• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

newparts_zps6b783f4e.png~original

All of my new parts installed :D. Changes over the past 2 days are, installed 3.1 gal IMS tank, no-toil vented fuel cap (so I can use my tank bag), FMF Q4 muffler, FMF megabomb header, no-toil super-flo air filter, Dynojet Power Commander V (I got the FMF fuel programmer but decided to get something a bit more customisable), speedodrd speedo corrector (changed gearing recently), gutted airbox (now it can finally breath), ripped off air induction system, ripped off exup exhaust servo, replaced with exup emulator so I don't get an error code on screen, installed tail tidy.

Just took it for the maiden voyage, (had to wait 24 hours for the gasket silicone to cure on the exhaust, that was painful :(), no leaks and it's going great. I am just using a fuel map I found online from someone with a similar setup using a power commander 3 and converted it to PCV format. It's pretty bang on, but I will get mine properly dyno tuned next week to perfectly suit my bike, also my PCV does ignition timing as well so it will be nice to get that dialed in.

All in all I am very happy, bike has a lot more bottom end now, which it was sorely lacking, can't wait to get it on some single track :D

edit: the recommended dyno shop is booked solid for the rest of the year (guess that's a good sign), but I managed to squeeze an appointment in for early December.

Saw a whole lot of guys out this morning doing some trail riding here in the UK and damn it looks like fun. That is a good looking bike and some nice upgrades. Enjoy and we want to see it caked in mud soon lol

Damaged

Had to take in the Ninja 300 to the dealership to have several plastics replaced including the dash because the master cylinder for the front brake was leaking and bits of fluid ate through several spots.
Turns out they replaced the whole dash and now my Odometer mileage has been reset to 0. I had no clue until now but google searching the issue it seems like its common for bikes to have its odometer reset? Now Im doubting low mileage bikes on craigslist :p

I had a similar issue with condensation in my Aprilia dash and they just swapped it over, they keep a record of the mileage on the dealer network. Best bet with any bike you buy is to do a dealer check on the reg to see if it has had ant warranty replacements

Any other ride-by-wire 2 wheelers in this thread? Need to know if you ever got used to the "touchy" throttle.

Took the Monster for a nice 1.5 hour relaxed ride and i'm still not getting the feel for the RBW system. I keep a light touch btw, no death grip. It's particularly annoying on the occasional rough terrain.

i got used to it on the shiver 750 back in the day. i was a total n00b then, and i thought all bikes were supposed to be low-speed touchy like that. nowadays, i'd just grab a powercommander and download a good mapping.

Any other ride-by-wire 2 wheelers in this thread? Need to know if you ever got used to the "touchy" throttle.

Took the Monster for a nice 1.5 hour relaxed ride and i'm still not getting the feel for the RBW system. I keep a light touch btw, no death grip. It's particularly annoying on the occasional rough terrain.

R1 here...I will say the standard power mode was fine. Post re-flash of my ECU, however, the most aggressive 'A' mode is the best to use and not twitchy etc...or at least I don't notice anything bad about it.

Damaged

Got it on my Dorsoduro, with the three mapping modes I stick with 'touring' mainly and only really notice it on the most aggressive 'sports' mode but at that point I'm pressing on at it kind of works. I think it took me a few months to really get used to it but I like it now.

A nice 6 degrees this morning on the bike. Winter is on its way. Time to get the battery on a conditioner and spray some ACF to keep the bike protected.

Dougald

Maybe of interest to anyone in the UK working on their license, I just read that BMW rider training are offering guaranteed direct access test passes. It's not actually guaranteed, but you don't have to pay any extra for additional training etc if you fail one of the tests, so takes a lot of the pressure off.

Maybe of interest to anyone in the UK working on their license, I just read that BMW rider training are offering guaranteed direct access test passes. It's not actually guaranteed, but you don't have to pay any extra for additional training etc if you fail one of the tests, so takes a lot of the pressure off.

Wow that sounds like a good deal and to lure new riders on there bikes.

Dougald

When you consider it cost my wife an extra £160 when she failed her module 1, its a pretty good deal

Though I'm sure BMW training aren't the cheapest out there...

Dougald

"Between the BMW rNineT and the Norton, the BMW was the cheapest cafe racer"

Was a sentence said by very few people, yeah

I'm ashamed to admit my bike hasn't moved in a month, just haven't needed to use it. Even my wife has been to work on her CBR in the cold..

Just got a deal from MCN for 6 issues only £1. It a promotion they are doing because I used there website to get a quote. They also offered me RIDE but I like the MCN newspaper old school feel much better.

senahorse

Went for a nice little ride this morning, about 120k's in bush and on road. Bike is going really well since the upgrades, the fuel map I found for the power commander is working really well, I almost don't want to bother getting it dyno tuned but the map I am using is not using the ignition module at all so I would like to get that dialled in. Also it's heating up here in sunny Brisbane (Australia), it's about 31C at the moment.

Went for a nice little ride this morning, about 120k's in bush and on road. Bike is going really well since the upgrades, the fuel map I found for the power commander is working really well, I almost don't want to bother getting it dyno tuned but the map I am using is not using the ignition module at all so I would like to get that dialled in. Also it's heating up here in sunny Brisbane (Australia), it's about 31C at the moment.

Stop bragging as we are moving into our winter here haha. It great to hear you are happy with the mods and take some photos of the trail so we can drool

also an absurdly good bike! i'd forgotten it existed, was discussing how i felt the monster 821 needed a little more oomph in the upper revs, and the salesbreh was all "STREETFIGHTER 848 AHOY"

probably should stay away from it myself, or the terrible lust will continue unabated :-(

Dougald

Awful to see, I always enjoyed his videos and he seems like a really great guy. I was going to say I guess the traffic out there finally caught up with him but seems he was just unlucky.

I have kicked some cash his way

Watevaman

Never liked his videos, but I'm sorry to hear about the accident. I hope he gets all the money he needs and makes a complete recovery.

^Damn, that's rough. It says he hit a wall or something?

also an absurdly good bike! i'd forgotten it existed, was discussing how i felt the monster 821 needed a little more oomph in the upper revs, and the salesbreh was all "STREETFIGHTER 848 AHOY"

probably should stay away from it myself, or the terrible lust will continue unabated :-(

Haha, yeah he's right. I'm used to the 1100's up front delivery of power, so at first, with the 848, I was like 'where's the power?' then I pushed the bike past 7.500rpms and I was like 'oh yeah, there it is.'

Every bit as fast as the 998 I once owned, but in a package you can actually be comfortable on. I quite liked it.

(I'm looking to maybe sell the 1100 for something else as it does the exact same thing as the Buells. And I'm kinda partial to the way the Buells do it.)

i thought i liked the smaller bikes (and i do in town, for sure) but the street triple feels too ephemeral on freeway, and now i am pretty sure that 460-500 lbs. wet is perfect for me. the tuono felt really planted at 80+ mph, whereas on our shitty quality freeway i was worried about the triple getting away from me even with the suspension dialed all the way back.

Rode the 2013 tuono and it was a great bit of kit, felt like a little too much bike on the road for me but I like smaller bikes. That engine though is fantastic

That looks like an awesome bike but the dealer is way to far away from me. Always liked the look of them monsters

Awful to see, I always enjoyed his videos and he seems like a really great guy. I was going to say I guess the traffic out there finally caught up with him but seems he was just unlucky.

I have kicked some cash his way

Hearing the run down of his injuries is really depressing. I was feeling a little brave after my little crash, like "pff, I know the risks" but not so much anymore. I'll still ride but yeah, very carefully.

I hope he can look after his kid after this.

Worked on the X1 Buell with my dad last weekend:

Raised the subframe so that we could remove the oil tank and lines:
img_20141129_130003byfps.jpg

img_20141129_120914tzfvw.jpg

which we had to clean thoroughly to get rid of this shit (we used 2 stroke gasoline, vigorous shaking and a brush to remove all the flakes):
img_20141129_14442339is1.jpg

because this gear had ground itself to pieces:
img_20141129_121058arfxb.jpg

sadly the oil pump was damaged beyond repair by all that crap:
img_20141129_150211yrd0p.jpg

I probably mentioned this already, but the oil pump drive gear (motorcyclestorehouse brand sold by harley dealer) was indeed at fault here. So I'm hoping they're at least going to pay for the replacement gear and oil pump (close to 425 bucks in parts alone, forget the extra work we had to do to clean everything up).

The good news is that we opened up the rocker box and there didn't appear to be any of that gold crap up there.

Dougald

^ looks like you're keeping busy during the winter! I have totally neglected all my winter projects on the bike so far...

Some photos from Today's toy run, I'm not sure if we broke the world record yet but there were almost 2000 bikes taking part so it was great fun. The police shut down all the roads and a lot of the community come out to see.

Hopefully there will be some pics online later, this was one of those times I wish I had a gopro!

^ looks like you're keeping busy during the winter! I have totally neglected all my winter projects on the bike so far...

Some photos from Today's toy run, I'm not sure if we broke the world record yet but there were almost 2000 bikes taking part so it was great fun. The police shut down all the roads and a lot of the community come out to see.

Hopefully there will be some pics online later, this was one of those times I wish I had a gopro!

Nice man... The little one was sick so I had to help out entertaining. Looks like good fun.

Worked on the X1 Buell with my dad last weekend:

Raised the subframe so that we could remove the oil tank and lines:
img_20141129_130003byfps.jpg

img_20141129_120914tzfvw.jpg

which we had to clean thoroughly to get rid of this shit (we used 2 stroke gasoline, vigorous shaking and a brush to remove all the flakes):
img_20141129_14442339is1.jpg

because this gear had ground itself to pieces:
img_20141129_121058arfxb.jpg

sadly the oil pump was damaged beyond repair by all that crap:
img_20141129_150211yrd0p.jpg

I probably mentioned this already, but the oil pump drive gear (motorcyclestorehouse brand sold by harley dealer) was indeed at fault here. So I'm hoping they're at least going to pay for the replacement gear and oil pump (close to 425 bucks in parts alone, forget the extra work we had to do to clean everything up).

The good news is that we opened up the rocker box and there didn't appear to be any of that gold crap up there.

Damn I would love to have a space like that to work on my bike. 2 degrees in the garage is not fun. Enjoy the project

Yeah, doing my best. Hope it's just one more day of work. Gotta keep that riding / wrenching ratio in check.

Looked like a nice ride, and going by those videos, not too shabby weather either?

The gold tinsel goes well with your black Triumph. And look, a Buell! Awesome :D.

Damn I would love to have a space like that to work on my bike. 2 degrees in the garage is not fun. Enjoy the project

Thanks! And yeah, that heated garage is pretty great. (Don't worry though, it's my dad's.)

Watevaman

I run an oil radiator in my garage and it works pretty well for our two car garage. Obviously it won't make the garage 70+ degrees but it's nice to be able to feel your fingers if you're out there lubing the chain or taking the carbs off.

Dougald

^ Yeah, I have an electric radiator as well, it's enough to take the edge off!

Looked like a nice ride, and going by those videos, not too shabby weather either?

The gold tinsel goes well with your black Triumph. And look, a Buell! Awesome :D.

Weather was okay, it stopped raining for the ride, and while it was cold, it was still unseasonably warm. I saw that Buell and thought of you!

StuKen

Rear shock seals blown on the GS. Went out two days ago and found a pool of oil on the street under the bike. The damn oem part is a sealed unit and cannot be rebuilt. So its a three week lead time for a hyperpro replacement and a whopping €800 bill just in time for christmas. Joy.

Dougald

Damnit I was spotted

oHP3E5Q.jpg

Rear shock seals blown on the GS. Went out two days ago and found a pool of oil on the street under the bike. The damn oem part is a sealed unit and cannot be rebuilt. So its a three week lead time for a hyperpro replacement and a whopping €800 bill just in time for christmas. Joy.

Damn, that sucks, sorry to hear. But it's all part of the 'joy' of owning something that's not Japanese!

Top Bottom