• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

They twisted my rubber arm... and done me a great deal as they needed to get the last few deals in for the month. I am now swapping my bike in for that scrambler X. Collecting tomorrow morning.

Days leave in and ready to go.

bwahaha I knew it!

I hope you enjoy the bike, that thing is beautiful. Looks like you ought to get at least one good day this weekend and some commutes in next week

haha, After the test ride they went away after I told them not to worry as my pcp deal is not ready yet. But they made it work. Its trading in the R1200R for the new bike and I will be paying £1 more a month including the GS tyres being fitted. I also get the Karoo 3 tyres to sell on Ebay. Also get my GS handguards removed and fitted to the scrambler at the first service.

I could not say no. All in all took 30 min to sort out. Basically one coffee and I was out the door with all the papers signed. They do know how to do service down at Alton

Dougald

PCP is really it if you want to stay with the same brand, isn't it? BMW and Ducati are incredibly cheap on monthly payments due to the resale value - just a pity I like swapping brands too much... My friend pays only £130/m or something ridiculous for his Diavel.

Glad you're getting those GS tyres fitted, that was my only complaint about the bike and you've already solved it!

PCP is really it if you want to stay with the same brand, isn't it? BMW and Ducati are incredibly cheap on monthly payments due to the resale value - just a pity I like swapping brands too much... My friend pays only £130/m or something ridiculous for his Diavel.

Glad you're getting those GS tyres fitted, that was my only complaint about the bike and you've already solved it!

yes riding on that offroad tyres is not great. The PCP deals are spot on to move between brands too. Its all about how good the pcp deal is. Low apr and a short term. If you take it over 3 years you should be able to change or have equity in the bike just over half way in your 3 years and then you can trade in or upgrade. Its just some other brands dont offer great pcp deals.

The 3 year deals are the most popular as its a balance between low deposit and low monthly payments and 4000miles a year. The two year deals are usually better 0% apr but then your dep is higher and your monthly is higher. But then you can swap the bike out after a year.

At the end of the ride you own the bike too, right? Or they make you an offer to either buy the bike or try something new? Also, just 1 pound a month more? Crazy.

At the end of the term you have two options.

Keep the bike - You will have to finance the amount left on the deal

Give the bike back or change bikes - If you have paid off enough and looked after the bike you will have equity to use as a deposit on the next bike or another brand bike

Yeah, I'm usually not one to borrow money for - or finance a bike (or anything other than a house). But it sounds really interesting. Also, the tyres that were on the bike in the pics are being taken off? Those GS tyres are more suited to the road? Probably a good idea.

Yeah, I'm usually not one to borrow money for - or finance a bike (or anything other than a house). But it sounds really interesting. Also, the tyres that were on the bike in the pics are being taken off? Those GS tyres are more suited to the road? Probably a good idea.

Yes they are taking the Karoo 3 tyres off and I can sell them as new and they are fitting the tyres that comes standard on the GS models. Makes much more sense. The normal scrambler does come with the normal GS tyres the scrambler X comes with the offroad tyres

Dougald

At the end of the ride you own the bike too, right? Or they make you an offer to either buy the bike or try something new? Also, just 1 pound a month more? Crazy.

Essentially the way it works is you pay a deposit like with a regular loan, but you only take out a loan for the amount the bike will depreciate in 3 years

So the monthly payments are low, but if you want to keep the bike after 3 years you have to pay the going used value to keep it. But most people just swap for another of the same brand. It's basically a hybrid of a loan and a lease

Crazily this makes the most expensive brands (Ducati, BMW) pretty damn cheap to own new because they hold their value so well.

I would have to get over the feeling of not really owning the bike, but if you keep that cycle going every three years, that's a very cheap way to ride the hot new shit pretty much all the time.

Dougald

I would have to get over the feeling of not really owning the bike, but if you keep that cycle going every three years, that's a very cheap way to ride the hot new shit pretty much all the time.

That (and my need to change brands, and my aversion to finance) keeps me away from it. But for people like max, or my friend who only buys Ducati, it's a no-brainer.

Its really nice to have all the options here in the UK. What I like about it is if I really like the bike then at the end of the term I can re-finance the left over amount and then pay that off and in the end its my bike.

I should really stop changing the bikes so much but the doctor said its a problem and there are no tables for it

Dougald

I have the same issue, I caught myself looking at Africa Twins last night, not even had my Monster 1200 6 months yet

Quite glad I didn't go for the Africa Twin yet, apparently the first year models have non-stainless wheel spokes which are rusting after only a few hundred dry miles. Unsurprisingly the 2017 model will have stainless wheels... Quite shocking for a Honda.

Dougald

DCT seems pretty good if you do a lot of stop/start traffic

At least in Europe, Honda offer the Africa Twin with a standard manual transmission as well, that's the one I'd go for

I saw a new Africa Twin on the Ventoux when I was there earlier this month. It looked and sounded - really - good.

There is a guy near me with one, and someone else with a Multistrada 1200S DVT... the jealousy

Dougald

Do you think I'll successfully fool any burglars?

awVmGlcl.jpg

Bought from Dust-Off covers, £30. Much more reasonable than the one Ducati sells for £130.

That one with the number plate R90 is the one I test rode a couple of weekends ago from Bahnstormer. Picked up the bike yesterday and my luck it rained. The GS tyres are so much better and the bike feels much more planted. I took the wife out on the back and she really enjoyed it. It sounds awesome and it shakes like a proper motorbike. That aircooled engine is just a gem.

vNrtJgp.jpg

That one with the number plate R90 is the one I test rode a couple of weekends ago from Bahnstormer. Picked up the bike yesterday and my luck it rained. The GS tyres are so much better and the bike feels much more planted. I took the wife out on the back and she really enjoyed it. It sounds awesome and it shakes like a proper motorbike. That aircooled engine is just a gem.

vNrtJgp.jpg

Wow you got one? Nice one! I did hear the stock tyres on the Scrambler were really bad.

That boxer twin is such a good engine. Mine is water cooled of course but still. Doesn't half make a racket though (mechanical sound) but that adds to it's character.

Wow you got one? Nice one! I did hear the stock tyres on the Scrambler were really bad.

That boxer twin is such a good engine. Mine is water cooled of course but still. Doesn't half make a racket though (mechanical sound) but that adds to it's character.

Yes they sorted out a great deal for me. Trade bike in for new one job done. I was out riding this weekend and man this is a great bit of bike. You feel you are riding a bike not just sitting on a bike with all the tech.

I can vouch that the seat is hard after an hour of riding but then I get off and admire the looks of the bike. Its so simple but it looks and sounds just awesome (for me that is). Now I know why the guys like the RnineT so much.

EmLl0nu.jpg

Dougald

Great looking bike and you have some great weather this week right at the end of the season to enjoy it!

I can vouch that the seat is hard after an hour of riding but then I get off and admire the looks of the bike.

Yeah, it looks exactly the same as the Bonneville seat I had. Pretty and retro, but not the best for long journeys! Though to be fair, other than the R1150R and ST1100 I've never had a bike that was that comfortable after an hour.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hello, so I am having some problems with my (2012?) Honda Ruckus. It has about 5000 miles and I recently got it with 4000 miles.

The problem: the thing is "bogging down." I'm not good with engines so I'll just try to describe what is happening.

Yesterday morning, I drove it 5 miles to a place with no problem. It sat for about 90 minutes, and then when I left it was fine - but when I stopped at a red light and went to take off, I turned the throttle and nothing happened for 1-2 seconds until it finally kicked in. It felt kind of sluggish when it did take off, but that could be just in my head.

Then this morning. It often wants to do this thing where I start it, it cranks up and idles briefly before dying. It will start and stay started the second or third time always, especially if I give it some gas.

This morning it did not want to stay started. When it did the idle and die thing it was different - normally it's like the engine doesn't get going enough to keep itself going, but today it kicked into a good (maybe too high) idle and then died.

I tried giving it gas and that just made it die quicker. It also took 3-4 seconds for it to respond to the throttle. Finally it held an idle, so I let it idle for a minute, and then gave it gas. It tried to die it felt like, so I kept giving it gas spurts to try to wake it up, and eventually I was able to drive it to work.

Once I got going it didn't bog down at red lights. It felt a little sluggish, but again that could just be in my head.

Temperature: it was the coldest morning so far this year today (63 F when I got on it), but yesterday when this started it was like 75 +.

Phew, wall of text! Any ideas on what kind of problem this may be? I had looked up the start - idle - die issue before (which was just a minor annoyance and puzzling cause for concern) and saw a lot of carb / air hose responses. The air filter is good, I haven't looked at the carb, I don't see any obviously bad hoses.

Any help would be great, thanks guys!

Sounds like it could be an issue with your carburetor, maybe some dirt got in there or something. Could be that it'll solve itself (with a full fresh tank of gas and high speeds for a couple of minutes), but maybe you need to clean it or take it to a mechanic who can do that.

Dougald

Sounds like it's probably a fuel mixture thing, so probably carb, especially if you say the air filter is clean. You say it doesn't quite start right, do you have a choke on that bike to use on a cold start to get it warmed up first?

Probably the best solution is to have the carb pulled and cleaned up, I imagine the pilot jets are probably a bit clogged. If you don't want to do that you could always try running a tank of gas with some additive in it through the bike. My carb'd Bonneville never ran right in the winter unless I put some Silkolene FST in there

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Alrighty carb it is.

Is there anything else I should keep in mind? I don't know how small engines work, but I've had fuel pump type problems with cars in the past so my thoughts also went to that.

Dougald

With the change in idle speed/need to keep the revs up, I would guess its almost certainly fuelling, so carb would be your starting point

I have had problems before with the fuel filter being clogged too, might be worth a look at. But if its generally running ok once warm, I would point the finger at the carb

Alrighty carb it is.

Is there anything else I should keep in mind? I don't know how small engines work, but I've had fuel pump type problems with cars in the past so my thoughts also went to that.

Other easy thing to check would be air filter, fuel filter, spark plug and spark plug gap.

Dougald

If you hadn't told me I'd have assumed that was a picture of a Tuono

Aprilia take the "coolest 125" crown away from the MT-125 then

Same here I thought it was a refreshed Touno... that is what they need to do to attract the younger riders. Build a bike that looks like there big brothers.

Dougald

New tank is being fitted and having the crappy key guard holder replaced with the updated version that won't ruin your paintwork

I complain, but Ducati Italy are covering the entire cost so really I am just happy they are owning up and making it right

Dougald

That Racer is gorgeous. They also announced the pure, which looks like the "old" Roadster

2b8pbSq.jpg

I'm still holding out to see the GS-styled bike. That would make me seriously reconsider Ducati ownership

Dougald

Monster is all fixed up, I'm picking it up later (actually Mrs Dougald is as its so close to her office)

...but they forgot to order the little "1200" decal for the tank, there's always something! Should just be able to pop that on myself though so no big deal

Top Bottom