• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I reckon if you're desperate the way to go is just run an eBay auction with the reserve set to your part exchange value. Less stress.

Dougald

Yeah, it's in such decent condition that I've taken a "don't really care if I sell it" approach. If I don't get any decent offers I'll just keep it another season.

The BMW is currently in pieces in the garage as I'm in the process of cleaning the air filter. I think the previous owner thought that buying a K&N filter was enough and that he didn't need to wash it, because it was FILTHY. Should add a few more horses once that's done.

My bike need to go in for a service the end of the month. I am going to see if I can get a XR for the loan bike. I am really keen to ride this bike.

Hope you get the BMW back together in one piece.

Dougald

That XR looks like the perfect bike to do anything on, apart from looks! Supposed to beat the Multistrada in pretty much every category. The R1150 will be back together tonight, then apart again on Saturday for the valve clearances and oil change.

How would you recommend the K1300S? I wouldn't mind one of those, or maybe the K1300R, to replace the Triumph.

That XR looks like the perfect bike to do anything on, apart from looks! Supposed to beat the Multistrada in pretty much every category. The R1150 will be back together tonight, then apart again on Saturday for the valve clearances and oil change.

How would you recommend the K1300S? I wouldn't mind one of those, or maybe the K1300R, to replace the Triumph.

I had the K1300s and its a great bike. Its bike and its like a rocket ship. The engine and the quickshifter is spot on and you can pretty much outrun anything on the road. The only reason I sold the bike is I dont get to use all that power. If I had time to go to the track and give it a good old lashing it would be worth while. Its really comfortable for the pillion as my wife was comparing it to the RT and GS. She was happy on the back. But she does get more wind as she sits higher. I also find a bit of pressure on my wrists in slow moving traffic but as soon as you get going and the wind push you back its gone.

The faring is great, so is the heated grips and the electronic rider modes. More that most normal rider would ever use.

The K1300r is the same feel just naked. If I was looking at the K1300r I would also look at the S1000r just because you get a more optimized package. Lighter and more manageable.

The only cons I found on the K1300s was all that power and I dont get time to use it lol.

Shout if you have any other questions

Dougald

Cheers, to be honest it does seem a little overkill for the road, but I'd like something I can track as I'll potentially going to Spain for a trackday this year or next

Of course there's nothing stoppping me from tracking a Monster 1100S, but that's more a "filter through city traffic" bike to the BMWs "ride all the way to the Alps". Just depends what I want to do, I think. At least the K1300 has panniers, though they look tiny. Or maybe a perfect condition Buell Ulysses will come up for sale and I can get that instead.

Cheers, to be honest it does seem a little overkill for the road, but I'd like something I can track as I'll potentially going to Spain for a trackday this year or next

Of course there's nothing stoppping me from tracking a Monster 1100S, but that's more a "filter through city traffic" bike to the BMWs "ride all the way to the Alps". Just depends what I want to do, I think. At least the K1300 has panniers, though they look tiny. Or maybe a perfect condition Buell Ulysses will come up for sale and I can get that instead.

You can say that again. The K1300s is a mile eater and you will really enjoy it. The open road is where its happy. City traffic its fine but I feel its like hurting the bikes potential. the panniers has allot of space and you can add a top box if you want. Also one thing that impressed me is the high speed stability. Its like its on a rail. What about the S1000r with a little touring screen? Or dont you like the look of the front?

You cannot go wrong with any of the two. Its just a choice about how much protection you would like. The full fairing make a longer trip just so much nicer

Et9Vm3T.jpg

xiDJN8C.jpg

Raining and 6C on the ride in this morning, eesh.

I'm surprised the K1300S' posture is suitable for long touring but reading around it seems quite common as a sport touring configuration (assuming you don't mind the constant tickets it reportedly draws in the US). I really should take some longer trips one of these days but the naked SV doesn't make me want to spend a lot of time on the highway. Good excuse to buy a DL1000 next year.

Dougald

I've found that riding position is very comfortable, but only at speed (over 40mph). It's a pig around town and makes my hands want to drop off

Having had my insurance through for the Street Triple (£120 for the year), I suspect that the BMW might be a heck of a lot higher. I was quoted almost £500 for a Multistrada.

I've found that riding position is very comfortable, but only at speed (over 40mph). It's a pig around town and makes my hands want to drop off

Having had my insurance through for the Street Triple (£120 for the year), I suspect that the BMW might be a heck of a lot higher. I was quoted almost £500 for a Multistrada.

Oh yes, its going to be higher than 120 notes. But then you are going to be riding a solid fuel motor rocket ship that can roll the tar up behind you. That bike should have come with velcro seat and handelbars lol

Dougald

I'm actually hoping that I don't sell the bike until the 26th, as then I'll have 5 years NCB which seems to be worth at least 10% off my policy quotes.

With the "quality" of offers I've had on the bike so far I suspect that won't be a problem

I'm actually hoping that I don't sell the bike until the 26th, as then I'll have 5 years NCB which seems to be worth at least 10% off my policy quotes.

With the "quality" of offers I've had on the bike so far I suspect that won't be a problem

Great stuff, another few notes about the K1300s, the gel seat make a huge difference for long rides. The fuel economy is also not that bad... think I was getting 45mpg constant in slow town traffic.

Dougald

I do think however, in terms of fun (within the slightly more legal limits), you just can't beat a twin.

Damn the lack of Ulysses' in the UK, I'd love to go see one.

I do think I'm gravitating a bit more towards a Monster/Streetfighter... but think I'd better go out to some dealerships and have a look at both before I decide anything. A decent enough Monster 1100S is also vastly cheaper.

Streetfighter would be a great pick as well, though different in the sense that it offers a higher rev ceiling. Felt like quite a bit more than the 1100. Makes it a bit more refined than the 'big fat gobs of torque' sensation you get on the 1100. I would compare the (848) Streetfighter to a 998 except a much, much more comfortable one. One other benefit I noticed during a test ride on the 848 SF is that it seemed to reach operating temperatures a lot sooner than the air cooled 1100. Downside of the water cooled 4 valve setup might be higher maintenance costs.

Damn the lack of Ulysses' in the UK, I'd love to go see one.

I do think I'm gravitating a bit more towards a Monster/Streetfighter... but think I'd better go out to some dealerships and have a look at both before I decide anything. A decent enough Monster 1100S is also vastly cheaper.

Personally I would go and ride the bikes before you hand over the cash. It looks like you have a short list now its just to get some time to go for at least an hours test ride on each.

That's good news, I know the obsession that something's wrong with your new bike all too well so glad it doesn't seem to be a problem

Yeah, right now for me I'm trying to figure out/acclimiate to what weird slightly vibrate-y noises in the engine and fairing bits on the DRZ are normal or exceptional. Compared to the smooth power delivery of the SV650, the DRZ's engine is full of burps and other odd bits. Fun fun fun.

Watevaman

Yeah, right now for me I'm trying to figure out/acclimiate to what weird slightly vibrate-y noises in the engine and fairing bits on the DRZ are normal or exceptional. Compared to the smooth power delivery of the SV650, the DRZ's engine is full of burps and other odd bits. Fun fun fun.

The DRZ is a single, right? Those are bound to be vibey.

Dougald

I can only imagine how paranoid I'll be about noises for a few months if I end up getting the Monster 1100 with the dry clutch....

Could be thanks to the Termignoni exhausts I had, but considering the fact it's an air cooled engine, I actually heard very little in terms of mechanical noise coming from the 1100. The clutch being pretty much the only thing - also sounds really cool imho. Other than that, nothing but glorious exhaust note, haha.

Dougald

How is the heat on the older 1100 models with the underseat exhaust? I'm assuming the engine is scalding hot being air cooled.

Sitting on the Street Triples exhaust and overflow coolant tank in the summer is not really a comfortable experience.

I don't remember it ever bothering me to be honest. There's some heat coming from the engine (and I think little to nothing from the exhaust). But it's much more noticeable on the Ulysses with that heat coming off the rear cylinder (placed directly underneath you). Very pleasant on colder days, but you had best keep moving in the summer sun. Makes me wonder how the rear cylinder on the 1100 is kept cool, because it's even more packed in and there's no assistance from a fan (like on the Uly). Never had any problems though (temp gauge always showed normal levels and very little personal discomfort except for the warmest of days, but even then, it was mostly alright).

Dougald

That's good. The Triumph gets unbearably hot at slow speeds (<40mph) as soon as it gets over about 28C, mostly due to the coolant overflow bottle being directly underneath the seat, which is itself above the exhaust. Stupid design.

I'm sure the engine gets pretty warm on the monster, but I never remember my Bonneville bothering me much except when I was stopped at traffic lights. Heck, I was riding in a ~40C french heatwave and it ran like a champ.

Looking great! I imagine the belt drive isn't great for off road use, hence the chain conversion?

Belt isn't bad for dirt since most newer belts are Kevlar and a mix of pretty strong material. My reasoning for it is just based on trying to get to 100+ HP. I've read a lot of instances of people snapping belts due to torque. Not that I'm at +100 HP yet but I plan on getting there within a few months

Dougald

BMW do a great job of making it easy for you to do the valve clearances on the 1150, took me 4 hours but that's because I was taking my time.

Unfortunately they use a stupid hex key type bolt for the sump, and it had rusted. Even with a brand new bit I damn near stripped the thing getting it off. I knew I should have ordered a new one when I bought the oil...

Evening, motogaf. Question about gearing choices.

On my old ninja 250, for sharp/slow-ish turns (such as at an intersection) I would always be in 2nd gear and was in a good part of the rev range.

On my SV650 now, I find that for the same corner 2nd gear is a bit tall, i.e. I feel like I'm about to bog it down a bit if I ignore the clutch.

So should I feather the clutch and stay in 2nd gear for the turn, or drop it down to 1st and deal with the extra sensitive throttle? I'm not sure how fast the turns are, maybe 20 mph ish. Thanks!

Evening, motogaf. Question about gearing choices.

On my old ninja 250, for sharp/slow-ish turns (such as at an intersection) I would always be in 2nd gear and was in a good part of the rev range.

On my SV650 now, I find that for the same corner 2nd gear is a bit tall, i.e. I feel like I'm about to bog it down a bit if I ignore the clutch.

So should I feather the clutch and stay in 2nd gear for the turn, or drop it down to 1st and deal with the extra sensitive throttle? I'm not sure how fast the turns are, maybe 20 mph ish. Thanks!
I generally use the higher gear and feather the clutch. I feel I have more control that way (less sensitive throttle lower in rev range). Whether that's "right" or not I don't know but works for me and I'm more comfortable with it.

Looks fantastic. Have you taken one for a test ride? No, not mad at all. :p Though I covet the street triple more.

Thanks for the response above too, by the way. ^^
Yes that's a photo from my test ride. Comfortable, smooth, pulls like crazy, very well finished. Shame the R doesn't have a quickshifter as standard but easily added (only for up shifts tho).

New street triple planned for 2017 by all accounts moving to an 800 triple with potential 4 model range
- standard
- R
- RT (with some touring bits)
- RS (high spec sports equipment)

But I need/want something now and love the speedy

Dougald

so this happened yesterday:

The bike is insane!

Beautiful. I hope you're very happy with it, how is the riding position? It looks quite relaxed.

Just about to pull the trigger and put a deposit down on this awesome bike with a stupid number of accessories. Am I mad?

Good man, is it the new one, or a recent used bike? Some people say that the Speed is a bit long in the tooth but I think think it can compete with any supernaked out there, beautiful bike and the triple engine is intoxicating. The quickshifter is great fun, though I don't have one on my Street Triple, and I've never had a problem doing clutchless shifts on the odd occasion that I want to.

Unless you fancy a totally reasonably priced Street Triple I know of for sale...

Top Bottom