• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Bitchfit of the day for the ZRX: newer, bigger bike = more expensive. I really should have done more research as to what stuff cost for the bike, because it feels like I could go back and buy another GS500 and I could make up the cost simply by not buying stuff for the ZRX. Whereas a valve adjustment on the GS500 was $30 for the parts I needed, it's gonna be near $200 for my first one on the ZRX and I can't even afford that right now. I'm not dumb, I knew it was generally gonna be more expensive to own especially compared to the GS500 but man, I'm hating it in my current financial situation. And it's also not just the valve adjustment, everything that adds to the bike is so much more such as fork braces, used parts, etc.

I think I'm gonna keep an eye out for a Ninja 250 or a TW200 on CL. Either that or buy a Grom when I can afford some payments. Sorry for the ramble.

Watevaman

Ok, I may have exaggerated a bit, but that's because I'm going to flush the coolant while I'm doing the valves too. Here's the charges that I know of:

Gaskets: $100
Shim kit (yeah, I don't need the whole kit but it's worth it): $60
Coolant: $5
Coolant hoses: $40+

And then while I'm in there I might change out some air channel plugs to prevent pulling oil into the exhaust and those plugs are $20.

As I said, I think I'm just whining because I'm poor right now. I also half regret buying the ZRX as I'm still, after 6k miles on it, not as comfortable as I was on the GS. It also doesn't help that my wants have changed a bit; living in the mountains now, I want a bike that I 1) can take offroad on some of the awesome trails and 2) that I'm not afraid to drop as much.

Dougald

Those gaskets are pricey though, yeesh

It is a never ending money sink though I'll give you that. My only advice if you don't like spending money on parts is to run far, far, far away from Triumph ;-)

Watevaman

Now I've got myself watching TW200 videos. I had one in my MSF course and I really liked it. Super lightweight, nice fat rear tire, a bit slow but geared great for offroad use. Now all I have to do is wait for one to pop up on CL and hope I've got enough money to buy it.

Dougald

Well you know what they say, it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. It would definitely handle that gravel a lot better

Makki

Ok, I may have exaggerated a bit, but that's because I'm going to flush the coolant while I'm doing the valves too. Here's the charges that I know of:

Gaskets: $100
Shim kit (yeah, I don't need the whole kit but it's worth it): $60
Coolant: $5
Coolant hoses: $40+

And then while I'm in there I might change out some air channel plugs to prevent pulling oil into the exhaust and those plugs are $20.

As I said, I think I'm just whining because I'm poor right now. I also half regret buying the ZRX as I'm still, after 6k miles on it, not as comfortable as I was on the GS. It also doesn't help that my wants have changed a bit; living in the mountains now, I want a bike that I 1) can take offroad on some of the awesome trails and 2) that I'm not afraid to drop as much.

I would have loved to take the ZRX off of your hands if you lived down south! If you want trails maybe you could get an old KLR to supplement your ZRX. A GS will never carve turns like that awesome naked.

Well you know what they say, it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

That is such a true statement. All the power but no where to use it.

So I decided to throw a 1250 cc Kit into my harley and change the cams / carb. I know a 1200 dirt bike should be more than enough but now that I'm getting more and more comfortable with hitting sand and trails I want to really tear into it. Plus I'm going to Utah in May and setting the RPM / HP / Torque higher will def be way more fun. Bike is sitting at 65 HP currently. Hopefully with the upgrades ill be at around the mid 90s.

DxYOAA1.jpg

So I decided to throw a 1250 cc Kit into my harley and change the cams / carb. I know a 1200 dirt bike should be more than enough but now that I'm getting more and more comfortable with hitting sand and trails I want to really tear into it. Plus I'm going to Utah in May and setting the RPM / HP / Torque higher will def be way more fun. Bike is sitting at 65 HP currently. Hopefully with the upgrades ill be at around the mid 90s.

oooh that must sound awesome. Bike is looking great

Good stuff! My X1 is very fast indeed with the 1250cc kit fitted. What brand/manufacturer are you going with? I got mine from Hammer Performance.

Nice Firebolt, good luck with it.

Thanks! We'll need it :).

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/ride-review-the-2016-harley-davidson-low-rider-s-is-th-1763432064

Review of the bike I want makes it even harder to not jump on it. That air filter is fuck ugly though.

Yeah, I actually do like that a lot.

Good stuff! My X1 is very fast indeed with the 1250cc kit fitted. What brand/manufacturer are you going with? I got mine from Hammer Performance.

Going with S&S. My friend that helping me gets a really great discount with them. I've read that hammer is better in certain aspects but I'm pretty sure I'm going with s&s. How big is the difference? I've heard that you feel it more in the higher RPM?

Going with S&S. My friend that helping me gets a really great discount with them. I've read that hammer is better in certain aspects but I'm pretty sure I'm going with s&s. How big is the difference? I've heard that you feel it more in the higher RPM?

Yeah, S&S no doubt make a great product. As for my own kit, the difference felt pretty big (butt dyno) and it does seem to have more power for longer, yes. If I'm getting my shifts right, I can manage to keep up with my buddy's Speed Triple (on a 0-70 mph sprint).

Gritesh

So

I dunno if this is mistake or not but I did a thing yesterday.

20160314_123437_zpsxohhtjar.jpg

I got a 2015 model with heated grips and akrapovic exhaust system included for 15500, they sell new without those accessories for 17999 locally.

I plan to add hand protectors to break the wind and help with the heated grips and a small windscreen.

Eventually I'll get the side cases.

After so much deliberation this bike seemed like the perfect hooligan machine that I can also dress up for touring with all day comfort.

Here's hoping I made the right choice.

Dougald

Jealous. I was lusting after one of those at the KTM dealership where we bought the R1150R. Easily my favourite bike in the supernaked class

So

I dunno if this is mistake or not but I did a thing yesterday.

20160314_123437_zpsxohhtjar.jpg

I got a 2015 model with heated grips and akrapovic exhaust system included for 15500, they sell new without those accessories for 17999 locally.

I plan to add hand protectors to break the wind and help with the heated grips and a small windscreen.

Eventually I'll get the side cases.

After so much deliberation this bike seemed like the perfect hooligan machine that I can also dress up for touring with all day comfort.

Here's hoping I made the right choice.

Grats man, that thing is a proper beast... and with that can on it sounds sweet

RJ had the full Akra Evo 2 system on his KTM, but later swapped the Akra end can for an Austin racing one

His bikes are a little too loud for me, but you can't deny they sound great.
He always removes the baffles though. With those in they'd be a lot less obnoxious.

Speaking of which I'll be ordering the "quiet baffles" for my Harley Iron with short shots later this month. And the V&H tuner because I'm convinced my dealer hasn't tuned it properly and want to do the auto tuning.

Dougald

He always removes the baffles though. With those in they'd be a lot less obnoxious.

Yeah, I always find removing the baffles changes an aftermarket exhaust from "nicer bass note" to "pissing off your neighbours"

Of course, I like my bikes bare stock, so I can't bring myself to swap the exhausts around. The street legal Remus on the BMW is very nice without being obnoxious though.

Speaking of which I'll be ordering the "quiet baffles" for my Harley Iron with short shots later this month. And the V&H tuner because I'm convinced my dealer hasn't tuned it properly and want to do the auto tuning.

Good man! As someone living right next to a Harley Dealership, I hear everything from nice bassy exhausts, to "rusty cement mixer" sounding straight pipes. Harleys sound awful when you just go for volume, but can sound fantastic with a bit of care.

OraleeWey

I drove 30 miles today without many issues... Just stalled once...

Anyway, in those 30 miles someone thought I was racing them when I was trying to get away from them because they were tailgating. On another instance someone entered my right of way...

Despite this, it was super fun. Now I know what they mean when they say you're "free".

I'm going to try to figure out a way to install my GoPro on my helmet then I'm going to watch some Netflix. :)

Anyway, in those 30 miles someone thought I was racing them when I was trying to get away from them because they were tailgating. On another instance someone entered my right of way...

Despite this, it was super fun. Now I know what they mean when they say you're "free".

I'm going to try to figure out a way to install my GoPro on my helmet then I'm going to watch some Netflix. :)

Have a great evening. Watch some Mr Robot on Netflix.

BubbaMc

Has anyone ridden the BMW K1600GT? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thinking of selling my 2013 Multistrada to buy one. I can't stand the active suspension on the Ducati and I've finally had enough.

Dougald

What don't you like about the active suspension on the Ducati, out of interest? It's the top bike on my list to buy next, so I'd appreciate your thoughts

I haven't ridden the K1600GT but by all accounts its a fantastic bike with a wonderful engine

Get used to people treating you like you're invisible. A lot of the time it isn't their fault, though - best advice is, never assume anyone can see you... and have fun!

OraleeWey

Have a great evening. Watch some Mr Robot on Netflix.
Thanks for the suggestion. I would have watched it but it isn't on US Netflix.
Get used to people treating you like you're invisible. A lot of the time it isn't their fault, though - best advice is, never assume anyone can see you... and have fun!

Probably the most important advice.

Keep an eye out for other people. Cause they are not looking out for you.

Good advice. It's true. Here's a little encounter I had today, Video. The video cut off a little short, but he got a little closer, noticed me, slowed down, and I went closer to the yellow line and passed him. I guess I better get used to this. This is why I use a GoPro btw!

Haha man if I had a camera recording my daily commute people would shit themselves. I avoid around 3-4 accidents DAILY on my way to work Monday - Friday. People merging without signaling, cutting into the carpool lane across 3 lanes, slamming on their breaks and swerving because they are too busy looking at their phones. Los Angeles is a death trap if you don't pay really close attention. But we do get the pleasure of splitting lanes / using carpool lane and taking toll roads for free.

Good advice. It's true. Here's a little encounter I had today, Video. The video cut off a little short, but he got a little closer, noticed me, slowed down, and I went closer to the yellow line and passed him. I guess I better get used to this. This is why I use a GoPro btw!

Yeah, though you knew he was gonna do just that :p

Rizific

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have watched it but it isn't on US Netflix.

jesus, that asshole passed right by you in the other lane. how could he/she have NOT seen you. incredible. i also need to get a gopro. the gopro hero session seems to have tanked in price and is the one im considering. any other considerations? i like the profile of the contours as well, anything small and less obstructive is what im looking for.

OraleeWey

jesus, that asshole passed right by you in the other lane. how could he/she have NOT seen you. incredible. i also need to get a gopro. the gopro hero session seems to have tanked in price and is the one im considering. any other considerations? i like the profile of the contours as well, anything small and less obstructive is what im looking for.

The Hero4 Session is a perfect camera for mounting it to your helmet. It is small and light.
There are 2 reasons why I didn't get that camera though. One, the image quality isn't as good as other GoPro's. The other reason is that I already had some accessories for the original shaped camera, so it was a no brainer buying the Hero4 Silver. Good thing the Session can record 1080p@60fps or 1440p@30fps though. If you're really looking for a small and light camera the Hero4 Session should do just fine. If not, go to the used market and get a Hero4 Silver or Hero3 Silver.

Haha man if I had a camera recording my daily commute people would shit themselves. I avoid around 3-4 accidents DAILY on my way to work Monday - Friday. People merging without signaling, cutting into the carpool lane across 3 lanes, slamming on their breaks and swerving because they are too busy looking at their phones. Los Angeles is a death trap if you don't pay really close attention. But we do get the pleasure of splitting lanes / using carpool lane and taking toll roads for free.
At least you can lane split in LA! I would love to be able to.

Dougald

For those of us in the UK, Aldi are selling bike gear this Sunday. Usual tat, but there is going to be a CE approved leather jacket for £99.99 which might be worth a look.

At least you can lane split in LA! I would love to be able to.

Filtering is so ingrained in British traffic I can't imagine having to sit in a pile of cars, making the roads worse for everyone else

OraleeWey

For those of us in the UK, Aldi are selling bike gear this Sunday. Usual tat, but there is going to be a CE approved leather jacket for £99.99 which might be worth a look.

Filtering is so ingrained in British traffic I can't imagine having to sit in a pile of cars, making the roads worse for everyone else
You're British? Cool man.

I just want to say I'm much more comfortable on my motorcycle. I'm not stalling anymore(only happened 3x), I can keep moving on traffic, etc. A great amount of improvement over just 3 weeks. I went on the highway today, the KLR650 can definitely do it but it tends to vibrate a lot under those speeds. I don't think I'll be using it to get to work which is a shame. I need to be able to reach 70mph. The KLR650 definitely can do it, but like I said, vibrates a lot. Feels like the engine will blow up and my butt will be the first to go! I think I'm going to be sad when I get back in my car. The bike is just so much fun. I think for a starter bike, it perfect. Especially considering that I can get anything I need within a 10-15 mile radius, so I can avoid the highway if I really need to. I'm already thinking of getting a sports bike, but this is something that will happen WAY, WAY in the future. However, I definitely will own a sports bike, along side my KLR650.

Dougald

You're British? Cool man.

There has to be a reason I keep moaning about Triumphs but still buy them!

I just want to say I'm much more comfortable on my motorcycle. I'm not stalling anymore(only happened 3x), I can keep moving on traffic, etc. A great amount of improvement over just 3 weeks. I went on the highway today, the KLR650 can definitely do it but it tends to vibrate a lot under those speeds. I don't think I'll be using it to get to work which is a shame. I need to be able to reach 70mph. The KLR650 definitely can do it, but like I said, vibrates a lot. Feels like the engine will blow up and my butt will be the first to go! I think I'm going to be sad when I get back in my car. The bike is just so much fun. I think for a starter bike, it perfect. Especially considering that I can get anything I need within a 10-15 mile radius, so I can avoid the highway if I really need to. I'm already thinking of getting a sports bike, but this is something that will happen WAY, WAY in the future. However, I definitely will own a sports bike, along side my KLR650.

Yeah, that big single cylinder won't be great for sustained highway speeds, but you can always upgrade to something like a GS or Triumph Tiger if you want to keep the same style of bike. Or just get another one! Glad to hear you are enjoying the KLR though, it always seemed like a great no-nonsense machine to get started with, without doing the whole 125cc or 250cc thing.

The correct number of motorcycles to own is always N+1, where N is the number of motorcycles you already have.

Rode the 2016 Speed Triple R today and man what a fantastic bike! Smooth, stable, turns so easily, loads of power all across the range, surprisingly comfortable (I'd say less weight on my wrists than the R1200RS). The shape around the front of the seat and the tank is super nice - almost feels like you slot into the bike. I would definitely upgrade to get the quick shifter (surprised the R doesn't come with it tbh).

Wind was less of an issue than I thought it would be, but I'd add a screen if I was going more than a couple of hours on the motorway.

Only slight issue I had was the back brake felt really squishy and had to get to bite. But I expect that may just need some adjustment in the pedal to bite earlier. Also a very faint vibration through the bars at ~4k rpm. Not bad but I noticed it and it made the mirrors slightly blurry. Aside from that the mirrors were very effective.

Anyway, requisite picture with a bonus picture of a 2 of a kind Street Triple Rx with custom lime green paint.

BubbaMc

What don't you like about the active suspension on the Ducati, out of interest? It's the top bike on my list to buy next, so I'd appreciate your thoughts

For the 2013/2014 model: Sports and Touring modes are way too harsh, even with the damping dialed down as low as it will go. Urban is bearable, unless you're riding on ordinary country roads, in which case the ride is too harsh also.

Ducati obviously recognised this which is why the suspension system on the current model has been completely revised.

If I was to buy another Multi, I'd get the 2010 - 2012 S model. Ohlins suspension on that bike is very good. This is the model that convinced me to purchase a Multi in the first place, that's the one I should have bought.

I went on the highway today, the KLR650 can definitely do it but it tends to vibrate a lot under those speeds. I don't think I'll be using it to get to work which is a shame. I need to be able to reach 70mph. The KLR650 definitely can do it, but like I said, vibrates a lot. Feels like the engine will blow up and my butt will be the first to go! I think I'm going to be sad when I get back in my car.

If you find your self riding it on the highways a lot then consider changing your sprockets for a higher/taller gearing. It will be a little harder to ride in the dirt but 60+ mph will be tons better.

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klr650.html#drivetrain

Dougald

For the 2013/2014 model: Sports and Touring modes are way too harsh, even with the damping dialed down as low as it will go. Urban is bearable, unless you're riding on ordinary country roads, in which case the ride is too harsh also.

Ducati obviously recognised this which is why the suspension system on the current model has been completely revised.

If I was to buy another Multi, I'd get the 2010 - 2012 S model. Ohlins suspension on that bike is very good. This is the model that convinced me to purchase a Multi in the first place, that's the one I should have bought.

Thanks for your thoughts - the 2010-2012 S is actually what I was probably looking at getting, but it's good to know that when it officially became Skyhook the suspension changed so much. I generally prefer a slightly softer suspension setup, so that's useful info

Actually, I'd prefer a revised 2015 or 2016 multistrada, but stupid things like 'budget' and 'mortgage payments' make that unlikely

Suspension on the XB12X is actually rather incredible. It can even out the most massive of speed bumps without losing the ability to remain stable through fast corners.

Rode the 2016 Speed Triple R today and man what a fantastic bike! Smooth, stable, turns so easily, loads of power all across the range, surprisingly comfortable (I'd say less weight on my wrists than the R1200RS). The shape around the front of the seat and the tank is super nice - almost feels like you slot into the bike. I would definitely upgrade to get the quick shifter (surprised the R doesn't come with it tbh).

Wind was less of an issue than I thought it would be, but I'd add a screen if I was going more than a couple of hours on the motorway.

Only slight issue I had was the back brake felt really squishy and had to get to bite. But I expect that may just need some adjustment in the pedal to bite earlier. Also a very faint vibration through the bars at ~4k rpm. Not bad but I noticed it and it made the mirrors slightly blurry. Aside from that the mirrors were very effective.

Anyway, requisite picture with a bonus picture of a 2 of a kind Street Triple Rx with custom lime green paint.

Great thank you for the feedback. The new Speed Triple is a damn nice bike and I have some dealers close by. Will have to check it out when bike hunting season starts. I did have a sit on the BMW RS and its too much of a stretch for me. I am sitting in traffic most of the time so its a no no. On the open road it would be great.

I had also a sit on a XR and man I can think if you like the GS riding style in a bike that can do track days and cover loads of miles and sounds like a racing bike... very nice

Top Bottom