• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

OraleeWey

Pannier rails / a pannier rack (same thing, different names) is what you need. A quick Google shows they are relatively inexpensive for the KLR. Then you can just tie the panniers to that, and it stops them interfering with your rear wheel

Cool. Thank you, I will look into it.

I have a question. It falls into the "stupid question" category. Anyway, other than the high RPM's on highway speeds (up to 70mph), do you guys think my KLR will be okay at those speeds for 45 miles (both ways total) on a single trip?

Edit: I plan on visiting my dad and taking my motorcycle with me.

Fake edit: He doesn't know I have a motorcycle yet, actually. I could avoid the highway but it would take longer!

Dougald

I sat at ~80mph for 300+ miles at a time on my Bonneville one day (excluding stopping for fuel). No idea what the revs were as it didn't have a tach, but I can tell you the engine didn't have much more to give. Should be no problem as long as your bike is well maintained.

OraleeWey

I sat at ~80mph for 300+ miles at a time on my Bonneville one day (excluding stopping for fuel). No idea what the revs were as it didn't have a tach, but I can tell you the engine didn't have much more to give. Should be no problem as long as your bike is well maintained.

Thanks again. Well, when I visit him next week, I wonder what his reaction will be.

Dougald

The Street Triple has won a bit of favour back from me, if I was on the R1150R or in the car I'd have been fuming

Still took 1.5 hours for what should be a 40 minute trip.

LkZqtoe.jpg

Dougald

I think everyone in the South of England decided to take their cars out and park them on the motorway

Even worse in London, though at least there you find that for every person who blocks you filtering, many more move over for you. I'd have never made it through some of those gaps on the big old boxer twin.

Yeah, (here in NL) the majority seems to be cool with it as well, luckily. Also, the Sportster twin stands up, so no issues there, hehe.

Went for a midday ride with Scotch yesterday. Took the Ulysses, such an amazing bike <3.

Dougald

My friend just bought an S1000RR, the desire to switch bikes is strong, but I still have a couple months financial uncertainty

I'm still quite tempted by a Monster 1100. Need to try one out, Ducati UK are doing a roadshow event in May where you can try all their bikes, I figure a run on a 1200 would be a good indicator. I also saw a Scrambler Full Throttle in the flesh last week and there is a certain appeal there.

I'm still quite tempted by a Monster 1100. Need to try one out, Ducati UK are doing a roadshow event in May where you can try all their bikes, I figure a run on a 1200 would be a good indicator.

Actually, I can remember the 1200 being described as a noticeably heavier bike (which it is). And, due to its water cooling, it is also much more powerful (in terms of horsepower), probably a higher rev ceiling as well (which makes the 1100 a more fun bike on the road -> 2valves -> more power down in the rev range).

If you're interested in the 1100, you should really try that specific bike instead of the 1200, which really is a completely new model. The more interesting comparison would be between a 796 and an 1100, I think (though the difference in price is so small that the S model 1100 is probably going to win out in the end, because why not).

My friend just bought an S1000RR, the desire to switch bikes is strong, but I still have a couple months financial uncertainty

I'm still quite tempted by a Monster 1100. Need to try one out, Ducati UK are doing a roadshow event in May where you can try all their bikes, I figure a run on a 1200 would be a good indicator. I also saw a Scrambler Full Throttle in the flesh last week and there is a certain appeal there.

Don't do it! My mate refuses to give up his Ducati 1000SS, we joke about how Ducati should do a kitchen roll dispenser that connects to the number plate to clean up the oil leaks every time we stop. The engine has been rebuilt, the gaskets renewed and still he has drips that hits the exhaust every time he rides it, been like that since he bought it new. I get the appeal, I've owned two Alfa Romeo cars, but at some point reliability outweighs more aesthetic considerations. If I had the money I'd love a 1100 Monster, but not as a primary bike, just as a store it in the garage and get it serviced after every ride type thing. And I know people will disagree and say "No!!! I've had mine for ages and it's fine!" but they are lying, LYING!

Dougald

The 1000SS is from the "change the belts every 5 minutes" era though isn't it? The modern Ducs seem to be much more reliable... for a certain value of "reliable" anyway. Maintenance schedules on the post-2009 models look almost reasonable

At least if I buy a cheap monster 1100/796 and its crap, it'll save me from from dropping £10k on a Multistrada that falls apart

If I don't buy anything this year I'll probably end up waiting until 2017 and buying either a used Multistrada or gently used MT-10..

Yeah Ducati do install a sense of loyalty, well I tried. My mate with the 1000ss is after a diavel next, he's just trying to argue the point with his wife that he needs to keep the 1000ss too.

Yeah Ducati do install a sense of loyalty, well I tried. My mate with the 1000ss is after a diavel next, he's just trying to argue the point with his wife that he needs to keep the 1000ss too.

Well actually, I sold my 1100 because my Buells are immeasurably more awesome, so my vote of confidence in terms of the bike's reliability has nothing to do with brand loyalty or anything like that.

Dougald

Well actually, I sold my 1100 because my Buells are immeasurably more awesome, so my vote of confidence in terms of the bike's reliability has nothing to do with brand loyalty or anything like that.

We all know how reliable Buell have been for you too ;-)

I suspect with my mate it's the $2000 he's spent on Ducati safety clothing and gear....

That's how they get ya... Always seemed a bit crazy to me, especially as isn't most of their stuff just Dainese leathers with an extra 25% slapped on the price?

I actually have one piece of Triumph gear (leather jacket), but I don't care, I'll wear that on anything, I only bought it because it was going cheap on eBay.

On a completely unrelated note, I've just bought my 10 year old son his first motorcycle with a clutch, he's had clutchless ones for years. But this is hard, he's panicking and I'm having to chase him and pull him off the back before he injures himself. Any tips? I'm thinking about restricting the throttle to the point where he needs to change gear.

Dougald

Maybe take off the gearshift and just have him practice slow control (<10mph) in 1st gear slipping the clutch until he gets used to it? Once he's mastered that, shifting should be easy enough

Also, your 10 year old rides? That's awesome. Motocross?

We all know how reliable Buell have been for you too ;-)

Yeah, though it's interesting, I'm not entirely sure how I would rate the Buells in terms of reliability. Yes, we've had to completely tear down the X1 again after a rebuild, but that's only because we had bad luck with an after market part that should not have been sold in the first place.

The M2 was a disaster when we got it, but that's because some dipshit Harley 'mechanic' had done 'work' on various unfortunate parts of the bike. After we corrected all that, I've ridden about 8.000km and apart from one failed clamp (that held the suspension's expansion chamber in place) - no problems.

The Ulysses, I've had the pleasure of using for about 3000km now. Rode it to Luxemburg and back, rode it around on Corsica. Also no problems. And I've seen mentions on forums of people who did over 150.000 miles (!) on a Uly without opening the engine. I think that when these bikes get their oil changes and are properly warmed up each ride, they absolutely can be reliable.

Dougald

I think pretty much any modern vehicle, when maintained properly, is good for at least a hundred thousand miles without too much incident

Unless it's Chinese, then you have parts falling off it after 500 miles and brake lines that ship with 90% air in them. Even then the engines are "reasonably" solid as they're just Honda replicas

Yep, my dad and I changed nearly everything on the Chinese replica (Honda) Monkey I had when I was sixteen, but the engine itself was pretty good.

----

As for the Firebolt tear down, the exhaust valves were damaged when they hit the top of the cilinders, the pushrods on that side are also completely bent out of shape, the cilinder walls are ruined and, this is the worst part: unfortunately the connecting rod has significant play which means that the big end bearing is also shot. That last part means we need to split the engine cases, which is a lot more work. But we have decided to soldier on and save this Firebolt from its early demise.

I think pretty much any modern vehicle, when maintained properly, is good for at least a hundred thousand miles without too much incident

Unless it's Chinese, then you have parts falling off it after 500 miles and brake lines that ship with 90% air in them. Even then the engines are "reasonably" solid as they're just Honda replicas

My 10 year olds first bike was a chinese make, change out the oil it ships with and it's fine, I've done bugger all servicing on it and it still starts first time, every time. But then I bought a Chinese buggy that has blown gaskets so often I've lost count. But then I ran it with stock oil which I think maybe the problem, I have to strip it down and rebuild it, because when it's running it's loads of fun. And as far as road bikes go the Chinese are really catching up. Seen a few recent Hyosung vs ......... vids where the only problem was "It's great, but it's Chinese".

Dougald

Right now the Chinese are where the Japanese were in the 70s - reasonable clones of existing machines. It'll be interesting to see if they can carry on the path of the Japanese manufacturers

Watevaman

My 10 year olds first bike was a chinese make, change out the oil it ships with and it's fine, I've done bugger all servicing on it and it still starts first time, every time. But then I bought a Chinese buggy that has blown gaskets so often I've lost count. But then I ran it with stock oil which I think maybe the problem, I have to strip it down and rebuild it, because when it's running it's loads of fun. And as far as road bikes go the Chinese are really catching up. Seen a few recent Hyosung vs ......... vids where the only problem was "It's great, but it's Chinese".

Not that it invalidates any of what you said, but I think Hyosung is Korean?

I have no problem with where something is made......if it works. I'm perfectly content with buying Chinese tools and such. Not 100% sure if I'd purchase a Chinese motorcycle or even a car for that matter. It has nothing to do with the fact that they're Chinese, just how they have different safety standards and such. I also wouldn't buy a Russian car after all the videos I've seen of them disintegrating.

drz-1.jpg

drz-2.jpg

Probably wasn't the best idea ever to stay out late and end up riding it home in the dark in the rain on new tires, but got home okay.

$16/mo insurance with comprehensive, I continue to be astounded at how cheap my bikes are to insure.

Also I still can't figure out how the stupid steering lock works!

OraleeWey

Hope you have a great trip and take a few photos along the way.
Things came up and I still haven't gone. But I will take some pics along the way when I go.

I brought it to work once though, just to get a feel. 3k RPM at 70mph. That day was windy though.

But I must admit, I'm still afraid of going on the highway. Not too terribly so but the 'fraid is there. I want to get some new sprockets and a new chain. I'm not sure if I should get a bigger sprocket on the front though, I know it will help on the highway, but what is the sacrifice?

drz-1.jpg

drz-2.jpg

Probably wasn't the best idea ever to stay out late and end up riding it home in the dark in the rain on new tires, but got home okay.

$16/mo insurance with comprehensive, I continue to be astounded at how cheap my bikes are to insure.

Also I still can't figure out how the stupid steering lock works!

That's a nice bike man! Is that a Suzuki DRZ?

$16 a month? That's cheap man. I'm at $50.xx a month. I paid $609 for a year. If I pay monthly payments I'd be paying $55. But I'm under 25, so I can't wait to get to 25! My rates will drop.

Dougald

That Suzuki looks like a hooligan machine, I hope it's as fun as it looks!

But I must admit, I'm still afraid of going on the highway. Not too terribly so but the 'fraid is there. I want to get some new sprockets and a new chain. I'm not sure if I should get a bigger sprocket on the front though, I know it will help on the highway, but what is the sacrifice?

Sprockets are cheap enough, I say go for it and give it a try, you can always switch back (and it'll teach you how to swap the sprocket on your bike at the same time)

I'm under 25, so I can't wait to get to 25! My rates will drop.

Oh yeah, I think I went from £850/yr when I was 23 down to about £300 when I turned 25.

Yes, it's pretty much my "rip around the city" toy, with a dash of "second set of rims and knobbies for the trails" plans. DRZ-400SM, for poster above. First new bike I've ever owned, everything used is 3x3'd, etc., out the wazoo and I don't like rolling the dice on some kids half-assed modifications. Still in break-in period so trying to keep the engine revs down, haven't really opened it up yet.

Oh yeah, I think I went from £850/yr when I was 23 down to about £300 when I turned 25.

I'm 38 with a clean record and 20 years with the same insurance company, all my insurance is pretty dirt cheap. LIke $65/mo for my '14 WRX. Still surprised at the rate for a new bike with comp (my SV650 is like $12/mo for just liability).

OraleeWey

Sprockets are cheap enough, I say go for it and give it a try, you can always switch back (and it'll teach you how to swap the sprocket on your bike at the same time)

You're right about the sprocket. Totally right.

And yeah, I'm 23 now, just a year and some change left for those rates to go down.

I was already thinking of getting another bike, mind you it won't be for a very, very long time. I like the CBR100RR. Or maybe a Kawasaki Ninja 1000. However, still ways off so who knows what will be available then. Maybe I'll end up with a Harley?

On a side note, every motorcycle encounter I've had ends up with them acknowledging me. They'll wave, or whatever, but never the Harley Davidson guys.

They'll do this:

motorcycle-wave-1.jpg

Editing for clarification, everyone will wave like the picture above except the Harley Davidson guys.

Dougald

Harley guys in the UK do the same, but that's because the blokes on the big Harleys are generally midlife crisis dudes who don't ride much. I've noticed the younger guys on the smaller bikes are a lot friendlier. If you're on 2 wheels you're good in my book, no matter the brand or style

Makki

Harley guys in the UK do the same, but that's because the blokes on the big Harleys are generally midlife crisis dudes who don't ride much. I've noticed the younger guys on the smaller bikes are a lot friendlier. If you're on 2 wheels you're good in my book, no matter the brand or style

At least here in Florida its easier to discern the weekend warriors from the non douche ones by who's wearing a helmet and who's not. I pretty often get waved by geared cruiser riders even though I ride a fireblade.

Watevaman

Been pondering more and more about leaving the street bike and switching to dirt/trail only. I haven't been riding long (5 years now?), but I think my two lowsides tweaked something in my head that I just can't shake. Even while riding the ZRX, I get more fear and hesitation than I do that feeling of joy that I used to.

I don't think there's anyone here that's left riding, maybe with the exception of thesoapster, who IIRC was gonna do track only from now on. I can't afford to do track only and while I wouldn't be leaving the street completely if I got something like the TW, I'd probably see it a lot less.

Talk me out of it GAF.

OraleeWey

Been pondering more and more about leaving the street bike and switching to dirt/trail only. I haven't been riding long (5 years now?), but I think my two lowsides tweaked something in my head that I just can't shake. Even while riding the ZRX, I get more fear and hesitation than I do that feeling of joy that I used to.

I don't think there's anyone here that's left riding, maybe with the exception of thesoapster, who IIRC was gonna do track only from now on. I can't afford to do track only and while I wouldn't be leaving the street completely if I got something like the TW, I'd probably see it a lot less.

Talk me out of it GAF.

Why not both? I'm talking dual sport. Take it off road, take it to the trails, or take it to the streets when you need to.

Dougald

Is it the bike? I know that clearly it's not *actually* the bike, but psychologically it might be turning you off a bit, knowing you've been over on it.

Watevaman

Why not both? I'm talking dual sport. Take it off road, take it to the trails, or take it to the streets when you need to.

Well, I want to get a little TW200, which is a dual sport. But being small displacement, it'd be tough to take it on the streets in a lot of places due to the low top speed. I love the TW and while I have and will continue to look at other dualsports, it seems that most of them are pricier or just not what I want. The TW is a trail bike through and through, whereas most dualsports seem to be dirt bikes with lights.

Is it the bike? I know that clearly it's not *actually* the bike, but psychologically it might be turning you off a bit, knowing you've been over on it.

I don't know. Before I do anything rash, I'm going to be taking out some of my friends motorcycles and seeing if it's just me or what. I know I've complained a lot about the ZRX but it might be coming down to me never feeling comfortable on it in the sense that I was on the GS. Maybe it's the heavier weight, maybe it's the awesome paint job I don't want to mess up, who knows. My friend who owns an 09 Daytona has been trying to talk me into an older Speed Triple, as its comparable in terms of power/torque to the rex but a lot lighter. I'd personally love to get a Honda Hornet, preferably the 919 as it's fuel injected, because I enjoyed my friend's 599 that he had. And then there's the part of me that just wants to pick up another 500...

OraleeWey

Have you guys ever stumbled upon Mulholland Highway crashes on YouTube? It's in California.

Among the many motorcyclists that crash there... cars do too. It's mostly bikers though. According to the uploader, there have been 80 crashes there for the past four years since Nov 6, 2013:
Click this link To watch all 80 crashes captured over the past four years.
That's probably what he recorded too, there may have been more.
It's just people who push their vehicle beyond their limits.
Not to be rambling but the point I'm trying to make is that I think this road is a threat to the safety of motorcyclist and I think it should be closed. Bicyclists aren't safe there either.

Flo_Evans

Have you guys ever stumbled upon Mulholland Highway crashes on YouTube? It's in California.

Among the many motorcyclists that crash there... cars do too. It's mostly bikers though. According to the uploader, there have been 80 crashes there for the past four years since Nov 6, 2013:
That's probably what he recorded too, there may have been more.
It's just people who push their vehicle beyond their limits.
Not to be rambling but the point I'm trying to make is that I think this road is a threat to the safety of motorcyclist and I think it should be closed. Bicyclists aren't safe there either.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree... There is nothing inherently dangerous about the road, if anything tiered licenses euro style would be a better solution.

Evo X

Mulholland is fine, I just drove there a couple of weeks ago. It's the assholes who overestimate their own abilities and vehicles capabilities that get in trouble.

You're right about the sprocket. Totally right.

And yeah, I'm 23 now, just a year and some change left for those rates to go down.

I was already thinking of getting another bike, mind you it won't be for a very, very long time. I like the CBR100RR. Or maybe a Kawasaki Ninja 1000. However, still ways off so who knows what will be available then. Maybe I'll end up with a Harley?

On a side note, every motorcycle encounter I've had ends up with them acknowledging me. They'll wave, or whatever, but never the Harley Davidson guys.

They'll do this:

motorcycle-wave-1.jpg

Editing for clarification, everyone will wave like the picture above except the Harley Davidson guys.
I ride a Harley every single day and I wave at everyone on two wheels. =D

I've ridden that stretch of Mulholland on 5 different bikes (including a goldwing) there's nothing special about it. All the wrecks end up happening because people force themselves into trying to drag a knee or elbow and end up high siding / low siding.

Dougald

Yes, peer pressure to ride beyond your limits and an easy licensing system makes for that sort of thing. Especially when the average road in the US is a nice straight multi lane affair.

There are a lot of spectator accidents during the TT for the same reason, people going way beyond their limit.

Also I still can't figure out how the stupid steering lock works![/QUOTE]

If your DRZ is anything like my DR650 then you point the front wheel all the way to the left, then push the key down as you turn the key left. You will probably need to wiggle things till it locks. Careful, there is a key position beyond "lock" that will leave lights on and kill your battery if you are not looking.

If your DRZ is anything like my DR650 then you point the front wheel all the way to the left, then push the key down as you turn the key left. You will probably need to wiggle things till it locks. Careful, there is a key position beyond "lock" that will leave lights on and kill your battery if you are not looking.

That sounds like how my SV650 works, e.g the fork lock is part of the ignition. On the DRZ400 the fork lock is on the fork column and uses a separate key. Supposedly you turn CCW, push in, then turn CW and pull out, but I'll be damned if I can get it to work. Not that bike theft is a big thing in Maine, just more annoyed than anything. I'll bug the dealer.

Talk me out of it GAF.

I'm considering it, yeah. I don't know. I'll probably try street riding again after the move...whenever that ends up being. I can't afford track right now, either, but I'll be changing jobs.

Top Bottom