• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I tend to get that occasionally on my Yamaha, nice big rev and nothing happens

On the Bonneville it's more a case of "you want to go into neutral? well fuck you, I'm not going to let you" - normally at a Petrol station. Inching the bike forward a bit seems to fix it

Watevaman

Yeah, the GS500 has a tendency to do both of those. Shift into neutral while riding, not shift into it while at a stop. Rolling the bike is good advice for any motorcycle, as it lines the gears up.

the f800 hits a false neutral on 5th->4th downshifts sometimes, that's a nice puckerbuster the first few times. now i'm all "eh, fuck you rotax," pull the clutch and kick it down properlike.

the scariest thing ever is actually a stall at 60+ mph while leaning...

Apath

man, i really want a ninja 300. had a dream about riding one last night, and now it's all i can think about. someone buy me one.
Is that a solid choice for a beginner bike? I've been looking around to buy one next year, and I honestly don't know how many miles I should be looking for when buying used. It seems the 300 is a recent model so the used pickings are slim.

Is that a solid choice for a beginner bike? I've been looking around to buy one next year, and I honestly don't know how many miles I should be looking for when buying used. It seems the 300 is a recent model so the used pickings are slim.

Any 250, 300, or 500 will do you fine. Mileage isn't a big deal as long as it's been well taken care of.

the scariest thing ever is actually a stall at 60+ mph while leaning...

Hah, my Monster used to do that until they made some adjustments to the throttle position sensor. Made for an interesting moment when I came fishtailing onto a roundabout cause the fucker had stalled.

/edit: stalled at significant speed that is.

Tip for that: always give it a good kick, and unless you're racing, don't pin the throttle. I've definitely had my share of "oh, you don't want to go into second?" around town, especially while wearing different shoes than my motorcycle boots.

Aye. Every time it has happened was when I was wearing different boots than normal, and only after a stoplight.

The scariest thing ever is actually a stall at 60+ mph while leaning...
I will certainly give you that.

a fine choice. they're light, have a great gearbox, and got some great hustle in the upper rev ranges where a newbie's gonna hafta work to get to (instead of torque right off the twist).

Sat on a Versys today, a CB500X, a few others... anyone ridden a Versys? My shop probably can get a really good deal on a demo model.

What are things to look for to get a good idea of how well taken care of the bike was?

Someone else can give you a better answer, but I'd look for a complete maintenance record, how clean the bike is, how knowledgeable the owner is etc.

KTM reportedly has better handling, it looks better, and seems to have a crazier engine. I'm guessing the BMW fairs well, but KTM comes out on top. We'll see!

Also heard that the engine is a beast... its one of the bikes that I have not ridden... they say the 1000 engine is nice and smooth. I dont want to test drive it as my wallet has just recovered haha

Still working on the wife to see if I can get a little fun MSX125... no luck so far. I keep on mentioning it every night in the hope she will tell me to just go and get it lol

Gritesh

Getting excited it won't be too much longer before spring comes to Alberta and soon after I can get some more time in with my monster evo.

I really want to get a dirt bike this summer too, but I severely doubt the wife would allow that to happen haha.

senahorse

Bit of rain today, tomorrow (Saturday), small chance of a shower and a top of 28C (82F), looks like I am hitting the dirt again :D

Gritesh, do I what I did, get her involved, gives you another riding buddy as well ;)

Sat on a Versys today, a CB500X, a few others... anyone ridden a Versys? My shop probably can get a really good deal on a demo model.

I owned a 2009 Versys for about 5 months last year. That was a sweet bike. Had a very nice power curve, fuel injected, easy to ride, reasonably good selection of aftermarket parts/upgrades/luggage that won't break the bank. I took it on a 2100 mile road trip and had zero issues with it.

I did sell the bike tho because I'm more of a cruiser and dirt bike guy. So I replaced it with a Suzuki DR650, and hope to get a Harley Sportster 1200 in the future.

I do miss the bike tho :')

The forum at http://www.kawasakiversys.com/ is really good to.

dnaCenR.jpg

hb6Nqbt.jpg

Fixed1979

Getting excited it won't be too much longer before spring comes to Alberta and soon after I can get some more time in with my monster evo.

I really want to get a dirt bike this summer too, but I severely doubt the wife would allow that to happen haha.

If you're saying not much longer I'm guessing you're in Calgary...it's still bloody cold up here in the Fort. Though I did order new gloves, as well as chest and back armor for my jacket yesterday in anticipation.

I owned a 2009 Versys for about 5 months last year. That was a sweet bike. Had a very nice power curve, fuel injected, easy to ride, reasonably good selection of aftermarket parts/upgrades/luggage that won't break the bank. I took it on a 2100 mile road trip and had zero issues with it.

I did sell the bike tho because I'm more of a cruiser and dirt bike guy. So I replaced it with a Suzuki DR650, and hope to get a Harley Sportster 1200 in the future.

Looks really nice. Can I ask how tall are you, and did you find it top heavy? What was your previous bike? I'm coming from a Ninja 250 which I know is a good bit lighter. Thanks.

Wow. That looks awesome.

Looks really nice. Can I ask how tall are you, and did you find it top heavy? What was your previous bike? I'm coming from a Ninja 250 which I know is a good bit lighter. Thanks.

I'm about 5 foot 11, and before the Versys I had a Honda Shadow VLX and a Yamaha TTR250 (with street legal kit). I sold the Shadow and Yamaha shortly after getting the Versys because I couldn't afford to keep all the bikes :(

aUm6bO1.jpg

The Versys is a little bit top heavy, and I almost dropped it once in a sloped parking lot because I was going to slow. My dad had dropped his Goldwing in the spot just minutes before I almost did the same thing! lol

The Versys is the only "sport" bike I have experience with. The Shadow was easy to ride because it was low, and the Versys was easy to ride because it had very light steering. But the Shadow had heavy steering (like most/all cruisers), and the Versys was tall.

Wow. That looks awesome.

Thanks, I've always found having nice photos helps sell bikes.

Watevaman

Had a beautiful 60 degree day today so I went for a ride. Unfortunately there's sand everywhere but it was still a pleasant day. Tons of other bikes out, too, ended up following some Harley rider for about 20 minutes.

Brick

After riding a scooter for most of last year, I finally pulled the trigger and got my first motorcycle. 2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX. I love this thing so much.

DSC00028.jpg

All I want to do is ride it up the mountains while grinning like an idiot, but I can't get it registered until Monday.

Apath

a fine choice. they're light, have a great gearbox, and got some great hustle in the upper rev ranges where a newbie's gonna hafta work to get to (instead of torque right off the twist).
Looking it over, I think I'll opt for a 250R. The 300 is awesome looking and everything, but they are just too expensive. And let's face it, I will more than likely drop it a few times or fuck it up in some way, so it's better to start off with something cheaper.
Someone else can give you a better answer, but I'd look for a complete maintenance record, how clean the bike is, how knowledgeable the owner is etc.
I'll remember that. Knowledge of the owner sounds like a great tip, as I guess that would probably mean they at least know how to take care of it.

I've been watching videos to understand the inner workings of the bike as well as the big things that require semi-regular maintenance. Hopefully after a few months I'll be knowledgeable enough to find a decent bike for around $2,000.

After riding a scooter for most of last year, I finally pulled the trigger and got my first motorcycle. 2007 Honda Shadow 600 VLX. I love this thing so much.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/brettrick/DSC00028.jpg[IMG]

All I want to do is ride it up the mountains while grinning like an idiot, but I can't get it registered until Monday.[/QUOTE]

Nice VLX. I had a 93 for about 4 years, and it was a dang fine bike, even tho it was 20 years old when I sold it (you can see it in the photo I posted above). Also, I think we may be "neighbors"!

[IMG/]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/brettrick/DSC00028.jpg[/IMG]

All I want to do is ride it up the mountains while grinning like an idiot, but I can't get it registered until Monday.

I have a 2001 Honda Shadow VLX 600. Definitely not a bad choice broski.

Watevaman

it's the little things that make riding so fun. went out a few times this weekend and each time had a kid staring at me from the backseat or something. a little wave and they wave back, a little rev and they do their :O face. so rewarding

Depends on the mileage I guess, but it can't be much, right?

Price seems really good. It goes for over twice as much here in the Netherlands (new though).

They say the first batch is all sold out and even if someone from bmw wont one they have to wait almost a year... it does look like a nice and easy bike to ride. Back to basics

Good review between the BMW and the Super Duke

Comparison-Test | KTM 1290 Super Duke R vs BMW S 1000 R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKd_6DGdFj4

Enjoy

Horrible.

They didn't cover the brakes, or honestly the handling. They just talked entirely about engine characteristic. So, the S1000R has considerably more conservative electronics vs the Super Duke 1290R. Also, the BMW does a better job at 250KPH due to higher stability (which translates to more sluggish handling when using either bike for what the class is intended for). That is the last thing I would buy a naked bike for. Going too far into triple digits is hell. If you want a BMW that handles those speeds well you buy a fucking S1000RR. Dumbass review. Maybe if they had done it in German it would have been better. The main pluses I see for the BMW they did mention...price and factory options (available quickshifter, electronic suspension [oooo]).

edit: WTF how is the nineT more expensive than the S1000R? Hahahaha...

Top Bottom