• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I have been riding since 18 and I am 38 now... Every year is increase and I have to phone them and shout at them to get a better price. Its pretty standard for me at least.

Having moved around the same area a bit the last few years, insurance rates vary massiveley depending on your postcode too. Seems to be luck of the draw.

Having moved around the same area a bit the last few years, insurance rates vary massiveley depending on your postcode too. Seems to be luck of the draw.

True I did find this. We live in a small village but it falls under Reading. I will see what they say. I also received a letter from BMW to tell me I must give them a ring as they will beat my Carol Nash price. I cannot believe that but its worth a try.

Oh yes... Duc competition

BMW's all new S 1000 XR

hz4X5fD.jpg

XR: a cross between an enduro and a sports bike.
Here's the perfect BMW motorcycle for all those who want the dynamic performance of a sports motorcycle, the versatility of an enduro and the comfort of a touring bike. The new S 1000 XR combines the very best of these worlds to create something completely new: the first ever adventure sports bike made by BMW Motorrad; perfect for everyone in search of sporty flair that knows no bounds.

very nice, but i'd still rather have the r1200rs.

Dougald

True I did find this. We live in a small village but it falls under Reading. I will see what they say. I also received a letter from BMW to tell me I must give them a ring as they will beat my Carol Nash price. I cannot believe that but its worth a try.

Try Bennett's, they are very good and cover most non-performance mods with no extra charge. But I just have it in for Carole Nash this year after they set up my Street policy wrong when I changed bikes, and charged me to fix it

I have lived in 3 different areas all under "Reading", all with wildly different costs!

Try Bennett's, they are very good and cover most non-performance mods with no extra charge. But I just have it in for Carole Nash this year after they set up my Street policy wrong when I changed bikes, and charged me to fix it

I have lived in 3 different areas all under "Reading", all with wildly different costs!

Cool I will give them a go and see how I get on.

So apparently the supercharger on the H2R spins at 130k rpms, meaning parts of it will travel faster than the speed of sound.

What the fuck.

Driving a 300hp hyperbike sounds absolutely terrifying.

Some time scales for the new BMW 2015 bikes

Should be 7 Feb launch for RR, R 1200 R and F 800 R then early May for RS and June for XR.

Sweet... This is for the UK and all the bikes will be at the NEC bike show

So apparently the supercharger on the H2R spins at 130k rpms, meaning parts of it will travel faster than the speed of sound.

What the fuck.

Driving a 300hp hyperbike sounds absolutely terrifying.

I think a lot of turbos hit that speed and faster. It doesn't surprise me that a small, low inertia supercharger would spin in the hundred k range.

Dougald

I'm still umming and ahhing about going to the NEC bike show this year. I went to the classic car show last year but its just too damn cold to ride there, so it'll be car + pay £20 or some outrageous amount to park. If I do there will be lots of pics taken

I'm still umming and ahhing about going to the NEC bike show this year. I went to the classic car show last year but its just too damn cold to ride there, so it'll be car + pay £20 or some outrageous amount to park. If I do there will be lots of pics taken

Same here... last time it was snowing and its no fun to go to a bike show in a car. But the weather might be good for the day you never know. This morning is was 0deg so no biking today.

Yeh, the one here in the Netherlands is in February or something as well. Usually too cold/salty for a bike still. Would be more fun by bike.

HylianTom

Banned
After 14 years of riding, I finally had my first accident last night, if you can call it that. I'm still a bit shocked that all I have is a silver dollar-sized bruise on the inside of my knee. I scanned myself at work this morning.. no damage, save for a bit of fluid around the bruise.

I was stationary at a "T" intersection, waiting to turn left (I was on the vertical part of the "T"). A cop car approached from my right (he was on the horizontal part of the "T"), signaled to turn left, and turned into my lane (instead of staying in the proper right lane), hitting me head-on at about 15mph.

Seemed like slow motion as it happened. I jumped near-vertically and got off the bike just as it was being hit. Most of the damage was to the police suv's plastic bumper, which crumpled-up really easily. The Scrambler fell pretty slowly onto its left side (the cheap side - the exhaust is on the right, ha!), and the damage looks like it's all cosmetic.. a few scratches on my mirror, fender, engine guard, and footpegs.

The officer really didn't have an explanation for why he turned in such an odd way, and I didn't press the issue, just happy to be uninjured. I take the bike in to the shop tomorrow morning.

The whole incident doesn't deter me from riding, but I won't tell my parents what happened - they worry enough already.

man, the street triple r is an amazing damn bike. IT IS OPERATED BY TELEPATHY I SWEAR. there's so much hooligan temptation all up in that two-wheeler.

anyway, the international moto exposition is in town today through sunday. gonna roll by sunday morning and peep bikes i shouldn't even be THINKING about.

mut: congratulations, and welcome to the club! fz-07 is a great choice.

The whole incident doesn't deter me from riding, but I won't tell my parents what happened - they worry enough already.

Glad you are safe. I don't think i could ever commute on my bike. Very content taking it through the canyons near where I live that don't get much cager traffic.

Dougald

Just passed my motorcycle road test!
Got a full license now! :D

So happy!

Nice one mate congrats!

Glad to hear you are okay and there was nothing major. Guy clearly was either not looking or didn't see you. Was there anything you could have done differently to mitigate it? I'm not playing blame the victim here, rather that whenever I have any scary moments I always try and think if there was a way I could mitigate it for next time, I always say that fault doesn't matter when you're the one in the hospital.

All I can think of to suggest is wear some sort of reflective clothing or armband if it was dark. Otherwise I've got nothing, sounds like there wasn't much you could have done..

stoopid cop crash

Glad you're alright mate. What did the cop do after? Are you least going to be able to claim for the damages?

I also had my first crash yesterday. I was filtering through London traffic and some guy decided to indicate as he was already turning. I braked way too hard (can't remember exactly) and ended up on the tarmac face first.

got a headache for the rest of the day and fractured and dislocated a couple of bones in my hand. Smith's fracture for anyone interested.

Put me on a bit of morphine, paracetamol and codeine, then sent me home. I'm getting surgery next week, who knows when.

bike's not too bad. The rear brake won't disengage but hopefully that's all.

Damn, glad both you HylianTom are still kicking. Though the hand injury sounds painful :(.

Filtering does worry me whenever gaps start to appear left and right.

Mutfox, congrats!

Dougald

Damn, glad both you HylianTom are still kicking. Though the hand injury sounds painful :(.

Filtering does worry me whenever gaps start to appear left and right.

Mutfox, congrats!

Yes this is the most dangerous point. Usually you can catch it but unfortunately not in this case. Glad to see there wasn't much damage - locking the brakes is why I can't wait for the EUs mandated ABS to come in (so it filters down to the used bikes I can actually buy). I know some people are against it as they see it as taking away from the ride, but anything that helps prevent an accident is a bonus.

Yes this is the most dangerous point. Usually you can catch it but unfortunately not in this case. Glad to see there wasn't much damage - locking the brakes is why I can't wait for the EUs mandated ABS to come in (so it filters down to the used bikes I can actually buy). I know some people are against it as they see it as taking away from the ride, but anything that helps prevent an accident is a bonus.

Yeah, ever since the bikesafe course I've been quite careful but in London you can't avoid overtaking in junctions if you want to get anywhere.

HylianTom

Banned
Glad to hear you are okay and there was nothing major. Guy clearly was either not looking or didn't see you. Was there anything you could have done differently to mitigate it? I'm not playing blame the victim here, rather that whenever I have any scary moments I always try and think if there was a way I could mitigate it for next time, I always say that fault doesn't matter when you're the one in the hospital.

All I can think of to suggest is wear some sort of reflective clothing or armband if it was dark. Otherwise I've got nothing, sounds like there wasn't much you could have done..

I asked myself the exact same questions after I got home; it's not victim blaming - more of a defense/prevention mindset that takes hold after a while, maybe? Not much else I could've done, I think. My jacket, helmet, and bike has reflective strips & stickers on them, and my headlight & blinker were on. There was a lady in a car behind me at the intersection who saw the whole thing; I think her reaction was more "WTF!?" than mine. Like a freak thing.

Glad you're alright mate. What did the cop do after? Are you least going to be able to claim for the damages?

I also had my first crash yesterday. I was filtering through London traffic and some guy decided to indicate as he was already turning. I braked way too hard (can't remember exactly) and ended up on the tarmac face first.

got a headache for the rest of the day and fractured and dislocated a couple of bones in my hand. Smith's fracture for anyone interested.

Put me on a bit of morphine, paracetamol and codeine, then sent me home. I'm getting surgery next week, who knows when.

bike's not too bad. The rear brake won't disengage but hopefully that's all.

Sounds like you're getting some titanium in your hand/wrist. Glad you're okay.. could've been much worse, for sure.

The cop says he doesn't know why it happened. It was too dark to see in his vehicle, but he must not have been paying attention, which makes me wonder about maybe him looking at his cell or his dash computer? I'm purely speculating at this point. (but yep.. the police are paying for everything, including basic maintenance for the next few years. Glad there were witnesses.)

Just some quick feedback on the insurance renewal

Last year it was 289 pounds and the quote for this year was 398 pounds. After looking on GoCompare the cheapest price was from Bennets for 228 Pounds. I also saw that Carol Nash was sitting at 256 pounds. Same as my current policy.

So I jumped on the phone and complained to them that every year my premium goes up but I am not costing them any money. They also said that its cheaper online as they don't have to pay the 40 pound brokers fee (That is BS in my book) So I managed to get the guy to speak to the manager and I got the online price in the end. I hate getting revved up every year to get a good deal.

I think they made some more money out of me as I was on the phone for 45min.

But in the end I am happy... from 398 pounds down to 256.21 pounds. Result

Watcher

uWKLTow.jpg
Welp. Dropped my bike today. Was doing a low speed turn in a parking lot and I just lost balance. The bike slid against a red painted curb for a few feet. Right side fairing is scratched to hell and my new yoshi exhaust is scratched as well. Nothing mechanical was damaged luckily so all in all im not too upset. My poor ninja :(

Ouch, hope you didn't get injured.

I'm getting my frame and axle sliders next week, yeah it kinda makes the bike look odd but I know a slide/crash is a matter "when" and not "if". Also looking at some engine guards.

Ooh, that's rough Watcher. Though it's not too bad by the looks of it. Maybe the red will come off (out of it) with some polishing.

Ouch, hope you didn't get injured.

I'm getting my frame and axle sliders next week, yeah it kinda makes the bike look odd but I know a slide/crash is a matter "when" and not "if". Also looking at some engine guards.

Haha, well maybe not for everyone, though if you're planning to, maybe it is a good idea to mount some sliders here and there :D.

Dougald

Glad you are ok and the bike doesn't look too damaged

Everyone is dropping their bikes this week... I'm scared to go out now!

Watcher

Yea im thankful I didnt get hurt physically. Only damage done is to my pride ;_;

Ill take this as a lesson learned the hard way. Dont get complacent

Dougald

If it makes you feel any better I've dropped every bike I've ever owned (except the Street triple touch wood) in a car park or on my own driveway

Well... to be fair the Fazer rolled off its sidestand but still. I really hope I've learned my lesson by now.

I read in some bike mag that you are very likely to drop a new bike or new to you in the first 8000 km.

I dropped all the GS models I had so far (in the forest or parking lot)... even went over the handles going over a gavel road pass. But man the biggest beast was the 1150gs adv. That is like a tank to pick up.

We did a long trip some time ago and it was one of the long days in the saddle. When we stopped to a break I put my foot out to get off and my legs where just tired and I fell over on the spot. My dad was laughing like no tomorrow. At least he helped to pick up the bike

Watevaman

Actually had the zrx roll of its sidestand last week haha. Fell onto my buddy's SV as it was warming up. Dented his exhaust can but no damage otherwise.

Man, look at all bike dropping going here. Glad I'm not alone (as long as there aren't any injuries to anyone).

I just thought I'd share that I had my surgery today. Everything went well it seems.

Here, the damage: I got a distal radius, volar Barton fracture.

It means the main forearm bone -the radius- had a part broken off/cracked open where it meets the hand bones (the rounded bit got turned into two parts). The Barton part means that all the bones of the hand that connect this bone have become dislocated. Because it cracked through the joint I'll have early onset arthritis.I have a volar plate now, it reattached the broken off chunk -which is on the side facing the thumb.

Thumbs up to the NHS for this free operation but they need to sort some shit out.

Please feel to tell if I'm sharing too much info, I realise this might be off putting to some people.

Edit: Actually the worst part of the day was that on my way home I saw a motorbike crashed on the side of the road 5 mins from my house. It's a Yamaha sport, guessing by the tyres etc at least a 600cc, with exhaust mods etc. The bike is complete write off, the dash, headlights all fell off, the seat got ripped off, the exhaust was bent too; I didn't get a good look it was late in the evening.

The rider may have been going way too fast round a corner covered with yellow criss cross paint, manhole covers etc just a few meters behind where the bike was parked. I fear that s/he suffered VERY serious injuries. I wish I could find him and offer some words of support.

I didn't take any pictures but if you guys don't find it tasteless or disrespectful I can do that tomorrow.

Jackson

Nah, they weren't pissed but I did have to pay for some minor repairs (bent clutch lever).

You drop it on the test ride or in the store? That musta been a fun rider back to the store if you were already out on the road.

I test drove a HD V-Rod awhile back and I was scared I'd drop or low side it due to the whacky seating position I was in. So unnatural.

I just thought I'd share that I had my surgery today. Everything went well it seems.

Here, the damage: I got a distal radius, volar Barton fracture.

Sorry to hear about your injuries man! :( Hope you have a speedy recovery.

senahorse

newparts_zps6b783f4e.png~original

All of my new parts installed :D. Changes over the past 2 days are, installed 3.1 gal IMS tank, no-toil vented fuel cap (so I can use my tank bag), FMF Q4 muffler, FMF megabomb header, no-toil super-flo air filter, Dynojet Power Commander V (I got the FMF fuel programmer but decided to get something a bit more customisable), speedodrd speedo corrector (changed gearing recently), gutted airbox (now it can finally breath), ripped off air induction system, ripped off exup exhaust servo, replaced with exup emulator so I don't get an error code on screen, installed tail tidy.

Just took it for the maiden voyage, (had to wait 24 hours for the gasket silicone to cure on the exhaust, that was painful :(), no leaks and it's going great. I am just using a fuel map I found online from someone with a similar setup using a power commander 3 and converted it to PCV format. It's pretty bang on, but I will get mine properly dyno tuned next week to perfectly suit my bike, also my PCV does ignition timing as well so it will be nice to get that dialed in.

All in all I am very happy, bike has a lot more bottom end now, which it was sorely lacking, can't wait to get it on some single track :D

edit: the recommended dyno shop is booked solid for the rest of the year (guess that's a good sign), but I managed to squeeze an appointment in for early December.

Jackson

newparts_zps6b783f4e.png~original

All of my new parts installed :D. Changes over the past 2 days are, installed 3.1 gal IMS tank, no-toil vented fuel cap (so I can use my tank bag), FMF Q4 muffler, FMF megabomb header, no-toil super-flo air filter, Dynojet Power Commander V (I got the FMF fuel programmer but decided to get something a bit more customisable), speedodrd speedo corrector (changed gearing recently), gutted airbox (now it can finally breath), ripped off air induction system, ripped off exup exhaust servo, replaced with exup emulator so I don't get an error code on screen, installed tail tidy.

Just took it for the maiden voyage, (had to wait 24 hours for the gasket silicone to cure on the exhaust, that was painful :(), no leaks and it's going great. I am just using a fuel map I found online from someone with a similar setup using a power commander 3 and converted it to PCV format. It's pretty bang on, but I will get mine properly dyno tuned next week to perfectly suit my bike, also my PCV does ignition timing as well so it will be nice to get that dialed in.

All in all I am very happy, bike has a lot more bottom end now, which it was sorely lacking, can't get to get it on some single track :D

Man I want one next spring so bad haha

Makki

Had to take in the Ninja 300 to the dealership to have several plastics replaced including the dash because the master cylinder for the front brake was leaking and bits of fluid ate through several spots.
Turns out they replaced the whole dash and now my Odometer mileage has been reset to 0. I had no clue until now but google searching the issue it seems like its common for bikes to have its odometer reset? Now Im doubting low mileage bikes on craigslist :p

Had to take in the Ninja 300 to the dealership to have several plastics replaced including the dash because the master cylinder for the front brake was leaking and bits of fluid ate through several spots.
Turns out they replaced the whole dash and now my Odometer mileage has been reset to 0. I had no clue until now but google searching the issue it seems like its common for bikes to have its odometer reset? Now Im doubting low mileage bikes on craigslist :p

That shouldn't happen... :x

Top Bottom