• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

This was the best shot I got while at the dragon. Easily the greatest lean angle I was able to hit.

482020_zpsc232859c.jpg

That is a nice shot man.. Jealous indeed

I'm not a handy person in the slightest, but it is really rewarding just getting a couple small things done on the bike.

Wish I had a garage though, instead of a shared parking lot!

Dougald

Bikes make it so much easier to learn how to maintain your vehicle. I'd never touched the car for fear of breaking something, but after having the bike a few years I'm happy to have a go at anything remotely DIY-able.

Did someone say Buell?

tell me about it

fTOICRH.jpg

:)

No shit! A fellow Buell owner. That's awesome!

I have 2. Both of them are out of order at the moment, but they will run again. Oh yes, they will.

Looks like a Street Triple, only better in every way. They really are great looking bikes

Yeah, I have the old tube frame models of course. But I walked past an XB12 Lightning when I was France last week and in the flesh it actually made me want to trade in my tube models, just a little bit.

Welcome to the thread!

Pics of the new bike:

apologies to anyone who thought I was actually Jackie Chan

Hehe, you do tend to picture it that way. Great looking bike. It suits you.

Anyway, apologies for my absence these last two weeks. I was in France, on vacation. I took a whole lot of bike pics though and I cried a little bit every time I saw one, because mine were still at home in the garage (it was more of a cycling vacation. I rode up the Mont Ventoux in just over two hours which was very tough indeed.) Next time I'm also bringing the motorcycles.

I'll post the pics once I've processed them a little.

Test rode some bikes! This is coming from someone who rides a Ninja 250R.

Honda CBR500R. Looks sporty, but when I got on it felt completely different to my Ninja. It made my 250 feel like a supersport in seating position. Tons of legroom, not much forward lean (or so it felt). Motor is really easy to use, decent torque for getting around the city. Really easy to maneuver at low speeds, and I think it might be impossible to stall this bike! Don't really have to rev it off the line at all. Didn't handle as well as my 250. Would have preferred the bars slightly higher. Nice bike all around, but I definitely understand the "sheep in wolf's clothing" quotes now.

Honda CB500X. No photo so stock image, but it was identical. Same engine as the CBR500R, but a bit taller, much more upright seating position, slightly shorter gearing, bigger gas tank, etc. The long and short of it is I think this is the best of the Honda 500s. Corners surprisingly well (in an upright way), you have a great view of the road, and the seat was extremely comfortable. Could definitely notice that this was a bit faster than the 500R (again due to the gearing). Great bike, unfortunately for me my back doesn't like upright seating. Low price. Highly recommended.

CBR650F (new for 2015 in Canada). Beautiful bike. I didn't plan on testing this but it was available so I figured what the heck. Has about 84 (87?) horsepower, so by far the fastest bike I've ever ridden. As soon as I started it up it oozed 'premium' after riding the 500s. Very good fit and finish. Seating position was almost identical to my 250, though higher seat height. Wonderful sound (inline-4), easy to ride at low speeds. Absolutely tons of grunt in most of the range. After about 4000 rpm (11k redline I think) it just pulls. Flattens a bit and then comes back on the power a bit higher, but I didn't push it much. Front end was noticeably short after riding the other bikes, which took a little while to get used to. Clearly not as nimble as my Ninja 250, but the bike was a blast to drive. Good seat but clearly not as comfortable as the 500s (in particular the X). Also, I was shocked at how quickly it revved when I went for downshifts.

I'm now split between wanting the nimbleness of a small bike (like my 250) and the comfort and power of a larger bike (like the 650F).

All in all, compared to my Ninja 250:
CBR500R -- not worth the upgrade as far as I can tell, loses the sportiness for little gain IMO.
CB500X -- totally worth it if you want something upright, comfy, and can handle a bit of off-road.
CBR650F -- lovely 4-cylinder, lots of power but not unpredictable, seemed like a quality product. not sure I'm willing to give up the low-speed fun of my little bike but when I was riding it I was talking to myself in my helmet, so yeah it was fun. :O

Test rode some bikes! This is coming from someone who rides a Ninja 250R.

Honda CBR500R. Looks sporty, but when I got on it felt completely different to my Ninja. It made my 250 feel like a supersport in seating position. Tons of legroom, not much forward lean (or so it felt). Motor is really easy to use, decent torque for getting around the city. Really easy to maneuver at low speeds, and I think it might be impossible to stall this bike! Don't really have to rev it off the line at all. Didn't handle as well as my 250. Would have preferred the bars slightly higher. Nice bike all around, but I definitely understand the "sheep in wolf's clothing" quotes now.

Honda CB500X. No photo so stock image, but it was identical. Same engine as the CBR500R, but a bit taller, much more upright seating position, slightly shorter gearing, bigger gas tank, etc. The long and short of it is I think this is the best of the Honda 500s. Corners surprisingly well (in an upright way), you have a great view of the road, and the seat was extremely comfortable. Could definitely notice that this was a bit faster than the 500R (again due to the gearing). Great bike, unfortunately for me my back doesn't like upright seating. Low price. Highly recommended.

CBR650F (new for 2015 in Canada). Beautiful bike. I didn't plan on testing this but it was available so I figured what the heck. Has about 84 (87?) horsepower, so by far the fastest bike I've ever ridden. As soon as I started it up it oozed 'premium' after riding the 500s. Very good fit and finish. Seating position was almost identical to my 250, though higher seat height. Wonderful sound (inline-4), easy to ride at low speeds. Absolutely tons of grunt in most of the range. After about 4000 rpm (11k redline I think) it just pulls. Flattens a bit and then comes back on the power a bit higher, but I didn't push it much. Front end was noticeably short after riding the other bikes, which took a little while to get used to. Clearly not as nimble as my Ninja 250, but the bike was a blast to drive. Good seat but clearly not as comfortable as the 500s (in particular the X). Also, I was shocked at how quickly it revved when I went for downshifts.

I'm now split between wanting the nimbleness of a small bike (like my 250) and the comfort and power of a larger bike (like the 650F).

All in all, compared to my Ninja 250:
CBR500R -- not worth the upgrade as far as I can tell, loses the sportiness for little gain IMO.
CB500X -- totally worth it if you want something upright, comfy, and can handle a bit of off-road.
CBR650F -- lovely 4-cylinder, lots of power but not unpredictable, seemed like a quality product. not sure I'm willing to give up the low-speed fun of my little bike but when I was riding it I was talking to myself in my helmet, so yeah it was fun. :O

Damn it looks like you had a day of fun riding all those bikes. That CB500x looks like an nice all rounder if you do like a bit of gravel riding.

Then you should definitely check out the Ducati Monster.

Nice write-up!

/edit:

Here are the bikes I photographed in France (some in the Alps, some in the Provence). Guess which one's my favorite :p.

img_2277uksqt.jpg

img_2298m4fi4.jpg

img_243609cfq.jpg

(I don't know this guy btw.)
img_24833rdz1.jpg

img_24904re4q.jpg

img_2370uic5x.jpg

Bonus pics:
img_2477sdaif.jpg

Me on top of the Mt. Ventoux a day after I conquered it with my roadbike.

img_2467csx50.jpg

My girlfriend the day after she had accomplished that feat twice. I had been sick just before the event, so that's my excuse...

the 650f sounds like a great bike. tryin' to convince my bro to upgrade (from his ninja 250) to it instead of a 600rr, but people just aren't rational about bikes (and it's foolish to try to make 'em be so; he wants the rr for the tucked exhausts moreso than the performance. my "wtf dude, where are you gonna have a chance to wind a bike like that up around here" is his "i love how it looks in black and fuck you, if if we were both practical people we'd be riding nc700x's in these parts")

fuck, i'm not exactly sane about 'em myself. did a track day on a 250 and now i want a ninja 300 as a track bike, and i want a honda valkyrie for ridin' with my cruiser peeps and, and, and, and... <BOOM>

Watevaman

pfft, if we were rational, we wouldn't own bikes

I'm still set on a ZRX1200R if I can find one when I have the money to upgrade. Will I ever need to go 100+? No, but do clutchless roll-on wheelies sound fun? Yes.

Okay so I figured you guys are the best to ask.

I'm taking some lessons and going to get my license for a bike finally!

I want my first bike to be something reliable, but also not new or expensive.

I'm not the biggest fan of sports bikes, I like Indian-type bikes, like Indians, Harleys and some Hondas.

That being said, what should I look for in a used bike? What would you guys recommends as a first?

Okay so I figured you guys are the best to ask.

I'm taking some lessons and going to get my license for a bike finally!

I want my first bike to be something reliable, but also not new or expensive.

I'm not the biggest fan of sports bikes, I like Indian-type bikes, like Indians, Harleys and some Hondas.

That being said, what should I look for in a used bike? What would you guys recommends as a first?

Welcome and great stuff for getting started to get your license. What is the budget you are looking at? What size engine bike can you ride on the license you are going to get?

yDk94YX.jpg

Dougald

A cruiser is pretty heavy for a first bike, but it does have the advantage of being very forgiving in terms of engine power... I reckon you'd be alright on something with a smaller (for a cruiser) engine... Honda VT750, Triumph Speedmaster, Triumph America, Harley 883? I've only ridden the Triumph America of those but it's pretty forgiving to ride, no big surprises in torque, and enough power to cruise at motorway speeds if you want to.

The important thing is to get enough training on and off the road before you start riding.

Spent a very slow weekend riding around with the wife, she's finally got her confidence up on her bike now. Gone from scared to moaning that a 125cc bike is too slow (though this may be to do with the fact that I breezed past her on the dual carriageway when she was redlining at 55mph). Her bike has done about 100 miles now, and the fuel level in the tank has only dropped about 1cm, that thing just sips petrol if you put premium in. Still loving my Street Triple, it's great fun.

A cruiser is pretty heavy for a first bike, but it does have the advantage of being very forgiving in terms of engine power... I reckon you'd be alright on something with a smaller (for a cruiser) engine... Honda VT750, Triumph Speedmaster, Triumph America, Harley 883? I've only ridden the Triumph America of those but it's pretty forgiving to ride, no big surprises in torque, and enough power to cruise at motorway speeds if you want to.

The important thing is to get enough training on and off the road before you start riding.

Spent a very slow weekend riding around with the wife, she's finally got her confidence up on her bike now. Gone from scared to moaning that a 125cc bike is too slow (though this may be to do with the fact that I breezed past her on the dual carriageway when she was redlining at 55mph). Her bike has done about 100 miles now, and the fuel level in the tank has only dropped about 1cm, that thing just sips petrol if you put premium in. Still loving my Street Triple, it's great fun.

Wanted to ask you how you still liking the triple? That is great news that she is doing well and getting comfortable on the bike. Yes a small cc bike on the motorway is not fun but then on the smaller roads its more fun to ride.

Dougald

In the case of her Chinese... "masterpiece", it's only fun up to about 40mph. But great to learn on. I actually enjoyed riding it around the suburbs as it's really nimble thanks to the weight and tiny turning circle. Got about 100 miles until the first service (due at 300km, where they have to re-torque all the bolts that have juddered loose lol)

Still really enjoying the Triple, though the underseat exhaust is definitely a negative when you're at the traffic lights. Even did some filtering on it yesterday, it's surprisingly nimble given the very small amount you're able to turn the bars. Bit of a pain to park because of that, but it's more than enough for the road/squeezing between stationary cars. Plus I can get right up to the speed limit in first gear, which is handy for when the prat you filtered past decides to try and race you off the lights.

(@hammerofthor)

I would agree that a cruiser might not be the best thing to start on. Unless that's all you're planning to ride for the rest of your motorcycle career. Handling is just not much of a priority when those bikes are designed and that's incredibly apparent when you ride one (the huge front wheel on a Sportster 883 for instance gives it a very 'funny' feeling when turning in, at least I think that's the cause). However, you ride cruisers for other reasons and if those are what you look for in a motorcycle then a cruiser you should get. I would advise you to try a naked bike as well though. In terms of useability, handling and just the right amount of power, most naked bikes are absolutely perfect for road use.

Buy a Buell if you want both the awesome Harley character and a bike that handles like a proper bike should.
Haha.

Other interesting alternatives ranked from less to more powerful:

Ninja 250r
Ninja 300r
Honda CB500F / Honda CB500R
Honda CB1
Monster 620
Monster 696
Suzuki SV 650
Yamaha MT-07
Yamaha Fazer 600
Yamaha FZ6
Honda CB600F (Hornet)

Personally I've always been a big fan of the Ducati Monster as a starter bike (if you've had a good amount of lessons, not when you've gotten your license after an hour on a parking lot somewhere). Its combination of low weight, a good seating position, excellent handling, a decent amount of power and dashing good looks make it pretty much the perfect bike. I've owned a 2005 620i.e. Monster (the bike I started on) and a Monster 1100 (which is the bike I have right now). Funny thing is, they both weigh the same, despite the difference in displacement. <3

Dougald

There really is a lack of decent "starter" cruisers for the crowd that are only really interested in that kind of bike... unless you're in Europe, then there are a few cruiser-ish 125cc learner bikes out there.

I wonder if the new crazy A1/A2/whatever power classifications in Europe will see a bunch of smaller-cc cruisers built, like we have seen with bikes like the CBR250 & 500 coming in to fill that gap for people on restricted licenses.

Yeah, but the trouble with cruisers lies in the nature of what a cruiser should be in the minds of many:

Big, heavy, lots of displacement, lots of character and - American.

No disrespect to anyone who might own one of these, but this - sadly - has none of the above and any starter variant manufacturers are likely to come up with it, probably won't have it either. In that sense my feeling has always been, if you want to ride a cruiser, learn to ride on something sensible that will teach you the basics (Kawasaki ER5/6) and buy a cruiser when you can afford (?) the genuine article and know enough about bikes to be able to anticipate the quirks of riding such a big and unwieldy machine.

There are a few (cruiser type) bikes that get around the problem of not being American by doing their own thing (instead of just making a Harley that doesn't sound quite like it should). They are the Yamaha Vmax (both the old and new types), the Triumph Rocket and the Ducati Diavel. As an added bonus they probably also handle a lot better. (However, they are not starter bikes by any means. Though a used old Vmax might not be that expensive, it's stupid quick and plenty heavy.)

Dougald

The few 700-800cc cruisers are not so bad.. but you are right on the really small ones. The other problem is the 125 "cruisers" are usually underpowered even for a 125 bike.

The best compromise is to get something like a W800, Guzzi V7, or Triumph Bonneville... but I may be a little biased on the Bonneville!

True, the classic British naked/cruiser hybrid (and the other two you mentioned) might indeed be the best option here. Never rode a Bonneville, but I suspect it has good handling and manageable power. Great looks too.

Dougald

Handles well and the power is very forgiving, no big power band... of course it still has the problem of weighing half a ton!

Dougald

Dougald, saw this and had to post it... was funny

http://youtu.be/RsKFsce5phw

Hahaha, brilliant. He is spot on with all those criticisms I'm afraid. Except complaining about the EFI... anyone who has owned the carb'd version would never complain about the EFI. Takes about 2 years to warm up. The suspension on the T100 and older Bonnies without the mag wheels doesn't feel too bad in my experience, it's just the Mag wheeled bike that's truly bone-shattering. But then the spokes all break anyway!

Still an awesome bike, and I'd get a Scrambler in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. But god, those brakes are dangerously shit.

daw840

I can't recommend my wife's V-Star 650 custom enough. It's perfect for a beginner. Sits very low, is very light, has plenty of power, and is oddly flickable for a cruiser. Her's is a 2009 and you can find them all over for around 3 grand around that same year.

Whoa, thanks for all the input guys! I didn't know that about cruisers at all.

As for engine, I can get anything over 150cc with the license I'm going for.

Budget-wise, anything below $10k, but I'm not sure what my target should be..I don't know what a good deal is for a used bike tbh.

But looking at some of the recommendations they seem to be well under that new, so I guess I'm good in the department.

Edit: I dig that star! ^

^ You're welcome. And that budget will give you ample room to pick something suitable. It's going to be a lot of fun. Be sure to keep us updated throughout the process :p.

My dad actually developed the accessories for the Dragstar line back when worked for Yamaha. I still have a pretty rare zippo lying around that has the Royal Star logo on it.

Dougald

One day I'll get a cruiser. But it's probably gonna have to be a Rocket III... because anything under 2000cc isn't trying hard enough...!

I'd say it would be my retirement bike but I've already decided that when I turn 60 I'm buying a flying armchair Goldwing. My aim is try and have owned one of every "class" of bike.. already had a classic, a Tourer, a commuter and now a Streetfighter.. I'm on my way!

My aim is try and have owned one of every "class" of bike.. already had a classic, a Tourer, a commuter and now a Streetfighter.. I'm on my way!

Didn't you have a fazer for a while? Could you give your brief opinion of the bike; similar to how to you summed up your Bonneville experience? Thanks

There really is a lack of decent "starter" cruisers for the crowd that are only really interested in that kind of bike... unless you're in Europe, then there are a few cruiser-ish 125cc learner bikes out there.

I wonder if the new crazy A1/A2/whatever power classifications in Europe will see a bunch of smaller-cc cruisers built, like we have seen with bikes like the CBR250 & 500 coming in to fill that gap for people on restricted licenses.

honda ctx700 is 500ish pounds, but a sick low center of gravity makes it feel as light as a bv350 or mid-size maxi-scoot. a noob should be okay on it. handles fookin' amazing.

iamblades

Whoa, thanks for all the input guys! I didn't know that about cruisers at all.

As for engine, I can get anything over 150cc with the license I'm going for.

Budget-wise, anything below $10k, but I'm not sure what my target should be..I don't know what a good deal is for a used bike tbh.

But looking at some of the recommendations they seem to be well under that new, so I guess I'm good in the department.

Edit: I dig that star! ^

As far as entry level cruisers, the Star V-Star line are the only ones I've ever thought really worked.

All the american stuff is too big and powerful to be entry level, and the honda rebels don't really feel like cruisers because of the single cylinder engines. The 250 V-star however, looks and feels and even sounds(with aftermarket exhaust anyway) like a proper cruiser, while being super light and easy to handle.

The 650 V-star at just under $7k seems like a good deal, but it is heavy for a beginner IMO.

I've never really felt the cruiser ergos to be a comfortable riding position though, so I'd never suggest a cruiser as a first bike in general. Among the cruiser brands, Star seems to have the most appealing options for a beginner though.

As far as entry level cruisers, the Star V-Star line are the only ones I've ever thought really worked.

All the american stuff is too big and powerful to be entry level, and the honda rebels don't really feel like cruisers because of the single cylinder engines. The 250 V-star however, looks and feels and even sounds(with aftermarket exhaust anyway) like a proper cruiser, while being super light and easy to handle.

The 650 V-star at just under $7k seems like a good deal, but it is heavy for a beginner IMO.

I've never really felt the cruiser ergos to be a comfortable riding position though, so I'd never suggest a cruiser as a first bike in general. Among the cruiser brands, Star seems to have the most appealing options for a beginner though.

I am on my first bike still, have been riding for just over 2 years, and it is a Honda VT600CD. It has been a super reliable bike, though I did lay it down last week for the first time. Luckily there wasn't any major damage to me or the bike.

Dougald

Didn't you have a fazer for a while? Could you give your brief opinion of the bike; similar to how to you summed up your Bonneville experience? Thanks

Yeah, I had a 2003 FZS600 Fazer for a year, only sold due to wanting to get shot of both my bikes for the Street3. Up to 2003 the Fazer had a nice little 600cc engine from the Thundercat, but emissions regulations forced Yamaha to ditch that after 2003 and go with a much less fun fuel injected model. All the bikes prior to that are basically the same, but the 2002-2003 models ditched the square headlights, so those are the ones to have IMO.

The Bad:
- Rust, rust, RUST! The downpipes are painted with the worlds thinnest coat of black paint and it WILL chip off unless the bike is never ridden or its resprayed. The later models have stainless downpipes instead of mild steel, but the welds are still not stainless, so that's the thing to check. If you look at my posts in this thread about a year ago you'll see I stripped mine down and repainted them. Stainless aftermarket pipes are available and you'll see a lot of the older bikes with them fitted instead of the black OEM pipes.
- The engine runs very weak and needs warming up on the choke for a while. Can be helped immensely by switching out the air filter for a K&N washable unit, but you're still gonna need the choke.

The Good:
- Pretty much everything else!
- Bike is nice and easy to ride up to about 6000RPM... everything over that up to the red line is very fun thanks to that old carb'd engine. No problems at highway speeds here...
- The front brakes are awesome, as this is a parts bin bike, Yamaha just used the system from the R6, so it stops really well.
- Decent fuel economy, the tank is not huge but I still got ~200miles between fill-ups. Plus it actually has a fuel gauge.
- Bike is a doddle to work on

Overall it's pretty great. I think it's quite nice looking, but it's not going to turn any heads, but it'll commute, go reasonably fast in a straight line, corners really well, and stops well too. It's pretty quiet at idle with the stock pipes, but has a really great sound to it when you're getting a move on.

Bonus Pic:

Yeah, I had a 2003 FZS600 Fazer for a year, only sold due to wanting to get shot of both my bikes for the Street3. Up to 2003 the Fazer had a nice little 600cc engine from the Thundercat, but emissions regulations forced Yamaha to ditch that after 2003 and go with a much less fun fuel injected model. All the bikes prior to that are basically the same, but the 2002-2003 models ditched the square headlights, so those are the ones to have IMO.

The Bad:
- Rust, rust, RUST! The downpipes are painted with the worlds thinnest coat of black paint and it WILL chip off unless the bike is never ridden or its resprayed. The later models have stainless downpipes instead of mild steel, but the welds are still not stainless, so that's the thing to check. If you look at my posts in this thread about a year ago you'll see I stripped mine down and repainted them. Stainless aftermarket pipes are available and you'll see a lot of the older bikes with them fitted instead of the black OEM pipes.
- The engine runs very weak and needs warming up on the choke for a while. Can be helped immensely by switching out the air filter for a K&N washable unit, but you're still gonna need the choke.

The Good:
- Pretty much everything else!
- Bike is nice and easy to ride up to about 6000RPM... everything over that up to the red line is very fun thanks to that old carb'd engine. No problems at highway speeds here...
- The front brakes are awesome, as this is a parts bin bike, Yamaha just used the system from the R6, so it stops really well.
- Decent fuel economy, the tank is not huge but I still got ~200miles between fill-ups. Plus it actually has a fuel gauge.
- Bike is a doddle to work on

Overall it's pretty great. I think it's quite nice looking, but it's not going to turn any heads, but it'll commute, go reasonably fast in a straight line, corners really well, and stops well too. It's pretty quiet at idle with the stock pipes, but has a really great sound to it when you're getting a move on.

Bonus Pic:

Thanks a ton for the summary. As for the rust, luckily I dont think that will be a huge issue for me in Arizona ( no rain or snow EVER ) . And, the fz6 I am looking at is a 2004 so fuel injected means I wont have to worry about warming up, right? I am taking a look at it this week but the deal is so cheap I just know I am going to have a hard time saying no. Now, if there was only a way to buy the fz6n headlight in the states the bike would be perfect.

Dougald

Yep the only problem with the 2004 is the fuel injected engine just isn't as much fun, apparently. But test it out and see what you think, iirc the rest of the bike is pretty similar and mine was great fun.

Oh yeah, if you get it... get crash bungs and/or bar ends fitted. If the FZ6 is anything like the FZS600, it'll roll off the sidestand if you forget to turn the bars and leave it on an incline.. or maybe that was just my bad luck! At least I caught it as it was going..

Yep the only problem with the 2004 is the fuel injected engine just isn't as much fun, apparently. But test it out and see what you think, iirc the rest of the bike is pretty similar and mine was great fun.

Oh yeah, if you get it... get crash bungs and/or bar ends fitted. If the FZ6 is anything like the FZS600, it'll roll off the sidestand if you forget to turn the bars and leave it on an incline.. or maybe that was just my bad luck! At least I caught it as it was going..

Hahah good advice, I will def keep that in mind.

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to resist that either. The FZ1 has a nice and beefy look going for it as well.

/edit:

- this wasn't your first bike, right? If so, the R1 engine (even though it's detuned) might be a bit of a handful.
- I think the first generation has a carb as well. I used to have a YZF750 that used a lot of fuel because the seating of the (carb) needles (or whatever the hell they're called) was worn out. I would look around some FZ6/1 user forums whether those bikes have a tendency for that as well and then check whether the one you're buying doesn't suffer from such issues. (though a quick look around seems to indicate it's not a common problem).

Dougald

If I were going for one of the fuel-injected bikes, I'd probably get the FZ1 as well

Try 'em out, see what you think. The FZ6 being "worse" than the FZS600 is likely subjective anyway, it's not like you're going from one to the other.

To be honest, I wouldn't be able to resist that either. The FZ1 has a nice and beefy look going for it as well.

/edit:

- this wasn't your first bike, right? If so, the R1 engine (even though it's detuned) might be a bit of a handful.

I agree on the look, the fz1 look so nice. Additionally the fz1n headlight kit can be had quite easily, whereas the fz6n headlight conversion requires a great deal of work. hmm wonder what the insurance difference is..

-as for the bolded: no it would not be my first bike, but it would be my first fast bike so that was a real concern of mine. The bike i just sold was a bmw f650gs, but to be fair, the reason I sold it was because it was way too slow on the highways out here.

/edit: Alright, in that case I don't see any problems. First time out is going to be fun though, hehe.

I've always liked the fairing on Fazers a lot actually. Save your money (from a conversion) for a nice exhaust would be my advice :D.

If I were going for one of the fuel-injected bikes, I'd probably get the FZ1 as well

Try 'em out, see what you think. The FZ6 being "worse" than the FZS600 is likely subjective anyway, it's not like you're going from one to the other.
- going to check out the fz1 today, the guy selling it is only a mile or from my house; which works out perfectly.

I've always liked the fairing on Fazers a lot actually. Save your money (from a conversion) for a nice exhaust would be my advice :D.

the bike already has a yosh exhaust and I simply love this look.

Friend of mine had an FZ6, had lots of good things to say about it. Not sure how people like the FZ6R though... pretty amazing how much faster the original is (~20 extra hp).

Top Bottom