• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

How do you like the look of it? (as compared to American Choppers)

/edit: unrelated, but this pic was taken by my brother sunday morning, thought I'd share it:

img_17559lpgk.jpg

Does anyone else kind of enjoy riding in the rain? I think it's just the fact that most people don't expect you to be out there on a bike... I dunno, I get a kick out of it. :p

@GONZO: Excellent!

@opticalmace: not so much actually. Can't stand the thought of the bike getting dirty and I don't trust my tires as much. Both aspects are probably not as bad as I think they are, but they do bother me enough so that I avoid rain as much as I can.

Dougald

How do you like the look of it? (as compared to American Choppers)[/IMG]

It's more like a mini-chopper as it's not too big. Really not a bike to own unless you like the Harley style though.

Very comfortable to ride, but not as involved as my Bonneville or Fazer, probably more "cool" to ride than "fun". I'll just wait until I retire and get my Rocket 3 or Goldwing..

That Buell still looks awesome. Definitely the American brand to own..

GONZO

Hm, what do you guys think of this bike...

2008 SV650 with ABS
12xxx km
$5000 CAD

http://www.fasttrackperformance.ca/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=62660&pov=3678096

I think the aftermarket headlight is ugly, and prefer quiet exhausts, but...

As a past owner of an sv I can vouch for them being incredibly reliable and fun bikes. You will not be disappointed by that choice at all! thought the price seems a bit high. I put 24 thousand miles on mine with not a single issue.

Watevaman

Man, I'm thinking about throwing the regular bars back on my GS500 after riding my friend's Ninja 650 the other day (after my clutch lever broke). It was just so much more comfortable compared to my clubman bars I have on there now.

Damaged

A flyby preferably :D

@damaged: I forgot to ask, have you mounted those new pipes yet?

Yep, was a pig of a job in the end. The old cat pipe has rusted up and bonded with the graphite gasket and the end can. It took two hours with a small chisel to get the gasket out.

Sounds nice now though, I was going to put a picture up but no way after seeing the brutale hahaha

Hm, what do you guys think of this bike...

2008 SV650 with ABS
12xxx km
$5000 CAD

I think the aftermarket headlight is ugly, and prefer quiet exhausts, but...

Nice bike, and it probably sounds great with that exhaust. As for the headlamp... it's almost impossible to beat the look of the original headlight (on any bike), he should have that lying around or it would be a reason for me to deduct it from the price. And yeah, 5k seems a bit much.

Yep, was a pig of a job in the end. The old cat pipe has rusted up and bonded with the graphite gasket and the end can. It took two hours with a small chisel to get the gasket out.

Sounds nice now though, I was going to put a picture up but no way after seeing the brutale hahaha

Ah man, I want to see it :p, the more bike pics the merrier imho.

Damaged

Nice bike, and it probably sounds great with that exhaust. As for the headlamp... it's almost impossible to beat the look of the original headlight (on any bike), he should have that lying around or it would be a reason for me to deduct it from the price. And yeah, 5k seems a bit much.

Ah man, I want to see it :p, the more bike pics the merrier imho.

Haha, well ill wash the bike first. try to ignore the rusty headers and keep in mind that its done 46,000 miles in three years when I do!

StuKen

Picking up a fully farkled 2006 R1200GS Adventure after work to replace the CBF1000. Aluminium luggage, gps, floodlights, asc, abs, upgraded suspension. I'm pretty much like a kid at christmas.

Watevaman

I really like the look of the Honda 650. I actually like the faired version as well which is a first for the 650s out there. Both the Ninja 650 and Suzuki (is it GSX650F?) don't do it for me whereas this looks pretty nice.

Damaged

That looks fucking excellent, especially considering the mileage and the hard use. Thanks for going through the trouble of shooting a vid as well, sounds pretty damn savage.

Thanks allot, honestly I have abused this bike more than I care to mention and it seems to just take it. Makes the daily 90 miles allot more fun :)

StuKen

Sucess. Gearbox is from a tractor and the dry clutch sounds like the 1960s but the engine pulls like the tractor the gearbox was stolen from and the suspension and brakes are out of this world. Happy with the buy. Oh, and its more comforatble than the Clio :)

Dougald

More comfortable and bigger! I do love the R1200GS, even though there are a lot of them about on the roads

Just heard from Triumph that my bikes ready, at least it didn't fail the MOT (and I noticed the spoke before getting it done)

Sucess. Gearbox is from a tractor and the dry clutch sounds like the 1960s but the engine pulls like the tractor the gearbox was stolen from and the suspension and brakes are out of this world. Happy with the buy. Oh, and its more comforatble than the Clio :)

Grats on the bike... with that 33L tank you can in flight refuel your mates bikes. Awesome machine to think if you get going all that weight disappears

Enjoy

Dougald

Ugh, the Bonneville feels so underpowered (in engine and braking) as soon as I get back on it from any other bike. The brakes are the worst, I think it would be quicker to stop by dragging my heals on the ground

I only keep it because I irrationally love it so. Which is the point, I suppose

Ugh, the Bonneville feels so underpowered (in engine and braking) as soon as I get back on it from any other bike. The brakes are the worst, I think it would be quicker to stop by dragging my heals on the ground

I only keep it because I irrationally love it so. Which is the point, I suppose

Its all about what make you happy man... its like an Alfa hehe

Or a Buell, I had to push mine home yesterday (from Wassenaar to Leiden, 5,5 km) after the oil pressure light came on (not sure whether it was simply a low level, the pump or the sensor, but I wasn't taking any risks).

Took me about 2,5 hours. Shit that fucker is heavy.

The good news is that I picked up the Ducati Monster from the dealer today ('big' service, oil, belts, valves etc) and it didn't require any pushing on the way home, haha.

StukeN, congrats on the BMW!

Dougald

5.5km? Ugh, I'd have just risked it and probably blown the engine, or called for a tow.... that's what you get for buying American (about the same as I get for buying British).

I did however just take the Triumph to the pub for lunch. That's pretty much it's primary purpose, to take me to new countryside pubs on sunny days. Which isn't bad at all.

Yep, in Dutch we have this saying: 'je moet er wat voor over hebben'

which roughly translates to 'comes with the territory' (in this case of owning an exotic bike), though the Dutch saying better covers the fact that there's some effort involved.

(but yeah it was quite a trek, pff, my arms hurt).

Fixed1979

My SC Projects exhaust showed up on Friday and I finally got a chance to get it installed last night. What a glorious difference! I stood next to the bike laughing to myself with each blip of the throttle content knowing that no one could actually hear me laugh. I have the baffle out right now as I was curious to hear just how loud it was, I'll probably leave it out for the first ride just to see how bad it really is.

The bike is still dirty from my one ride so far this year, so I'll get some pictures up over the weekend once I'm able to get it out in the sun and cleaned up.

My SC Projects exhaust showed up on Friday and I finally got a chance to get it installed last night. What a glorious difference! I stood next to the bike laughing to myself with each blip of the throttle content knowing that no one could actually hear me laugh. I have the baffle out right now as I was curious to hear just how loud it was, I'll probably leave it out for the first ride just to see how bad it really is.

The bike is still dirty from my one ride so far this year, so I'll get some pictures up over the weekend once I'm able to get it out in the sun and cleaned up.

Nice. Is it a slip-on?

TomServo

Does anyone else kind of enjoy riding in the rain? I think it's just the fact that most people don't expect you to be out there on a bike... I dunno, I get a kick out of it. :p

I enjoy the concentration it requires. Clears my head.

I left work in an absolutely foul mood yesterday. Got poured on during the entire ride home, not a stich on me was dry when I pulled into the garage. I was in a great mood. Not thinking about anything at all but the ride for half an hour was amazing therapy.

Or a Buell, I had to push mine home yesterday (from Wassenaar to Leiden, 5,5 km) after the oil pressure light came on (not sure whether it was simply a low level, the pump or the sensor, but I wasn't taking any risks).

Took me about 2,5 hours. Shit that fucker is heavy.

The good news is that I picked up the Ducati Monster from the dealer today ('big' service, oil, belts, valves etc) and it didn't require any pushing on the way home, haha.

StukeN, congrats on the BMW!

Damn that is a long old way... glad the Duke is out and all ready for the summer.

I enjoy the concentration it requires. Clears my head.

I left work in an absolutely foul mood yesterday. Got poured on during the entire ride home, not a stich on me was dry when I pulled into the garage. I was in a great mood. Not thinking about anything at all but the ride for half an hour was amazing therapy.

Actually yeah, that's totally it. I am much more conscious about being aware/careful in the rain... for some reason it's great mood therapy. You have to put everything else out of your mind.

Well put!

Yup. It's pretty substantial difference from the giant stock exhaust as well.

Stock exhaust weight: 5,6 Kg SC exhaust weight: 1,9 Kg Weight reduction: 3,7 Kg
Performance. Maximum power increase: + 4,8 HP

Holy crap!

Dude we will have to hear this... pop a short video on the tube. Enjoy the slip on and I almost thought I was in the wrong thread when I saw you use the word slip-on haha

Yeah I would of called a friend with a trailer for that distance.

Yep, though I don't have any friends with a trailer, and even then I wouldn't want to burden them with the consequences of my off beat choices in transportation ;).

In the end it wasn't too bad, perhaps even cathartic in a way. It gives you ample time to think.

Jackson

Friend and I got our endorsements last week after passing the MSF class. He just picked up a CBR500RA. I'm still undecided between a CBR500RA or Ninja 300A...

Fuckin' Easter, fuckin' 420.

I was going down this small, tight country road and was going slow-ish (not enough, it seems). As I started a slight left lean I saw ahead a shitload of gravel. So I went into the brakes, and then promptly found out I was already on a bunch of gravel. I found out because I lost the front and went down, bike went off the edge of the road down an embankment. I was able to lift it and get it out of there and eventually ride it home. Windscreen cracked/came off. Ground down both of the main sliders. Cracked/fucked up the upper cowl (AGAIN). There is a hole on the back right corner of my tail fairing...interesting. Helmet gone due to one stupid spot (URGH fucking $650 right there). Jacket got some pretty serious rash in one area...not sure I will re-use. Gloves, pants, and boots are mostly fine. I have very minor rash at the impact point near my left elbow (through the armor and leather), a stiff neck, and a sore left hip. I have a feeling tomorrow morning I will not want to walk.

tl;dr - I'm fucking retarded.

edit: Here is a part (not the whole line of gravel by any means...it was too far back...) of what got me...click for full size -

You can see the part where I veered off. Definitely went in on the brakes...probably a bit hard for the scenario, but it really did not take much

Reven

Just finished my MSF Basic Rider Course this morning, and I'm worn out. That was a lot of fun but damn am I sore lol. Now I think I finally have the confidence to take my bike out on the road.

Top Bottom