• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Pfft, I live in England, we'll have one week of 1-2in snow which will shut the country down (so I won't have to ride anyway). Other than that I'll be riding through the winter, freezing my fingers off!

I need to get those heated gloves ordered...

I am ready, new pair of HG trousers and heated grips. I just need to treat my winter gloves again to make them ready.

Also a good thing to do it wash and apply some ACF spray on all the front facing parts. Not the brakes.

Dougald

ACF: the sole defender of my motorcycles against the salted british motorways. Seriously, that stuff is incredible, I just make sure to wash the bike whenever its particularly grubby and re-apply ACF liberally.

I have heated grips someone gave me, but haven't bothered fitting them yet as I don't find them all that comfortable compared to the stock ones. Going to get a pair of Keis Heated Gloves (I already have a keis vest), hopefully that should be enough.

Dougald

Hmm good idea, I'll take a look

Max, which HG trousers did you buy? I need a new pair myself, my winter trousers had a small hole melted in them by the Bonneville's exhaust last winter, so I should really get a new pair.

The salt is what keeps me from riding in the winter.

I will get the chance to get the work on my Buell started however. Got all the parts I need. Changing out the oil pump drive gear and the front fork seals. Quite a bit of work. But by god it'll be done by spring. Can't wait to ride it again.

Watevaman

So guys, I've been looking into cruise control devices recently, as in order to get my bike home I have to go for a 4 hour ride that's all highway. Since my GS500 buzzes like mad at high speeds, I was looking for something to allow me a little bit of time to shake blood back into my hand if I needed to.

At first I couldn't find the cruise assist I was looking for, so I ended up ordering a Crampbuster. Well, that's already on the way and I actually found the cruise control I was looking for, called a Go-Cruise. Now, I'm assuming it'd be best to only have one of these devices on my throttle at a time? From the looks of things, the Crampbuster (I got a wide) will take up a good amount of real estate on my grip, and if I have the Go-Cruise on, it'll be at the inside of the throttle so I'd have a limited amount in the middle.

Hmm good idea, I'll take a look

Max, which HG trousers did you buy? I need a new pair myself, my winter trousers had a small hole melted in them by the Bonneville's exhaust last winter, so I should really get a new pair.

I tried on a few of them and found that the tourist was the best fit. My luck the more expensive one fits better for no reason.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/cloth...gore-texr-performance-shell-hose-schwarz.html

The other pair (torino) for 229 was also really nice.

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/cloth...gore-texr-performance-shell-hose-schwarz.html

I have not upgraded my kit in about 6 years so I was due for new ones. My old ones looked like a shark attacked them.

Dougald

Hmm I'll have to take a look. I just had a pair of £70 trousers from HG so it's time for an upgrade really. I'd like to keep with HG as then I don't have to mess about installing a zip to attach it into my HG jacket.

Triumph are doing a new "Meriden" style special edition Bonneville, looks great:

Bonneville%20Special%20Edition%202.jpg

Very nice bike that...

The trousers is allot of money as I spent £90 for my previous pair. But if I can buy something that last long and its dry and comfortable I am happy. My current pair was leaking really bad.

I was keen to go leather racing/sport trousers but for winter thats not going to help. I would like to do a few track days but at the moment I need the investment for my day to day riding gear. Maybe next summer I will get some sport leathers to go on the track.

Longshot

Would a Honda CBR 125 be a good bike to learn on and keep for just a year? Not keen on wasting my money on a used 250 that almost cost the same as a new bike over here (Australia). I'm quite a tall dude so I'd probably look unco on it but I'm not too fussed when I'm learning.

2008-Honda-CBR125R.jpg

TCRS

Banned
Yup, pretty good beginners bike.

All the winter riders here, why don't you get a winter hack? Sounds pretty good to me, get a cheap Honda CB500 or something, fix it on the cheap if needed and ride it during the winter. And then sell it in spring when people are looking for bikes.

I rode a scooter in London during winter so I never had to get one.

Fixed1979

Triumph are doing a new "Meriden" style special edition Bonneville, looks great:

Some day I'll own one of the Triumph twins, there's just something about it that screams "I am motorcycle".

Would a Honda CBR 125 be a good bike to learn on and keep for just a year? Not keen on wasting my money on a used 250 that almost cost the same as a new bike over here (Australia). I'm quite a tall dude so I'd probably look unco on it but I'm not too fussed when I'm learning.

Probably a great bike to learn on, but depending on how tall you're talking it might just be too uncomfortable. Personally I think a 125 would start to annoy me before a full year was up, but it would depend where you're riding.

2008-Honda-CBR125R.jpg

Definitely. I did my course on one of those and I see a lot of them around my school.

As long as you fit comfortably and are okay with a 125 (i.e. probably avoid freeways if possible) you should be fine. Just keep in mind they're slowww.

Dougald

The CBR125 is a lot more powerful than the other "learner" bikes, but it's still very good as a beginner machine

It's basically made to be a machine sold to beginners in the EU, as you can ride it with just a training certificate instead of a license. I see teenagers on them all the time, great bike. Only problem is it's pretty expensive for such a small displacement, at least here, but that's because it's so popular!

also, i really want a z1000 now. i rode a friend's and daaayyyyyom son that is one well balanced beast with some hefty grunt. it may make a kawa fan outta me yet!

also, i really want a z1000 now. i rode a friend's and daaayyyyyom son that is one well balanced beast with some hefty grunt. it may make a kawa fan outta me yet!

If I ever get to the point of seriously looking at liter bikes the Aprilia Tuono V4 would be my first test ride. Has anyone tried this yet?

122-1107-03-o+aprilia-tuono+.jpg

yup, ridden one. not a n00b bike, for sure!

loved my shiver despite all the issues (thanks to the previous owner). that was a really solid and agile street bike!

Damaged

If I ever get to the point of seriously looking at liter bikes the Aprilia Tuono V4 would be my first test ride. Has anyone tried this yet?

Yep, had a days test on it in the mountains in North Wales, fantastic bike, engine is great but the styling doesn’t really do it for me. My main concern is that it doesn't really feel fun below 90mph,everything under that and it just feels like it is building up and constantly needing to be opened up to get the best out of it. Just felt like too much bike for the road really. The traction control was very good and I only really felt it a couple of times so not too intrusive, the anti wheelie thing is needed but I would run it on its lowest setting (too much fun lifting the front out of corners on the power), I didn't have the balls to try the launch control so can't really say much about it.

At the end of the day I had a big grin on my face but a sore back, arse, and wrists. This is not a comfortable bike by any means.

Dougald

Just took in my buddy's Bonneville T100 for the winter as he is off to Afghanistan for 6 months.

Unfortunately it's got a couple of issues that I'd like to iron out before he gets back from on tour! One of the indicators is dead, which will be fun... but the other problem is the lacquer paint on the engine block is peeling away. Anyone ever done any touch up here? It's an aluminium-silver effect. I'm not going to strip the bike down but if I can improve it in-situ then I'm sure he'd be grateful.

I got a nice set of HELD gloves this weekend at Getgeared.co.uk. The guys service is always very good and they have a wide range of kit.

I do like my HELD gloves as it comes with a screen wiper and they are super comfy

iamblades

The tuono seems like an awesome bike, but I kinda really want a RSV4 Factory APRC as far as Aprilias go. There is no dealership in my state though, so I'll probably end up getting one of the new 899 Panigales when I finish paying off my monster. Or maybe an 848 Streetfighter.

Dougald

I got a nice set of HELD gloves this weekend at Getgeared.co.uk. The guys service is always very good and they have a wide range of kit.

I do like my HELD gloves as it comes with a screen wiper and they are super comfy

They good winter gloves? Which did you get, I have an old pair of held all-season leather gloves about, they were great but I prefer something more waterproof for winter. How are they for returns?

I just got some keis heated undergloves, as a result I need some slightly larger winter gloves to go with them (plus the liner in my old winter gloves is shot)

Talking of gloves, my absolute favourite is a pair of brown deerskin gloves from motolegends. They are absolutely fantastic, and soft as butter. Crap in the rain though.

Watevaman

So, I think after some thinking, I'm gonna look more into a 599 as a next bike. After some riding of the backroads at where I am for school, I've decided that all I really want is a bit more "get-up-and-go" from my next bike versus my GS500. My friend owns a 599 and from the little I've ridden it, it truly does feel like a more powerful GS. It's got the nice seating, nice handling, but it's got just enough power to really pull if you want it to. Another thing it has over the GS is that it'll do long interstate travel without me having to rev the shit out of it. Only thing I don't like is even the 2006 is still carb'd. As it turns out, I've gone from looking at nakeds->superbikes->supersports->nakeds.

I know you all love the Street Triple, but they're pretty hard to find here (at least for sale), so unless one's on the market when I'm ready to upgrade, I think I'll stick to the 599.

So guys, I've been looking into cruise control devices recently, as in order to get my bike home I have to go for a 4 hour ride that's all highway. Since my GS500 buzzes like mad at high speeds, I was looking for something to allow me a little bit of time to shake blood back into my hand if I needed to.

At first I couldn't find the cruise assist I was looking for, so I ended up ordering a Crampbuster. Well, that's already on the way and I actually found the cruise control I was looking for, called a Go-Cruise. Now, I'm assuming it'd be best to only have one of these devices on my throttle at a time? From the looks of things, the Crampbuster (I got a wide) will take up a good amount of real estate on my grip, and if I have the Go-Cruise on, it'll be at the inside of the throttle so I'd have a limited amount in the middle.

I used a Go-Cruise and a cramp buster on a 2000 mile trip from Salt Lake City to Monteray Calif. The Go-Cruise was totally worth the cost, and the cramp buster helped a bit to. I wasn't the lead rider in the group but I still get to use it a bit. I have mild carpol tunnel in my right wrist and those things helped quite a bit but I still had quite a bit of pain for a couple weeks after. But without them I probably would have been in immense pain.

Dougald

So, I think after some thinking, I'm gonna look more into a 599 as a next bike. After some riding of the backroads at where I am for school, I've decided that all I really want is a bit more "get-up-and-go" from my next bike versus my GS500. My friend owns a 599 and from the little I've ridden it, it truly does feel like a more powerful GS. It's got the nice seating, nice handling, but it's got just enough power to really pull if you want it to. Another thing it has over the GS is that it'll do long interstate travel without me having to rev the shit out of it. Only thing I don't like is even the 2006 is still carb'd. As it turns out, I've gone from looking at nakeds->superbikes->supersports->nakeds.

I know you all love the Street Triple, but they're pretty hard to find here (at least for sale), so unless one's on the market when I'm ready to upgrade, I think I'll stick to the 599.

I had to google that, damn manufacturers changing their names for markets. It's called the Hornet in Euro-Speak.

Great bike, I actually considered one before I bought the FZS600, only reason I didn't get it is I wanted the extra bit of fairing on the Yamaha for the winter.

They good winter gloves? Which did you get, I have an old pair of held all-season leather gloves about, they were great but I prefer something more waterproof for winter. How are they for returns?

I just got some keis heated undergloves, as a result I need some slightly larger winter gloves to go with them (plus the liner in my old winter gloves is shot)

Talking of gloves, my absolute favourite is a pair of brown deerskin gloves from motolegends. They are absolutely fantastic, and soft as butter. Crap in the rain though.

Its not on their site any more as it was the last ones on the sale. I will have a look at the model this evening and let you know. They are a pair of between summer and winter gloves so its good for all weather. I had a pair of bmw GS short gloves and they where just finished.

So my friend and I are planning a motorcycle trip (trip as in thousands of miles) for the summer and we've started our hunt for bikes. We figure get something used and fairly affordable during the fall/winter giving us time to get used to them and fix them up if need be. Any suggestions on what we should be looking for? My friend generally knows what the hell he's talking about, but I figure GAF's opinion couldn't hurt.

Fixed1979

Uhm guys, new BMW bike:

It's called the R nineT (meh), 1170cc air cooled boxer, 110hp, 88lbft, 222kg fueled and seat height of 785mm. At first I thought that thing must have a ridiculous seat height of +800 or something, but 785 is not bad at all. I think I like it.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/bmw-ninet-specs-and-pictures/23765.html
pics from: http://www.motorradonline.de/motorraeder/bmw-r-ninet-jubilaeums-roadster/491226#1-491236

Niiiice...very hot.

Flo_Evans

Sort of want that bmw...

BMW-R-NineT-studio-21-635x476.jpg

Looks like you can completely remove tail

or put a cap on it

BMW-R-NineT-studio-27-635x476.jpg

ti high exhaust

BMW-R-NineT-studio-11-635x476.jpg

Classy headlamp

BMW-R-NineT-studio-08-635x476.jpg

wonder how much it will cost...

Damaged

Uhm guys, new BMW bike:

050_BMW%20R%20nineT%20Jubilaeumsmodell%20BMW%20Roadster%202013.jpg.2578854.jpg

090_BMW%20R%20nineT%20Jubilaeumsmodell%20BMW%20Roadster%202013.jpg.2578894.jpg

It's called the R nineT (meh), 1170cc air cooled boxer, 110hp, 88lbft, 222kg fueled and seat height of 785mm. At first I thought that thing must have a ridiculous seat height of +800 or something, but 785 is not bad at all. I think I like it.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/bmw-ninet-specs-and-pictures/23765.html
pics from: http://www.motorradonline.de/motorraeder/bmw-r-ninet-jubilaeums-roadster/491226#1-491236

Not a fan. The rear subframe with the pillion pegs looks like an after thought, the front headlight doesn't match the styling of the rest of the bike, and finally you have an 1170cc engine only putting out 110bhp?

The Aprilia Caponord is 1197 and putting out 128bhp (and only weighing a tad more than the bmw) as a touring bike so what is this supposed to be? its underpowered for a naked bike of that capacity and it certainly doesn't look comfortable enough to be a touring bike.

Fixed1979

Not a fan. The rear subframe with the pillion pegs looks like an after thought, the front headlight doesn't match the styling of the rest of the bike, and finally you have an 1170cc engine only putting out 110bhp?

The Aprilia Caponord is 1197 and putting out 128bhp (and only weighing a tad more than the bmw) as a touring bike so what is this supposed to be? its underpowered for a naked bike of that capacity and it certainly doesn't look comfortable enough to be a touring bike.

110bhp really doesn't seem out of line to me on a naked, I was surprised they were using an 1170cc to do it though. It is definitely a little on the heavy side. Curious to see the price tag.

Damaged

110bhp really doesn't seem out of line to me on a naked, I was surprised they were using an 1170cc to do it though. It is definitely a little on the heavy side. Curious to see the price tag.

I think it either needs to be a smaller engine at the same bhp so carrying less weight or the boxer putting out more power to make it go like they are trying to make it look, otherwise its just an overweight poser. I should imagine it will carry the BMW premium on the price, I'm sure some people will pay for it.

Horrible. It took me a while to get used to the S1000RR's looks, but I can tell that is a bike I will never care for...it looks like a much uglier Diavel.

I'm starting to fall in love with the Ducati Hypermotard. The versatility of this kind of bike means I can keep my CBR250 for short runs and have a fun bike that can go (sort of) of road. Anyone here have a chance to test ride the 2013 model?

Dougald

I actually love it, especially the classic headlamp. BMW invariably means it'll be less bike for more money though, too rich for my blood...

I prefer the K1300RR when you're talking naked (ish) BMWs anyway:

So my friend and I are planning a motorcycle trip (trip as in thousands of miles) for the summer and we've started our hunt for bikes. We figure get something used and fairly affordable during the fall/winter giving us time to get used to them and fix them up if need be. Any suggestions on what we should be looking for? My friend generally knows what the hell he's talking about, but I figure GAF's opinion couldn't hurt.

Honestly you can tour on anything you like as long as it's fun - I did it on a Bonneville

Sounds like you want cheap though so I suggest something Japanese and maybe shaft drive if you can so there's no chain to worry about. The ST1100 is a brilliant tourer but they hold their value too damn well (I sold mine for what I paid for it), and probably a bit big for most peoples tastes.

Whatever you get, get a decent SEAT! Either a gel insert or an Air Hog inflatable cushion should help (I used the latter, helped on those long motorway miles).

Oh, and if possible, don't plan out anything more than a rough route - having the freedom to go down any road that looks like it might be fun, or get lost and just heading in the right direction on the compass is what was the most fun for me on my trip.

It had a lot of torque though, about 120nm at 6k rpm. Still, I guess it's not really a bike about numbers.

Have to admit, it's starting to grow on me a little. But it'll probably be way, way overpriced.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say 19.000 euros here in the Netherlands. 22 if you want some of the nicer bits.

I'm starting to fall in love with the Ducati Hypermotard. The versatility of this kind of bike means I can keep my CBR250 for short runs and have a fun bike that can go (sort of) of road. Anyone here have a chance to test ride the 2013 model?

No, I haven't, but the newer models have a new water cooled 4 valve 821cc engine instead of the air cooled 2 valve engines (796cc and 1100cc) the Hypermotard used to have. It also has a more rounded look to it instead of the angular aggresive look of the old bike.

It does have ABS and different traction control modes. So the new model is probably a more refined bike. But I prefer one of the older ones, especially their design.

I have ridden the 796 Monster (my then girlfriend purchased that when I went for the 1100) and it offers plenty of power. So... look for one of those (in Hypermotard guise). Don't know if it's very off-road capable with standard tires or the way the suspension is setup :).

Dougald

Good point about the tacked-on pillion seat/pegs, though.

I suspect that's only done because single-seat bikes generally cost an arm and a leg to insure, as brokers see them as race bikes. It was probably never meant to be used with a passenger in the first place.

Dougald

I'm sure I could figure a way to do it....

Actually I'd probably hate having a sidecar, a bike that doesn't lean (unless you have a TT setup) must suck in corners.

I did once meet a guy with a Goldwing with a massive double-width sidecar that his two daughters sat in (and his wife rode pillion). Thing was wider than any car on the road.

Fixed1979

Has anyone recently purchase a rear paddock stand in Canada? I was just going to order a Triumph one with some other parts but they're not available right now. I looked at Pitbull, but it appears I can only order directly from them and they want more than 100 bucks for shipping.

Has anyone recently purchase a rear paddock stand in Canada? I was just going to order a Triumph one with some other parts but they're not available right now. I looked at Pitbull, but it appears I can only order directly from them and they want more than 100 bucks for shipping.

Check other bike shops. They are pretty common items so it shouldn't be hard to find one. I know for a fact that one of my local shops sells Pitbull (I'm in Canada too) so it's definitely not order-only.

I bought an inexpensive stand from Royal Distributing, seems to be working fine.

Top Bottom