• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

No, the 821 forks are Kayaba units.

The point is exactly that the Stripe makes the vanilla 821 value even worse, no?

I should probably test ride the 821 before I can really answer this. If those KYB units are much worse than the 796's showa's, then yeah, you might be right. But the value still doesn't seem that bad to me. You want to keep the price within range of what 796 was, but I can see how the more complex engine might add to its cost. This then isn't the worst solution; an extra 600 for those that take issue with the suspension.

Dougald

guys something weird happened I got on the bike, was riding through town in Touring mode, turned onto a country lane, put it in sport, and the next thing I know I'd just put down a deposit on a Monster 1200

Watevaman

Oh no, that sounds terrible! I think you're going to enjoy yourself too much! Stop now before you have too much fun!!!

Congrats dude. We definitely need pics and vids when you get it. :)

Dougald

I'm not picking it up for a couple weeks as its due it's 2016 service. It's definitely got its flaws but I just love it to bits. Will put up some thoughts when I get home

Dougald

Okay:

The Good

- It's objectively beautiful
- I'm pretty sure Ducati bribed the euro 4 tester because no stock exhaust should sound so nice. Which is good as I neither want, nor can afford the insurance on something louder (seriously, I checked, it's an extra £150)
- Touring mode is beautifully smooth with more than enough power for the road
- Sport mode is ludicrous. Seriously, just look at the bike in 1st or 2nd gear and the front end gets light.
- You can change modes while moving
- Mirrors are surprisingly usable, especially for a Ducati

The Bad

- A big computerised dash, but no fuel gauge or gear indicator? Why not? Fuck you, that's why
- The switchgear looks beautiful but it was clearly designed 100% in the computer by some italian bloke, because there is no tactile feedback at all
- The rubber key guard in the centre of the tank looks and feels cheap, I'll probably replace it with a carbon one.
- Urban mode is completely and utterly useless, anyone with any semblance of clutch control should just put it in Touring instead. The only use for it would be someone who lives and works in London, but if you're leaving a Ducati parked in London you won't own it very long.

The Meh

- Hard to read the LCD dash in direct sunlight, but it's workable
- The seat gets quite warm when it's not out, but nowhere near as bad as the inferno that was the Street Triple
- For some reason Ducati thought the best place to put the battery was basically inside the swingarm, so good luck to me getting that out. Luckily I'm having the dealership put in an optimate lead to spare the hassle
- Brakes didn't have quite as much bite as I'm used to. Maybe they need bleeding or maybe I've been spoilt the last month with the insane calipers on the BMW. They aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination though.

It's definitely not as objectively "good" on paper as the Street Triple, but I think it has what I was missing with that bike. Riding it was just fun, I had a great big grin on my face the whole time. More than enough power for the road, but because it's a naked I never really felt the need to exceed the speed limit, you can have more than enough fun on it staying within the law.

Okay:

The Good

- It's objectively beautiful
- I'm pretty sure Ducati bribed the euro 4 tester because no stock exhaust should sound so nice. Which is good as I neither want, nor can afford the insurance on something louder (seriously, I checked, it's an extra £150)
- Touring mode is beautifully smooth with more than enough power for the road
- Sport mode is ludicrous. Seriously, just look at the bike in 1st or 2nd gear and the front end gets light.
- You can change modes while moving
- Mirrors are surprisingly usable, especially for a Ducati

The Bad

- A big computerised dash, but no fuel gauge or gear indicator? Why not? Fuck you, that's why
- The switchgear looks beautiful but it was clearly designed 100% in the computer by some italian bloke, because there is no tactile feedback at all
- The rubber key guard in the centre of the tank looks and feels cheap, I'll probably replace it with a carbon one.
- Urban mode is completely and utterly useless, anyone with any semblance of clutch control should just put it in Touring instead. The only use for it would be someone who lives and works in London, but if you're leaving a Ducati parked in London you won't own it very long.

The Meh

- Hard to read the LCD dash in direct sunlight, but it's workable
- The seat gets quite warm when it's not out, but nowhere near as bad as the inferno that was the Street Triple
- For some reason Ducati thought the best place to put the battery was basically inside the swingarm, so good luck to me getting that out. Luckily I'm having the dealership put in an optimate lead to spare the hassle
- Brakes didn't have quite as much bite as I'm used to. Maybe they need bleeding or maybe I've been spoilt the last month with the insane calipers on the BMW. They aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination though.

It's definitely not as objectively "good" on paper as the Street Triple, but I think it has what I was missing with that bike. Riding it was just fun, I had a great big grin on my face the whole time. More than enough power for the road, but because it's a naked I never really felt the need to exceed the speed limit, you can have more than enough fun on it staying within the law.

Grats man, I will have to go and have a look when my lease is up. Did you go for the Monster 1200s or r?

Dougald

Standard model, I don't do finance so bought a used one. For the same money I could have a 1200 with 3k miles on the clock, or a new 821. No brainer really. If I were buying new I'd have gone for an mt-10 or Africa Twin... in fact I would have seriously considered the Honda were it not for the factory shutdown due to the earthquake... Plus, money.

No ohlins, but the suspension is still adjustable so it's a cut above my last 3 bikes.

Standard model, I don't do finance so bought a used one. For the same money I could have a 1200 with 3k miles on the clock, or a new 821. No brainer really. If I were buying new I'd have gone for an my-10 or Africa Twin... in fact I would have seriously considered the Honda were it not for the factory shutdown due to the earthquake.

No ohlins, but the suspension is still adjustable so it's a cut above my last 3 bikes.

Perfect man, I just wanted to post a foto of the correct model so we all can drool on the friday.

Dougald

Perfect man, I just wanted to post a foto of the correct model so we all can drool on the friday.

5D3x0A2.jpg

It's gonna be a long week and a half...

Dougald

Cheers, that is a good looking machine. Also glad you went for the bigger engine. How was the seat height

Super, super low actually. First time I've got on a big bike and felt it might be almost too short for me! The seat is adjustable and it was set at the lowest, I think the standard height is about 810mm, I'm pretty sure it was about 790mm when I rode it. Plenty of confidence for low-speed stuff, and loads of steering lock to boot.

I'll be taking watevamans advice and buying an Abba stand too, as there is no centre stand, and I don't have a paddock stand for single swingarms... it's about time as I've been putting off that purchase for years.

Super, super low actually. First time I've got on a big bike and felt it might be almost too short for me! The seat is adjustable and it was set at the lowest, I think the standard height is about 810mm, I'm pretty sure it was about 790mm when I rode it. Plenty of confidence for low-speed stuff, and loads of steering lock to boot.

I'll be taking watevamans advice and buying an Abba stand too, as there is no centre stand, and I don't have a paddock stand for single swingarms... it's about time as I've been putting off that purchase for years.

Great stuff, keep us posted... and yes 2 weeks is a long time. Where did you buy it from?

Dougald

I went all the way up to Ducati Cambridge, who have only just opened their doors 2 months ago, good bunch of blokes in there. The place is owned by the local Bentley dealer and it shows

Yes, I really hate Blade Ducati enough that I'd drive 90 minutes each way to buy a Monster 1200, when Blade have an almost identical Monster for sale at a very similar price, 10 minutes from my doorstep. I was chatting to the Duc Cambridge guy about their "pay for test rides" policy, and he thought they were insane.

I went all the way up to Ducati Cambridge, who have only just opened their doors 2 months ago, good bunch of blokes in there. The place is owned by the local Bentley dealer and it shows

Yes, I really hate Blade Ducati enough that I'd drive 90 minutes each way to buy a Monster 1200, when Blade have an almost identical Monster for sale at a very similar price, 10 minutes from my doorstep. I was chatting to the Duc Cambridge guy about their "pay for test rides" policy, and he thought they were insane.

Its weird, dont know what there problem is. They can sell so much more if they just pickup the customer service

Gritesh

As promised

This is the Canadian Rockies, specifically along Highway 93, Columbian Icefields Parkway.

13237728_10156948814955241_7348663897168117592_n_zpspkdzaqw6.jpg

13124591_1781165552102480_5677251519923164804_n_zpsctfbijoc.jpg

13173397_1781384222080613_8310691141900770468_o_zpsfulfdsuc.jpg

Mines the KTM Superduke 1290r

Standard model, I don't do finance so bought a used one. For the same money I could have a 1200 with 3k miles on the clock, or a new 821. No brainer really. If I were buying new I'd have gone for an mt-10 or Africa Twin... in fact I would have seriously considered the Honda were it not for the factory shutdown due to the earthquake... Plus, money.

Ohlins was overkill on my 1100S, don't worry about it.

Okay:

The Good

How's that? Does an exhaust have anything to do with insurance in the UK?

The Bad

Yeah that is very annoying. How's the temp gauge though? I wish bikes did that thing BMW's do now on their performance vehicles (cars) where the throttle is limited when the engine is cold.

- For some reason Ducati thought the best place to put the battery was basically inside the swingarm, so good luck to me getting that out. Luckily I'm having the dealership put in an optimate lead to spare the hassle.

Be sure to keep it charged though (if you're not riding it), otherwise you're gonna have to get in there pretty soon anyway.

Triumph brakes will spoil a guy. It is known.

The most important part, for sure. My Buells definitely aren't as good as most other bikes, on paper (well, with the exception of handling, which is amazing). But then they're still better than everything else. Funny how that works :p

Dougald

As promised

This is the Canadian Rockies, specifically along Highway 93, Columbian Icefields Parkway.

Mines the KTM Superduke 1290r

Beautiful scenery, and even nicer looking KTM - I do love the Super Duke.

Ohlins was overkill on my 1100S, don't worry about it.

Like I use it enough! The suspension was rock hard on the 1200, but that's because the previous owner had set it up on the hardest setting. I'll end up taking it home, setting it a little bit softer, then never touching it again lol

Dougald

Bike shop I follow on instagram just posted this beauty. 2007 Ducati monster 695

Probably not something anyone else likes but I dig it. I'm trying my hardest not to buy a supermoto or enduro bike right now.

That.. actually works really really well, I'm surprised

Friend of mine just picked up a brand new Diavel (regular model, not the xDiavel), I won't lie, I am a bit jealous. Such a cool looking machine

Dougald

y6WaKnn.gif

Sorry Fallout, didn't see your edit the other day:

How's that? Does an exhaust have anything to do with insurance in the UK?

Oh yes, you technically have to declare every little thing that has changed since your bike left the factory. Any exhaust which increases performance will generally increase your insurance, which (unfortunately?) the Termi's do

Yeah that is very annoying. How's the temp gauge though? I wish bikes did that thing BMW's do now on their performance vehicles (cars) where the throttle is limited when the engine is cold.

All the info is there, though to be honest as I said, the switchgear was a bit of a mess so I didn't get a good chance to play with the dash. You can change what info is displayed to suit though, there are 3 layouts iirc

Be sure to keep it charged though (if you're not riding it), otherwise you're gonna have to get in there pretty soon anyway.

I've always used an Optimate, one too many dead batteries over the winter has left me paranoid

BMW ones at least, the R1150 stops like you've hit a brick wall! To be fair, I did do some hard braking on the Monster and it stops perfectly fine, it's just not as hardcore as on the Street Triple. Nowhere near as useless as the Bonneville though.

The most important part, for sure. My Buells definitely aren't as good as most other bikes, on paper (well, with the exception of handling, which is amazing). But then they're still better than everything else. Funny how that works :p

For sure, it's all about the feel. Let's hope that feeling lasts beyond "yay new bike" this time. I think it will.

My friend is picking up his 2016 Diavel this weekend, I might see if I can wrangle a bike swap the next time we do a rideout. The Diavel and the M1200 technically share an engine, so it'll be interesting to directly compare the two. The Diavel has bigger throttle bodies and a different ECU, so I imagine it's even more of a beast.

nico1982

BMW ones at least, the R1150 stops like you've hit a brick wall! To be fair, I did do some hard braking on the Monster and it stops perfectly fine, it's just not as hardcore as on the Street Triple.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Monster actually stop faster and the difference is brake modulation, with the BMW/Street having just a sharper initial bite. This is even more true if the models are more than a few years apart.

Dougald

You may be on to something there. The Street Triple, certainly, had brakes that would fade away after the initial bite point (I often wished I'd stumped up for the Street Triple R and it's beefier calipers). Plus neither of the others have ABS.

The single, two pot caliper on the Bonneville 800 was all-around awful, though. Glad to see the new bike has twin discs.

nico1982

You may be on to something there. The Street Triple, certainly, had brakes that would fade away after the initial bite point (I often wished I'd stumped up for the Street Triple R and it's beefier calipers). Plus neither of the others have ABS.
The 1200 comes with Brembo M432 monoblocs, same as the Tuono. The setup might be different in master cylinder and/or brake pads, both of which play a huge factor in "feel", but the stopping power should be comparable.
Mine for example is on the soft side in response, which is a plus on the road IMHO, but the bike stop right there and would flip over if were not for the electronic nanny.

YR17ozd.png

One more week until I leave for Utah. Finishing up the route along the way. Super stoked even if my ass will probably have fallen off by the end of the trip.

Dougald

Like the look of the new 2016 MSX 125 (GROM)

Lovely. That original headlight was always a bit too Ducati-ish and generic for me. Now it looks as unique as the bike is itself

YR17ozd.png

One more week until I leave for Utah. Finishing up the route along the way. Super stoked even if my ass will probably have fallen off by the end of the trip.

Looks like one hell of a great trip. I guess it's true what they say, in Europe 100 miles is a long way, and in the US 100 years is a long time ;-)

Looks like one hell of a great trip. I guess it's true what they say, in Europe 100 miles is a long way, and in the US 100 years is a long time ;-)

Haha. Exactly. I do find it super rad that you some people in Europe can ride for 2-3 hours and be in another country. Something I'll never experience here (I guess I could go to Mexico)

LA to Moab on back roads? That's going to be a long ride.

Going to Moab to ride the trails? What are you riding?

We're doing highway / back roads where we can. Unfortunately out of the group of people going I think only 2 of us have anything even remotely 'dirt capable'. I use that very loosely since I'm riding

y6WaKnn.gif

Sorry Fallout, didn't see your edit the other day:

No problem, thanks for the answers!

Can't wait for your pics of the bike and further impressions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Monster actually stop faster and the difference is brake modulation, with the BMW/Street having just a sharper initial bite. This is even more true if the models are more than a few years apart.

Could very well be, yes.

We're doing highway / back roads where we can. Unfortunately out of the group of people going I think only 2 of us have anything even remotely 'dirt capable'. I use that very loosely since I'm riding

<3 going to Moab, you're going to have a good time. As for trails I would suggest checking out Klondike Bluffs and Pictureframe Arch area. Klondike Bluffs trail leads to a short hike to spectacular views and it's an easy trail to ride. Pictureframe Arch is surrounded with trails and dirt roads that are easy to ride and a small sand dune area you can play in.

Klondike Bluffs (trail you can ride motorcycles on)
http://gps.motionx.com/maps/ef2e891aba826e65a24d70ba771035ba

Picture Frame Arch (you can ride pretty much anywhere you want here)
http://gps.motionx.com/maps/ef2e891aba826e65a24d70ba7714566d

Corona Arch (good hike)
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/hiking_trails/corona_arch_trail.html

I've gone to Moab every spring the past 7 or 8 years (except this year), so ask me anything if you want.

OraleeWey

I went to go check some bikes out. I was bored. There were bikes everywhere, as far as the eye can see! This is the one that caught my attention. It was the one I was going to originally purchase before getting my '06. I hadn't seen it in person before. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some new gear. I think I will start with some pants first, but I did like this Jacket (RevZilla). It's a bit pricey though at $500.

Dougald

I went to go check some bikes out. I was bored. There were bikes everywhere, as far as the eye can see! This is the one that caught my attention. It was the one I was going to originally purchase before getting my '06. I hadn't seen it in person before. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting some new gear. I think I will start with some pants first, but I did like this Jacket (RevZilla). It's a bit pricey though at $500.

You can never have enough bikes, or gear....

Looks like a nice jacket - my textiles are the RST Adventure ones, which are very similar & very good (not sure if the brand exists in the USA?). You can't beat leather for protection, but in the cold, wet, or heat, textiles win every day.

Can't wait for your pics of the bike and further impressions.

One more week... I'm still yet to sort insurance as I'm living in hope my old policy refund will arrive by this weekend. Costing me 3 times as much to insure as the Triumph, though that's still only £300/yr. For some reason the Triple cost peanuts to insure. That plus road tax now being non-transferable means I'm looking at almost an extra £400 before I ride it away

nico1982

Its looking like the naked bike are ruling at the moment. Naked and retro...
Aye, and I like it.
The enduro market is now a bloodshed, while the supersport category has been decadent for a while, mostly because the others have eroded their performance advantage while being much more comfortable.

Dougald

Supersports have really reached diminishing returns in terms of performance - you can reach prison sentence-inducing speeds on almost anything these days, so unless you do a lot of trackdays there isn't so much of a need to go the sport route. Even my friend who is nuts for sportbikes has just traded his 848 in for a Diavel, fed up of being compromised on the road for a small advantage on track a couple times a year

That husky really looks like it could be something nice. I like what they've been putting out recently. From the look of the powerplant it's probably derived from the Superduke?

Edit: quoted for new page:

Aye, and I like it.
The enduro market is now a bloodshed, while the supersport category has been decadent for a while, mostly because the others have eroded their performance advantage while being much more comfortable.

currently I dont use my bike for very long trips so it opens up the naked class for allot of people. The weekend warrior or even the commuter. Its great to see KTM also covering a wide range of bike to suite every taste. I really would like to test ride the new 2016 duke r 690. That must be a great all round bike.

Top Bottom