• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I'm trying to get a list together...

I think I'd like to test a couple of Ducatis, a KTM 690 SMT, MT-09 tracer, and a K1300R. Bahnstormer have a very nice K1300R in stock at the moment which while a little out of my price range is not astronomically so. Surprisingly cheap to insure too

I'm trying to get a list together...

I think I'd like to test a couple of Ducatis, a KTM 690 SMT, MT-09 tracer, and a K1300R. Bahnstormer have a very nice K1300R in stock at the moment which while a little out of my price range is not astronomically so. Surprisingly cheap to insure too

They might do you a deal it you are really keen. Speak to a guy called Aldo in Maidenhead or John in Alton. They will sort you out for a test ride

Have not ridden either of them, but I think they are likely to be very different from their predecessors due to the completely new liquid cooled engines (and differences in weight). Guess you should try both old and new if the 1100 is still an option.

nico1982

So GAF, what's your take on the Monster 821 vs the 1200?
Never rode them, but friends with both agreed that the 821 is silly underspecced for the price: 11K euro and non adjustable forks. They are only available if you opt for the marked up "Stripe" version.
Base 1200 comes with fully adjustable front and rear suspension and much better value for the bucks.

796 had the same problem, but as that suspension was more than adequate even if non adjustable, it wasn't that big of an issue, even more considering how much those have come down in price.

GONZO

Tuned my suspension today and made a dirty flyby clip with my cellphone. Overall a good day! :p

Inc4ji3.jpg

https://youtu.be/3JsglUGxYZc

nico1982

796 had the same problem, but as that suspension was more than adequate even if non adjustable, it wasn't that big of an issue
I can understand corners getting cut on a MT-07 or CB650, but there shouldn't be something "adequate" on a 110 HP bike with a five figures price tag. And the stock forks on the 821 are not even adequate to begin with. I'm not saying it must come with Ohlins front and rear, but lack of preload adjustment on the forks is plain silly. If the forks are too soft or too hard for your weight and/or road condition to ride comfortably and safely you have no other options to fix them yourself.

even more considering how much those have come down in price.
Then why has not been included? It is just Ducati being greedy, IMHO.

So GAF, what's your take on the Monster 821 vs the 1200?

For me it comes down to a bigger engine has more grunt when I need it. I dont always use it but when I need it I have it. The 821 would be a sweet bike but you would always wonder how the big brother would have been. I have been riding the 1200 boxer engine for some time now and every time I am riding a smaller engine if feel like it does not have the grunt I am use too. This is only my opinion.

Go ride both as the last time I sat on the 1200 duc is was damn high. Still a sweet looking bike both of them and they do sound special. Also check service costs and spares as that can but a bit higher.

I can understand corners getting cut on a MT-07 or CB650, but there shouldn't be something "adequate" on a 110 HP bike with a five figures price tag. And the stock forks on the 821 are not even adequate to begin with. I'm not saying it must come with Ohlins front and rear, but lack of preload adjustment on the forks is plain silly. If the forks are too soft or too hard for your weight and/or road condition to ride comfortably and safely you have no other options to fix them yourself.

Then why has not been included? It is just Ducati being greedy, IMHO.

I was talking about the 796, the older (87 hp) bike. Where it was more than adequate and you still got a lot of bike + badge for the money. In euros that bike was about 10.500 I think? A very fair price considering the level of finish, the beautiful styling, great engine and, with the exception of the forks, quality parts. Though again, the front fork was fine for road use, perfect even for my weight.

It's not that strange a luxury bike PLUS all the top shelf parts is going to run you a little more than 10.500 (which is not that expensive).

How this works out for the 821, I'm not sure. Don't know what it costs and I haven't ridden it. Also doesn't look half as good as the 796, so I wouldn't consider it anyway. Not that I'm in the business of considering anything other than Buell at this point.

Dougald

Guess it depends on what kind of rider you are, to be fair I have never adjusted the suspension on any of my bikes beyond upping the rear preload for a pillion/luggage. Saying that, if I had bought a Street Triple R, I'd have probably tweaked things a little. Going over potholes on that bike really took it out of my spine

Trying to decide whether to swallow my pride and go 10 minutes down the road to the Ducati dealer I hate to test ride a Monster (and pay them for the privilege), or arrange something this weekend an hour out of my way. This is why, when someone comes into your dealership looking at what they want to buy in a years time, you don't treat them like shit

If I really wanted to blow all my savings I'd be down the Yamaha dealership ordering an MT-10, but £10k+ OTR is a bit much for me at the moment (ditto Honda on the Africa Twin)

Yeah, the MT10 is a great looking machine. Though at legal speeds, road use, I still think you can't beat obscene amounts of low down grunt when it comes to good clean fun on a bike.

Dougald

That's sort of my thought on the smaller Monster, I may well test ride the 1200 and find it's just too much. Not too much in terms of "I can't handle it", more due to the temptation to ride in a more "spirited" manner. Last thing I want is to have to sell my bike after a massive speed-related insurance hike.

At least modern bikes have all the different power modes thanks to ride by wire.

nico1982

How this works out for the 821, I'm not sure. Don't know what it costs and I haven't ridden it. Also doesn't look half as good as the 796, so I wouldn't consider it anyway.
The 821 cost 10890 euro. The forks are way too soft. You have to cash out 11490 euro for the Stripe version to have it fixed out of the box. It is silly because otherwise the bike is quite good, minor quirks like footpegs design and exhaust routing, as per usual Ducati's form over function.

nico1982

If I really wanted to blow all my savings I'd be down the Yamaha dealership ordering an MT-10, but £10k+ OTR is a bit much for me at the moment (ditto Honda on the Africa Twin)
I don't remember, but have you considered XSR900? It is an MT-09 with updated engine and electronics, improved suspensions. Curiously, aside from its retrò appearance (I like it quite a bit, to be honest) it is the most sporty of the MT triple family.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2016-yamaha-xsr900-first-ride-review

The 821 cost 10890 euro. The forks are way too soft. You have to cash out 11490 euro for the Stripe version to have it fixed out of the box. It is silly because otherwise the bike is quite good, minor quirks like footpegs design and exhaust routing, as per usual Ducati's form over function.

Are they the same as the Showa ones on the 796? Cause I rode that thing hard and was left wondering afterwards why I went for the 1100s back then. Had I tracked that thing regularly, it would have made sense. But what's on the standard bikes is fine for the road. Also I don't think those prices are 'greedy'. Bike is built in Italy (!) you get a pretty massive increase in power over the 796 and for a measly 600 you get the forks you want if the stock stuff is an issue (which I doubt it actually is for many unless Ducati went for a vastly cheaper option on the 821).

So yeah, just 600 for the better suspension and a bunch of other stuff? On a Ducati? As an option? That's downright cheap.

Monster buyers should still go for the 1200 though. Single sided swingarm n all that.

Dougald

I don't remember, but have you considered XSR900? It is an MT-09 with updated engine and electronics, improved suspensions. Curiously, aside from its retrò appearance (I like it quite a bit, to be honest) it is the most sporty of the MT triple family.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2016-yamaha-xsr900-first-ride-review

I do like the look, but I kind of discounted the MT-09 simply because the engine configuration is so similar to my old Street Triple. Which was a great engine, don't get me wrong, but I never really bonded with the bike.

That being said I could afford a brand new one even on my budget, and there is a Yamaha dealer nearby. Maybe I will call in for a demo, I really dig the anniversary paint job.

Monster buyers should still go for the 1200 though. Single sided swingarm n all that.

I won't lie that's like 90% of the appeal of the 1200, and the other 10% is mostly the rear license plate holder, lol. I *may* be going to Almeria this year or next year though, so having something that I can blast around the track on for a few days is a plus

Watevaman

Question for y'all with this new bike talk: Do you guys pay cash or finance when you get new bikes? I'm having a hell of a time justifying financing what is essentially a "toy" but I guess it would be the adult thing to save up my own cash over the next year or so.

Dougald

Cash, cash, cash, I've only taken out one loan in my entire life and it was for my house

That being said, if you only want to buy from one manufacturer and you change your bike every ~3 years, PCP is a cracking deal

Question for y'all with this new bike talk: Do you guys pay cash or finance when you get new bikes? I'm having a hell of a time justifying financing what is essentially a "toy" but I guess it would be the adult thing to save up my own cash over the next year or so.

I am PCP leasing all the way... price is lower and I can look at a new bike every 2-3 years

Wolfe

Do whatever the hell you're more comfortable with (or works better for your situation). I've financed both of my last bikes, much lower overall price than a car so easy to pay off rather quickly.

Watevaman

I'm not familiar with what a PCP is, besides the drug haha.

I'm asking because I'm actually thinking of keeping the Rex and just financing on a used TW since in my current financial state, it would take years to save enough for even a cheap bike like that. But, if I got a good rate, I could afford payments over the next few years.

Dougald

I'm not familiar with what a PCP is, besides the drug haha.

I'm asking because I'm actually thinking of keeping the Rex and just financing on a used TW since in my current financial state, it would take years to save enough for even a cheap bike like that. But, if I got a good rate, I could afford payments over the next few years.

I don't know if it has another name over there/is not so popular, but it's sort of mid-way between a lease and a loan. They estimate the value of the bike in 3 years, then you put up a small deposit and pay a very small monthly payment, then at the end of the period you either have to pay that estimated value, swap your bike for another one, or give it back and have nothing. Essentially, you finance the amount the bike will depreciate over 3 years instead of the whole lot, which is why the payments are smaller.

It works great if you want to change bikes every 3 years and stick with the same dealer, but I prefer the flexibility that comes with owning outright

Wolfe

I don't know if it has another name over there/is not so popular, but it's sort of mid-way between a lease and a loan. They estimate the value of the bike in 3 years, then you put up a small deposit and pay a very small monthly payment, then at the end of the period you either have to pay that estimated value, swap your bike for another one, or give it back and have nothing. Essentially, you finance the amount the bike will depreciate over 3 years instead of the whole lot, which is why the payments are smaller.

It works great if you want to change bikes every 3 years and stick with the same dealer, but I prefer the flexibility that comes with owning outright

Yeah as someone on the west coast that does not sound familiar to me at all, wonder if it's just not as popular a thing here in the states? How does it differ from a normal lease for example?

Watevaman

That sounds cool but yeah, I'm not even sure if that's a thing over here. It sounds like a lease for a car but afaik you can't lease a bike.

And I also agree with the flexibility part. I'm not gonna be looking for a new bike in three years so yeah, I think it'd be better to just do a loan.

Dougald

Yeah as someone on the west coast that does not sound familiar to me at all, wonder if it's just not as popular a thing here in the states? How does it differ from a normal lease for example?

You own the bike outright rather than lease, and have the option to purchase later, but it's pretty similar in other respects (mileage limits, etc)

Leasing bikes here isn't particularly common, iirc. PCP however is astonishingly popular and responsible for a lot of new car & bike sales

The exception I'd make on finance is if the dealer was offering 0% and I already had the money in the bank. Free interest.

Cash, cash, cash, I've only taken out one loan in my entire life and it was for my house

Same here. Not a fan of loans on things that (in most cases) depreciate.

Plus:

but I guess it would be the adult thing to save up my own cash over the next year or so.

this feels much better. At least it does for me. I want my toys to be mine, not sorta mine.

nico1982

I do like the look, but I kind of discounted the MT-09 simply because the engine configuration is so similar to my old Street Triple. Which was a great engine, don't get me wrong, but I never really bonded with the bike.

That being said I could afford a brand new one even on my budget, and there is a Yamaha dealer nearby. Maybe I will call in for a demo, I really dig the anniversary paint job.
You should really call for a demo ride. The only similarity is the number of cylinders. The 09 is crossplane, with 25% more displacement than the 675 and tuned for mid-range torque.

Dougald

You should really call for a demo ride. The only similarity is the number of cylinders. The 09 is crossplane, with 25% more displacement than the 675 and tuned for mid-range torque.

I think I will, give me a good opportunity to ask about the mt-10 too

Dougald

Personally I love it but it's definitely a love/hate design. I even love the hi-viz colour scheme which by all rights should be awful

Anybody ever heard of this T12 Massimo? I just stumbled on to some videos about it on Motorcycle.com's Youtube channel.

Its a secret project started by Massimo Tamburini and finished by his son after Massimo's death, to make the most no-compromise superbike ever.

Specs:
341lbs
230+HP from a BMW S1000RR engine

Video is here

Another vid here

The bike costs........
$342,000

tamburini-t12-massimo.jpg

massimo-t12-side-l.jpg

Top Bottom