• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I'd have the BMW any day... though to be honest unless I started going for track days I wouldn't consider a 1000 over a 600

Watevaman

For the track, probably the R1. For the street, whichever one is most comfortable, which a few years ago at the motorcycle show was the GSX-R or CBR.

Makki

Is a 2001 R6 with 35,000 miles a ripoff for 2500 bucks if it has no cosmetic/mechanical issues at all? I'm gauging how bad of a decision buying this thing is, I've never ridden/owned something with so many miles

Dougald

Couldn't comment on the price as I'm not in the US/don't know R1 pricing so well, but on the miles I'd say the biggest problem you're likely to have is selling it, as any buyer will have the same reservations you do.. Of course you can use this to your advantage and get it for cheap. People still have the mentality that bike engines will explode after 20k miles which tbh hasn't been true for years. Heck, I met a bloke 3 weeks ago on a Fazer 1000 that had just hit 100k miles with no end in sight.

I'd say "depends how long you're planning on keeping it". If you're going to keep it a long time and it's been well maintained with no problems, I'd go for it.

iamblades

The BMW S1000 RR is the best value and feature set in super bikes on the market today, so if I was looking for a liter bike that was mainly going to be streeted with the occasional casual track day, that would probably be my choice(or I'd scale back and get the 899, but that's a whole other argument).

If it were a hardcore track bike that I was going to beat the shit out of, I'd definitely buy japanese for the cheaper aftermarket support though.

Makki

Couldn't comment on the price as I'm not in the US/don't know R1 pricing so well, but on the miles I'd say the biggest problem you're likely to have is selling it, as any buyer will have the same reservations you do.. Of course you can use this to your advantage and get it for cheap. People still have the mentality that bike engines will explode after 20k miles which tbh hasn't been true for years. Heck, I met a bloke 3 weeks ago on a Fazer 1000 that had just hit 100k miles with no end in sight.

I'd say "depends how long you're planning on keeping it". If you're going to keep it a long time and it's been well maintained with no problems, I'd go for it.

That's a good point, I would probably run into the same issue if not worse than this guy is having after I put more miles on it whenever it comes to selling the thing, it's been more than 15 on craigslist after all. I'm trying to find an older sportsbike to ride until august/september and then sell it for a small hit, 500 bucks at most. Guess I'll keep looking.

I'd have the BMW any day... though to be honest unless I started going for track days I wouldn't consider a 1000 over a 600

It is often, well sometimes, said that the increased amount of torque allows those 1000s to be ridden a little more lazily/responsibly than the high(er) strung 600s. Not that anyone in the world has the willpower to not open it up past certain thresholds.

Dougald

It is often, well sometimes, said that the increased amount of torque allows those 1000s to be ridden a little more lazily/responsibly than the high(er) strung 600s. Not that anyone in the world has the willpower to not open it up past certain thresholds.

Yes that's often used, however *personally* I don't see the point in riding something I'll hardly ever get out of first/second gear. Hell, I barely get the Street Triple out of second gear, I can't see why I'd need the Speed 3!

I have been considering going to some track days on the Street 3 though. Unfortunately I don't have the approved gear so it's a bit of an expense.

Yeah same here, it's why I love my air cooled twins so much. 5th gear on the M2 still doesn't give me much more than 180 kph. And it's so much fun getting there.

What kind of gear would you need for the track? You mean leathers and such? Is that mandatory?

Dougald

Yes at least here you need a 1-piece leather suit, or a 2-piece leather suit with a connecting zip that goes all the way around, I have neither. Plus a lot of places seem to want race boots and mine are hand-made Alt-Bergs!

Probably about £300-500 worth to get something used on eBay. It would be cool to ride Silverstone though

Makki

Whelp the Ninja 300 sold yesterday... and I bought another Ninja today, a ZX9-R B3:

uDfRhxR.jpg

3,100 miles on the Odometer. Paid 3200 bucks for it which for something this nice felt like a bargain. The power is insane... and its really heavy lol. I had my brother drive me 277 miles to get it and rode it back, it ran perfectly.

Whelp the Ninja 300 sold yesterday... and I bought another Ninja today, a ZX9-R B3:

3,100 miles on the Odometer. Paid 3200 bucks for it which for something this nice felt like a bargain. The power is insane... and its really heavy lol. I had my brother drive me 277 miles to get it and rode it back, it ran perfectly.

Looks like the bike is in very good shape. Grats and I hope you enjoy the good weather.

Congratulations Makki, with that kind of mileage it does appear to be a steal. One of the best looking years for a Ninja as well. And it must be pretty cool to go from a 300 to a 900 :p.

WHICH SUB-400 CC SPORTBIKE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

Funny, how even like 6 years ago or so, when I started riding only the Ninja 250 was the only small displacement sportbike for the states.
I think it's great these smaller capacity bikes are coming out. Hopefully get more younger people riding. And good examples of bigger/faster does not mean more fun.

I test rode the CBR650F yesterday. Had been eyeing it for a while but was a bit disappointed. It's kindof in the middle of hunched over and not and I couldn't get comfortable. After 35 miles I had quite sore wrists. Also seemed to have pretty snatchy throttle response, and a harsher than expected ride.

Next on the list are the Yamaha Diversion (although it's s bit old and I'm sure will be updated soon). And the Triumph Tiger XRx (which looks perfect and has an optional low seat)

Jackson

Did you guys see MCN's 2015 liter bike shootout?

It features the Yamaha R1, Ducati 1299S, BMW S1KR, Honda Fireblade SP, Kawasaki ZX10R, and Suzuki GSXR 1000.

If you could have any of them, which one would you choose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V4kMSXKn9g

I was toying with the idea of getting the 1299 S, I kind of wanted it for it's electronics, it has a bunch of new stuff the 899 lacks which would make it safer. But I've only had my 899 for less than a year. So I'm going to wait until next year when warranty drops and then pick up whatever new hawtness is coming out.

The 899 has plenty of "get you in trouble power" (especially in ultra-twitchy race mode). I can't imaging what the 1299 S will do with that extra 400cc's and 55hp). I hear they fixed the torque curve's flat spots at low RPMs too. Which to be honest, is a good thing on the street, as it gives you some time before you're blasting off like a mad man. My bike already does 0-60 in 2.5s and 1/4 mile in 10s. It's bonkers enough. How much more do I need?! (more... always moar!!!)

But if the 1299's street ride is bad I think I'm out. The 899 is "livable", but yo have an 848 right? the 899 is lightyears ahead of that in terms of comfort. So maybe it won't bother you.

The R1M seems cool and looks kinda cool (I saw it in person at a show) very futuristic, but a Panigale is a Panigale. I went out riding today and any time you stop you get people coming up complimenting on how gorgeous the bike is.

The S1000RR is so ugly I don't think I could ever own one. Borrowing one? Sure! :)

WHICH SUB-400 CC SPORTBIKE IS RIGHT FOR YOU?

Funny, how even like 6 years ago or so, when I started riding only the Ninja 250 was the only small displacement sportbike for the states.

This is so great for newbies! Even last year there wasn't nearly as many options. It was basically a Ninja 300 or a CBR 500 if you went new. Also, this article confirmed what I already knew about the Ninja 300 after I bought it, it's a total piece of bargain bin crap lol.

Nice looking Ducati

AycHAYG.jpg

McGIhIz.jpg

Those are great. What shop customized them?

What do you guys think to Hondas Bulldog concept bike?

q5GPMPh.jpg

It looks like the unholy union of a Ruckus and an older BMW... I quite like it actually.

If Honda were to make this bike a reality but with beefier suspension for off-road riding and un-expose those exhaust pipes so you could put a skid plate on it, then I would be all over this bike. Would be like a V-Strom but more dirt capable but still highway capable.

Honda was once my long time Japanese favorite, but I feel they are lagging behind on cool new bikes.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I think it's great these smaller capacity bikes are coming out. Hopefully get more younger people riding. And good examples of bigger/faster does not mean more fun.
So fun to ride the piss out of them and not break the law (as much). Not that I'm a great rider.

oh man, put almost 500 miles on the tuono this weekend -- rode to deception pass saturday, and then down to st. helens again today. gettin' my tires scrubbed down and i haven't even done a track day yet!

also my right wrist is ON FIYAH. god bless ibuprofen. the struggle is real, friends

Jackson

oh man, put almost 500 miles on the tuono this weekend -- rode to deception pass saturday, and then down to st. helens again today. gettin' my tires scrubbed down and i haven't even done a track day yet!

also my right wrist is ON FIYAH. god bless ibuprofen. the struggle is real, friends

Lol wat?! Marius and I rode to deception pass on Saturday too! Like a 7 hour trip lol.

Have you ridden on Madrona St. on your way up? It's amazing. Twisties hugging the sandy bay as the sun streams through the big alpine trees. Was epic.

I left my wallet at a gas station on Whidbey island and only realized it while on the ferry ride home. So we had to immediately hop on the next ferry and ride back out to the gas station then take another ferry back home lol.

Was a gorgeous day.

EDIT: Post #8888! Woo! Lol

Damaged

So chuffed, kind of bike related news! I quit the boring office job I have been doing for 14 years last week and start working for my Local Aprilia dealer at the start of May!! I know it wont all be exciting but its great to finally be doing a job that involves one of my favourite pastimes :)

Jackson

So chuffed, kind of bike related news! I quit the boring office job I have been doing for 14 years last week and start working for my Local Aprilia dealer at the start of May!! I know it wont all be exciting but its great to finally be doing a job that involves one of my favourite pastimes :)

Woa! That's a huge change! Congrats and good luck! :)

Wow that's awesome. Congratulations :)

Congrats Damaged, regardless of the fact there's probably some actual work involved as well, working with bikes is awesome whatever way you look at it.

Damaged

Thanks all, its going back to sales and shop management which I know isn't a picnic. But it does mean going on test rides with customers, staff discount, and my 90 mile a day commute is down to five :)

Anyone use a simpson helmet? I'm thinking of skipping out on the bell bullit for

instead. It's a pretty big price drop from the bullit so I'm glad about that but I'm not sure if the build quality is the same as bell.

just in time for the rsv4 rf and tuono 1100 to hit showrooms ;-)

Dougald

Bikes outside the new Harley Dealership down the road today

I'm going to have to get a mortgage before they open, to remove all temptation of spending the deposit on something far less practical.

I'm going to have to get a mortgage before they open, to remove all temptation of spending the deposit on something far less practical.

damn man I could ride a nice low rider with the sun on my back around the coast

Sitting at the dealer waiting for then to replace my rear rocker box gasket. I was washing my bike Saturday and found oil leaking. Warranty is up soon. But luckily everything is an easy fix that has happened so far.

I'm also planning a trip up to Oklahoma in May. Then going to catch the twisted sisters in Texas hill country on the way back. A whole week of riding, wine tasting and antiquing. W00t!

Where's that? I'm meant to be joining Harley's "Discover More" ride on Saturday, depending which bike I'm able to secure to ride. I really fancy trying the Street Glide. Currently got a Fat Bob booked but with the wideness combined with the forward controls it's a bit of a stretch for my short legs.

I'm absolutely loving my Sportster though. Riding that around the Kent countryside on bank holiday Monday in the sun and stopping for pub lunch was fantastic.

Dougald

Where's that? I'm meant to be joining Harley's "Discover More" ride on Saturday, depending which bike I'm able to secure to ride. I really fancy trying the Street Glide. Currently got a Fat Bob booked but with the wideness combined with the forward controls it's a bit of a stretch for my short legs.

I'm absolutely loving my Sportster though. Riding that around the Kent countryside on bank holiday Monday in the sun and stopping for pub lunch was fantastic.

Reading, just off the motorway, same owner as the Guildford dealership IIRC. Their grand opening is in a week or so

The sportster is in the same class of bike my Bonneville was, perfect for thumping around the countryside and going down the pub

Definitely give the street glide a chance. My only complaint is I don't care for the "batwing" fairing or how low it is. It scrapes all too easily for my taste, but if you're used to your Iron then it will actually be an improvement as it sits about half an inch higher and leans about two degrees more to each side.

However, depending on your height the buffeting can be hell on a SG. The first thing most people do is replace that windshield.

I've got a test ride scheduled for a Road Glide Special on Saturday. Lord give me strength >.>

15-hd-road-glide-special-1.jpg

I told my wife I spent 3 hours at the dealership and managed not to buy anything. She was happy. Then I told her I set up a test ride for Saturday. I got an "ugh" :)

Damaged

Yet another brake failure this morning :( Luckily the new job has come in handy already and a brand new Brembo rear calliper is coming out of my first few wage packets.

Yeah between the Road Glide and Street Glide there isn't much to chose between them. I actually prefer the Road Glide fairing. Good luck with your test ride.

I'm not much of a footpeg scraper yet even on my iron so I doubt I'll have too much issue. Also relatively short (5'7") so also doubt I'll get much buffeting.

However my dealers now told me Saturday ride is postponed so maybe have to book something specifically.

Dougald

Some of the dealers over here seem to have really weird test ride policies

My local Ducati dealer charges a £10 non-refundable insurance deposit, and won't let two people test a bike at the same time for liability reasons. The one that takes the cake is a Triumph dealership I went to (not my local one), that absolutely does not allow test rides on any of the used bikes they sell. Madness.

Luckily both my local Triumph and BMW dealers are pretty much fine with anything.

Top Bottom