• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Would I need to unmount the tire to do that? I have no tools with me.

You can do the sticks that you plug the hole with and if you need something a bit more secure use the mushroom plugs. For the mushroom plugs you going to need to take the tyre off. For the rubber sticks you can plug from the outside.

Mushrooms plugs looks like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYRE-PUNC...PATCH-MUSHROOM-CAR-VAN-X-5-GLUE-/200863694601

Sticks
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-VAN-T...304?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25892e3ee8

I have used both and they work great.

Aww yea, passed my motorcycle test, and purchased my first bike. It arrives Sunday. I'm excited!

j3CPNgdm9Lv06.jpg

Watevaman

I gotta give props to you guys who only own a dualsport. I don't think I could do that. Sure, if I had money for more than one bike, a dualsport would be there, but no way could I have one as my only bike.

Watevaman

I'm a fan of speed and handling. I know dualsports aren't slouches in those regards, but standards and sport bikes are more built to that purpose.

senahorse

The purpose of a dual sport is all in the name. I can ride on the road until I get to the trails and continue without a care in the world, a sports bike doesn't allow that. For adventuring its essentially the only choice.

i'd like to do dirt, but the public trails are rare and it takes travel to get to 'em, so i'd either need a pickup which DO NOT WANT or i'd hafta ride a couple hours to 'em on a dual sport, and based on my time on a drz400 and a klr650 OWWW MY ASS ALSO DO NOT WANT.

a big gs isn't much of an off-road ride, and i'm not sure i'd consider it a dual-sport. (i take "adv bike" as short hand for "old guy poser bike" but lol me.) i guess they're comfy for some folks who want to tour and take the occasional gravel or beat up secondary?

i'm a street and highway bro. gimme the long sweepers and the lakeside hairpins, and the winding sunset stretches into and out of exurbia.

Speaking of dual-sports... Just fired up my DR650 after it sat in the garage all winter. First nice day around here will be this Saturday. I didn't even need to charge the battery to start! (feels good man)

i'd like to do dirt, but the public trails are rare and it takes travel to get to 'em, so i'd either need a pickup which DO NOT WANT or i'd hafta ride a couple hours to 'em on a dual sport, and based on my time on a drz400 and a klr650 OWWW MY ASS ALSO DO NOT WANT.

a big gs isn't much of an off-road ride, and i'm not sure i'd consider it a dual-sport. (i take "adv bike" as short hand for "old guy poser bike" but lol me.) i guess they're comfy for some folks who want to tour and take the occasional gravel or beat up secondary?

i'm a street and highway bro. gimme the long sweepers and the lakeside hairpins, and the winding sunset stretches into and out of exurbia.

KTM.

aside: if i was in the market for a bike, i'd be praying they (ktm) bring the rc390 over as that would appear to be my perfect track bike.

how are the big ktm adv bikes relative to the bmw gs pigs? the 990 adv looks equally cumbersome and monstrous.

IF you are a skilled rider, here is a rood example of what the KTM990 can do off road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ihcrJnIBg
(the guy is a former motocross racer, but I don't know what level he competed at).

IMO, weight is the most important thing when riding off-road, and I do pretty well with my DR650.
KTM 990 Adventure is 456lbs w/o fuel.
BMW 1200 Adventure is 573 lbs with fuel.
Suzuki DR650 is 366 lbs.
Kawi KRL is 432 lbs.

And if you're worried about ass pain, you can always get better seats. (BMW and KTM would probably have the nicest seats).

If I was in your boat I'd get the KTM, a comfy seat and some 50/50 tires.

IF you are a skilled rider, here is a rood example of what the KTM990 can do off road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ihcrJnIBg
(the guy is a former motocross racer, but I don't know what level he competed at).

IMO, weight is the most important thing when riding off-road, and I do pretty well with my DR650.
KTM 990 Adventure is 456lbs w/o fuel.
BMW 1200 Adventure is 573 lbs with fuel.
Suzuki DR650 is 366 lbs.
Kawi KRL is 432 lbs.

And if you're worried about ass pain, you can always get better seats. (BMW and KTM would probably have the nicest seats).

If I was in your boat I'd get the KTM, a comfy seat and some 50/50 tires.

Holy crap. Why is the KLR so much heavier than the DR? I just kind of assumed they were pretty close in weight...

Holy crap. Why is the KLR so much heavier than the DR? I just kind of assumed they were pretty close in weight...

Liquid cooled, 6 gallon gas tank, windshield, fairings. The KLR is a great bike at what it does, but the DR650 with a windshield, and after market tank would a much better choice IMO.

Both bikes are waaaay due for a major redesign. I would love if both bikes could become fuel injected, shed some pounds, and get their major engine fault taken care of (KLRs have the "doohickey" failure to worry about, and DR650's have the NSU. Once you fix that your engine is bulletproof.)

senahorse

Had an awesome ride in the bush with a friend and my gf today. This is the first time we have done some serious off-road on the new bikes, so we trailered them out there rather than ride out. We started the morning with a ride up to the top of a mountain and cooked some bacon and egg burgers (to much envy of other riders that turned up) before heading out deep into the bush and forest. We ended up doing about 80km's (~50 mile) and did it all, rocky gravel roads, clay sections through dense forest, hill climbs and I did my first jumps! (there was a great section with some fast whoops and I decided to gun it, held on and got some air :D). I had two 'moments', coming in too fast into a downhill corner and lost control and threw the bike and just ran behind it a bit and another (again too fast around a downhill corner, this time very fatigued) 'moment' where I ended up an embankment. Unlike silly me, my gf wasn't taking any risks but she was the better for it and remained upright the whole day. There were a number of times (especially with some of the hill climbs) where I thought she wasn't going to attempt it, let alone make it (her first ever serious off-road ride), but she perservered and made it through everything unscathed, at the end of the day I told her she was like the terminator for T2, in that she just kept coming :).

All in all it was an amazing day and we will be doing the same again next weekend. Also today we were both using our full off-road gear for the first time and man was it tough at first changing gears with MX boots, also I found myself very heavy footed on the brake pedal (not good when you're on steep descents with one side being a sheer drop off a cliff, eek. Getting used to now though and I think for next time I will pop the gear lever up a few notches.

Oh yeah did I mention it was dusty?

dirtday2_zpsb725e580.jpg~original

dirtyday1_zps41073a9a.jpg~original

senahorse

I am very lucky to have her, she is keen to give anything a go, we also both love video games, sci-fi, and other cool (imo) things we are the perfect nerd match :D

iamblades

Liquid cooled, 6 gallon gas tank, windshield, fairings. The KLR is a great bike at what it does, but the DR650 with a windshield, and after market tank would a much better choice IMO.

Both bikes are waaaay due for a major redesign. I would love if both bikes could become fuel injected, shed some pounds, and get their major engine fault taken care of (KLRs have the "doohickey" failure to worry about, and DR650's have the NSU. Once you fix that your engine is bulletproof.)

^^ this is the big one.

Liquid cooling instantly adds like 50 lbs to any bike.

benzy

Yamaha's 2014 R25 250cc prototype. Design is based on their M1 MotoGP.

Only info is it's liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, in-line, 2-cylinder, fuel injected engine with a 249cm3 displacement.

Hoping the production model looks similar. Beats out the Ninja 300 and CBR300r in aesthetics at least imo.

img02_600x0w.jpg

Yamaha-R25-250-Concept.jpg

Rossi-Yamaha-R25.jpg

Yahama-R25.jpg

did a quick 200 mile slab run (100 mi down, breakfast, and back) on the beemer down to olympia. OMG SO STABLE even in pretty blustery winds! gotta adjust to the touchy gearbox, though -- it needs full clutch disengagement on downshifts, whereas with the shiver and the gladius i could blip, partial pull and downshift. still, AMAZING FUCKIN' BIKE. will be a great sport tourer for the summer!

The Bike arrived today!! I snapped a few quick pics. Funnily enough, when the gentleman arrived to demo the bike, the battery was dead. I didn't have a charger so the seller had to buy a new battery for it. Even better, the only batteries that come charged for this bike are some sort of expensive lithium ion battery. So, I got a new lightweight-awesome battery that I won't have to worry about.

Dougald

Looks great! Did you manage to get out for a ride?

Put a couple hundred miles on the bike yesterday, as the storms we've been getting in the UK finally broke. Unfortunately, the road the caf we were heading to was on was completely flooded. Roads were pretty awful too (partial flooding and trees down on any of the nice twisty backroads). Roll on Spring..

Wow, it looks mint. Very nice!

Thanks. Yes , it seems to be in great shape. The lady that owned it bought it used from bmw in 2008, and only drove it 500 miles a year. The bike has 11k on the odometer

Looks great! Did you manage to get out for a ride?

Put a couple hundred miles on the bike yesterday, as the storms we've been getting in the UK finally broke. Unfortunately, the road the caf we were heading to was on was completely flooded. Roads were pretty awful too (partial flooding and trees down on any of the nice twisty backroads). Roll on Spring..

Yes , i took it through some light twisty roads up some small mountains near my house

Dougald

If you took it out the first time and didn't drop it in a hilarious, clumsy manner (preferably while you're not even moving), then you're already better than a lot of people :)

The Bike arrived today!! I snapped a few quick pics. Funnily enough, when the gentleman arrived to demo the bike, the battery was dead. I didn't have a charger so the seller had to buy a new battery for it. Even better, the only batteries that come charged for this bike are some sort of expensive lithium ion battery. So, I got a new lightweight-awesome battery that I won't have to worry about.

Great looking bike... I see you got the helmet to go with the bike colour. So now it getting use to the bike and enjoying the ride. Also you will see for the first few long runs you will be tired. This is where you build up a bit of bike fitness. The more you ride the more comfortable it gets. I went out this weekend for 2 hour blast and I was tired when I got home after not riding for 2 months. Another tip build some time to into your departure time to get ready... takes me 5min to get sorted out and get going. But in this time I get set my mind in bike mode to think about all the other people that is on the road and that I need to watch out for them. Might sound stupid but man people dont look out for you so you have to do it.

enjoy the bike

If you took it out the first time and didn't drop it in a hilarious, clumsy manner (preferably while you're not even moving), then you're already better than a lot of people :)

hey, first time on the shiver, i rode that snatchy throttle bastard 35 miles back from the dealer with nary an issue, although in retrospect i bet i looked like a noob. i was so damn proud of myself. i thought i had some rossi-level skillz with that shit.

the following day, i was rolling up our driveway to the garage, gave a little too much throttle, grabbed the front brake in a panic, slipped my foot on the moss, turned the wheel and LOL DOWN LOL. my wife said she was horrified for me all the while laughing at how tardo i looked.

when i lifted it up, i hulkraged and threw it over on the other side and broke off the brake lever. :~( then my wife just laughed, period. :-(

(thankfully, it was pretty heavily used and had seen a couple downs at the track by the previous owner. still, not the best first bike for a total n00b. getting parts for that bastard was a nightmare, and GOTT BLESS AF1 RACING)

Dougald

So far I'm 3 for 3 on my bikes - slipped in gravel backing out the triumph, ended up underneath it. Slipped on a patch of oil parking the ST1100, ended up underneath it...

The Fazer has been down, but to be fair that wasn't my fault. I started her up, turned around to put on my helmet, turned back around to find out it had casually rolled off the sidestand. At least picking up the Fazer was easy. Getting the ST1100 upright was like trying to move the titanic.

lol funny you guys should mention early drops. I almost did that doing a u turn on my steep driveway but I managed to save it. My biggest problem is shifting. Ugh i stink at it. Already killed the bike in the middle of a busy ass intersection.

shifting takes practice. find a big parking lot of a sunday morning and ride until your clutch hand looks like michael j fox's.

for upshifts, preload with the foot underneath the lever, then do a partial clutch pull and nudge it up. helps to have the revs up before shifting. if i'm short-shifting, i'll give the throttle a tiny-ass blip while i bump the lever up to juice the engine speed.

for downshifts, read up on rev matching. basically, pull the clutch and at the SAME time blip the throttle and kick down to the lower gear. you can let the clutch right out and, if done properly, engine speed should match rear wheel speed when the clutch engages and it'll be a really smooth transition (no whine).

i'd say it took me about 800ish miles on the '08 shiver (750cc) before i got decent at shifting smoothly. that was a terrible choice for a first bike, but the price was insanely low due to the exterior abuse, the weight/balance seemed great when i sat it, and i wanted an unusual (or so it seemed to me) bike. DERP. boy, the salesturd told me EVERYTHING i wanted to hear to get it off the lot: "ah, the power's totally manageable!" "i'd ride this as a first bike, no problem." "you'll appreciate the big first gears starting out, you won't hafta shift above second in town! it's almost like a scooter" AHHH HURRRR. once i got 2.5K miles on it and felt i could ride about anything with a vague sort of confidence, it done got traded for a gladius. that was a MUCH better starter, and i love it so much i don't plan to sell it. i could hoon on that little bike all fuckin' day (and somedays i do, when i COULD be trolling gaf nintendiddlers).

Watevaman

Hate to toot my own horn but shifting on a motorcycle was never a problem for me. I'm pretty good with clutch control for the most part.

Now, actually getting the bike to pop into gear is another story...

Hate to toot my own horn but shifting on a motorcycle was never a problem for me. I'm pretty good with clutch control for the most part.

Now, actually getting the bike to pop into gear is another story...

Heh. They scariest thing ever is when you accidentally shift to neutral. Scares the shit out of me every time.

shifting takes practice. find a big parking lot of a sunday morning and ride until your clutch hand looks like michael j fox's.

for upshifts, preload with the foot underneath the lever, then do a partial clutch pull and nudge it up. helps to have the revs up before shifting. if i'm short-shifting, i'll give the throttle a tiny-ass blip while i bump the lever up to juice the engine speed.

for downshifts, read up on rev matching. basically, pull the clutch and at the SAME time blip the throttle and kick down to the lower gear. you can let the clutch right out and, if done properly, engine speed should match rear wheel speed when the clutch engages and it'll be a really smooth transition (no whine).

i'd say it took me about 800ish miles on the '08 shiver (750cc) before i got decent at shifting smoothly. that was a terrible choice for a first bike, but the price was insanely low due to the exterior abuse, the weight/balance seemed great when i sat it, and i wanted an unusual (or so it seemed to me) bike. DERP. boy, the salesturd told me EVERYTHING i wanted to hear to get it off the lot: "ah, the power's totally manageable!" "i'd ride this as a first bike, no problem." "you'll appreciate the big first gears starting out, you won't hafta shift above second in town! it's almost like a scooter" AHHH HURRRR. once i got 2.5K miles on it and felt i could ride about anything with a vague sort of confidence, it done got traded for a gladius. that was a MUCH better starter, and i love it so much i don't plan to sell it. i could hoon on that little bike all fuckin' day (and somedays i do, when i COULD be trolling gaf nintendiddlers).

thanks for the tips. Im pretty ok once i get out of first gear. My biggest problem is going from a stop, and getting the bike accelerating fast enough without accidentally killing it. To be fair, this is my first go at trying to drive anything with a manual transmission, so i suppose initial difficulties are to be expected.

Dougald

I'd kill myself on that bike, but I've always lusted after the Super Duke. Think I would probably get the 690 just to save my own life/wallet/drivers license

Its weird how they would like more power but no place to hide behind. You dont see allot of people doing massive high speeds longish rides on naked bikes... but then this is just what I have seen.

Watevaman

Heh. They scariest thing ever is when you accidentally shift to neutral. Scares the shit out of me every time.

Tip for that: always give it a good kick, and unless you're racing, don't pin the throttle. I've definitely had my share of "oh, you don't want to go into second?" around town, especially while wearing different shoes than my motorcycle boots.

Top Bottom