• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Was riding for about 6 hours today in a group ride with my school's motorcycle club. Was a lot of fun, but my back is killing me.

Also, a guy in the club just bought an HP4. Amazing bike, that is.

Dougald

Damn Soapster, I can see where your problem was - that looks like a nice wide innocent stretch of road at first glance, no wonder you didn't see until it was too late!

Fuckin' Easter, fuckin' 420.

I was going down this small, tight country road and was going slow-ish (not enough, it seems). As I started a slight left lean I saw ahead a shitload of gravel. So I went into the brakes, and then promptly found out I was already on a bunch of gravel. I found out because I lost the front and went down, bike went off the edge of the road down an embankment. I was able to lift it and get it out of there and eventually ride it home. Windscreen cracked/came off. Ground down both of the main sliders. Cracked/fucked up the upper cowl (AGAIN). There is a hole on the back right corner of my tail fairing...interesting. Helmet gone due to one stupid spot (URGH fucking $650 right there). Jacket got some pretty serious rash in one area...not sure I will re-use. Gloves, pants, and boots are mostly fine. I have very minor rash at the impact point near my left elbow (through the armor and leather), a stiff neck, and a sore left hip. I have a feeling tomorrow morning I will not want to walk.

tl;dr - I'm fucking retarded.

edit: Here is a part (not the whole line of gravel by any means...it was too far back...) of what got me...click for full size -

You can see the part where I veered off. Definitely went in on the brakes...probably a bit hard for the scenario, but it really did not take much

Damn man.... just glad you are here to tell the tale.... gravel is a bastard and it looks like the gravel is the same colour as the road... something what they use to resurface the roads.

Usually the day after you will be stiff and sore. Hope you can claim this back from insurance.

Watevaman

Soapster, you're not retarded for doing what you did. It's not reasonable when you're going at speed to know exactly what is under your tires at all times. You did the best you could in the situation and it just happened to bite you this time. The best thing is that you walked away with minor injuries. Glad it came out that way. Get better soon.

Hope you can claim this back from insurance.

I can't. I do not carry collision coverage because I figured I wouldn't be at fault :p

I don't regret it not carrying it, though. For the time I've had this bike (5 years), carrying collision coverage would have cost me far more than the money it took to fix it up after the track high side plus what it will cost to replace gear and parts this time around. It would also come out to be more even if I could get the same rate I can get now since turning 25 last year.

Soapster, you're not retarded for doing what you did. It's not reasonable when you're going at speed to know exactly what is under your tires at all times. You did the best you could in the situation and it just happened to bite you this time. The best thing is that you walked away with minor injuries. Glad it came out that way. Get better soon.

Well, I was dodging bits of gravel most of the day, and I always plan on that road having a lot of it. What got me was how the gravel pooled more up ahead of me. The picture only shows the last bit of it...again, it was a long line of gravel going back. I couldn't really get a picture on the phone that could show the necessary detail, so I mainly got the last several feet.

gunther

Guys I rode for the fifth time in my friend's ninja 300 feeling more confidence in my riding and all but I still had problems with braking. Any advice on how to properly brake a bike?

Jackson

Guys I rode for the fifth time in my friend's ninja 300 feeling more confidence in my riding and all but I still had problems with braking. Any advice on how to properly brake a bike?

I'm a complete noob, so I'd love as many tips on braking as I can get too.

All I know is what they taught us in the MSF class which was to use both brakes in most situations,
always go easy when applying them, be smooth, not slam on them and always to brake when the handlebars are "square" (perfectly upright). Also handbrake + turn = Bad day. A young woman in my class did fell off on the hard braking practice she she only used the front brakes and squeezed hem too quickly. To me it seems like the same principal of a car. You don't mash the brakes to 100% on the road. Just different muscle memory.

Dougald

I barely use the back brake (it has a tendency to lock the wheel on my Bonneville).

Smooth, progressive use of the front brake is all you need in most situations. Gently apply the back brake just before stopping to prevent the forks diving, and you should come to a smooth stop every time

iamblades

I barely use the back brake (it has a tendency to lock the wheel on my Bonneville).

Smooth, progressive use of the front brake is all you need in most situations. Gently apply the back brake just before stopping to prevent the forks diving, and you should come to a smooth stop every time

Yeah the back brake on my monster does the same thing(well not quite as it has ABS, but it starts clicking like crazy if I use it too much at speed), Back brake is mainly used to stabilize speed during low speed maneuvers. Front brake is 90%+ of your total stopping power, you just have to be smooth with it.

Also make sure that the brake levers are properly adjusted. I've ridden some bikes with so much play in the brake lever that it did nothing for 75% of the travel then you got all the braking in the last 25% of travel. It is a nightmare trying to ride a bike like that.

gunther

I'm a complete noob, so I'd love as many tips on braking as I can get too.

All I know is what they taught us in the MSF class which was to use both brakes in most situations,
always go easy when applying them, be smooth, not slam on them and always to brake when the handlebars are "square" (perfectly upright). Also handbrake + turn = Bad day. A young woman in my class did fell off on the hard braking practice she she only used the front brakes and squeezed hem too quickly. To me it seems like the same principal of a car. You don't mash the brakes to 100% on the road. Just different muscle memory.

I'm using that logic but still can't get it right, sometimes I brake too hard and others too slow. Also my braking distance is everywhere and I always miss calculate my braking point. Fortunaly I'm always on the safe side so I brake earlier and never later.
The thing is that for me the braking does no behave the same every time maybe it has something to do with speed, my ride position or simply it's no the same as a car or a bycicle.
Another question, engine braking, people do that on a bike?.

Yesterday a changed my gear to hard and the rear tyre lost grip and the rear en of the bike shake a little. Scare the shit out of me.

iamblades

I'm using that logic but still can't get it right, sometimes I brake too hard and others too slow. Also my braking distance is everywhere and I always miss calculate my braking point. Fortunaly I'm always on the safe side so I brake earlier and never later.
The thing is that for me the braking does no behave the same every time maybe it has something to do with speed, my ride position or simply it's no the same as a car or a bycicle.
Another question, engine braking, people do that on a bike?.

Yesterday a changed my gear to hard and the rear tyre lost grip and the rear en of the bike shake a little. Scare the shit out of me.

Yeah on my bike with the V twin I barely actually use my brakes in regular stoplight to stoplight riding(that sweet sweet termi burble on overrun).

The wheel hop on downshift is because you are downshifting at too high of an RPM. You have to account for the jump in RPM after downshifting, if the RPMs are too high(or you bump into the rev limiter) after the downshift you will break traction.

Also worth noting that when engine braking on a bike, make sure to use your brakes lightly as well to activate your brake lights. With high compression motorcycle engines, your engine braking can be quite sudden and rapid, and may catch people following behind you by surprise.

Dougald

Changing down too soon can be pretty dangerous, it's how a friend of mine ended up lowsiding

Being in a country where everyone drives manual cars helps, though.

Flo_Evans

Hmm

I was dropping my x challenge off at the BMW dealer for some TLC and they practically forced me to test ride the F800GS. I think I kind of like it (its a motorcycle!) but the engine is just strange. It has way more power than my bike but something is just weird about it. The torque is really flat but it just kind of felt boring when you really cranked it open?

IDK though I liked the size and comfort. The 4 gallon gas tank (6 on the adventure!!) is amazing, suspension was OK (adventure model has some sort of electronic adjustable dampening, but felt way too soft in anything but "sport", seems to effect rear shock only.?)

Hmm

I was dropping my x challenge off at the BMW dealer for some TLC and they practically forced me to test ride the F800GS. I think I kind of like it (its a motorcycle!) but the engine is just strange. It has way more power than my bike but something is just weird about it. The torque is really flat but it just kind of felt boring when you really cranked it open?

yeah I remember the F800R feeling similar when I rode one a couple years ago. Very different from what Ducati achieve with their twins (more directness/useable torque).

Flo_Evans

yeah I remember the F800R feeling similar when I rode one a couple years ago. Very different from what Ducati achieve with their twins (more directness/useable torque).

Well I think they were going for a more comfortable touring bike since that is what most BMW owners do. Its got OK power but it doesn't really "build" like most bikes, its always kind of constant. I would describe it as a "bland" feeling engine.

Well I think they were going for a more comfortable touring bike since that is what most BMW owners do. Its got OK power but it doesn't really "build" like most bikes, its always kind of constant. I would describe it as a "bland" feeling engine.

That is correct, that 800 engine is touring orientated... long days in the saddle with luggage or a pillion. They where looking to fill the gap for guys or gals that feel a bit intimidated by the 1200GS. That electronic ajustment suspension works really good for different road surfaces. Soft can be used for two up comfy cruising.... then as soon as you hit the mountain pass move it to sport(hard) for the twisties. I had it on my 1200GS and 1200Adv and now on the k1300s. It something to play around with to get use to. I dont weight much so mine is stuck in normal or soft if the wife is on the back.

Have you had a chance to give the new 1200GS a test run?

Dougald

I rode the 800GS and I felt the same. Solid, comfortable, well built, not underpowered, but just dull, dull, dull to ride. No character.

The 1200GS is a beast, though - the difference is staggering.

Flo_Evans

I haven't ridden the new water cooled one no, but I've tried lots of the old ones, the problem with the 1200gs is when you drop it in the woods... I've been on rides where dudes are seriously trapped under those beasts. They are fun to ride on twisties, comfortable as hell on the highway and maintained gravel roads but when shit gets serious they are just too much.

I mean most of the stuff I ride is totally doable on one but at what cost to fun factor.

I think for me the larger enduro dual sport bike is more suited. I would totally get a 12gs if I was going to take a month and travel around the states.

Bike like this is the perfect size for me

9qp1THC.jpg

Wish yamaha would sell it here =/ Your only option here is 20 year old bikes still in production or expensive european bikes.

Yeh, the 1200GS is a tank. Laughed my ass off when Ewan McGregor and Boorman found out how poorly they had chosen, pushing that thing around in the mud.

TCRS

Banned
I was about to say, isn't that one of the reasons why Ewan McGregor and Boorman kept getting stuck? The R1200GSs were way too heavy for those 'roads.' I wonder how they would have fared on the KTMs if they had gotten those.

A KTM sponsored season two would have made for an interesting comparison, though I believe the difference in actual weight isn't that huge (edit: hmm on the road maybe, but in those circumstances the added 50 pounds might just do you in).

Flo_Evans

I think it has more to do with them being inexperienced. Watch race to dakar, charlie takes a heavily modified 650GS and is just as useless on it. And he was a far better rider than Ewan.

The bikes were heavy to start off with, then they loaded them up with hundreds of pounds of luggage and shit.

To be fair though they did do thousands of miles of highways too. Most of the trip was probably drama free but the tough parts are better TV.

HXEG6sC.jpg

People do this all day on a GS, notice though he has removed all his camping gear 1st :p

Dougald

The 1200GS is an Off-Road bike like your average 4x4 is built for Off-Road - it's the Chelsea Tractor of motorbikes

Awesome bike but way, way too big to do any actual serious offroading. I mean, you *can* ride it offroad, but not sure why you'd buy one if that was your intention. It's for touring/commuting with light offroading thrown in

Depends on the bike and the driver. A crotch rocket is going to run you a lot more on insurance than a touring bike, especially if you're still younger than 25 or so.
Depends a lot in the company and engine size. Going over 599cc made my premiums like quadruple. My ninja 250 was under $200 with next to highest coverage on it. Not sure what it is now that I'm over 25.

Also, what should I be checking over before taking out my bike? Any checklist before I take it out on the road?

StuKen

Tried a bit of off roading on the gs last night. Around a sand/gravel pit, across a river ford then up a rocky trail in the mountains south of Dublin. If you have the skills there is very little that it wont be able to handle. I dont so bike/self preservation instincts kicked in rather quick and I had to turn back after about 500m up the trail. The rocks got too big and there wasnt any hope of catching the bike if I lost the front in a big rut. Exhilarating though and the river crossing was a lot of fun.

Echoing the sentiments above, its just too big and stupid to take off road unless you are some kind of off road ninja. One mistake and its over. Really thinking of a cheap junker dual sport now. One that I can happily drop and not worry about thousands of euro repair bills on.

That is one of my problems too.. I would like to give the big bike a good run but then my wallet tells me to hold up... do you know how much pain its going to be if you drop this machine.

I think if you want to have fun off-roading you must have something smaller... but not too small that its a pain to get to the forest or place you want to ride. That KTM450 is a sweet beast or something like that.

I would like a offroad bike that can teleport to a forest with load of single track at a low cost. lol.

Flo_Evans

That is one of my problems too.. I would like to give the big bike a good run but then my wallet tells me to hold up... do you know how much pain its going to be if you drop this machine.

I think if you want to have fun off-roading you must have something smaller... but not too small that its a pain to get to the forest or place you want to ride. That KTM450 is a sweet beast or something like that.

I would like a offroad bike that can teleport to a forest with load of single track at a low cost. lol.

They have something like that in america. It's called a pickup truck :p

TCRS

Banned
so you went from an automatic honda ctx over a touring bmw f800 to a kawasaki z800(?).. midlife crisis much? :p

kidding, great bike. although I have to say the current kawasakis are designed too aggressively for my taste.

Agreed, the guys at the office told me I have a mid life crisis after I got a porsche about 3 weeks ago... I tell them its been like this for many a years.... I like cars and bikes and that is not crisis lol

Jackson

Got my first bike yesterday!

A Ninja 300ABS. Friend picked up a CBR500R ABS. Here's a picture of them while tooling around the office parking lot after work to get a feel for the bikes before we went on a 3 hour drive. :)

57gmh51.jpg

Then it began to drizzle so we packed it in. :(

Already had a cop tag us with his radar, but we were going the speed limit so no biggie. He was at the bottom of a steep hill in a 25mph zone. I just engined braked down it.

Had lots of fun already on my first day out after our MSF last week. I feel that being a motorcycle driver is making me better a defensive driver, and I took auto racing courses and did track days before.

The 300 is a great and forgiving beginner bike. It's agile, light, has a good upright riding position, a slipper clutch that doesn't jerk me around hard on downshifting, abs (which I hope to never use) and a long clutch lever that's forgiving at stop lights. The torque doesn't pull till about 8k and then really goes strong to 13k, which is great that I can't pull a whiskey throttle and freak myself out as a beginner.

Though I'll say I can already feel that in a few months I'm probably going to want something bigger. >:)

Got my first bike yesterday!

A Ninja 300ABS. Friend picked up a CBR500R ABS. Here's a picture of them while tooling around the office parking lot after work to get a feel for the bikes before we went on a 3 hour drive. :)

57gmh51.jpg

Then it began to drizzle so we packed it in. :(

Already had a cop tag us with his radar, but we were going the speed limit so no biggie. He was at the bottom of a steep hill in a 25mph zone. I just engined braked down it.

Had lots of fun already on my first day out after our MSF last week. I feel that being a motorcycle driver is making me better a defensive driver, and I took auto racing courses and did track days before.

The 300 is a great and forgiving beginner bike. It's agile, light, has a good upright riding position, a slipper clutch that doesn't jerk me around hard on downshifting, abs (which I hope to never use) and a long clutch lever that's forgiving at stop lights. The torque doesn't pull till about 8k and then really goes strong to 13k, which is great that I can't pull a whiskey throttle and freak myself out as a beginner.

Though I'll say I can already feel that in a few months I'm probably going to want something bigger. >:)

Grats on the new bike... they do look awesome. I think the guys like honda and Kawa has put in allot of effort to make the smaller bikes look much more beefy.

i really wanted the orange, and i finally found a 2012 new old stock here -- for $8500 otd, no fucking joke. regardless of an encroaching sense of irresponsibility, it HAD to happen, and the two-wheeled goddess bless you all for validating me!

Was really keen to get out this weekend for a ride but did not get the chance... little one kept me busy. Next weekend Monday we have the May day run in the UK and I am keen to go down and see what its about. Last year there were 30000 bikes. So it must be good. Just hope the weather plays ball.

Dougald

I always forget about the Ace Cafe runs until it's too late.. maybe I'll get up to London next weekend now you've reminded me!

Been raining all weekend here so I haven't touched the bike

Top Bottom