• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

One of these? http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Car/Modules/M148A-Battery-guard-12-V-DC.php

I'd prefer not to, I paid for a brand new bike. I suppose I could if the situation becomes dire.

Sorry, I picked the wrong word there. I meant a battery trickle charger like these: http://motorcycle-battery-charger-review.toptenreviews.com/

Enormous hassle to keep hooked up to your bike of you don't own a garage for your bike, but they work exactly as advertised. And regardless of how old your bike is, if you don't use it for a while and it's out in the open without any protection from rain/cold, the battery is going to suffer a bit. It's entirely likely that your issues are indeed out of the ordinary, so I'd have them replace your battery under warranty just to be sure. But a trickle charger + some protection from the elements will go a long way towards extending the life of those little bike batteries.

Dougald

Battery was also a concern, last week it seemed to have died completely, it wouldn't start, and none of the indicators turned on. Eventually, after I left it running for about 10mins everything was ok.

Bike is fine once it's running. I don't have a multimeter.

I was thinking of waiting a few days and if the issue persists go to the dealer. I just don't want to get stuck at work with a problematic bike.

Sounds like the alternator is charging the bike at least so that's good. If it continues to down while off most likely either there's a short somewhere draining the battery, or the battery itself is duff.

Get a multimeter and get cracking, or drop it to a shop, especially if it is still under warranty. If it's used the battery might well just be duff, but that has happened within 6 months on every bike I've owned, so maybe I'm a bit biased there. I leave all my bikes on an optimate battery tender while they're at home, they work great.

Maybe consider running a shot of fuel system or carb cleaner through with the next tank of petrol too. Silkolene pro FST is what I used with my carb Bonneville when it had starting trouble

Been a while 2-wheel GAF. I find myself looking to move from street to cruiser because I want to just mosey and have a more comfortable ride. Currently looking at a HD Switchback given its versatility. Anyone have opinions of this bike?

MutFox

Banned
So for my Motorcycle License,
I've now passed 2 of the 3 tests...

For my road test I'm thinking of getting a used dual sport.
Will later just use it for some trails and camping.

As for my 1st actual bike...
I'm sorta between a Star Bolt and a Ninja 300...

MutFox

Banned
Yeah, I'll def take each out for a spin.

Sorta leaning towards the 300 due to being light,
and it seems it wouldn't be as tiring if stuck in traffic.
(It'll be a commuter bike)

Though you guys are the experts...
I'm definitely green when it comes to motorbikes. :p

Its going to fall to preference really. Do you like an aggressive riding position or a relaxed one? Do you want to be able to have both feet on the ground? Are you doing mostly surface street commutes or will you need that top end for the freeway.

Dougald

So for my Motorcycle License,
I've now passed 2 of the 3 tests...

For my road test I'm thinking of getting a used dual sport.
Will later just use it for some trails and camping.

As for my 1st actual bike...
I'm sorta between a Star Bolt and a Ninja 300...

They're both very very different rides. I suggest of course testing them both, but maybe try a bunch of other bikes while you're at it, you never know, you might settle on something else entirely..

For a commuter I wouldn't get the cruiser unless you live somewhere where you're not allowed to filter. If you're not able to filter then just get whatever you like.

Jackson

Yeah, I'll def take each out for a spin.

Sorta leaning towards the 300 due to being light,
and it seems it wouldn't be as tiring if stuck in traffic.
(It'll be a commuter bike)

Though you guys are the experts...
I'm definitely green when it comes to motorbikes. :p

I have a 300 and I think it was a great investment as a starter bike because it built confidence quickly. It's not a very refined bike and it's scary on the highways because it becomes nervous at high speeds/wind... I mean, you just get used to it, but as a new rider I was like "This suuuuuuuux!" These days it's ok, but it's just not solid at speed and it's slow to get from 50-80. It's not effortless like other bigger bikes at all. It's very light and so its nimble, but still doesn't have the parts bigger bikes have that inspire confidence on curves.

I test drove a '15 Ninja 636 today and wow what a great bike! I was like this is the perfect starter bike because you can grow into it. It's solid at highway speeds and its smooth as silk in power delivery. The 300's 1st gear is awful... so short and the clutch lever needs to be let out to like 90%+ to engage the engine. To be honest it's just a cheap bike. But... I'm not sure I could have bought the 636 day 1 because I was nervous and uncomfortable riding on the streets with cars, riding on the highway at high speed, shifting up hills on stoplights. So I think the 300 was still probably the right choice as its mad forgiving. You can go to full throttle and not go fast or far, while 636 would be dangerous to let it rip as a complete beginner. I liked the 300, but I really feel like I've outgrown it for sure.

Jackson

That 636 is a damn nice looking bike... but damn, £9k GBP? Bikes are so expensive now...

I drove a LOT of bikes today... lol basically turned a long lunch into a half day off :p

Test drove

'15 Ninja 636 (Amazingly smooth and simple to drive. Lots of power, but not too much. Easy to handle, controls all make sense (seriously great button layout...) Great at highway speeds, very comfortable riding position. Seriously... its an amazingly solid bike and that's why I don't want it... haha It has no soul!)
'14 Daytona 675R (Super amazing! if I had to choose between this and the 636 I'd buy this... it's beautiful to look at. Feels more sporty than the 636. The stiffer suspension of the R didn't bother me at all on the road at all, it's nimble, fast and fun, but not scary at all. Also pretty comfortable and a good riding position though I felt 636 was better.)
'14 MV Augusta F3 800 (Scary... demands respect. Launching it from a stoplight is hard to control. Micro flicks of the wrist send it screaming toward hell lol. The bike seems to be angry at low speeds... it feels like if its not going 80mph+ it's going to die... lol the low end torque is literally too much... Its very different than the 3 cylinder 675R... If the 800 feels like this how can anyone drive the 1000?!)
'14 Bonneville Thruxton (Fun... beautiful cafe racer.... can cruise around on it all day but not my kinda bike though)
'14 S1000RR (It's too much... seemed more tame than the HP4, but you can feel it being just too much and I didn't even drive it on race mode! I wish they did a middleweight BMW, but they don't.)

TBH my heart still belongs to the '14 899 Panigale (It's hotter on my ass more than all of those bikes combined... legitimately freaking hot haha... the riding position, while comfortable isn't as comfortable as some of the others I listed... the stock exhaust is loud as heck, and it's got more HP than any of those other bikes (except the BMW)... but I never felt out of control with it. It's built to be a streetable 1199... It has great electronics and i feel like I'd have this bike for years and years to come. I love it... LOOOOOVE it.... there's so much passion to it... it's a work of art. It's a head turner... It's gorgeous... I dunno.... I might have to buy it o_O

091213-2014-ducati-899-panigale.jpg

I still got to test a CBR600RR and Aprilia RSV4 (but probably going to dislike the litre power like S1000RR)

I have a 300 and I think it was a great investment as a starter bike because it built confidence quickly. It's not a very refined bike and it's scary on the highways because it becomes nervous at high speeds/wind... I mean, you just get used to it, but as a new rider I was like "This suuuuuuuux!" These days it's ok, but it's just not solid at speed and it's slow to get from 50-80. It's not effortless like other bigger bikes at all. It's very light and so its nimble, but still doesn't have the parts bigger bikes have that inspire confidence on curves.

I test drove a '15 Ninja 636 today and wow what a great bike! I was like this is the perfect starter bike because you can grow into it. It's solid at highway speeds and its smooth as silk in power delivery. The 300's 1st gear is awful... so short and the clutch lever is needs to be let out to like 90%+ to engage the engine. To be honest it's just a cheap bike. But... I'm not sure I could have bought the 636 day 1 because I was nervous and uncomfortable riding on the streets with cars, riding on the highway at high speed, shifting up hills on stoplights. So I think the 300 was still probably the right choice as its mad forgiving. You can go to full throttle and not go fast or far, while 636 would be dangerous to let it rip as a complete beginner. I liked the 300, but I really feel like I've outgrown it for sure.

I must've said this a thousand times :D, but there is a reasonable middle ground there in the form of the ER6's (Ninja 650s), CBR500s, Monster 696s, etc. They offer all of the stability and proper equipment that you would expect from a 'real bike', but their 48-69hp ranges are a lot less likely to cause a problem for novice riders.

The bolded parts are why I always suggest that one step 'bigger' may actually be safer (if the budget allows it).

/edit: Anyway, want my advice? If that 899 isn't going get you up to your neck in debt, buy it. In my opinion, a bike's most important job is to make you happy, if the 899 is the bike that best achieves that (because of its character or how it makes you feel), that's likely the bike for you (though see if you can get a great deal on one that's been sitting in a showroom for a while now, it'll save you so much fucking money).

Jackson

I must've said this a thousand times :D, but there is a reasonable middle ground there in the form of the ER6's (Ninja 650s), CBR500s, Monster 696s, etc. They offer all of the stability and proper equipment that you would expect from a 'real bike', but their 48-69hp ranges are a lot less likely to cause a problem for novice riders.

The bolded parts are why I always suggest that one step 'bigger' may actually be safer (if the budget allows it).

Yeah... I had plenty of people try to talk me into getting something bigger, but as a completely new rider I was concerned about too much power. I had no confidence. I gained confidence super quick, sure... but those first few hours and days and weeks are crucial... I didn't even drive my 300 home when I bought it, had a friend do it because I wanted some parking lot practice first. Just no confidence early on ya know...?

Yeah... I had plenty of people try to talk me into getting something bigger, but as a completely new rider I was concerned about too much power. I had no confidence. I gained confidence super quick, sure... but those first few hours and days and weeks are crucial... I didn't even drive my 300 home when I bought it, had a friend do it because I wanted some parking lot practice first. Just no confidence early on ya know...?

Yeah definitely. And in that case there's no doubt it was the right choice.

Dougald

It sounds like you had fun!

It also sounds like you're asking us to talk you into buying the Paningale, so...... buy the Paningale! You're only going to wish you'd bought the Ducati otherwise

Jackson

/edit: Anyway, want my advice? If that 899 isn't going get you up to your neck in debt, buy it. In my opinion, a bike's most important job is to make you happy, if the 899 is the bike that best achieves that (because of its character or how it makes you feel), that's likely the bike for you (though see if you can get a great deal on one that's been sitting in a showroom for a while now, it'll save you so much fucking money).

Yeah, I can afford it. This is just a weekend thing for me, not a daily commuter. It's about passion and excitement.The 899 just totally does it for me... I mean I know rationally there's smarter choices, but I keep thinking of owning it and then get all giddy lol. The 675R which is darn beautiful and way more practical (comparatively) seems like a compromise to do the "sensible" thing when I think about it. Though.... I'm probably getting into a world of hurt on maintenance costs with a Duc eh? :(

It sounds like you had fun!

It also sounds like you're asking us to talk you into buying the Paningale, so...... buy the Paningale! You're only going to wish you'd bought the Ducati otherwise

Was a great day! Sun was out, 78 degrees. All the dealer guys were super nice and talkative. Got to ride all kinds of bikes for like 45 mins a pop on twistes, normal roads and highways... So fun!

Haha... yeah... pretty much I guess I am saying the 899 is it eh? :p

Yeah definitely. And in that case there's no doubt it was the right choice.

Yeah I wish I could have rented the 300 or borrowed it for like a month (didn't know anyone who had a 250/300) then buy a 636 or something. hehe

Dougald

If you buy a Paningale I will also hate you because I can't afford one

I never got the impression that Ducatis were particularly *expensive* to maintain, just that it was much, much more important to keep to the service schedule than other bikes. But Fallout probably has more perspective on that

Manp

the 899 is gorgeous, if you're looking for someone to talk you out of buying it that won't be me :)

seriously, do it!

:)

Yeah the whole Ducati expensive maintenance thing seems to me more myth than anything else. They've worked really hard to get their intervals in line with the other brands. I've owned my Monster 1100 for 4 years now and took it to the dealer for its 12.000km service earlier this year. They did pretty much everything (belts, valve-check, oil filter, air filter, oil change, brake fluid, etc etc -> big service) that was 680 euros if I remember correctly (which is exactly the same as what Scotch paid for servicing his CB1 recently and what my ex girlfriend paid for similar work on her old Yamaha FZR600). (So that's 680 euros for the first time in 4 years).

The 899 (being water-cooled) might be a bit more expensive with marginally shorter intervals (though you should ask the dealer what the intervals are), but it's definitely not going to be worse than any other high performance bike.

However, I do think what Dougald says is correct: I would not skip or delay a service for extended periods with any vehicle I cherish, but it is especially important with a 4 valve per cylinder Ducati.

You should get one in red.

Dougald

On new, I don't think it matters. You bought a new bike so of course you're going to stick to the service schedule. I wouldn't touch a used Ducati without a full service history though, whereas on say a Honda, I'd be more inclined to buy.

I'm no mechanic/engineer, but that's likely to do with the desmodromic valve system on Ducati's. It allows for higher rpms than conventional valve-train setups (or at least, it used to), but it is more mechanically complex so regular maintenance is important to keep it running right.

Dougald

Ducatis have cam belts that need changing every 2 years as well, right? Not particularly expensive.. unless you don't do it.

Dougald

I was trying to come up with a Ewan McGregor pun there but the best I could come up with was the controls on that BMW being a long way down for a giraffe

....I'll show myself out.

I still think it's nuts to move up from a 300 to a 148hp 899 after only 1500 miles experience but I'll shut up about that now.

A little crazy, yes, but still infinitely better than buying one with no experience at all.

(and I've seen mention of that happening on a local dealer's facebook page. Some guy who didn't even have his license yet bought a brand new 1199 from them. You know, I understand the dealer wanting to make a sale, but it's not something I would then publicly brag about.)

On that subject, what was your guys biggest leap in terms of power on a bike?

68 to 130 hp

From my old monster 620 to the 998 superbike. It felt like a pretty insane jump (and came back to a very comfortable 100hp only a year later. The perfect amount in my opinion.)

Damaged

I drove a LOT of bikes today... lol basically turned a long lunch into a half day off :p

Test drove

'15 Ninja 636 (Amazingly smooth and simple to drive. Lots of power, but not too much. Easy to handle, controls all make sense (seriously great button layout...) Great at highway speeds, very comfortable riding position. Seriously... its an amazingly solid bike and that's why I don't want it... haha It has no soul!)
'14 Daytona 675R (Super amazing! if I had to choose between this and the 636 I'd buy this... it's beautiful to look at. Feels more sporty than the 636. The stiffer suspension of the R didn't bother me at all on the road at all, it's nimble, fast and fun, but not scary at all. Also pretty comfortable and a good riding position though I felt 636 was better.)
'14 MV Augusta F3 800 (Scary... demands respect. Launching it from a stoplight is hard to control. Micro flicks of the wrist send it screaming toward hell lol. The bike seems to be angry at low speeds... it feels like if its not going 80mph+ it's going to die... lol the low end torque is literally too much... Its very different than the 3 cylinder 675R... If the 800 feels like this how can anyone drive the 1000?!)
'14 Bonneville Thruxton (Fun... beautiful cafe racer.... can cruise around on it all day but not my kinda bike though)
'14 S1000RR (It's too much... seemed more tame than the HP4, but you can feel it being just too much and I didn't even drive it on race mode! I wish they did a middleweight BMW, but they don't.)

TBH my heart still belongs to the '14 899 Panigale (It's hotter on my ass more than all of those bikes combined... legitimately freaking hot haha... the riding position, while comfortable isn't as comfortable as some of the others I listed... the stock exhaust is loud as heck, and it's got more HP than any of those other bikes (except the BMW)... but I never felt out of control with it. It's built to be a streetable 1199... It has great electronics and i feel like I'd have this bike for years and years to come. I love it... LOOOOOVE it.... there's so much passion to it... it's a work of art. It's a head turner... It's gorgeous... I dunno.... I might have to buy it o_O

091213-2014-ducati-899-panigale.jpg

I still got to test a CBR600RR and Aprilia RSV4 (but probably going to dislike the litre power like S1000RR)

Okay thats the sort of day off I could do with, I have only ridden the RSV4 from the bikes mentioned and to me it just felt like waaaaay too much bike on the road. Immense amounts of fun but really I could ride faster on my 750 Dorsoduro on the street, get it on a track however and I can only imagine how much fun it would be.

On that subject, what was your guys biggest leap in terms of power on a bike?

In terms of owning the bikes 64 to 92 but ridden on the same day, 92 to 177

MutFox

Banned
Its going to fall to preference really. Do you like an aggressive riding position or a relaxed one? Do you want to be able to have both feet on the ground? Are you doing mostly surface street commutes or will you need that top end for the freeway.
They're both very very different rides. I suggest of course testing them both, but maybe try a bunch of other bikes while you're at it, you never know, you might settle on something else entirely..

For a commuter I wouldn't get the cruiser unless you live somewhere where you're not allowed to filter. If you're not able to filter then just get whatever you like.

I test drove a '15 Ninja 636 today and wow what a great bike! I was like this is the perfect starter bike because you can grow into it. It's solid at highway speeds and its smooth as silk in power delivery. The 300's 1st gear is awful... so short and the clutch lever needs to be let out to like 90%+ to engage the engine. To be honest it's just a cheap bike. But... I'm not sure I could have bought the 636 day 1 because I was nervous and uncomfortable riding on the streets with cars, riding on the highway at high speed, shifting up hills on stoplights. So I think the 300 was still probably the right choice as its mad forgiving. You can go to full throttle and not go fast or far, while 636 would be dangerous to let it rip as a complete beginner. I liked the 300, but I really feel like I've outgrown it for sure.

Hmmm...

Maybe I will look for something a bit more powerful then...
Not interested in the higher CC Ninja's.
Reason for the 300 was the seating and foot pegs are more standard bike like...
Maybe I'll look at some higher CC Standard type bikes,
and of course I'll leave the Star Bolt in the mix. ;P

I tried a bunch of different bikes while at the riding school.
Really liked the positioning of the standard types bikes...
Highest CC I used was 500CC, felt safer for some maneuvers.

Thanks dudes!

How much you all pay to have someone change your tires if you ride your bike in?

Guy tried to tell my buddy 75 per tire unless he orders them through him. Then it is only 50.

Both seem pretty steep.

Watevaman

How much you all pay to have someone change your tires if you ride your bike in?

Guy tried to tell my buddy 75 per tire unless he orders them through him. Then it is only 50.

Both seem pretty steep.

If you can look around for smaller motorcycle shops, you can probably find another better deal. I know the dealers around here are pretty steep. I have a guy that I know do mine and he does it for $20 for both, but he's a friend of my cousin. There is a small shop that does it for around $20 a wheel off the bike as well, so just try and find one of those.

Both seem pretty steep.

Just got new tires yesterday , was 80 to have both replaced ( not including tire price obviously ) .

Put S1000RR in rain mode. Problem solved. I never felt like it was too much, but I guess I've only ridden in at the track...I guess my only gripe was the quick shifter didn't like to work when bouncing off rev limiter :p

Any recommended brand of tires for an FZ8? Everyday rider so longevity is important. My buddy doesn't need high performance. Looking middle of the road price range.

Any brands that are your guys' go to or any to stay away from? Currently liking the style of Pirelli Diablos. Other brands we have heard good things about Michelin, Avon and Dunlop.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. This is the first time either of us have bought tires.

Any recommended brand of tires for an FZ8? Everyday rider so longevity is important. My buddy doesn't need high performance. Looking middle of the road price range.

Any brands that are your guys' go to or any to stay away from? Currently liking the style of Pirelli Diablos. Other brands we have heard good things about Michelin, Avon and Dunlop.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. This is the first time either of us have bought tires.

I put Dunlop Q3's on my FZ6. They are awesome.

Jackson

So... This happened today. :D

kGnO3YT.jpg

What sold me was "wet mode" takes down the HP to 100, so I can scale up over time.

My buddy who bought a '14 CBR500R when I bought my 300... bought this bad boy today '14 F3 800 (which scared me lol) when I bought my 899.
mH3asEY.jpg

Dat single side swing arm triple pipe combo tho...

Dougald

Both seem pretty steep.

Round here places will fit/balance for a tenner a wheel if you just bring them the wheel and new tyre. Extra if they have to take the wheel off the bike

edit^ That was quick, congrats! Just go easy and I'm sure you'll have years of fun..

Damaged

I'm a big fan of the Dunlop Roadsmarts, dual compound so you still get the sticky sides but also get a decent amount of mileage from the centre. I do allot of motorway mileage and these are the best I have found that won't square off too quickly and also give plenty of grip in the corners when I want to play, also pretty good feel in the wet with them.

Scotch

I assume you mean the Pirelli Diablo Strada? Because the Diablo Rossos are sport tires and not made for longevity.

My buddies and I really like Michelin, so Pilot Road 3/4 would be my choice. You could also look into Bridgestone, I heard good things when researching tires.

What sold me was "wet mode" takes down the HP to 100, so I can scale up over time.

My buddy who bought a '14 CBR500R when I bought my 300... bought this bad boy today '14 F3 800 (which scared me lol) when I bought my 899.

Dat single side swing arm triple pipe combo tho...

Congratulations! Two incredibly gorgious bikes. Setting it to wet mode for a while is probably a good idea. Stay safe!

http://i.imgur.com/kGnO3YT.jpg

Damn, that is painfully good looking. Congratulations man!

/edit: Oh and tell me something, seeing as how that 899 is a brand new, modern bike. What does it have in the way of communicating whether the engine is up to proper operating temperature?

I've had Metzeler, Dunlop, Bridgestone and Pirelli tires, all in either the sport/tour or sport segments and all of them pretty great tires, but after trying the Michelin Pilot Power tire recently I don't think I'm ever changing back. The amount of feedback and grip is pretty incredible.

I assume you mean the Pirelli Diablo Strada? Because the Diablo Rossos are sport tires and not made for longevity.

They've made some changes to that lineup I think. There's the Diablo Rosso II, advertised as 'a sport tire for road use', though it doesn't feel as sticky as the -> Diablo Rosso Corsa (still suitable for road use, but a little bit more sticky and less tread than the Rosso II) and the Diablo Supercorsa (more of a track oriented tire).

I had the Rosso Corsa's on my Monster 1100 and while they performed as well as you would expect (and decent mileage, over 8.500 km I think) I still think I'm switching to Michelin for the Monster when the time comes.

So I took my bike out to some dual carriage ways and A roads around London. Holy shit a 125cc bike is so slow. I've felt like I had plenty of power while I was travelling through the city but on bigger roads the thing is scarily slow.

Also being wobbled about by the wind is fun but scary. It's been two weeks and I feel like I need a bigger bike.

If there are any other noobs in this thread I'd probably not recommend starting on a 125, I was worried about my ability on the bike but it only took a week to get me proficient enough not to be a hazard on the roads, only stalled twice but got started quickly.

Dougald

So I took my bike out to some dual carriage ways and A roads around London. Holy shit a 125cc bike is so slow. I've felt like I had plenty of power while I was travelling through the city but on bigger roads the thing is scarily slow.

Also being wobbled about by the wind is fun but scary. It's been two weeks and I feel like I need a bigger bike.

If there are any other noobs in this thread I'd probably not recommend starting on a 125, I was worried about my ability on the bike but it only took a week to get me proficient enough not to be a hazard on the roads, only stalled twice but got started quickly.

Literally the only reason to go that small for anything outside a city centre is the licensing laws in the UK. My wife can't wait until she can dump her 125 after 2 months

Literally the only reason to go that small for anything outside a city centre is the licensing laws in the UK. My wife can't wait until she can dump her 125 after 2 months

It really is a bit much, I was fairly competent (i.e. throttle, clutch and all confidently under control) after maybe the first 3 hours on the bike. I'm contemplating going for the restricted licence and getting a Ninja 300 in maybe a year, insurance is too much without a no claims "bonus" otherwise I'd be looking to get it in under 6 months.

At least it's good to confirm that I do in fact love motorbikes, I'll be riding for a long time to come.

What is your wife looking to upgrade to?

Top Bottom