• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

OraleeWey

Corsair X, since the Corsair is so far the only helmet that fits me :(

I am able to get it for a "good" price, but still will be just north of $700 USD T_T (...before thicker cheek pads and dark smoke face shield)

A good reminder to wear a proper fitting helmet.
That's a freaking NICE helmet man. you'll be very happy with it. As long as it fits you of course.

I went with this one (the red one) because it matched my motorcycle color scheme. And I wanted something DOT and SNELL rated.
Glad you're enjoying it! No matter how fancy, fast or cool your later bikes are, you'll never remember anything more fondly than that KLR
Absolutely. I can already see myself riding it the most whenever I get another bike. Unless I'm going on the highway, I'm probably using my KLR650.

Dougald

I miss Arai... The visor lock system sucks and they don't have an internal visor... But they sure fit my round head better than my current Shoei

OraleeWey

If anyone is looking for a good(?) jacket and some pants, then CycleGear has their BiLT adventure jacket and overpants, which come with a helmet and a pair of gloves, plus the jacket and overpants for $200.

Here is the link. Just look for "part of package deal" under the price and click it to see what you get. Various colors and sizes.

I personally wear the black pants and day glo jacket from that bundle. I keep the helmet handy in case I have a passenger with me (which I had once). I got this same deal for $382 two months back. This was with like 20% off or something like that. They lowered the price by some $200.

Anyway, I'm not advertising nor am I getting any money for this, just thought I'd let you guys know, in case you weren't fully geared and looking for something more than some jeans and a shirt. I can't speak for how much protection they provide when you fall, but other than that, so far they have gotten the job done.

I miss Arai... The visor lock system sucks and they don't have an internal visor... But they sure fit my round head better than my current Shoei

Really, you don't like the locking system? Hmm... I personally don't have many issues with it, but then again I don't have anything to compare it to. It's my one and only helmet. I remember watching somewhere regarding the internal sun visor, it's due to the fact that they don't find 'safe' or it compromises the 'safety' of the helmet. So they chose not to add one. It does have a pinlock though. So you can swap different shades to your liking. However, I assume it can get tedious having to remove the face shield every time you do that. I have some transition glasses which get darker if under direct sunlight. Which is good enough for me!

Dougald

My demist tab broke off and I had to get it replaced, and I found it in general far too fiddly with gloves on. My old chaser didn't even have a removable lining... Can't complain about the fit though, my helmet is excellent but it's not quite the same.

If Arai did a touring lid with a drop down visor I'd go back. Shoei claim their system doesn't compromise safety, but I guess not having it is always going to be better structurally.

Arai has never fit my head, whereas Shoei has been perfect. I have an RF-1100 that will probably get replaced next year.

Now to decide between the RF-1200 and the GT Air...

Watevaman

I actually haven't decided if I am going to keep it yet. They actually gave it to me as a loaner to take home for a few days to get a feel for how it fits my lifestyle while they work on the STR.

It still has all the super annoying characteristics of my 848 Evo. Runs super hot, rough throttle control(compared to 3 and 4 cylinder engines) and wreaks havoc on my wrists and back.

But it would undeniably look great with the rest of my collection and handles curves like an absolute dream.

26562675085_16fdec4a30_k.jpg

The all white w/ red accents (calipers and wheels) does indeed look very nice, but if you're not feeling the bike I don't think anyone would fault you for not taking it.

Maedre

Banned
Perfect weather Today. 10-18 °C The sky is blue and the Sauerland is empty. I love it when i am able to connect fun and work.There is a meeting i have to attend.

Dougald

Looks like I am going to get my 5 years no claims bonus on the Street Triple after all, no fish yet. I am determined not to go to a dealer though, having been shafted in some way 3/4 times I've bought a vehicle there. When I bought the Street Triple the salesman straight up lied about it being taxed until after I'd paid

Buying a bike privately has always been smooth sailing for me. People tend to be more concerned their pride and joy is going to a good owner than screwing you over.

I actually haven't decided if I am going to keep it yet. They actually gave it to me as a loaner to take home for a few days to get a feel for how it fits my lifestyle while they work on the STR.

It still has all the super annoying characteristics of my 848 Evo. Runs super hot, rough throttle control(compared to 3 and 4 cylinder engines) and wreaks havoc on my wrists and back.

But it would undeniably look great with the rest of my collection and handles curves like an absolute dream.

26562675085_16fdec4a30_k.jpg

For some reason I thought you had an 899 'baby' Panigale. But it's an 848?

As for those super annoying characteristics... yeah sometimes I really miss my 998, but then I also don't. Would be cool without a license plate, but on the road, I'd much rather be on one of the Buells.

Congrats again on the GT4. Stunning car.

Dougald

For anyone in the UK, Triumph have most of the new models in dealers this weekend (including the new Bonnevilles and Speed Triple). Most are open Sunday too, so good opportunity for a nose.

It also looks like KTM is reading a new range model. The 690 single to be updated to an 800 twin. Might be interesting bike for everyday use and tackling the b-roads

qoVWBwT.jpg

Dougald

Thinking of switching alleigances from Germany to Austria are we?

I always liked the oddball looks of KTMs. Unfortunately with a 30" inside leg, most of their bikes are way out of my comfort zone

Thinking of switching alleigances from Germany to Austria are we?

I always liked the oddball looks of KTMs. Unfortunately with a 30" inside leg, most of their bikes are way out of my comfort zone

haha, that new 690 Duke R just looks great. But I feel I am going to cheat on the Germans lol. That new 1050 Adv is a cracking bike and yes they all do look like mad bikes.

Dougald

I am tempted by a 990 SMT, but I feel like it's probably a bit tall for me. Might be able to manage though, I never can really tell with bikes until I sit on one.

If I can get one foot down flat and both on tiptoes I am good

I am tempted by a 990 SMT, but I feel like it's probably a bit tall for me. Might be able to manage though, I never can really tell with bikes until I sit on one.

If I can get one foot down flat and both on tiptoes I am good

Now that is weird. I was riding next to one this morning. He had one pannier on and man that thing does sound awesome. The guy on the bike was a fair weather rider as he had some flash clothing on and not really geared for the rain that is falling now hehe. The bike did not look very tall to me

Dougald

Internet claims the seat height is 85.5cm, which I think is similar to the R1200GS adventure. I've ridden the GS and it was a little on the tall side, but I imagine the KTM is a lot lighter.

Internet claims the seat height is 85.5cm, which I think is similar to the R1200GS adventure. I've ridden the GS and it was a little on the tall side, but I imagine the KTM is a lot lighter.

The the guy on the duc was sitting the same height as me. I am 5'11 and can get both feet flat on the ground on the r1200r. The GS was a bit more of a challenge.

For anyone in the UK, Triumph have most of the new models in dealers this weekend (including the new Bonnevilles and Speed Triple). Most are open Sunday too, so good opportunity for a nose.
Would have liked to go along to see the new Tiger Sport, but will have to wait. I'm still in New Zealand for another week, missing riding my bike. I really have to get a cheap bike to ride on my frequent visits home.

Evo X

Turned the 959 back in to the shop today and picked up my STR after a complete maintenance overhaul. I am so happy to have my bike back. It is way easier, smoother, and more comfortable to ride which makes the experience fun instead of stressful. It provides 90% of the performance of the Duc with none of the frustrations.

Don't get me wrong, the 959 is an excellent bike for what it was designed for, but it just doesn't fit me where I am in my life now.

I was 23 years old when I bought my 848 Evo. At that point, I just cared about going fast and looking cool.

Now at 27, I barely have time to ride with all the other commitments in my life. When I rarely do I get the chance, I want to relax and clear my mind, not set lap records.

The 959 is too damn aggressive to do that. It wants you to be 100% full attack mode and committed all the time.

Some pros and cons. Engine is choppy below 4k, but once it gets moving, it has torque for days. 3rd gear on that thing is epic. You can go from 30mph to 100mph effortlessly without shifting. Gearbox is also fantastic. Seamless upshifts and razor sharp downshifts.

Also has great handling. It's light enough to flick from side to side and has great grip and stability through the turns. I don't think anything I've ridden can carry faster cornering speeds than this.

Nut roasting heat emanating from under you. Thought that was due to the undertail exhaust on the 848, but even with this new underbody system, it is still hot as hell. Do not buy this bike if you want to have children.

The 959 makes no sense for me. If I was to buy it, it would purely be for superficial reasons. I've grown past that. The STR by comparison is like a loyal dog. It just wants to have fun and please you without asking for much in return. I absolutely love it.

I've a KTM 690 Duke IV and am abouts 5'5" or so. It seemed a bit tall at first, but after a few weeks of riding it, the height didn't seem to be a bother. Super Duke/690 Enduro feel about the same as well. Nothing you couldn't get used to. Their adventure bikes however are just way too tall for me...

...the 690 Duke though, lots of fun, but has the noisiest engine. It keeps me up at night with anxious thoughts.

I've a KTM 690 Duke IV and am abouts 5'5" or so. It seemed a bit tall at first, but after a few weeks of riding it, the height didn't seem to be a bother. Super Duke/690 Enduro feel about the same as well. Nothing you couldn't get used to. Their adventure bikes however are just way too tall for me...

...the 690 Duke though, lots of fun, but has the noisiest engine. It keeps me up at night with anxious thoughts.

oh no not getting away with not posting photos haha.

Dougald

The Duke IV has an 835mm seat height according to the net. While that's not huge, it certainly is for the class (Street Triple is about 800). KTM like building them high.

Went for a nice hour and a halfs ride this weekend and really enjoyed the warm sun and the nice b roads.

Been doing a bit of reading about the S1000XR and the S1000R. I am going to see if I can test ride both this weekend. I think the XR is going to give you more elements protection where the R is going to be lower and smaller for filtering.

I see the R does not have the down shift blipper that is standard on the XR. Not that I need it is just very usefull. Then the wife goes and tell me she like the look of a xDaivel. Only thing is that thing does not have a pillion seat lol

zCLRrNW.png

WrpNKbu.jpg

HoWTeB8.png

Dougald

There is a small pillion seat (and I think an optional one with a backrest). The regular Diavel is probably the way to go for 2-up, but it doesn't compete in the looks department

I say XR all the way, it can do anything, plus it has that all-important BMW badge for you

The only problem I heard about the xDaivel is that it shakes and rattles. But man it looks awesome

On a PCP deal you can get away with about £165 per month with a dep. Wonder how that beast will be in the traffic

Watevaman

Vibrations are fun until your bike slips off its stand and falls over (like my Rex)...

PS, that probably wont happen for any other bike since the rex has a super steep stand.

A TW200 popped up for sale not far from me. But I'm poor so I'd need to sell the rex for money if I want to consider it. Thing is, we kinda had a run in with our landlords this past weekend so we aren't sure if we'll be living where I could take advantage of it for very long. Its just really tempting, especially since a lot of my buddies have been switching bikes as well.

Flo_Evans

Went for a nice hour and a halfs ride this weekend and really enjoyed the warm sun and the nice b roads.

Been doing a bit of reading about the S1000XR and the S1000R. I am going to see if I can test ride both this weekend. I think the XR is going to give you more elements protection where the R is going to be lower and smaller for filtering.

I see the R does not have the down shift blipper that is standard on the XR. Not that I need it is just very usefull. Then the wife goes and tell me she like the look of a xDaivel. Only thing is that thing does not have a pillion seat lol

zCLRrNW.png

WrpNKbu.jpg

HoWTeB8.png

XR. I am so sore today after riding all weekend. Next bike is going to be the most comfortable.

Dougald

Got my eye on a few bikes, so I've removed my classified and stuck the Street Triple on an eBay auction - it worked surprisingly well the last time I sold a bike online. Already had more views in 4 hours than the first 3 days of my classified.

There is a rather nice looking Ulysses for sale at the moment, unfortunately it's a good 150 miles from me which in Europe might as well be on the moon, and I wouldn't want to buy one unseen.

Seems that whenever I'm buying a bike, 150 miles is the minimum distance I'm required to travel. Don't let a two hour drive keep you from experiencing true greatness :p

Dougald

Seems that whenever I'm buying a bike, 150 miles is the minimum distance I'm required to travel. Don't let a two hour drive keep you from experiencing true greatness :p

It is a bit tempting to go look at, one owner from new, under 6000 miles on the clock, and the best colour (that orangey yellow)

Maybe I'll make the trip once my bike is sold and have a look

OraleeWey

It is a bit tempting to go look at, one owner from new, under 6000 miles on the clock, and the best colour (that orangey yellow)

If that's the bike you want then it's worth the trip. I traveled 350 miles one way for mine.

Gritesh

Sorry guys I've been so busy haven't had the chance to take any pictures of my new superduke 1290r.

Coming from a ducati monster 1100 it's quite a bit smoother and a lot more power.

Its the most fun bike I have ever ridden and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I'm taking it to the Canadian rockies next weekend so hopefully I can snap some nice pictures of it for you guys.

Dougald

I look forward to it, I love the Superduke!

Took a dirt trail into the hills yesterday. I really should have checked my gas but I ended up pushing my bike about 2 miles out of the woods. Totally worth it though and I was laughing almost the entire time.

Harley looking great as ever. You did a great job to make what seems to be a fully functional off-road machine that still looks like its from a bike EXIF post

Yeah, stellar looking Sportster. Awesome that you're actually using it for trails and such.

All kidding aside, while I am of course very curious as to whether you are going to find the Ulysses similary enchanting, you shouldn't feel obligated to make the trip on account of my constant nagging :p

Dougald

All kidding aside, while I am of course very curious as to whether you are going to find the Ulysses similary enchanting, you shouldn't feel obligated to make the trip on account of my constant nagging :p

Oh I won't, but there are more bikes to be found (and cheaper!) in that part of the country, so I may make a day of it and see a few sometime. Motorcycles are more of a working class tradition here and a bit more popular up north

Nope, though I have, I'm ashamed to admit, dropped a bike once. Was washing it and it was parked at an unfortunate angle. Rookie mistake, though very little damage (cracked indicator light which I had a spare for). I intend to keep my record clean when it comes to taking a spill while actually riding...

Oh I won't, but there are more bikes to be found (and cheaper!) in that part of the country, so I may make a day of it and see a few sometime. Motorcycles are more of a working class tradition here and a bit more popular up north

Probably exacty the same reason why it's always quite a ride here as well.

So let me ask you guys, have any of you ever fallen? How long were you riding for when it happened, etc?

Can I expect to go down?
I haven't fallen though I've dropped my bike before. But I've had a few close calls with low siding, mainly due to gravel in corners.

It's certainly possible that I or you will have an off at some point, just have to try to stay aware and wear good gear.

Top Bottom