• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Jackson

So... Allstate (my now ex-auto insurance company) quoted me $3,500 per year for basic insurance on my 899 Panigale!!!!! That's literally more per month than the payments I make on my new bike! I was a bit worried that I've gotten in over my head haha...

So I searched the 899 forums and people said Allstate hates Super Bikes, but apparently loves Harley's so they give ridiculous rates on Super Bikes.

The good news is they were saying State Farm has great rates. So I called them up boy were they right!! I switched over to them and I'm paying $393 a year on it. It's actually LESS than the insurance I was paying for on my Ninja 300 which was $412 a year. It's nearly a 10x difference and haha. My wife woulda killed me if I doubled my monthly payments lol.

Reven

So... Allstate (my now ex-auto insurance company) quoted me $3,500 per year for basic insurance on my 899 Panigale!!!!! That's literally more per month than the payments I make on my new bike! I was a bit worried that I've gotten in over my head haha...

So I searched the 899 forums and people said Allstate hates Super Bikes, but apparently loves Harley's so they give ridiculous rates on Super Bikes.

The good news is they were saying State Farm has great rates. So I called them up boy were they right!! I switched over to them and I'm paying $393 a year on it. It's actually LESS than the insurance I was paying for on my Ninja 300 which was $412 a year. It's nearly a 10x difference and haha. My wife woulda killed me if I doubled my monthly payments lol.

State farm is awesome. I was super surprised how good my rates are with them.

iamblades

State farm doesn't do the standard 'jack up prices insanely high to punish risk factors that aren't actually risky' that so many other insurance companies do. They also don't jack your homeowner's insurance if you own a pit bull or other 'scary breed'.

Evo X

Yeah, I got quoted $5,500 per year from Allstate for the 899! Told them to fuck right off. For that much, I could just buy a new bike every year. lol

Called State Farm, and they said $850 to insure for the year. Still pretty high, but much lower than anybody else.

I was paying $2K a year to insure my 848 Evo with Foremost, but I was 23 when I bought it.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: Just saw the pics of the 899 and F3 800 2 pages back. Jesus Christ, what an incredibly sexy pair of bikes. You guys are really lucky. I'd love to have either (or both) in my garage right now.

You also picked the best color combo. :D Same as my 848 Evo.

XMYu4pY.jpg

Dougald

Ducatis really should be red.. but I think white is actually the secret best colour on every model but the Diavel. The white/red monster is awesome

Evo X

Ducatis really should be red.. but I think white is actually the secret best colour on every model but the Diavel. The white/red monster is awesome

That's exactly why I didn't want to go for red. It seems to be the default choice, which means it's much more common.

Diavel definitely looks best in black IMO.

Really torn as to what bike to pick up next though. I want something fun I can take out on the weekends or evenings in my free time. It doesn't need to be the fastest thing in the world. Just an exhilarating experience that can let me unwind from work.

I like the S1000RR, but it seems too crazy for me, especially as a street only bike.

So far, the choices are 899 Panigale, or Monster 1200S if I go Ducati. Daytona 675R or Street Triple R if I go Triumph.

Anybody have opinions on these or other suggestions?

EDIT: A little OT, but does GAF have a discussion thread like this for cars as well?

Heh, there's a reason why everbody picks red though :p.

Diavels, however, should be black. I agree.

Anyway, why are you looking for a next bike already? And if you are, why is the 899 on the list? Seems to me that isn't going to offer an experience that is substantially different from the seriously pretty bike you already own.

It doesn't need to be the fastest thing in the world. Just an exhilarating experience that can let me unwind from work.

If this is what you're after though.... Lets see. I think the Monster 1200s has just about the same amount of power as the 848 you've got (about 10hp more I think).

30 pounds heavier than the 848 however. And not half as good looking. I much prefer the look of the old 1100. But, if you're used to the higher revs of the 848, a new 1100 EVO that may be left standing around at a dealership somewhere, might not be your thing either. Still the amount of torque it has at least ticks the 'exhilarating' box. The press seems to be equally disappointed with the 1200S because of the weight, but they say one area where it may be seen as better is that it's less nervous of a bike and can be more lazily ridden.

And how about the R nine T? Generates 110nm of torque over the 1100 EVO's 105. And it has an interesting look going for it... Though this is one you should definitely try before considering. That particular engine (when I tried it on a friends 1200GS) was considerably less exhilarating than the one powering my own 1100. Though maybe they've fiddled with it some more before using it in the R nine T.

As for the Daytona 675... Isn't that one of the most popular track day bikes ever made? I'd probably either look elsewhere if 'unwinding' after work is a priority or just stick with your much better looking (and yes, better sounding) 848.

And I'm just going to sneak this one in there, because if I lived in the States I would be on my way right this fucking instant to buy it:

http://www.2040motos.com/Buell/Thunderbolt/1995-buell-s2-thunderbolt-motorcycle-low-miles-98339/

Can't believe they're selling these bikes for so little. There's only 1500 of them ever made, and I imagine there's even less left of them now. And with the original windscreen (which the owner has with the bike) that is one of the best looking motorcycles ever made.

And perfect for unwinding after work.

EDIT: A little OT, but does GAF have a discussion thread like this for cars as well?

Yup, GAF does:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783345

Dougald

In your list, I'd be of the opinion that you should either go for the Monster or the Street Triple, simply because you already have an awesome sportbike, and it's nice to have a total change (same reason as when I replace my Street Triple, I won't be getting a Monster).

Evo X

Thanks for the input. I love the torque of the 1200 Monster, but you're right, the weight is definitely noticeable when comparing it to the other bikes, so I think I'm gonna strike it. The Daytona also seems like too much of a track bike.

Regarding the BMW R nineT, I would love to ride one, but they are impossible to find around here. All inventory got sold out almost as soon as the damn thing was announced.

Reason I'm thinking about picking one of these up is I foolishly sold my 848 Evo because I got offered a really good price for it, and figured I didn't have much time to ride a motorcycle anyway, especially with how cold the weather gets here in Chicago half the year.

Now I miss all the adventures I had on two wheels. It's such a calming activity for me. When I go riding, all I have to focus on is the ride itself. Everything else just fades away. It's also boatloads of fun. :D

I have really loved the Street Triple R every time I have hopped on one. A solid bike all around to hoon around town on. Engine pulls hard, handling & brakes are great, it's SO easy to ride, and the induction sound is absolutely intoxicating. I have a smile on my face whenever I ride one. It's also $5K less than the Ducati, and costs half as much to insure.

Gonna be honest, the only reason I am even considering the 899 is purely for superficial reasons. I think it just looks sexy as hell and would get far more attention.

This is the same dilemma I faced 2 years ago when I was shopping for a bike. I originally went into the dealership to buy the previous gen Street Triple, but they talked me into taking the 848 out for a test ride. Their plan worked and I took home the Ducati. Looking back, I don't regret it. I have so many amazing memories with the bike, but I think it might be time for something different now.

Jackson

Don't get a monster... Get this!

confederate-hellcat-x132-1280.jpg

I've always been in love with this naked bike... Confederate Hellcat. Yours today for only $6500

Shit, turns out he was going close to 100mph. Obviously his fault.

Yeah, no question about it. Anyone who's ridden for even a short time knows you can close an immense amount of distance in the blink of an eye at that speed. I've already had a number of instances where a second turn of the head before emerging on to a road saved me, and that was a regular city speeds of around 30mph.

Jackson

Fuck.

Watching that is making me reconsider picking up another motorcycle. I ride defensively with full gear, but to think I could still be killed in an instant because someone in their car is texting, putting on makeup, changing the radio, or otherwise distracted is pretty crazy.

Sure, but freak accidents can kill you regardless of you doing anything. There was a guy in my city who died because a construction crane wasn't bolted in properly and fell on his apt, where he put his couch while he was watching TV at night unwinding.

But you can mitigate accidents by not riding a 100MPH on a busy road with intersections and no divider. It's pretty reckless of him. The #1 cause of collisions with cars is left turns (or right for UK).

Defensive riding is key. My grandfather gave me the best advice when I was learning to drive a car, assume that everyone else on the road is an asshole.

Once I get that Triumph Tbird between my legs I'll be doing a lot of sitting and staring. One of the best saddles I've ever tried on a bike.

Dougald

Doesn't matter who was wrong in the eyes of the law, he's the one that's dead. You are ALWAYS going to come off worse in an accident with a car.

Don't be reckless, always assume the worst possible scenario and try to plan ahead to mitigate it. If I'm ever surprised by something another road user did I consider it my own fault for not noticing it was going to happen

Dougald

Finally got around to sorting out why my wifes bike dies when started and the engine is cold. I heard that the Chinese bikes come setup too lean to get around EU emissions regulations - sure enough, backing out the fuel mix a half-turn on the carb and it starts on the button now, though still very weak until it warms up (any more and it idles at over 3000rpm when warm). Don't know why I didn't try that before, I guess I was just lazy and assumed that "Chinese = shit = its meant to be like that"

It wouldn't be a problem, but the design of the choke is really weird, in that using it doesn't actually increase the engine RPMs at all, so it would die no matter what. I thought it was broken at first until I found out that it's based off the design of the old CB125 choke, which does the same thing. She just passed her theory test so hopefully by the end of the month it'll be gone anyway.

Finally got around to sorting out why my wifes bike dies when started and the engine is cold. I heard that the Chinese bikes come setup too lean to get around EU emissions regulations - sure enough, backing out the fuel mix a half-turn on the carb and it starts on the button now, though still very weak until it warms up (any more and it idles at over 3000rpm when warm). Don't know why I didn't try that before, I guess I was just lazy and assumed that "Chinese = shit = its meant to be like that"

It wouldn't be a problem, but the design of the choke is really weird, in that using it doesn't actually increase the engine RPMs at all, so it would die no matter what. I thought it was broken at first until I found out that it's based off the design of the old CB125 choke, which does the same thing. She just passed her theory test so hopefully by the end of the month it'll be gone anyway.

Great result... you would be able to open a shop soon hehe. Pass on the grats for getting past the theory.

Anyone here ever try to buy a custom build from a private seller? I've been eyeing a lot of really nice custom bobber builds on craigslist. I like the idea of owning a one of a kind. The risk of course is not really knowing the build quality of these things.

Dougald

Wahey, the bolt securing the chainguard rattled off my wife's bike this morning. Nothing like some impromptu bike surgery outside Heathrow airport at 8am.

Only a month to go until we get rid of that Chinese bucket.

Dougald

I always used to say "at least it hasn't lost a bolt on the road" and now it has

I've mended it now but they are just no good for people who hate working on bikes. For 3 months learning it's been ok but I can't see why anyone would want to depend on one to get around.

In the last month I've had to:
- adjust the carb
- bleed the brakes AGAIN because there was a huge air pocket in the line
- fix the chainguard
- tighten the exhaust nuts because they rattle loose every 300km

It has 850km on the clock.

:)

Yes, I got turned on white (or white/red combo). Black (black/red) is also a great color on Dukes!

Anyone here ever try to buy a custom build from a private seller? I've been eyeing a lot of really nice custom bobber builds on craigslist. I like the idea of owning a one of a kind. The risk of course is not really knowing the build quality of these things.

I have not. Besides build quality (as you mentioned), I think you might also need to worry about parts availability (depending on how custom it is).

Dude that sucks! Sorry to hear that... :(

Sorry to hear dude, but at least lessons were learned without a horrible accident happening.
That's the only good thing I can think of. :|

thanks. My foot ended up being ok, not broken. And, if it is any consolation, smashing up my front-end was just the impetus i needed to finally go ahead and order the naked conversion kit for the fz6. I am excited

Dougald

Damn I missed your post on the last page, same thing almost happened to me yesterday in central London - white van in front of me slammed on his brakes to turn without indicating. Glad to hear you were ok

Make sure you have a pro check out whether everything is still 100% straight. New forks are expensive...
thanks for the advice, I will def get it looked at. I really hope they are not bent. I've been riding the bike to school and such still and nothing appears to be off. But yea, before I get the kit installed I will have him check. I was prob going 15-25 mph when I hit the van. And, since I locked up the front tire(lifiting the rear tire off the ground ), the top of the bike's windscreen, and my body were the primary things to hit the vehicle. Thus, I dont think the bikes frame and forks took to much force.
Damn I missed your post on the last page, same thing almost happened to me yesterday in central London - white van in front of me slammed on his brakes to turn without indicating. Glad to hear you were ok
thanks. Yea, it really was mostly my fault. The area I just moved to has crazy amounts of traffic and I am just not used to it yet. I was downtown, on uni campus, right as class was letting out. Also, a local highschool was letting out their student for the day. Also there was construction. I had no business taking my eyes off the road with so much going on.

Dougald

For English 2-wheel GAF, just read that Loomies cafe in West Meon is closing. One less place to visit on a Sunday morning, at least I am relatively close to Ace Cafe London..

Dougald

Almost ended up a statistic earlier.. thank god for twin disc brakes. Was just exiting a bus/taxi/cycle/motorcycle lane at the end of a 1 way street (the bus lane goes the opposite way) when chap decided to slam out from behind a lorry at 30mph+. Not sure how I could have seen him but luckily I was only going 20 at the time due to reduced visibility. Ended up about 2 feet away from being t-boned

Normally I can take away how I could have ridden differently, but this time I think it was just freak chance. I have second thoughts about using that lane again though, filtering through the cars on the one way system might actually be safer.

Yikes, glad you're all right.

I try to practice braking when I can but I'm pretty sure my next bike is going to have ABS just for such circumstances.

Top Bottom