. Stopped ad red light at an incline... Green light.... Stall.... Almost got rear ended.

Part of the learning process. :p

Go somewhere and practice starting on inclines. You'll want to rev it up a bit more to get going and ride the clutch a bit more than normal. I keep myself stationary for a moment using the rear brake while I start to let on the power--prevents you from possibly rolling backwards or what-have-you.

Watevaman

Yeah, until you get used to your friction zone and how much throttle to give it, use the rear brake on inclines.

But to be honest, blipping on downshifts while also using the front brake will get you used to how much control you actually still have with your right hand while stretching over the brake level.

Dougald

That stuff is why I thank god I live in a country where 95% of cars are manual, so I never had too much problem with that

...on the bike, however on the car I had some spectacular stalls shortly after starting driving. You'll get it, just practice, practice practice! The key is if you feel it start to go and you don't want to give it more throttle, just pull the clutch back in.

Dougald

Still not enough bikes in this thread.. How about the new Enfield Cafe Racer, the Continental GT535? I hear it makes a whopping 35bhp, which is actually quite a lot for an Enfield..

Royal+Enfield+Continental+GT-Cafe+racer-04.jpg

Knowing Enfield it will probably at least be cheap as chips.

I was eying a Royal Enfield as a potential 2nd bike. More relaxed and unique. I just love how light these bikes look, especially in that military green.

For you big bike folks (480 lbs and up), how do you manage to not get tired at stops? Or is it that you rarely stop since these bikes are more road trip/freeway bikes?

Dougald

It's a surprisingly small bike... been considering trading my Bonneville for a Bullet though. Nothing like pootling around the British countryside on a retro bike.

My ST1100 was incredibly easy to ride, never got tired when riding, it could turn on a penny and take off like a rocket.

I got tired when parking it though. I'm short and it's just *so* hard to maneuver. I dropped it once and nearly dropped it a bunch of other times. Once got it stuck in the car park because I stupidly parked facing downhill, and another time when it was facing uphill on the centre stand and I couldn't roll it off! Oddly it was actually the easiest bike I've ever ridden to get *on* the centre stand though. I wouldn't recommend one to anyone under 5"8 really, that's why I think a HD tourer would make a good alternative, lower down.

Is there any way to have my knees bent less while on the bike? Someone mentioned rearsets the other day but I was under the impressions those were for more of a race-like position (i.e. a greater bend?).

I'm on a new-gen Ninja 250. I ask because my right knee gets sore after about an hour on touring-type rides.

Might just go to a different bike at the start of next season, but if there's a cheap solution that might be nice.

edit: This looks sexy... CRF250L

CRF250L-top-770x433.jpg

sheamus

I'm still pretty new to riding, and looking to buy a BTW F800GT as my first personal bike. my question is this a good starter bike.

Yeah, until you get used to your friction zone and how much throttle to give it, use the rear brake on inclines.

But to be honest, blipping on downshifts while also using the front brake will get you used to how much control you actually still have with your right hand while stretching over the brake level.

this, defs. last year i spent a bunch of weekends practicing right-hand brake/throttle action and it has paid serious dividends in my situational skills.

Dougald

I'm still pretty new to riding, and looking to buy a BTW F800GT as my first personal bike. my question is this a good starter bike.

It's a 90 horsepower entry level large-ish touring bike... so probably not. Maybe if you had to pass the european licensing requirements, and even then I would be wary.

sheamus

It's a 90 horsepower entry level large-ish touring bike... so probably not. Maybe if you had to pass the european licensing requirements, and even then I would be wary.

Well I have my Canadian motorcycle license(I do have experience with street bike and dirt bikes). what would be a good starter street bike or touring bike.

maybe an honda cb500x

Damaged

I was eying a Royal Enfield as a potential 2nd bike. More relaxed and unique. I just love how light these bikes look, especially in that military green.

For you big bike folks (480 lbs and up), how do you manage to not get tired at stops? Or is it that you rarely stop since these bikes are more road trip/freeway bikes?

I had one of these for a day as a loan bike when my Aprilia was a in for a service, it's great fun :)

Dougald

cbr250r sounds great, and you could certainly trade up to the 800 as a second bike. It's just that combination of power + heaviness that says it's bad as a first bike until you get your throttle control, etc down.

I had one of these for a day as a loan bike when my Aprilia was a in for a service, it's great fun :)

How'd it handle at motorway speeds? I know it probably won't do 70 very happily, what about 60? As a man with 2 bikes I do have some leeway!

Damaged

cbr250r sounds great, and you could certainly trade up to the 800 as a second bike. It's just that combination of power + heaviness that says it's bad as a first bike until you get your throttle control, etc down.

How'd it handle at motorway speeds? I know it probably won't do 70 very happily, what about 60? As a man with 2 bikes I do have some leeway!

It was still running in so I didn't go flat out but it seemed happy enough at 60. I wouldn't want to spend a day on the motorway though, just doesn't feel right on it and the acceleration or lack of it could get you into some trouble with traffic. Best on quiet a and b roads I think

Dougald

It was still running in so I didn't go flat out but it seemed happy enough at 60. I wouldn't want to spend a day on the motorway though, just doesn't feel right on it and the acceleration or lack of it could get you into some trouble with traffic. Best on quiet a and b roads I think

Yeah seems like a perfect country road/pub run bike really.

I do the odd long motorway run on the Triumph right now, but that's not really a requirement as I have the Yamaha, it's just done for fun! Maybe next year...

Rode a bit more over the weekend as the country roads weren't busy. I'm starting to get a feel for my upshifts but downshifts are still a challenge. The CBR250R is a really fun bike. Yeah the power isn't there but once you get over that you can start to focus on having fun. Right around sunset I see another rider crossing the other direction and we do the motorcycle wave. Highlight of the labor day weekend right there :D

Top Bottom