• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I'm not sure cluttering the lineup is healthy for the sales.

Yes, and how many "touring" bikes do Triumph have now? Trophy, Sprint, Tiger Sport, Tiger Explorer, Tiger 800 Xwhateveritscalledthismonth...

Plus they don't seem to have anything at all for A2 license holders. I know you can order the secret A2-restrictable Street Triple direct from the factory, but when the new rules come in there will be nothing. That's not going to win them any new fans in the under 25 crowd. You can't even really argue that they're a premium brand, because both Ducati and BMW have A2 bikes.

GONZO

Thanks for the compliments guys. The position is a little more aggressive than my Brutale 800 but it's worlds more stable and the fueling is dead solid perfect.

Just about to pull the trigger and put a deposit down on this awesome bike with a stupid number of accessories. Am I mad?

wow you must be happy that all the searching is coming to an end. Looks like and it is rated as the best naked out there for a few year running (UK). Hope you get it soon as summer is on its way.

wow you must be happy that all the searching is coming to an end. Looks like and it is rated as the best naked out there for a few year running (UK). Hope you get it soon as summer is on its way.
Yep I'm happy with the decision. I'll put the deposit down this week but delivery would be June. But unfortunate as I expect to be off work for May but I've still got the Harley for some good day trips.

My bike is going in for a service end of the month so all booked in. Also managed to get a S1000XR test ride booked for the time they are servicing my bike. Looking forward to it. The sales guy was very excited and said to me that the XR is going on a really good deal. I said to him if he can swap the bikes without me paying more we might have a deal hahaha Sales guys are funny

Dougald

My wife is after a Street Triple if you want to DM me the details (year, mileage, price). Although she's partly set on the Rx I'm sure if it was a good deal she'd be keen.

I'll pm you the classified (along with a "real" price), but I suspect if she wants an Rx, she won't want a ~6 year old model with the
superior
old headlights

I'm a bit jealous of that new Speed Triple, it looked awesome when I saw it at the motorcycle show.

My bike is going in for a service end of the month so all booked in. Also managed to get a S1000XR test ride booked for the time they are servicing my bike. Looking forward to it. The sales guy was very excited and said to me that the XR is going on a really good deal. I said to him if he can swap the bikes without me paying more we might have a deal hahaha Sales guys are funny

Nice, let me know your thoughts. I am not a huge fan of the looks but I certainly am of the performance and practicality, it's supposed to ride like a better Multistrada.

rMQ2wVM.jpg

You can definitely see where their inspiration comes from. A bike you could ride a thousand miles, spend the weekend blasting around the track, then ride a thousand miles home. I'd probably trust the BMW more off-road, though if you actually plan to take either of these bikes off-road you are certifiably insane.

Nice, let me know your thoughts. I am not a huge fan of the looks but I certainly am of the performance and practicality, it's supposed to ride like a better Multistrada.

I will let you know. Its booked for the 30th. Hope its a nice day

You can definitely see where their inspiration comes from. A bike you could ride a thousand miles, spend the weekend blasting around the track, then ride a thousand miles home. I'd probably trust the BMW more off-road, though if you actually plan to take either of these bikes off-road you are certifiably insane.[/QUOTE]

Yes that is very true... the XR if you like the looks is a do it all bike. Adventure riding style but with more poke than the boxser engine. I have always liked the GS but I never really us it off-road. Its the idea people buy into. I think that is why we like bikes.

Dougald

Quite right, it's more the idea of riding off-road rather than actually doing it. Just like we know most sportbikes will never see a track. Personally I love the "adventure" style, and I think the new bikes like the XR which only pay lip service to actual off-roading in favour of on-road performance are great.

Damaged

so this happened yesterday:

8qpRcqI.jpg

The bike is insane!

Love those things, my one regret with not working for an aprilia dealer these days is that I don't get to play with these anymore.

Has anyone else seen the new Harley 1200 Roadster? were supposed to be getting them in around June time

Same here, that Aprillia is a great bike but the dealers are just way to far from me. That is usually a deal breaker. Small dealer network and no bike to test ride.

Damaged

Same here, that Aprillia is a great bike but the dealers are just way to far from me. That is usually a deal breaker. Small dealer network and no bike to test ride.

We got reasonable support as a dealer in the UK but piaggio just don't seem to know what they want to do with the brand. Very little promotion, considering how good those bikes are it's ridiculous how little they sell.

The problem with the test bikes was down to a recall on the ohlins rear shock at launch, a machine there wasn't fastening a part to the correct torque so the whole batch was pulled. Meant that we were waiting for bikes to arrive easily 6 months after they had been launched and reviewed,a colossal pain in the arse and meant that we missed most of the pre season bike sales last summer

Dougald

Yeah I was looking at the caponord and it seems that just doesn't sell - the discounts you can get on bikes that have clearly just been sat in dealers for 1 or 2 years are crazy. They seem like decent bikes as well.

When I looked at dealers there seemed to be even less than there are for Moto Guzzi, and that's saying something (unless you want the Aprilia Scooters)

Damaged

Yeah I was looking at the caponord and it seems that just doesn't sell - the discounts you can get on bikes that have clearly just been sat in dealers for 1 or 2 years are crazy. They seem like decent bikes as well.

When I looked at dealers there seemed to be even less than there are for Moto Guzzi, and that's saying something (unless you want the Aprilia Scooters)

Thats a fantastic bike, used one for a run to goodwood and back in a day last year and it just ate the miles. It's priced a little high I think, sell it a grand less and it should sell but it won't happen

Dougald

Agreed, brand new it's not *quite* cheap enough vs the Multistrada to get the sales, considering they are both sporty, Italian, V-Twin adventure/sport/touring bikes with all the electronic toys you can cram onto a bike in 2016.

Used though, it's a bargain. Just a bit out of my own budget.

We got reasonable support as a dealer in the UK but piaggio just don't seem to know what they want to do with the brand. Very little promotion, considering how good those bikes are it's ridiculous how little they sell.

The problem with the test bikes was down to a recall on the ohlins rear shock at launch, a machine there wasn't fastening a part to the correct torque so the whole batch was pulled. Meant that we were waiting for bikes to arrive easily 6 months after they had been launched and reviewed,a colossal pain in the arse and meant that we missed most of the pre season bike sales last summer

I am here in Reading and the closest dealer is in swindon. That is a bit far for me to get a bike checked out or take in for a service. Also the customer service sucked

Dougald

I am here in Reading and the closest dealer is in swindon. That is a bit far for me to get a bike checked out or take in for a service. Also the customer service sucked

Well, it *is* a Blade, isn't it?

I think there is another Aprilia dealer near Oxford, but its a long trek for servicing/spares. There's technically one in Reading but I'm fairly sure they only do scooters.

Well, it *is* a Blade, isn't it?

I think there is another Aprilia dealer near Oxford, but its a long trek for servicing/spares. There's technically one in Reading but I'm fairly sure they only do scooters.

that is correct. The guys at Blade done really want to sell anything. Walk in there and they all hide behind the desks and gear. The one in reading is only scooters and 125's. There is Fowlers in Bristol but the deals is 8.9% apr they must be joking.

nico1982

Thats a fantastic bike, used one for a run to goodwood and back in a day last year and it just ate the miles. It's priced a little high I think, sell it a grand less and it should sell but it won't happen
Until the Rally version, the Caponord only came with 17" wheels when the market was already on 19" or above. On top of that the bike is thirsty, 15 km/l tops (DD1200 engine), while the competition sup fuel, especially the german.
They can't even play the light weight card because the bike is fat, very nimble, but fat.

Dougald

Here's the long-rumoured MT-07 Tracer

TRoX3oF.jpg

Almost £2000 cheaper than the 09 variant, though the 09 is already cheap as chips. I do kind of wish they'd keep some of the bonkers colour schemes the standard MT bikes have, I like that high-viz yellow in a "so ugly it's awesome" kind of way.

Not *really* sure who this one is for to be honest. Are there that many new riders who want to jump straight onto something like this? Maybe...

Came here to post the Tracer 700. Looks good and cheap and sure it'll be great. I was waiting out for that bike but moved on in terms of what I want from my next bike.

But a good touring capable bike for £6300 is well tempting. Hope they sell a load of these.

By comparison the Versys 650 is £6849

Dougald

The price is the real story here. It's £700 less than the V-Strom 650, and it has the advantage of not being a Suzuki (sorry Suzuki, but your stuff is outdated as hell)

There's a Yamaha and Suzuki demo day here next week. I'm hoping to test ride the FZ-07 and the GSX-S750 or whatever it is.

That tracer looks interesting. The size and heft of the V-Strom kind of put me off. I assume this is a bit more svelte?

That tracer looks interesting. The size and heft of the V-Strom kind of put me off. I assume this is a bit more svelte?
There's a V-Strom 1000 and a 650. The Tracer 700 will be closer to the 650 of course. The Tracer 700 is built on the MT/FZ-07 platform just taller, longer, and a screen added so riding the FZ-07 will give you a good idea.

Evo X

Went into the dealer to get the annual service on my STR after 6 months of storage.

Came back home with something else.

Instantly put it in Race mode and rode the hell out of it. It's so well balanced. Need to take it on some nice empty roads tomorrow as it is very constrained and not happy in city traffic.

I'm pretty exhausted though. Riding position is quite hard on the wrists. Not sure I can go back to a sport bike after the Triple.

It does certainly one up the Triumph on looks and sound. Makes a sexy companion to my new car as well.

rGyeyRc.jpg

Makki

Its the most beautiful fully faired bike on the market.... unfortunately my knees end right where the frame bolt hole is (right before the fairing cut outs for men/women of greater statue are) and as such I cant enjoy it...

Congrats!!!!!! Removal of orange reflectors and tail tidy incoming?

Dougald

BMW is finally back together after the new drain plug arrived - I got a magnetic one which I'm pretty sure is snake oil, but it was the same price as a standard plug. I started it and it was neither whisper quiet nor sounding like it was going to explode, so I'm pretty sure I got the valve adjustment done correctly.

Next up - final drive oil....

Moving is on indefinite hold - job change still happening, though. Replacement helmet selected...ordering early next month.

What are you going for?

Went into the dealer to get the annual service on my STR after 6 months of storage.

Instantly put it in Race mode and rode the hell out of it. It's so well balanced. Need to take it on some nice empty roads tomorrow as it is very constrained and not happy in city traffic.

I'm pretty exhausted though. Riding position is quite hard on the wrists. Not sure I can go back to a sport bike after the Triple.

It does certainly one up the Triumph on looks and sound. Makes a sexy companion to my new car as well.

rGyeyRc.jpg
Beautiful. Absolutely awesome looking bike. Especially in white. I have to get a test ride on one of those sometime.

rGyeyRc.jpg

This is the problem taking your bike in for a service. Mine is going in for a service next weekend. Leaving my wallet at home lol. Really nice looking machine and I hope you enjoy it

Dougald

Not a single driver stopped after witnessing that

They were lucky, especially his passenger, her helmet clearly doesn't fit correctly.

Watevaman

Speaking of, I need some new gear too. I've been on gloves that have holes in them and my jacket that's been down twice for years now. Granted, the jacket and pants aren't splitting anywhere but I wish gloves were a bit cheaper.

I hear ya. I need new gloves, since my one pair of Knox Handroids got soaked through in the rain and have been a shit mess since, and the other pair got a bit too damaged this past crash. I still have a good jacket that needs some repair that I'm just going to send off to have the work done - much cheaper than buying a new one. I do need to get some new riding pants. My boots, however, are still pretty much golden. Two crashes in those and they're still completely usable. Alpinestars Supertech R...best fucking boot out there.

OraleeWey

O.K. guys, took a little longer than I promised but the oil is changed. Fresh new oil! The leak was due to a broken O ring. It was replaced so there shouldn't be any more leaking. Another issue it was having was overheating. Something I couldn't tell before because it has been cold and it's been hard to detect. But I went out for a ride Tuesday and the needle went all the way to the H in a long red light! This is now fixed though. The problem was simply a fuse. It was broken and is now replaced. The fan wasn't spinning because of the fuse but it now works as intended. The fan turns on when it needs to.

Nothing more to say other than I'm getting comfortable with my bike. Getting better, turning more efficient, etc. I'm really happy with my bike. Couldn't have asked for anything else. I think I'm getting a little too comfortable for my own comfort. I have forgotten there is any danger, like my first few days.

I wish I had gotten a bike way sooner! Better late than never.

Watevaman

Been beautiful out these past few days and I'm off work...........but because I'm sick. No riding for me.

But spring is here and it's only gonna get warmer from here!

Dougald

O.K. guys, took a little longer than I promised but the oil is changed. Fresh new oil! The leak was due to a broken O ring. It was replaced so there shouldn't be any more leaking. Another issue it was having was overheating. Something I couldn't tell before because it has been cold and it's been hard to detect. But I went out for a ride Tuesday and the needle went all the way to the H in a long red light! This is now fixed though. The problem was simply a fuse. It was broken and is now replaced. The fan wasn't spinning because of the fuse but it now works as intended. The fan turns on when it needs to.

Nothing more to say other than I'm getting comfortable with my bike. Getting better, turning more efficient, etc. I'm really happy with my bike. Couldn't have asked for anything else. I think I'm getting a little too comfortable for my own comfort. I have forgotten there is any danger, like my first few days.

I wish I had gotten a bike way sooner! Better late than never.

Glad you're enjoying it! No matter how fancy, fast or cool your later bikes are, you'll never remember anything more fondly than that KLR

Evo X

Its the most beautiful fully faired bike on the market.... unfortunately my knees end right where the frame bolt hole is (right before the fairing cut outs for men/women of greater statue are) and as such I cant enjoy it...

Congrats!!!!!! Removal of orange reflectors and tail tidy incoming?

Did you trade in the 899, EvoX?

Beautiful. Absolutely awesome looking bike. Especially in white. I have to get a test ride on one of those sometime.

This is the problem taking your bike in for a service. Mine is going in for a service next weekend. Leaving my wallet at home lol. Really nice looking machine and I hope you enjoy it

I actually haven't decided if I am going to keep it yet. They actually gave it to me as a loaner to take home for a few days to get a feel for how it fits my lifestyle while they work on the STR.

It still has all the super annoying characteristics of my 848 Evo. Runs super hot, rough throttle control(compared to 3 and 4 cylinder engines) and wreaks havoc on my wrists and back.

But it would undeniably look great with the rest of my collection and handles curves like an absolute dream.

26562675085_16fdec4a30_k.jpg

Top Bottom