• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

It's alright.... KTMs look at their best when covered in crazy artwork IMO, so probably hard to tell from that matt-black test bike. If it doesn't look like it just came out of the X games then it's not a KTM to me

OraleeWey

You can never have enough bikes, or gear....

Looks like a nice jacket - my textiles are the RST Adventure ones, which are very similar & very good (not sure if the brand exists in the USA?). You can't beat leather for protection, but in the cold, wet, or heat, textiles win every day.

One more week... I'm still yet to sort insurance as I'm living in hope my old policy refund will arrive by this weekend. Costing me 3 times as much to insure as the Triumph, though that's still only £300/yr. For some reason the Triple cost peanuts to insure. That plus road tax now being non-transferable means I'm looking at almost an extra £400 before I ride it away

Hmmmm.... It appears we don't have any RST Adventure gear. But the design and overall look is very similar to Rev'it. And do take some pics of your bike. Sucks about the insurance though. I paid £418/yr for my insurance, it can be expensive.

Dougald

Hmmmm.... It appears we don't have any RST Adventure gear. But the design and overall look is very similar to Rev'it. And do take some pics of your bike. Sucks about the insurance though. I paid £418/yr for my insurance, it can be expensive.

The first year I ever owned a bike, I was paying £800 for my Bonneville... so everything seems cheap in comparison!

Watevaman

And here I am complaining about $20 a month. Well, compared to my friends who had newer bikes and are still paying less, it's a lot.

Reminds me, I need to get quotes for a TW. Should be cheap.

Mine just dropped to $190 a year, which I'm pretty stoked about. If I get a new bike, though, I'm sure it will go back up some. But I'm at 5 years of insuring bikes without incident, and I've been with progressive for 8 years now.

Dougald

what is the new bike costing you... you doing cash or HP?

£300/year for insurance... probably £350 after I add medical/legal cover which I normally do... that's with 5 years no claims bonus. I bought it outright in cash, worked out as a few hundred cheaper than a brand new 821.

Some good PCP deals out there for Ducati if you want to go the finance route though, very competitive as they hold their value well. I think my friends Diavel is 130/m.

£300/year for insurance... probably £350 after I add medical/legal cover which I normally do... that's with 5 years no claims bonus. I bought it outright in cash, worked out as a few hundred cheaper than a brand new 821.

Some good PCP deals out there for Ducati if you want to go the finance route though, very competitive as they hold their value well. I think my friends Diavel is 130/m.

That sounds like a good insurance deal...I might also go for a cash bike the next time or a HP deal where I can pay the bike off. But I change my mind about 10 times a day so we will have to see. Cheers for sharing

OraleeWey

I finally told my dad I have a Motorcycle and showed it to him. He was okay with it.

2dd.jpg

Just as an FYI to anyone looking for a Sena unit. Revilla has the 2 pack for 395 and does price match with amazon (which has it for 297). I managed to get the dual set of 10s for around 250 bucks with the in store credit I had.

OraleeWey

Great stuff man. How just to show him that you are responsible in keeping yourself out of harms way.
Absolutely man. That I am. He can also see it too. I'm always fully geared and my gear is High viz.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-10s-bluetooth-headset-dual-pack

When you add it to your cart just make sure to look at the bottom of the page for the price match thing and use the amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LVSSA4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They should price match if you submit it. Obviously only useful if you have any amount of store credit on revzilla. If not you're better off getting it from amazon.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Man, those midnight rides really are the best.
Yeah they are. Today was the latest/darkest I've been out. A mere 2 hours earlier than midnight but night riding is really awesome.

I just can't express enough how happy I am to own a motorcycle. It's definitely what one would call "freedom". I noticed that it has made me a much better driver when in my car. I actually signal, I respect the solid lines, I'm more aware of my surroundings, I don't speed, etc, all because I'm always looking out for other motorcycle riders. :)

I was thinking about, when and if I get another motorcycle (most likely a sports bike), the KLR650's height might make it very difficult to ride something that's lower. It might actually be a problem. I don't know if I'd be able to adjust to a lower motorcycle. On my KLR650, I can see just about everything.

Dougald

Damn you guys chatting about riding! 5 more days... I've sorted my insurance policy now (£320 in the end), so I'm just itching to get back on two wheels.

I was thinking about, when and if I get another motorcycle (most likely a sports bike), the KLR650's height might make it very difficult to ride something that's lower. It might actually be a problem. I don't know if I'd be able to adjust to a lower motorcycle. On my KLR650, I can see just about everything.

To be honest, the only bikes I've ever ridden where I've not been able to see over cars are 125cc's and cruisers. Mind you, I live in Europe and we all have tiny cars over here ;-)

I sympathise, I'm a shortass and I don't really feel comfortable on anything low. I'm actually planning to adjust the seat on the Monster to the highest point, even though that means I won't be able to flat-foot it at a stop. If you want something sporty without sacrificing height then at least there are a lot of options in sportier adventure bikes these days.

OraleeWey

Damn you guys chatting about riding! 5 more days... I've sorted my insurance policy now (£320 in the end), so I'm just itching to get back on two wheels.

To be honest, the only bikes I've ever ridden where I've not been able to see over cars are 125cc's and cruisers. Mind you, I live in Europe and we all have tiny cars over here ;-)

I sympathise, I'm a shortass and I don't really feel comfortable on anything low. I'm actually planning to adjust the seat on the Monster to the highest point, even though that means I won't be able to flat-foot it at a stop. If you want something sporty without sacrificing height then at least there are a lot of options in sportier adventure bikes these days.

I was in the a similar situation as you. I had my motorcycle but couldn't ride it. It sucks! So I sympathize with you. Anyway, you know what, the more I think about it, the more I realize that I don't want a sports bike. Even though I have been saying that I want a sports bike since for ever. At this moment I am unsure, but I am more inclined to an adventure touring motorcycle. I'll have to think about it, I still have time. Perhaps I'll hop on a sports bike someday to make a better decision. Anyway, what are some options you had in mind?

Dougald

At the top end there's of course the Ducati Multistrada and the BMW S1000XR

Then you've got the ADV versions of the VFR800 and 1200, Triumph Tiger 1050/Sport, Kawasaki Versys, the Yamaha Tracers, Aprilia Caponord, the KTMs... probably the only problem you'd have is some of those bikes aren't available in the US (I'm pretty sure the Triumph isn't). They're really the new sports tourer.

I do like the Tracer:

Or you can go for something less sporty and just get an R1200GS. It may be a bit of a predictable choice but there's a damn good reason it's consistently BMWs biggest seller. At least being a KLR owner, I can't imagine you having much trouble with many other bikes in terms of weight or ride height!

OraleeWey

At the top end there's of course the Ducati Multistrada and the BMW S1000XR

Then you've got the ADV versions of the VFR800 and 1200, Triumph Tiger 1050/Sport, Kawasaki Versys, the Yamaha Tracers, Aprilia Caponord, the KTMs... probably the only problem you'd have is some of those bikes aren't available in the US (I'm pretty sure the Triumph isn't). They're really the new sports tourer.

I do like the Tracer:

Or you can go for something less sporty and just get an R1200GS. It may be a bit of a predictable choice but there's a damn good reason it's consistently BMWs biggest seller. At least being a KLR owner, I can't imagine you having much trouble with many other bikes in terms of weight or ride height!

Oh man. They all look so sexy. I just can't hate anything on 2 wheels. Thanks for posting all those options above. When I get home, I am going to read and watch videos about them all. You have given me a bit of homework, but that's okay. I may even rent some of these from Coleman PowerSports. Very exciting!

Dougald

Yeah, you can tell I was going to get an adventure bike next can't you?

And yet I ended up with the monster! That was more of a combination of "I want a Ducati and can't afford a Multistrada DVT" and "I want an Africa Twin but there's no chance I'd get one before the end of the season"

Watevaman

My buddy just got a Versys (09, I believe) and I took it for a spin. He really likes it, as he replaced his dream Daytona with it, because it's so comfy. I took it for a spin, but it was raining and I didn't have a chance to really go far with it, but I enjoyed it. I didn't think I would, as most adventure bikes seem too busy and heavy for my tastes, but it worked out well. Much lighter than I thought, not as tall as some of them, and a great riding position for comfortability.

Update on my TW obsession: still haven't put the ZRX up for sale. A lot of hectic stuff going down in life, trying to figure out if we'll move or not, etc. My girlfriend wants to stay where we are, and I have decided that if we do, the ZRX is gonna go for sure. I can't justify keeping it as I ride it maybe once every 3 weeks it seems. Sounds petty, but our driveway is the main culprit. It's tore up and I'm not comfortable on a 550lb bike going down it.

I know I annoy you guys with my uncertainty, Maybe one of these days I'll stop, but today ain't that day.

OraleeWey

Yeah, you can tell I was going to get an adventure bike next can't you?

And yet I ended up with the monster! That was more of a combination of "I want a Ducati and can't afford a Multistrada DVT" and "I want an Africa Twin but there's no chance I'd get one before the end of the season"
When you get your bike take some pics! Id love to see it. Whenever you get the chance though.

My buddy just got a Versys (09, I believe) and I took it for a spin. He really likes it, as he replaced his dream Daytona with it, because it's so comfy. I took it for a spin, but it was raining and I didn't have a chance to really go far with it, but I enjoyed it. I didn't think I would, as most adventure bikes seem too busy and heavy for my tastes, but it worked out well. Much lighter than I thought, not as tall as some of them, and a great riding position for comfortability.

Update on my TW obsession: still haven't put the ZRX up for sale. A lot of hectic stuff going down in life, trying to figure out if we'll move or not, etc. My girlfriend wants to stay where we are, and I have decided that if we do, the ZRX is gonna go for sure. I can't justify keeping it as I ride it maybe once every 3 weeks it seems. Sounds petty, but our driveway is the main culprit. It's tore up and I'm not comfortable on a 550lb bike going down it.

I know I annoy you guys with my uncertainty, Maybe one of these days I'll stop, but today ain't that day.
Well, you don't annoy me I tell you that. It's all good.

Is my bike trying to tell me something?

cy8xmDql.jpg

Edit
Dude, I am really liking the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

Edit #2
I do like the Tracer:
9SCt17o.jpg
The Tracer is also awesome. So if I had to choose, it would be between the Yamaha Tracer and the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

I think I should stop watching these videos before I do something irrational. lol

Edit #3
I'm pretty much sold on the Kawasaki Versys 1000

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to get a new bike for the winter time, currently I'm without one and I can't buy one now since its summer and I won't be using it much anyway in this heat (it gets to 50 degrees some days)

I was looking at the GXSR 600, and by the time I can get one the 2017 model will be out.

My question is, now that they're making a new 1000 with some cool graphics and a digital dash. Do we know if the 600 will get a similar treatment?

I'd rather get a new bike with a warranty but if the 2017 model is the same I might just get the 2015 one.

What do you guys think? I have very little experience on buying new bikes so any input would be great

There are a lot of motorcycle shows that come before winter (which is after the third week of December here), so if you can wait, you'll know for sure. If you're buying new and there are leftover 2016 or older, you should still be able to get the warranty. Any reason you're looking at the GSX-R600 over the 750?

edit: That new Multistrada looks hot.

There are a lot of motorcycle shows that come before winter (which is after the third week of December here), so if you can wait, you'll know for sure. If you're buying new and there are leftover 2016 or older, you should still be able to get the warranty. Any reason you're looking at the GSX-R600 over the 750?

edit: That new Multistrada looks hot.

I haven't really researched the 750 enough, I'll look at it.

What's your favorite website for motorcycles?

I haven't really researched the 750 enough, I'll look at it.

What's your favorite website for motorcycles?

I don't have a single one...I usually read/watch reviews from multiple outlets (MCN, Motorcycle, Sport Rider, etc.). The 750 has the same dimensions and almost the same weight to the 600...just a bit more oomph on tap. What is your bike history like?

Dougald

I wouldn't count on Suzuki to do technology updates...! Jokes aside, I generally hear very good things about that 750. If you have some experience that's probably the one I'd go for, actually.

Dude, I am really liking the Kawasaki Versys 1000.

It's a great looking bike if you want the 'bug eye' sport bike type fairing, like a more adventure-y version of my old Fazer 600. From what I've seen at shows it looks very nicely put together too. Good timing as well, as I think they only just decided to bring the 1000 to the US last year. It's baffling how many bikes are never released in North America

My friend just picked up his Diavel and is over the moon with it... I'll try and snap some shots of it together with my new ride next weekend. I'm going to try and do the Ace Cafe to Margate run on Monday the 30th.

a quick 100 mile review of the "kawi grom", or the "wee-z" as i call it

GOOD STUFFS:
- 200-ish pounds and light as fuck. a cripple could wheelie it
- GEAR INDICATOR? on a $3k bike? the entire dash is awesome, with an analog tach, trip meters, fuel gauge, and a big bold digital speedo
- pretty comfy despite being cramped. seat is great
- feels kinda, dare i say it, premium?
- DAT BELLY PAN.
- front suspenders are actually pretty good!
- picks up quick. all the meat is in the mid-range. clutch is light, clutchless upshifts can be done snappy-like over 6k
- so so so so so so nimble
- 220 or so miles to a tank! (!!!)
- cute little underbelly exhaust
- nice stiff frame (unlike the flexy grom)

BAD STUFFS:
- 1st gear is retarded short. i hit redline at 20 mph. guess it's getting, ah, broken in the old way
- rear suspender is a little too stiff. ouch.
- rear brake, like all of the z line, is cold useless garbage. sintered brake pads along with bar end mirrors (the stockers are useless as hell) and a fender eliminator are on th' way
- tops out at 58ish onna flat (at least before break in). 45-58 is the struggle
- makes you do retarded things all the time
- getting off it and onto the tiger -- haha, power wheelie on the big bike and mortal terror

i like this loads better than grom, which felt kinda weak off the line and has some frame flex. the grom has an actual usable rear brake, though.

a quick 100 mile review of the "kawi grom", or the "wee-z" as i call it

GOOD STUFFS:
- 200-ish pounds and light as fuck. a cripple could wheelie it
- GEAR INDICATOR? on a $3k bike? the entire dash is awesome, with an analog tach, trip meters, fuel gauge, and a big bold digital speedo
- pretty comfy despite being cramped. seat is great
- feels kinda, dare i say it, premium?
- DAT BELLY PAN.
- front suspenders are actually pretty good!
- picks up quick. all the meat is in the mid-range. clutch is light, clutchless upshifts can be done snappy-like over 6k
- so so so so so so nimble
- 220 or so miles to a tank! (!!!)
- cute little underbelly exhaust
- nice stiff frame (unlike the flexy grom)

BAD STUFFS:
- 1st gear is retarded short. i hit redline at 20 mph. guess it's getting, ah, broken in the old way
- rear suspender is a little too stiff. ouch.
- rear brake, like all of the z line, is cold useless garbage. sintered brake pads along with bar end mirrors (the stockers are useless as hell) and a fender eliminator are on th' way
- tops out at 58ish onna flat (at least before break in). 45-58 is the struggle
- makes you do retarded things all the time
- getting off it and onto the tiger -- haha, power wheelie on the big bike and mortal terror

i like this loads better than grom, which felt kinda weak off the line and has some frame flex. the grom has an actual usable rear brake, though.

Nice impressions, I was wondering how the Kawasaki would compare to the Grom.

feels good to have a z back in the garage. of all the bikes i've owned, i miss my 2012 z1000 the most. i even liked it better than the tuono, although the tuono was a better bike -- sans the double stator failures that made me sell it, natch

I don't have a single one...I usually read/watch reviews from multiple outlets (MCN, Motorcycle, Sport Rider, etc.). The 750 has the same dimensions and almost the same weight to the 600...just a bit more oomph on tap. What is your bike history like?

I trained on a CBR250, and I've been riding my friends Ninja 300 for a while now. I initially thought about getting a Ninja 650, cause I feel I've outgrown the 300 but I don't want to buy it new, so I've been looking for a decent used one.

Nothing really good on the radar and I need to return my friends bike :p

I might get anything for now until the new GSXRs are out.

Edit: Just found a brand new R3 for $5k, good?

Dougald

Damn Drinky, I'm jealous, I've wanted a grom for ages, and Kawasaki, in their infinite wisdom, aren't shipping the z125 to Britain yet. Looks like a whole load of fun!

Z2gsFnj.jpg

IT FOLLOWED ME HOME I SWEAR GUYS

Its great that the small fun bikes are making a comeback. The front like looks so much like the honda GROM's one. Did you have a test ride on the 2016 GROM as they made some nice upgrades to the looks.

Bikes at this price is so difficult to not let it follow you home haha. Enjoy and keep us posted how you get on after a few weeks

Also some nice custom ones
nNgfHxC.png

I've been looking at the R nineT for the past day now. What a bike! That's a bike dream for when I get my own house and have my own parking space.

aZGRBaZh.jpg

😌

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Just found this thread.

I used to ride my little Z50R endlessly when I was in my pre teens. Couldn't get me off it. The folks never did end up upgrading me so I ended up out growing the poor thing. Ended up not having a bike for more then 10 years but at the start of this year I ended up getting a brand new '15 WR450F. What a monster of a bike.

Shiny 'n' new
F70zvGc.jpg

No problem picking up the front wheel
4eiDBmJ.jpg

Bit dirty after finally getting it out in the bush
JMNbzVL.jpg

Installing some spoke straws
WFh1u44.jpg

Cleaned up a bit and a nice new knobby up back
rI4d0jh.jpg

Wheelies are fun. After a little playing with the gearing (14/47 to 13/50) I can pull it up in 4th sitting down without the clutch.

Finally getting it out in the bush. Didn't take long to fall off haha.

GONZO

Got 1300 miles already on the Tuono. This bike is utterly amazing. Already on the second oil change. Did my fiances' oil while I was at it as well. That little R3 is a blast too.

3eRX7iC.jpg

The magnetic drain plug looked much better on this oil change
dBZedTn.jpg

Dougald

The "cheap" scrambler edition that's releasing a bit later this year is very nice too.

6n3mqgs.jpg

Good build quality, only let down is the basic clock. It's no-frills without feeling cheaply made, if the ones they have at shows are the same as the end product, at least. The tank and seat feel very plush, and everything feels as solidly put together as any other BMW. Just a shame about the lack of a rev counter or much else (I suppose it's to go with the "scrambler" image)

Dougald

I think you can get a number plate holder that bolts to the rear of the swingarm. But you will have to get a smaller plate. Now that is a bit illegal here in the UK....

Yes, tell that to my friend who had a 1 inch undersized plate and a nice big fine from the plod when he got caught on a motorcycle enforcement day... Not worth it

The "cheap" scrambler edition that's releasing a bit later this year is very nice too.

6n3mqgs.jpg

Good build quality, only let down is the basic clock. It's no-frills without feeling cheaply made, if the ones they have at shows are the same as the end product, at least. The tank and seat feel very plush, and everything feels as solidly put together as any other BMW. Just a shame about the lack of a rev counter or much else (I suppose it's to go with the "scrambler" image)

I am very much looking forward to the scrambler... hope they are going to keep the price low.

Top Bottom