• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

senahorse

XMAS has arrived :D.

2013 WR250R for me and in the background a 2014 XT250 for my gf:

bikes_zpsbee6d497.png~original

Got to do a ride today on our first day of winter. It was in the mid 60s in a lot of areas! Roads were not the best, as this picture indicates:

11485232503_dbfa83e142_c.jpg

Watevaman

Same here, went for a nice ride. Tomorrow's gonna be even warmer but it's supposed to rain and there's still tons of salt and sand on the roads so I'm not gonna touch the bike if it's wet out.

senahorse

I would love to have a WR250R, that bike would be great for me in Brooklyn. I keep looking up bike stuff and doing research. I could afford to get a bike and gear but then I look at insurance...damn it is expensive here. I would like to have theft coverage but it adds so much to the cost. More than doubles the premium.

I was surprised how cheap insurance is here (Australia), for full comprehensive insurance (including theft), it's only $20/month for the WR and $19 for the XT.

Man I just love the look of that carbon cans...

Even though the carbon cap/titanium can option looked really nice, the full carbon Akras just won me over.

I got out this past Saturday thanks to a freak turn in the weather. Is anyone doing a New Years Day ride today (bonus points if you live somewhere where it gets cold)?

You guys are lucky. My bike is sitting in a heated warehouse somewhere and will be there for the next 3 months.

At least it gives me lots of time to think about my next bike. :p

Even though the carbon cap/titanium can option looked really nice, the full carbon Akras just won me over.

I got out this past Saturday thanks to a freak turn in the weather. Is anyone doing a New Years Day ride today (bonus points if you live somewhere where it gets cold)?

I wanted to, but the Monster had been standing still for just a little too long. Managed to turn over the engine a couple times, but no dice. It's on a trickle charger right now, should be fine in a day or two.

We've had a lot of rain here in the Netherlands and the temperature hasn't dropped below freezing, which means no salt. So I could go for a ride theoretically.

Still working on the Buell though. I've replaced the oil pump drive gear and I'm now debating whether I should replace the pistons and cylinders now that I've opened everything up anyway.

Bike on the charger for a couple of days to condition the battery. Just waiting for the rain to stop a bit here in the UK to get out for a quick ride.

Dougald

Bike on the charger for a couple of days to condition the battery. Just waiting for the rain to stop a bit here in the UK to get out for a quick ride.

Bleh, too depressing out for me, I haven't got on 2 wheels since November (quite a feat when you don't have a car). If it's not torrential rain it's icy roads at the moment.

My friend is coming back from Afghanistan for a week sometime soon so I'll probably try and get out for a ride then (as he's looking at buying a Daytona as a second bike when he's done with his deployment), until then I'm just alternating my optimate between the bikes..

senahorse

Licence achieved today!

Just went on the first ride of the WR, and no incidents to report on luckily :). I did stall it a bunch of times though as I am still getting used to the clutch. I know the WR is anything but a monster in the power department but compared to the learner bikes I got my licence on this is a weapon :D

1stride_zpsc998c692.png~original

Fixed1979

Licence achieved today!

Just went on the first ride of the WR, and no incidents to report on luckily :). I did stall it a bunch of times though as I am still getting used to the clutch. I know the WR is anything but a monster in the power department but compared to the learner bikes I got my licence on this is a weapon :D

1stride_zpsc998c692.png~original

Congrats! Enjoy and ride safe.

senahorse

Cheers, I certainly will try to. Once the engine on both bikes (gf's xt250) are broken in there will be limited actual road riding, at least in the city/suburbia.

senahorse

You can lower them a bit. There is a lowering link from Yamaha that brings it down 1-2 inches I think, and then you can adjust the preload and then some extra to get it lower. All up you could probably do about 3-4 inches. For reference I am about 5"10, so not short but not tall either, I havent adjusted anything yet and can get both balls of my feet on the ground, flat foot one foot when stopped (other on the peg). My gf who is 5"3 couldn't get either foot down on it (hence why we got her the XT).

Also you can always get lower to the ground by getting the seat shaved, we did this for the XT, and it actually got my gf another inch or so lower to the ground.

Was thinking of getting a nice trail bike for winter riding and doing some green laneing. Something not bigger than a 250... that WR looks really nice

Do not own, but have ridden an early 2000s one a couple times. Why? Also, how tall are you, and your inseam length? I only ask because you were saying the WR is tall (and it is, but bikes like that I think are supposed to be).

Do not own, but have ridden an early 2000s one a couple times. Why? Also, how tall are you, and your inseam length? I only ask because you were saying the WR is tall (and it is, but bikes like that I think are supposed to be).

To summarize my story, I have a Ninja 250R, got it new. Looking for a new ride because my right knee gets pain after too long in the saddle (onset after ~6000km), just too much of a bend. The shop I bought it at would give me a good deal if I trade it in, so I would be looking at another Kawasaki probably. They have really good deals on 2013 demo models. I'm 5'8", inseam not sure, probably 29" or 30".

What I really want is a Honda CB500X but it would end up being cheaper and a lot easier if I got another Kawasaki. I currently have my bike stored at the Kawi shop for the winter.

I'm split. I've always wanted a dual sport, and it would alleviate the trouble with the knee bend for sure, but then most of the dual sports are tall. I sat on the KLR, and it was a bit tall (35" seat height), but they said they could lower it. I loved the upright position and extra room. WR250R I think has a 37" seat height I think.

But then I also love how agile the Ninja is... the whole thing is confusing. :p

senahorse

Went for another ride today (my third ride in total lol, making the most of it before the wet weather sets in and I am back at work next week). Took a couple of quick snaps:

bmxjumps_zps4e712184.png~original

I don't think you're the bike they had in mind...

roadend_zps15a37b53.png~original

Only until your break-in is complete my new friend, patience :D

The more I ride it, the more I love this bike, it feels like it was made for me :)

To summarize my story, I have a Ninja 250R, got it new. Looking for a new ride because my right knee gets pain after too long in the saddle (onset after ~6000km), just too much of a bend. The shop I bought it at would give me a good deal if I trade it in, so I would be looking at another Kawasaki probably. They have really good deals on 2013 demo models. I'm 5'8", inseam not sure, probably 29" or 30".

What I really want is a Honda CB500X but it would end up being cheaper and a lot easier if I got another Kawasaki. I currently have my bike stored at the Kawi shop for the winter.

I'm split. I've always wanted a dual sport, and it would alleviate the trouble with the knee bend for sure, but then most of the dual sports are tall. I sat on the KLR, and it was a bit tall (35" seat height), but they said they could lower it. I loved the upright position and extra room. WR250R I think has a 37" seat height I think.

I cannot speak for the newer KLR but I really, really did not like the earlier 2000s one I rode. The handling (even with less knobby, more street-friendly tires) was still godawful and to be honest the bike felt kind of scary - not scary power, but more like "I really feel like I'm not connected to this bike." It could have just been the suspension was set too loosely for my weight, therefore the bad handling. I do know aftermarket seats can help with seat height problems, and also dual sports tend to have a good bit of suspension sag/travel, so even though slinging the leg over initially is difficult, they really settle in a bit once you're on! Sometimes, too, you just have to get used to using one foot at stops.

The CB500X is not a real dual sport and is really just a typical standard, kind of like the situation with the Kawasaki Versys. Have you sat on any of them yet? Tried a Ninja 650? You can swap out rearsets for ones with more adjustment options. Your legs are 1-2" shorter than mine, and I have no issues. Ever try stretches for your knee or asked a doctor about it? Unless you're absolutely sold on having a bike that can hit a light trail I'd not recommend the dual sports.

Flo_Evans

You do want a dual sport... Just not a KLR. I haven't seen that honda in person but it looks pretty wimpy. Get a xr650 or a drz if you really want a dual sport.

1st ride of the season already in the bag. We had a foot of snow last week but it was 50 today so I went out with the BMW dudes. Had 2 1200 GSAs, a 650GS, a husky 650r terra and of course me on the xchallenge. :)

http://youtu.be/hTkB8xHWvME

Sadly it seemed they did some work to one of my favorite creek roads, it was all fresh gravel nicely graded and packed. Plus some leftover snow and ice.

I also had a old KLR650 and it would work a treat on starting it from cold but as soon as that single thumper was hot you can do anything you like to get it going. I am average height and dont weight much so its a pain in the ass to get going. That bike did not last long and was sold. Look at some of the Yamaha 650's or the smaller BMW's. I had a old XT250 with the metal silver tank and loved that bike. Went everywhere on it.

Yamaha XT250 or the XT660
Honda DR650
BMW 650 Dakar

Enjoy

Dougald

There comes a point in a "simple" job to fix your friends indicator, where you're soldering in some new wiring, when you wish you'd just had Triumph fix it for him instead. Got it all working though

I was all set to sell my Bonneville this Spring and go back down to one bike, but I fired it up and went for a quick ride at the weekend, and damned if I still don't love the thing to bits. The only reason to keep it is emotional, but it's quite hard to let go.

senahorse

My girlfriend passed her bike licence test on Sunday, she was very nervous but passed with flying colours, so proud :). We are going to go to the transport department (Australian version of DMV) this afternoon to make it official and then she can start breaking in her bike (2014 XT250). Getting closer and closer to adventure riding, can't wait :D

There comes a point in a "simple" job to fix your friends indicator, where you're soldering in some new wiring, when you wish you'd just had Triumph fix it for him instead. Got it all working though

I was all set to sell my Bonneville this Spring and go back down to one bike, but I fired it up and went for a quick ride at the weekend, and damned if I still don't love the thing to bits. The only reason to keep it is emotional, but it's quite hard to let go.

I'd say the most important reason to ride motorcycles is emotional. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense otherwise ;).

Flo_Evans

Oh man.. I went by the KTM dealer today huge mistake!

qYnbMS6.jpg

They had an 1190 r adventure being built for a customer. Thing is kind of weird looking in pics but in person I was drooling... had to give it a look over the shoulder as I left the shop damn, I'm in love.

Going to wait till they get the 690s in stock though but I think I am going team orange.

Yeah, that Super Duke is gorgeous. But, so much power, on the street. Such a shame you'd hardly ever get to use it. At least here in the Netherlands, it would prove difficult.

I did go for a ride on the Monster last weekend, it was about 7 degrees out (celcius) and it had been raining for a few days, so the roads were clear of salt. Wanted to warm up everything one last time before winter really sets in here. Didn't have the chance to open her up until the end of the ride, the bike was cold and hadn't moved for about a month, so I was being gentle. Haha. Felt great though. Little more 'sterile/efficient' than the Buell, but still a lot of fun.

I ordered a new set of Hammer Performance cylinders/pistons for the Buell by the way. 1250cc, haha. And it feels pretty good to replace everything. Heads are being refurbished as well. Once we get the whole thing back together it should be good as new. Sorta.

imag0875dosmc.jpg

imag0867kcp7n.jpg

It'll be a while before the new cylinders get here. Hope not too long. Really want to get it finished before spring.

Dougald

That Buell is going to be even more gorgeous than it was when you bought it. The work you're doing makes me feel inadequate about being proud of respraying my downpipes now!

MCN rated the Aprilia tuono a better ride and also on the fly traction control adjustment ... but then again its how you feel on the bike and if you like the look of it. The KTM does have the raw power to roll up the tar behind you. Wonder how its going to compete with the new BMW 1000 naked bike

That Buell is going to be even more gorgeous than it was when you bought it. The work you're doing makes me feel inadequate about being proud of respraying my downpipes now!

Yeah, we're doing our best, hopefully the work goes a long way toward fixing some of the bike's original weaknesses as well (like the oil-pump-drive-gear, shitty gaskets and such). But you definitely needn't feel inadequate, there's no chance in hell I would be able to do this without my dad's guidance. It's uncanny, how much he knows about mechanical stuff.

It's certainly a lot more useful than my encyclopedic knowledge of videogames.

Watevaman

Cool shit with the Buell indeed. And here I am bitching about how I don't want to strip down my bike to paint the frame, nothing close to an engine rebuild.

Speaking of engines, though, I adjusted my valves on my bike yesterday. Clearances are a pain in the ass to measure.

To be fair, we were much relieved to find we didn't need to drop the entire engine from the frame to remove the cylinders. Painting your frame would require you to strip everything, that's no small task :D.

Dougald

You're lucky your Dad can help, there are many things my Dad is good at, but mechanics is definitely not one of them

Luckily, my father in law can occasionally be persuaded to pitch in, but most of my jobs involve service manuals, google, and lots of swearing.

MCN rated the Aprilia tuono a better ride and also on the fly traction control adjustment ... but then again its how you feel on the bike and if you like the look of it. The KTM does have the raw power to roll up the tar behind you. Wonder how its going to compete with the new BMW 1000 naked bike

That will be interesting to see in comparison, yeah. I'm not surprised, either. I believe Aprilia still gets the highest marks for the electronics out of everyone. I bet the Ape is just far more manageable/ride-able. Plus the V4 sounds better :p (and a new, untouched one near me can be had for $13k...KTM? "fuhGehdabouditt"...)

I have a DR 650 (suzuki) and its a bit lower than the KLR. I think the main difference is its air cooled vs liquid cooled (KLR).

So I got to work today and put my kick stand down, I don't know how the hell it happened but the stand just snapped off and before I could notice I had my bike ontop of my leg. Clutch lever cracked and my left turning signal cracked. I have a pretty decent sized bruise on my inner thigh as well. Talk about a shitty way to start the day. I still have to ride home so I'm sure that isn't going to be very fun.

Flo_Evans

Can you still work the clutch? Try and reinforce it with some duct tape... You really don't want it breaking off mid ride.

If it does break off don't panic just kick it down to neutral. Most bikes you should be able to kick through the gears with no clutch, starting and stopping is the hard part so avoid that if possible.

So I got to work today and put my kick stand down, I don't know how the hell it happened but the stand just snapped off and before I could notice I had my bike ontop of my leg. Clutch lever cracked and my left turning signal cracked. I have a pretty decent sized bruise on my inner thigh as well. Talk about a shitty way to start the day. I still have to ride home so I'm sure that isn't going to be very fun.

Damn man that is hard luck. I have the fear that my bike will idle off the side stand as my sidestand is like a ice pick. Hope the ride home is smooth sailing

Watevaman

After having my bike apart for about a week all because of some leaking fuel from somewhere, I put it back together only to find out that it was still leaking after trying what I thought would be a fix. Turns out it was as simple as replacing the fuel hoses.

It wasn't all that bad though, as while I had the fuel tank off I ended up adjusting my valves, cleaning my air filter, and fixing a throttle cable I didn't even know had slipped out of its guide. All in time to go for a ride tomorrow as it's going to be a balmy 49 degrees Fahrenheit.

Fixed1979

I wish I was in a place where you can ride all year long, super jealous of you folks!

Off to the motorcycle show tomorrow should be good times, will definitely be taking some pics. My buddy wants to sit on the Nine T, so tomorrow could be decision day for him.

After having my bike apart for about a week all because of some leaking fuel from somewhere, I put it back together only to find out that it was still leaking after trying what I thought would be a fix. Turns out it was as simple as replacing the fuel hoses.

It wasn't all that bad though, as while I had the fuel tank off I ended up adjusting my valves, cleaning my air filter, and fixing a throttle cable I didn't even know had slipped out of its guide. All in time to go for a ride tomorrow as it's going to be a balmy 49 degrees Fahrenheit.

So, how was the ride?

I wish I was in a place where you can ride all year long, super jealous of you folks!

Off to the motorcycle show tomorrow should be good times, will definitely be taking some pics. My buddy wants to sit on the Nine T, so tomorrow could be decision day for him.

Awesome, take some pictures for us.

Top Bottom