• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

I don't know, it's pretty torn up, so you'd have to get some serious welding done from the looks of it. It also looks like you twisted some of the brake equipment so that might be due for inspection as well.

I'd personally try to find some second hand rearset stuff on eBay but that's just me. Or, visit a Ninja specific forum (I know there's gotta be one for them) and post a WTB or source parts from other bikes that'll fit.

Coincidentally I saw one parked in The Hague near where I work, still a good looking bike. Do you have one with all the gear indicator / fuel gauge bits installed?

TCRS

Banned
New Honda concept, the NM4:

honda-nm4-concept-1-1.jpg

more pics:
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/revealed-honda-nm4-vultus/24716.html

interesting. looks like a more aggressive version of the CTX.

Fixed1979

New Honda concept, the NM4:

honda-nm4-concept-1-1.jpg

more pics:
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/revealed-honda-nm4-vultus/24716.html

interesting. looks like a more aggressive version of the CTX.

It's like Batmans Goldwing...I would be surprised if there weren't major changes before this comes close to being on the market.

EDIT:
The NM4 Vultus may look like a concept but it's actually a production model.

whuaaaa?

Also how do you give something that looks like that 54bhp?

TCRS

Banned
Oh I didn't read that, nice! I thought the production bike is probably going to be dull downed, something like the CTX. But if this is the production model... wow.

There's also a version with built-in panniers:

honda-nm4-concept-2-1.jpg

the press release:

TOKYO, Japan, March 21, 2014 - Honda held its press conference at the 30th Osaka Motorcycle Show 2014 today and unveiled the world premiere of two types of its new production model "NM4" as an exhibition model (planned for production).

The NM4 was developed under the keywords of "the Neo-futuristic" and "COOL," pursuing new, unique styling.

This NM4 was designed to realize two points; the design concept "the Front Massive Styling" and "the cockpit position" focusing on the sense of unity with the rider, that the rider can smoothly get into the vehicle. The low-setup cockpit position and adjustable backrest provide an enjoyable new riding feel. The instrument panel was designed to provide clear readability and the fun riding, as if the rider was experiencing part of a movie scene.

LED lamps are used on the headlight of the powerful-looking front fairing, the tail lamp and the turn signals. In addition, the utility boxes are set up on the right and left sides of the front fairing for small articles.

Two NM4 types were unveiled at the motorcycle show; the simply-configured "NM4-01" which emphasizes its wide, dynamic rear tire and attractive low silhouette, and the "NM4-02" which emanates a unique presence and features a prominent rear design (containing utility boxes on each side of the rear body).

The NM4 will also be exhibited at the 41st Tokyo Motorcycle Show from Friday, March 28 to Sunday, March 30 at Tokyo Big Sight.

•Key features of the NM4

・Length×Width×Height (mm) 2,380×810×1,170
・Seat Height (mm) 650
・Engine Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke OHC inline 2-cylinder engine
・Displacement (cm3) 745
・Transmission Dual Clutch Transmission (standard equipment)
・Tires Front: 120/70ZR18M/C (59W)
Rear: 200/50ZR17M/C (75W)

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/21/honda-nm4-concept-motorcycles-channel-akira/

Watevaman

I forgot to post this here, knew I mentioned plasti-dipping my wheels, so here's the outcome:

adxIqPk.jpg

Turned out ok. I went a bit too light on some spots but it only shows if you're real close.

Also, a bit of a shame, considering I'm really thinking about selling the bike and upgrading. Main choice is buying a ZRX1200R:

2005_kawasaki_zrx1200ra_by_watevaman-d7b2xta.jpg

There's one for sale around where I am but damn if my GS500 isn't 4 hours away at home. And it's not warm enough for me to ride it down here. Definitely sucks. I'm almost tempted to just buy the ZRX1200R and have them both, but the thing is I'm not sure if the GS500 will sell. Has anyone had any bad experiences trying to sell a bike?

TCRS

Banned
Man I love the ZRX1200. What a bike, looks classic and badass and has none of the ugly design of newer street bikes. Like Honda for example, I hate the headlamp design on their street bikes. A shame that we don't get it here in Europe.

Isn't the GS500 a typical beginners bike? Should sell relatively easy, especially at this time of the year.

I forgot to post this here, knew I mentioned plasti-dipping my wheels, so here's the outcome:

Turned out ok. I went a bit too light on some spots but it only shows if you're real close.

Also, a bit of a shame, considering I'm really thinking about selling the bike and upgrading. Main choice is buying a ZRX1200R:

There's one for sale around where I am but damn if my GS500 isn't 4 hours away at home. And it's not warm enough for me to ride it down here. Definitely sucks. I'm almost tempted to just buy the ZRX1200R and have them both, but the thing is I'm not sure if the GS500 will sell. Has anyone had any bad experiences trying to sell a bike?

4 hours is quite a drive, but maybe worth the trouble. I've never sold a bike privately. Always traded up to avoid the hassle of handing over the keys to a stranger for test drives and such.

That ZRX is awesome by the way, especially in those classic colors.

I have done my first 1000 miles on the f650gs so I figured it was time for an update. I absolutely love this thing. I did a few things to make the bike my own. I installed givi side cases, and bought new tires; since the old ones were still the originals from 2005 lol. I also took off the dopey looking windscreen, and while i like the look better, it sure does get windy as hell on the freeway/highway. My only real complaint with the bike is it is still a little sluggish in first gear. Anyway heres a couple pics with the cases and sans wind screen .

Anyone planning any rides over the summer? I really want to take a trip into the Rockies at some point, I got a week booked off at the end of May for some reason and really nothing planned...might be a good time to take a long ride.

This will be the first summer in a while where I dont take classes, so I plan on taking a long trip. I am tentatively thinking about driving from phoenix, az to portalnd, oregon. On the north route I will head up through the mountains, and on the way back i plan on using pacific coast highway.

all the rotax 800cc bmw bikes are sluggish in first. you gotta feather the clutch below 20 mph a fair bit. i'm used to it on my f800st and it went from lol where my torque at to fairly snappy off the line as i found the sweet spot in the friction zone.

that trip sounds like a blast! there's tons of killer secondaries between phoenix and portland, so you shouldn't need to slab it much. i'm considering a ride down to the pch in late june...

Watevaman

oh man, here I am sitting here talking about a ZRX1200R and I didn't even remember to post this here:

ded_by_watevaman-d7bcr9g.gif

was sitting here at the light (my buddy on his Hornet 599 was next to me), planning to have a little "race" with him. well, as the .gif shows, normal drivers can't be trusted with reading the signs on the lights.

so many things went through my head in that split second. first was "what if my buddy is right next to me?" well, luckily he's a bit more steady on his take offs and was pretty far behind me at the point. second was holy shit what a stupid ass I am for doing this. third was "well, at least I'm recording if I get hurt or die"

so, a bit of a reminder (do as I say not as I do lol), don't be stupid like I was that day. and never trust another driver (even if they're on a bike) to do anything remotely sane

man, if I was on a ZRX or even my buddies Hornet I think I would've been toast.

^ Oh shit man, that's pretty close :D. Good thing that GS is pretty nimble.

This will be the first summer in a while where I dont take classes, so I plan on taking a long trip. I am tentatively thinking about driving from phoenix, az to portalnd, oregon. On the north route I will head up through the mountains, and on the way back i plan on using pacific coast highway.

Ah that sounds frickin incredible. I was over there couple years ago on holiday, I couldn't bring my bike with me of course, but I did almost the exact same trip by car. It was beautiful!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Where I come from, if you're turning left you don't treat a green light like a green arrow. Also WTF was that minivan doing in your lane (crossing a double yellow) a bit down the road? There wasn't even anyone to pass.

Watevaman

Yeah, the sign next to the light states 'Left turn yield on solid green." I mean, what the truck did was a bit more excusable (although stupid), but the fact that the Civic actually tried turning too without seeing that traffic was already by that point flowing is what got me.

Reven

Yeah, the sign next to the light states 'Left turn yield on solid green." I mean, what the truck did was a bit more excusable (although stupid), but the fact that the Civic actually tried turning too without seeing that traffic was already by that point flowing is what got me.

The fact that they had to install a sign that says "left turn yield on solid green" is pretty bad. I'm not sure if its different from state to state but its the law that you yield on a left turn every where I have ever driven.

It is that sort of thing that scares the shit out of me every time it happens. Frustrating as all hell that no one seems to care that they are risking everyone else's lives.

demented

Something like that happened to me, I was heading straight and when it turned green I take off fast (not too fast but just to get away from traffic behind), well some bitch in shitty ass car from the right side of crossroad decided red light doesn't affect her(busy intersection and turning left from there takes a while and only few cars pass so people often rush when it's yellow or even red, but when it's green for other lanes and you weren't stuck in middle of intersection, FU) and she started turning left(from where I was coming), almost hit me there was few cm distance, at least she braked and I gave more gas and swerved a bit.

oh man, here I am sitting here talking about a ZRX1200R and I didn't even remember to post this here:

ded_by_watevaman-d7bcr9g.gif

was sitting here at the light (my buddy on his Hornet 599 was next to me), planning to have a little "race" with him. well, as the .gif shows, normal drivers can't be trusted with reading the signs on the lights.

so many things went through my head in that split second. first was "what if my buddy is right next to me?" well, luckily he's a bit more steady on his take offs and was pretty far behind me at the point. second was holy shit what a stupid ass I am for doing this. third was "well, at least I'm recording if I get hurt or die"

so, a bit of a reminder (do as I say not as I do lol), don't be stupid like I was that day. and never trust another driver (even if they're on a bike) to do anything remotely sane

man, if I was on a ZRX or even my buddies Hornet I think I would've been toast.

Damn man... that was a close shave... but you where awake and reacted spot on. Friggen good riding mate

I have done my first 1000 miles on the f650gs so I figured it was time for an update. I absolutely love this thing. I did a few things to make the bike my own. I installed givi side cases, and bought new tires; since the old ones were still the originals from 2005 lol. I also took off the dopey looking windscreen, and while i like the look better, it sure does get windy as hell on the freeway/highway. My only real complaint with the bike is it is still a little sluggish in first gear. Anyway heres a couple pics with the cases and sans wind screen .

Agreed with the rotax engines, they are a bit sluggish but they will last forever. Its amazing to see how much more wind you get if you dont have a screen. Post a pic with the screen on to compare.

enjoy the sunshine

TCRS

Banned
nice bike. never really seen one of them on the road though. I once saw a K1300R in London and a guy in a business suit and a messenger bag sitting on it. Not safe but looked boss as fuck.

Marv_79

Neo Member
Cheers mate. The bikes I tend to the most in London are normally enduro style bikes especially the 1200GS riden by Ewan McGregor/Charlie Borman wannabes (I'm only jealous cos I'm a short arse).

TomServo

...the thing is I'm not sure if the GS500 will sell. Has anyone had any bad experiences trying to sell a bike?

Selling a beginner-friendly bike on Craigslist should be pretty easy.

I sold my 2011 Ninja 250R in a few days, for a little under the asking price. I mentioned in the listing that test rides meant a motorcycle endorsement on your license and all the cash in my hand.

You'll get idiots that lowball the shit out of you... I think I was asking $3100, I had people offering $1500 or less... just ignore them.

TCRS

Banned
Cheers mate. The bikes I tend to the most in London are normally enduro style bikes especially the 1200GS riden by Ewan McGregor/Charlie Borman wannabes (I'm only jealous cos I'm a short arse).

lolol, you also see a lot of couriers on their Honda CBFs. But these bikes are way too heavy, if you ride regularly in London why not get a scooter? I switched from a bike to a 125cc scooter for London. The best part: no more shifting gears every couple of seconds, no more riding the clutch, low centre of gravity (easier to swerve in between cars), storage space (no top box required) and it's small size meant I could easily park it in small gaps. Scooters are the best vehicle for London imo.

But then I lived in London, if you live outside I can understand why you'd want a full size bike. Riding a 125cc scooter on the A3 is probably terrifying.

This also reminds me that I haven't seen those McGregor/Boorman documentaries in ages..

I have been riding around on my X1 Lightning quite a lot and man, it's so good... they've managed to distill the essence of fun with that bike. Perfect in every way. It's been colder the last few weeks though, hovers around 10-12 degrees Celsius, but as long as it's dry I can't really complain :p.

Also managed to pick up a couple of Buell jackets on the cheap, this is one of them (that's me on the left there along with my dear friend Lester who is also a GAFfer btw, he doesn't frequent this thread though sadly):

img-20140324-wa000312osnc.jpg

Dougald

Check out my brake lever:

Yep, that completely sheared off my Yamaha as I was riding it down the road yesterday. Good thing I wasn't going too fast, and that I was on a nice straight bit of road, because I now know that the back brake is totally useless for stopping a bike by itself!

Fixed1979

Yep, that completely sheared off my Yamaha as I was riding it down the road yesterday. Good thing I wasn't going too fast, and that I was on a nice straight bit of road, because I now know that the back brake is totally useless for stopping a bike by itself!

Holy shit man, glad to hear nothing serious came of it. You never know what can happen on the road.

Dammmnn, that could have gone a whole lot worse.

Dougald

Weirdly, I wasn't even putting pressure on it, just gave it a very light squeeze to slow down a bit and the thing dropped off - must have been the final straw for it. Just glad I wasn't on the motorway, or coming up to traffic lights!

Its all the aggressive riding you have been doing when the sun is out..

Well isn't that a bitch. Good to see that nothing bad came of it, and yeah, the rear break is only about 30% of your stopping power on a bike. The rest is on the front.

Dougald

Just replaced what was left of the lever, when I unscrewed the remaining chunk, it just fell out of the bike in about 10 pieces, completely and utterly shattered. Crazy, the whole thing splintered like a piece of acrylic hit with a hammer.

Just replaced what was left of the lever, when I unscrewed the remaining chunk, it just fell out of the bike in about 10 pieces, completely and utterly shattered. Crazy, the whole thing splintered like a piece of acrylic hit with a hammer.

Thats weird... must be a problem with the metal on that lever.

Dougald

On a lighter note, my Arai is getting a bit grotty and I've been thinking of replacing it with a flip-up Nolan N104 for convenience (I wear glasses, for one). Anyone got any thoughts on the flip-front lids?

Top Bottom