• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Ah alright, you're looking at gen2 bikes. Well in that case go for it. That generation the difference between 6 and 1 is a lot more pronounced as well (in that the 1 looks quite a bit more badass, fairing or no).

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to resist that either. The FZ1 has a nice and beefy look going for it as well.

/edit:

- I think the first generation has a carb as well.
Shit you're right. I've never driven a carb'd anything. what do?

edit:
Ah alright, you're looking at gen2 bikes. Well in that case go for it. That generation the difference between 6 and 1 is a lot more pronounced as well (in that the 1 looks quite a bit more badass, fairing or no).
im looking at both gens, but all this carb talk has me worried

Given that you're in Arizona, the carb likely won't give you any trouble (no cold weather for the most part, right?). There are a few pros/cons to both carb and injection though I would imagine the pretty vastly different look in the Gen1/Gen2 bikes would play a bigger role in your preference of 1 over the other. You could also see and try if you can ride both bikes to feel out the difference in terms of fueling and feel of the engine.

Since you're looking at the FZ1 though, I imagine Yamaha spent a bit more on decent fuel injection (moreso than on the FZ6's whose fueling I don't like one bit). It's worth looking into though.

/edit: also, an aftermarket exhaust + airfilter + properly mapped ECU can play a huge role in improving how a bike's engine feels and responds (especially the fuel injected models I suspect). Aks the owners if anything's been done in that regard.

Given that you're in Arizona, the carb likely won't give you any trouble (no cold weather for the most part, right?). There are a few pros/cons to both carb and injection though I would imagine the pretty vastly different look in the Gen1/Gen2 bikes would play a bigger role in your preference of 1 over the other. You could also see and try if you can ride both bikes to feel out the difference in terms of fueling and feel of the engine.

Since you're looking at the FZ1 though, I imagine Yamaha spent a bit more on decent fuel injection (moreso than on the FZ6's whose fueling I don't like one bit). It's worth looking into though.

nah never cold, we do have frequent elevation changes though when leaving the valley, that's not an issue is it?

thanks for the help

My pleasure (should be working right now, but talking about bikes is infinitely more fun, haha).

As for the elevation changes, nope that's not an issue.

cool , i'll let you guys know how the test ride goes this afternoon, theres also a few fz6 sellers ive contacted so i'll see if i can try a few of those as well.

Dougald

Arizona... that must be nice, no rust, long riding season...!

Isn't the FZ1 engine a modified R1 engine, anyway? I suspect the fuel injection on that will be decent... In fact, from a quick google, it looks like the later FZ6's have a modified R6 engine in them...

Bike manufacturers tend to be lazy like that anyway. I'm pretty sure Triumph for example only have what, 3 engines (the parallel twin, the triple, and the rocket 3), just at different bore sizes, etc? I know the Street 3 and Tiger 800 use variations of the Daytona engine.

cool , i'll let you guys know how the test ride goes this afternoon, theres also a few fz6 sellers ive contacted so i'll see if i can try a few of those as well.

Excellent. If you try the newer (fuel injection) FZ6, when you're riding it, let off the accelerator for a bit anywhere between 3 and 5000 rpm (I guess) and then open the taps again. If it's like the one I rode, you'll probably feel it surge or give you that on/off sensation (in that it will seem incapable of reapplying the throttle smoothly).

See if the FZ1 does the same thing (probably not). Like Dougald said, I also suspect the FZ1's injection will be better sorted:

Isn't the FZ1 engine a modified R1 engine, anyway? I suspect the fuel injection on that will be decent... In fact, from a quick google, it looks like the later FZ6's have a modified R6 engine in them...

really AZ has to be one of the best states in America for riding. It never rains, the roads are fast and smooth, there are canyons and mountains everywhere to rip through, and hundreds of miles of off road trails and highway straightaways. Not to mention once you get out in the desert you can pretty much go as fast as you want ( so long as you dont get blown over by the cross winds). For comparison sake, I drove to Cali last weekend to sell the f650 and found driving there far less enjoyable. The wind gusts were terrible, the roads were covered in sand and generally unmaintained, and traffic was far worse.
Excellent. If you try the newer (fuel injection) FZ6, when you're riding it, let off the accelerator for a bit anywhere between 3 and 5000 rpm (I guess) and then open the taps again. If it's like the one I rode, you'll probably feel it surge or give you that on/off sensation (in that it will seem incapable of reapplying the throttle smoothly).

See if the FZ1 does the same thing (probably not). Like Dougald said, I also suspect the FZ1's injection will be better sorted:

I am pretty sure the older fuel injected fz6 had a TPS recall that addressed the problems you are referring to? but idk and I will be sure to look into exactly what you are refering to when I check out the bikes

Dougald

Gotta clear up my rear brake tonight as just noticed from a quick trip out that its sticking slightly. Hope I don't need to drop the pistons out as I just did a quick search for piston seals and couldn't find them anywhere but triumphs parts fiche (who want £30 for new seals... for a single pot caliper. W.T.F)

Edit: scratch that, managed to find a single pair on ebay that were mis-listed... 7 quid. Will change the seals anyway for that price..

Here are the bikes I photographed in France (some in the Alps, some in the Provence). Guess which one's my favorite :p.

Dunno which is your fave, but mine would be the RC51 and the VMAX for the way they sound. The former is actually usable as a sportbike and sounds great, the latter sounds mean and is a clown bike :)

S1000R is the one I'd own, however

Gotta clear up my rear brake tonight as just noticed from a quick trip out that its sticking slightly. Hope I don't need to drop the pistons out as I just did a quick search for piston seals and couldn't find them anywhere but triumphs parts fiche (who want £30 for new seals... for a single pot caliper. W.T.F)

Edit: scratch that, managed to find a single pair on ebay that were mis-listed... 7 quid. Will change the seals anyway for that price..

So worn seals cause the sticking? I've never had that problem on any of my bikes, seems odd for such a young bike.

Dunno which is your fave, but mine would be the RC51 and the VMAX for the way they sound. The former is actually usable as a sportbike and sounds great, the latter sounds mean and is a clown bike :)

S1000R is the one I'd own, however

I was kinda partial to the Buell. Though yes, the Honda is an awesome bike for a lot of reasons, pretty rare too. Love the story of its development, how they had to come up with something to beat the 916 in the World Superbike Championships of the late 90ies.

Dougald

So worn seals cause the sticking? I've never had that problem on any of my bikes, seems odd for such a young bike.

They can cause the piston to seize. On my bike it almost certainly just needs a good clean and some grease, but I figured while I'm doing it, I might as well be thorough!

Any suggestions for a cheap seat cushion? I hit up the local walmart/target and couldn't find anything suitable (preferably something with straps).

Though yes, the Honda is an awesome bike for a lot of reasons, pretty rare too. Love the story of its development, how they had to come up with something to beat the 916 in the World Superbike Championships of the late 90ies.

I got to spend a day on my friend's and found that, despite its weight, actually had pretty damn good handling characteristics. His is geared down a little, so there's some nice grunt as well. The sound is just great, though. It's not just a big twin, but I think the gear driven cams also contributes that almost "whiny" type noise. Sounds nice.

iamblades

I got to spend a day on my friend's and found that, despite its weight, actually had pretty damn good handling characteristics. His is geared down a little, so there's some nice grunt as well. The sound is just great, though. It's not just a big twin, but I think the gear driven cams also contributes that almost "whiny" type noise. Sounds nice.

Straight cut gears in general make the best sounds.

Dougald

Any suggestions for a cheap seat cushion? I hit up the local walmart/target and couldn't find anything suitable (preferably something with straps).

Can't help you with cheap, but I can recommend the Air Hog inflatable cushion enough. Saved my arse on my long Bonneville trips

Went for a ride last night, got a bit lost but wasn't worried as I was heading in the right direction... until my fuel light came on and I hit maybe the only main road in South East England without a petrol station for 30 miles. Must have been running on fumes by the time I pulled in! At least I know that the reserve comes on at ~110 miles now. Now that my Shoei is worn in I can say that it is MUCH quieter than my old Arai Chaser, surprisingly so. It's almost the same level as noise without earplugs at 60mph as the Arai was with them, and I'm not even using the chin curtain.

Just came across this on our Dutch craigslist equivalent:

_850fiji.jpg

This is pretty much exactly how I would want my Harley to look if I ever got around to buying one. Nothing too flashy, no idiotically long forks, a fat rear wheel but not too big, no stupid ape hanger handle bars and a beautifully cut rear fender along with a nice and simple seat instead of some huge cushioned monstrosity.
Though it does kinda have murder written all over it, haha.

Straight cut gears in general make the best sounds.

Didn't MV Agusta bikes also make use of straight cut gears?

Just came across this on our Dutch craigslist equivalent:

This is pretty much exactly how I would want my Harley to look if I ever got around to buying one. Nothing too flashy, no idiotically long forks, a fat rear wheel but not too big, no stupid ape hanger handle bars and a beautifully cut rear fender along with a nice and simple seat instead of some huge cushioned monstrosity.
Though it does kinda have murder written all over it, haha.
That is a pretty nice looking cruiser. I'd ride that, even though I'm not really a fan of Harleys.

Yeah it doesn't look too bad, does it?

Though I heard talk of a 54 mile range for this particular prototype. For a bike (at least) you'd hope for maybe double that. Especially considering the somewhat modest 55kw power output. Still, if the price is right... I'm definitely interested in an electric addition to the stables somewhere down the line.

Dougald

100+ mile range is what you want really, then it's in the territory of what you get with a petrol bike. Of course they can't be recharged as quick as you can refuel a bike, but I would say for many owners it's not as crucial as with a car, as a lot of people aren't doing a great deal of miles.

The test rides continue... got a ride on a 2012 Ninja 650 this evening.

It was unexpected, so I only rode it for maybe 20 minutes. It felt very upright when compared to my Ninja 250, and frankly I didn't really much care for it. Bars felt too high for me, and generally didn't like the seating position. I felt like I was sitting on the bike rather than in the bike, if that makes sense. Just didn't feel in control I guess.

Anyway, motor was nice, decent torque in most gears at any reasonable speed. But I've realized I really want something with a good forward lean (my 250 has a lean of about 24 or 25 degrees).

Now I'm thinking maybe something like this...

Suzuki_SV650.jpg

The test rides continue... got a ride on a 2012 Ninja 650 this evening.

It was unexpected, so I only rode it for maybe 20 minutes. It felt very upright when compared to my Ninja 250, and frankly I didn't really much care for it. Bars felt too high for me, and generally didn't like the seating position. I felt like I was sitting on the bike rather than in the bike, if that makes sense. Just didn't feel in control I guess.

Anyway, motor was nice, decent torque in most gears at any reasonable speed. But I've realized I really want something with a good forward lean (my 250 has a lean of about 24 or 25 degrees).

Now I'm thinking maybe something like this...

Suzuki_SV650.jpg

The Ninja is more of a upright bike as you said and it should be nice to ride in the city and traffic. The SV in my opinion looks better but again you will have to test drive it and if you like it then go for it. I had a test ride on the SV1000 some years ago and man it was a mad bike and it sounded like a beast. The only problem this guy had was it loved to tank slap when you are pushing hard. He was a weekend racer (track)

OjZ3LTy.jpg

Yeah those SV's sound excellent. I find it incredibly hard to distinguish them from Ducati's whenever I hear one rolling up. 4valved as well, so a little bit more powerful than the entry level Monsters.

Wikipedia also notes that the SV650S versions have lower handlebars and higher footpegs, so yeah, that seems to be what you're looking for.

Decided to go with the fz6. Found a 2008 one that's all black with 5k miles and leo vince exhaust. If everything goes according to plan I should have it tomorrow afternoon. Yay!

The newer fz1's were not affordable and I did not care for the look of the earlier ones.

I am proud of myself for making a semi-sensible decision with the fz6. I was so close to buying a mint ducati 749 dark. Ultimately though, I could not justify the future maintenance expenses I would likely have to endure with the duc.

Izayoi

Banned
What's proper waving etiquette? I've been throwing a low peace sign to everyone on less than four wheels, but I see various different waves from others (I think motorcycle cops are hilarious, they're so curt and formal with it) so I'm not really sure if I'm doing it right. Is there even a "right" way?

Also, sometimes people on cruisers aren't very nice to the sport bike guys it seems. I've gotten a few birds from guys on Harleys... Makes me kinda sad. ;_;

What's proper waving etiquette? I've been throwing a low peace sign to everyone on less than four wheels, but I see various different waves from others (I think motorcycle cops are hilarious, they're so curt and formal with it) so I'm not really sure if I'm doing it right. Is there even a "right" way?

Also, sometimes people on cruisers aren't very nice to the sport bike guys it seems. I've gotten a few birds from guys on Harleys... Makes me kinda sad. ;_;

Do the reverse peace sign. They won't know what it means (if in the U.S.) but you will. It's like some kind of fun game.

In seriousness, do whatever you want. Everyone waves differently...there is no rule. Some person I work with that owns a Harley insisted that you have to do index and middle finger together down to your side/the road. But a lot of them won't even take their hand off the bar and just extend their fingers. Some do what I generally do (open palm, hand out a bit to my side, almost parallel to road), though. Ever see a guy with ape hangers wave? Pretty funny shit.

I ride a cruiser, and the only people I don't wave to are people on mopeds. I either just do a normal wave or the devil horns, depending on the day.

Dougald

People generally nod (twist of the head is more visible) in the UK. Mostly for safety because we drive on the left, and raising your throttle hand isn't a good idea. 99% of Harley riders never nod no matter what you're riding

On the continent people will generally just put their arm right out to the left like a high five, even if they're on the other carriageway of a motorway, and stick their leg out when they pass. The British seem grumpier in that regard

Do the reverse peace sign. They won't know what it means (if in the U.S.) but you will. It's like some kind of fun game.

In seriousness, do whatever you want. Everyone waves differently...there is no rule. Some person I work with that owns a Harley insisted that you have to do index and middle finger together down to your side/the road. But a lot of them won't even take their hand off the bar and just extend their fingers. Some do what I generally do (open palm, hand out a bit to my side, almost parallel to road), though. Ever see a guy with ape hangers wave? Pretty funny shit.

i princess wave at the hogs. confuses the shit out of 'em!

Found out why my Ninja 250R started overheating, apparently the cooling fan is starting to seize. Also got the valves checked for the 12000km service, now I play the waiting game for the part.

Should have it back by Wednesday, hopefully.

Dougald

Hope they used better materials for the brakes.

£2.99 for two new keys though, explains the quality - it looked like paper inside. The parts list for that bike is hilarious really, a brand new tank is £40.

Been a GREAT weekend for biking, though. Which for me normally means head out to the nearest 60mph country road and ride in the general direction of a pub for some horrendously unhealthy food.

Watevaman

I really wish I had some knee sliders. There's a nice road that I've hit up a few times now and I'm getting better every time but I still only have a bare velcro area where my knee slider would go (my pants didn't come with them). Thinking about going out that way tomorrow but I'm not sure if I want to keep going and risk tearing up my velcro.

Izayoi

Banned
Hm... You can bite into corners way steeper than I thought when I first started riding.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this!

Izayoi

Banned
oh, and this is useful for anyone new to riding, but make sure you watch Twist of the Wrist (2, at least):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVWLIfChUwg
This is very helpful!

One thing I'm slightly confused about, they talk about smooth throttle throughout the turn, but then later they talk about rolling off the throttle after you enter... Am I just confused here?

I had the understanding that you needed to increase throttle throughout the turn... Do you only roll off if you entered too aggressively?

Edit: Are there any tracks in WA, Drinky? A lot of this seems like stuff I would want to practice on the track, not on the road - especially the quick turn and the more aggressive leaning positions.

Edit Edit: Are there any advanced riding schools, with actual classes that last longer than just a single day for a few hours? I intend on taking the beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses at the Everett motorcycle safety school, but after those, I can't find any options for further education.

Top Bottom