• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I've thought about the fatherhood issue.. when my Wife and I eventually decide to have kids, I'll definitely stop riding to commute (not that I do much of that anyway). But I'll definitely be keeping one to ride, you need the hobby, and I suspect the freedom and lack of communication to the outside world will help....!

For those cheap Chinese 125s... they look nice, but you get what you pay for. I know people who've had brand new bikes with sheared bolts, etc, and they'll rust to pieces in a few years, you'll be better off with a 10yr old CG125 or something for a learner legal machine. That being said, they do look really nice, and you probably won't have it for that long, so if you want one why not. The best example of a Chinese bike I can think of is a lady I used to work with had a brand new one for 4-5 years, until the engine blew up and she decided to get around to getting her license. Until it blew up it was actually a really solid bike, they just don't seem to build them to last

Thanks for the reply Dougald.

I always thought Hyosung was a Korean brand. Its true you get what you pay for and reading what you wrote about new bikes being potentially dodgy is a bit of a concern. May just stick to the good old Japanese bikes, even though they are a bit more expensive. I like the Yamaha 125. I gotta say the Hyosung 250 looks to be close to the 600cc size and I want something light to start off with. I haven't seen a Hyosung 125 here though.

Another thing, how much gear do all you guys wear? I just ask because I do deliveries during the day and am noticing a lot more people on bikes than a few years ago. I would say 9 out of 10 riders that I see are wearing nothing but a helmet, even learner riders that clearly look a little nervous in their riding. To me this is just crazy but it seems I would be in the minority with that way of thinking. Im planning on leather jacket with shoulder, elbow and back padding, boots, gloves and of course a full face helmet. Honestly if it didn't look so "try hard" I would want a full race suit.

Doesn't look try hard at all, if you feel safer wearing a full suit, go for it man :p.

Also, I'd pass on the Hyosung bikes and look for a used bike by some other brand. I hear good things about the Kawasaki 250r (you're an American right?).

Doesn't look try hard at all, if you feel safer wearing a full suit, go for it man :p.

Also, I'd pass on the Hyosung bikes and look for a used bike by some other brand. I hear good things about the Kawasaki 250r (you're an American right?).

I would definitely feel safer in a race suit but it can't be good if you go to a shopping centre or something. They are very expensive though, maybe after I ride for a while and know that I want to keep doing it, it may be a good, potentially life saving investment.

Yeah I was just interested in Hyosung because of the price but yeah not so much after the last couple of comments. I do want to get a new bike, even though I know its more. I am in Australia, Sydney to be exact. Riding weather all year round :)

Dougald

Any reason you want new, especially as it seems like it's a stopgap until you can move up to a proper bike?

I wouldn't be caught dead without minimum protective jacket, trousers, gloves, boots and helmet. If it's raining or dark I'll wear a hi-vis vest too. As a minimum you should at least be wearing a helmet, gloves and jacket. I tend to wear either fully-lined kevlar jeans with padding, or Polycordura trousers. The poly stuff is much more waterproof and also better in the heat/cold, but it's not so good if you want to walk around when you get where you're going.

Any reason you want new, especially as it seems like it's a stopgap until you can move up to a proper bike?

I wouldn't be caught dead without minimum protective jacket, trousers, gloves, boots and helmet. If it's raining or dark I'll wear a hi-vis vest too. As a minimum you should at least be wearing a helmet, gloves and jacket. I tend to wear either fully-lined kevlar jeans with padding, or Polycordura trousers. The poly stuff is much more waterproof and also better in the heat/cold, but it's not so good if you want to walk around when you get where you're going.

The whole process of buying new is just so much easier. I also plan on keeping the bike for a while. I will only be riding locally while I learn, no highways or anything. Will also still have a car. Just want something small and easy to handle to really get the skills required down, go for rides after work or on weekends.

What you say about safety gear makes sense to me but its clear a lot of riders don't really seem too concerned about it. I can see experienced riders maybe being a little complacent at times with gear but the amount of inexperienced riders I see without any protection except a helmet really surprises me.

Dougald

Over here the regular riders are generally pretty safe. On nice days you tend to see a lot of guys on something ridiculous like a Hayabusa wearing shorts and trainers. Exception is scooters. Scooters make you invulnerable to the laws of physics so you can wear shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops and no gloves, without the risk of losing all your skin.

Being as you're in Australia you probably want to look at a nice vented jacket for the hotter days. I don't own one because I'm British and I envy your weather

Over here the regular riders are generally pretty safe. On nice days you tend to see a lot of guys on something ridiculous like a Hayabusa wearing shorts and trainers. Exception is scooters. Scooters make you invulnerable to the laws of physics so you can wear shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops and no gloves, without the risk of losing all your skin.

Being as you're in Australia you probably want to look at a nice vented jacket for the hotter days. I don't own one because I'm British and I envy your weather

I guess riding in Europe where its a lot colder, you pretty much have to wear something to cover up, so you may as well have gear. I mean here it only really gets cold in winter, and even then it is nothing compared to your winters so maybe this has something to do with the "unsafe" culture here in Aus, well Sydney anyway.

Scooter riders are the same here. It seems the mentality is that because its not a big and powerful bike, its somehow safer. I see women in dresses with heels and guys with shorts and no shirts on scooters regularly. They often don't wear full face helmets either.

Yeah looking at the vented leather sports jackets. Still will be damn hot in summer when stopped.

Dougald

I wouldn't recommend leather at all in the Summer unless you're going to be taking it off as soon as you get to your destination. I had leather trousers for a while, but in the heat, stopped at the lights with the heat of the engine going on my legs was unbearable.

Polycordura isn't as cool but damn if its much better in the heat. I have a textile jacket with a bunch of vents, and still at over 30C I wanted to melt. The full vented jackets are much better - not quite as safe but I think not crashing from heatstroke is a big plus.

If you going to buy new and you going to keep the bike for a long time then get something you really like... buy cheap can cost you loads in the long run. Are you going to be using it on the road or exploring some of the gravel roads in Aus?

If you're going to keep it for a while you could consider something sensible though 'proper bike' with a little room for (your) growth. I'm thinkin a Kawa Er6 or any of the other brand equivalents. No idea what your budget is though.

As for clothing, two piece textile gear might also be excellently suited to your needs, a little cooler (temperature) than leather and a lot more affordable. just make sure you get something with a little armor in the important regions.

I wouldn't recommend leather at all in the Summer unless you're going to be taking it off as soon as you get to your destination. I had leather trousers for a while, but in the heat, stopped at the lights with the heat of the engine going on my legs was unbearable.

Polycordura isn't as cool but damn if its much better in the heat. I have a textile jacket with a bunch of vents, and still at over 30C I wanted to melt. The full vented jackets are much better - not quite as safe but I think not crashing from heatstroke is a big plus.

Yeah definitely something to consider. Probably wouldn't get leather pants but will get the leather jacket, may just have to skip riding on the really hot days though.

If you going to buy new and you going to keep the bike for a long time then get something you really like... buy cheap can cost you loads in the long run. Are you going to be using it on the road or exploring some of the gravel roads in Aus?

Yeah I have about 10k to spend total, including gear so can definitely get a decent starter bike. I do like the YZF-R125.

Nah no gravel roads, I love sports bikes and that's always what I have wanted to ride.

If you're going to keep it for a while you could consider something sensible though 'proper bike' with a little room for (your) growth. I'm thinkin a Kawa Er6 or any of the other brand equivalents. No idea what your budget is though.

As for clothing, two piece textile gear might also be excellently suited to your needs, a little cooler (temperature) than leather and a lot more affordable. just make sure you get something with a little armor in the important regions.

Yeah want something a lot smaller than the ER6. Im not concerned about power really, I want something small and nimble.

I know there are better options than leather, especially in the climate I live in, but I love the leather racing style jackets. I know you shouldn't put looks over practicality but yeah I admit part of it is the look, vain I know.

Yeah want something a lot smaller than the ER6. Im not concerned about power really, I want something small and nimble.

I know there are better options than leather, especially in the climate I live in, but I love the leather racing style jackets. I know you shouldn't put looks over practicality but yeah I admit part of it is the look, vain I know.

Dude, I'm all about the looks, haha. And let's be honest, riding motorcycles is (almost) never practical. So that's cool.

Anyway,

If you've got 10k to spend, maybe check out the Monster 696 (oh wait, aus dollars are a little different, still you could buy a very young one at a dealer). It's the very definition of small and nimble. It won't kill you either (in terms of power).

If however, it has to be even smaller and it's going to be something you will hang on to for a while, maybe wait for that new bike Yamaha has in the works (the 250 version of that 125r?). You're going to outgrow that 125 rather quickly, and really they are more like mopeds than motorcycles in terms of how they're equipped (brakes/tires), unsafe too if you ask me (since you're sharing the roads with a lot of other traffic).

/edit: yeah that would be the yamaha R25? Styled after the M1 motogp machine, twin cylinder, about 30 horses, looks awesome, go for that. Haha. It'll go well with your leathers too.

gunther

what about a honda cbr250 or a kawasaki ninja 300. Both bikes are for learners, easy to ride and are good fun.

Edit: just googled the r25, awesome looking bike!!

Gritesh

I wear a full leathers, does it look try hard? Probably.

Will I give a fuck how try hard I looked after I go sliding down the pavement and come out with bruises and maybe a broken bone instead of skin grafs? No.

Honestly man there are guys all over my city that rock trainers shorts and a tshirt all summer long. I will literally pull up beside them and laugh and shake my head at them in dismay.

Wear the leathers man, the real riders don't give two shits how you look as long as it protects you and especially if you think they are cool don't skimp out, cause they are!

Dude, I'm all about the looks, haha. And let's be honest, riding motorcycles is (almost) never practical. So that's cool.

Anyway,

If you've got 10k to spend, maybe check out the Monster 696 (oh wait, aus dollars are a little different, still you could buy a very young one at a dealer). It's the very definition of small and nimble. It won't kill you either (in terms of power).

If however, it has to be even smaller and it's going to be something you will hang on to for a while, maybe wait for that new bike Yamaha has in the works (the 250 version of that 125r?). You're going to outgrow that 125 rather quickly, and really they are more like mopeds than motorcycles in terms of how they're equipped (brakes/tires), unsafe too if you ask me (since you're sharing the roads with a lot of other traffic).

/edit: yeah that would be the yamaha R25? Styled after the M1 motogp machine, twin cylinder, about 30 horses, looks awesome, go for that. Haha. It'll go well with your leathers too.

I pretty much don't want to go higher than a 250cc..I will only be riding locally and really want to have all the basics down before I go out into traffic. I may outgrow the 125 quickly, but I just want something that is very forgiving at the start. There a huge industrial areas with wide open roads near my house and they are dead on weekends, so this is where I will do my learning and practicing. Even though I did ride for a week 10 years ago, I was a lot younger and just jumped into it, without really knowing what I was doing.

Yeah the R25. They are quite expensive though for such a small bike but man a replica of a MotoGP bike makes it really tempting to buy. Gotta be the nicest looking small bike out there, although the Aprillia 125 and 250 have always looked awesome to me as well.

what about a honda cbr250 or a kawasaki ninja 300. Both bikes are for learners, easy to ride and are good fun.

Edit: just googled the r25, awesome looking bike!!

Yeah these are all options at this stage. I do like both of those bikes, particularly the Ninja 300.

I wear a full leathers, does it look try hard? Probably.

Will I give a fuck how try hard I looked after I go sliding down the pavement and come out with bruises and maybe a broken bone instead of skin grafs? No.

Honestly man there are guys all over my city that rock trainers shorts and a tshirt all summer long. I will literally pull up beside them and laugh and shake my head at them in dismay.

Wear the leathers man, the real riders don't give two shits how you look as long as it protects you and especially if you think they are cool don't skimp out, cause they are!

This is a great post man and your right. Hope my try hard comment wasn't taken the wrong way. I am sure we have all seen the Rossi wannabes on the road, this is more what I was referring to, even though they still look cool as fuck.

Definitely won't be buying a full suit to start but definitely could be something I would look at in the future, depending how into it I get.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Watevaman

You're wrong about the not caring about how others look. I definitely try to stay away from the ones I see in t-shirts and shorts because I usually find those to be the more dangerous types. Stereotypical but its how I operate.

Dougald

My friend is pretty fashion oriented and even he wouldn't be caught riding without gloves and a jacket. It's just common sense

(of course he buys the cool looking gear, but it's still certified as protective)

Flo_Evans

The only gear I sometimes skip is pants, its too much of a pain in the ass to change your pants sometimes.

Was riding around enjoying the weather yesterday when my bike suddenly started losing power. It would just cut out for 1-2 seconds. Then it wouldn't hold idle and would just die at stoplights. Was really strange... I think I found the issue though

D82tZd3.jpg

Seems like my kickstand bolt vibrated loose and the cutoff switch was randomly deactivating the fuel pump! I wonder how long that has been missing wtf. Kind of surprised the kickstand is still there.

gunther

Yeah these are all options at this stage. I do like both of those bikes, particularly the Ninja 300.

I have rode only a frined's ninja 300, learning to ride. It's really stable and easy, the power only comes in the 3rd gear, 1st 2nd are smooth and easy. On the other hand the cbr looks nicer and its cheaper.

The only gear I sometimes skip is pants, its too much of a pain in the ass to change your pants sometimes.

Was riding around enjoying the weather yesterday when my bike suddenly started losing power. It would just cut out for 1-2 seconds. Then it wouldn't hold idle and would just die at stoplights. Was really strange... I think I found the issue though

D82tZd3.jpg

Seems like my kickstand bolt vibrated loose and the cutoff switch was randomly deactivating the fuel pump! I wonder how long that has been missing wtf. Kind of surprised the kickstand is still there.

You can be glad the side stand did not fold out while you went around the corner.... I saw my dad do that once before bikes told you that your side stand was out... man you crap in your pants as it can lift the bike up.

a bit of lock tight might sort that out in the long run

Flo_Evans

Cannot go wrong with getting the BMW Adv (Mothership as its called in South Africa). Awesome piece of kit and I hope he enjoys it.

That Monster is a nice looking bike... never test rode one and always keen to get to know one better.

Monsters are fun, but they are TINY, cramped, and uncomfortable for longer than 100 miles. I might buy another one someday but I think my next bike is going to be comfortable... getting too old for a sore ass and back.

Please report back on how that combo goes off-road, although not perfect I am sure the MT21/D606 setup will work a fair bit better than the stock Trailwings I had :). Haven't had a chance to test them off-road yet but they faired ok for road use (up to ~70mph so far)

Anything is better than the Trailwings when it comes to offroad riding. Everywhere I read people said the Trailwings are terrible in the dirt and fine on the road, but I've never used them.

The Shinko 244 front and Kenda K270 seem to be fine at speed, but I did notice the 244 has a max speed of 75mph, so it's probably not a good tire for long distance travel unless you don't like to go fast. I did about 5 miles off road on some rougher dirt roads and things were a bit loose, so I took out the pressure gauge and aired them down to about 15psi (about 1 bar) and they seemed to grip pretty well after that, but the front wheel did feel a bit squishy (which is probably normal, but I don't have a lot of experience of riding off road). When I got back to pavement I put 30psi rear and 25psi front and it drove better on pavement than it had before, so I'm guessing the place I had the new tires installed put maybe 20 psi in the tires.

So for my DR650 (and probably you KLR riders) I'm going to give the MT21/D606 and Shiko244/KendaK270 setup both two thumbs up. The Shinko/Kenda setup is considerable less expensive and about 90% the grip off road. Now begins the long life wear test :)

Just remember to air down those tires when going offroad and keep a pump with you.

^ nice

Monsters are fun, but they are TINY, cramped, and uncomfortable for longer than 100 miles. I might buy another one someday but I think my next bike is going to be comfortable... getting too old for a sore ass and back.

Pff :p my 1100 is just right though, I'd bet it's just as easy to ride to southern France as a GS1200.

My old 620 was a bit too small I admit, knees started to hurt after a couple of hours.

Flo_Evans

^ nice

Pff :p my 1100 is just right though, I'd bet it's just as easy to ride to southern France as a GS1200.

My old 620 was a bit too small I admit, knees started to hurt after a couple of hours.

I test rode the 796 or whatever recently. Now it could be that I am used to a 21" front and a foot of suspension travel, but it felt real small.

I don't really think it's a negative, it's just different. Small bikes are great, esp off road but of you wanna do a 300 mile day they are rough.

Gritesh

Shhh don't tell anyone I know but I really REALLY wish I bought a hyperstrada instead of my monster, I love my monster but man that hyperstrada would be perfect combo of agile and fun and touring.

Probably for shits and giggles going to look into switching bikes either this season or next though. Unless someone has bad experiences with the Hyperstrada.

really considerin' upgrading the zook to a speed triple. took a test ride on a 2014 awhile back and OH SWEET JESUS TORQUE ALL OVER MY TITS AND FACE

I test rode the 796 or whatever recently. Now it could be that I am used to a 21" front and a foot of suspension travel, but it felt real small.

I don't really think it's a negative, it's just different. Small bikes are great, esp off road but of you wanna do a 300 mile day they are rough.

(796 is about one cm. lower than the 1100 which is something you really notice), but yeah they aren't big bikes. (Which is what makes them so good Flo! Haha).

Gritesh said:
Probably for shits and giggles going to look into switching bikes either this season or next though. Unless someone has bad experiences with the Hyperstrada.

Only that it doesn't look half as menacing as the 'old' Hypermotard. I wonder wether they'll be selling one with the new 1200 engine.

really considerin' upgrading the zook to a speed triple. took a test ride on a 2014 awhile back and OH SWEET JESUS TORQUE ALL OVER MY TITS AND FACE

Yeah that thing has torque literally anywhere on the rev range.

Dougald

Bah , just noticed one of the rear spokes on my Bonnevilles wheels has snapped. It's going in for an MOT tomorrow too, not my month for bike problems!

At least this problem, while being more expensive, is less likely to kill me than my brake lever snapping off

Watevaman

brokenclutch_by_watevaman-d7e9wj1.jpg

this happened about 65 miles from home yesterday. what a fun trip back

edit: and yes Dougald, I blame it on you. My bike was reading this thread and got ideas from your brake lever story.

Dougald

That's awful, did you drop it? (just looking at the bend)

At least when I dropped my Bonneville I still had half a lever left, well done on managing to get that 65 miles home! 1 mile on the Yamaha was stressful enough.

Watevaman

It actually fell on the same grass it's on in the picture (the kickstand puck wasn't there). Not sure if I didn't put it down all hte way or what but I hopped off and next thing I know it's down.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Took my Honda Ruckus out for the first real ride of the spring. I am slowly getting used to the Yoshimura exhaust (LOUD).

My only regret is that it intimidates other drivers and pedestrians with its ferocious untamed power.

Today and yesterday have been perfect weather. Sunny, around 70-80F, low humidity. If only Maryland had this kind of weather most of the year...

Dougald

Been lent a 2014 Bonneville America for the day (unless they don't have any spokes in, then it'll be for god knows how long)

Considering underneath its pretty much the same engine/bike as the Bonneville, I enjoyed riding it a lot. I'm short so the cruiser style is a lot easier to ride, and it's not too heavy either.

Yeah, would love to hear those pipes...

@watevaman: that sucks, can you fix it with just a new lever or is the entire thing bent out of shape?

Dougald

The bad, the Triumph is stuck in the shop until they get a new spoke in (hopefully tomorrow), then they can MOT it

The good: I get to keep the America tonight. Nothing like a free bike for a couple of days. The thing is horrible on the motorway and horrible stopped at the lights, but great for cruising the countryside.

Top Bottom