• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

/edit: so speaking of headlights... do you prefer the rectangular 1100 one or the asymmetrical assembly on the 1150?

I'm more of a fan of the old-school rectangle.. Wunderlich also make an aftermarket unit for the 1100 which I quite like too

DdfJHwa.jpg

Saw a guy lunch time with a out the box duc monster. Red helmet and tinted visor. He looked mean. What a great sounding bike and it even looks special in the dull UK light

Dougald

Saw a guy lunch time with a out the box duc monster. Red helmet and tinted visor. He looked mean. What a great sounding bike and it even looks special in the dull UK light

That's because the Monster is a cool bike owned by cool people

Frankly 90% of the reason I bought one was that stock exhaust note. I am easily manipulated.

Since it was a cool 90°F outside today I figured I'd work on the dr350. My friend who I bought it from included a rebuilt carb, and said the one on there was bad, so I figured I'd swap them out. Turns out its not a stock carb, so the throttle cable I have is not going to work with it.

Still need to get a new battery and tires as well. Still not sure what kind of tires I'm going to go with yet. I do plan on riding it on the road, but not sure if it will be more on road or more off road.

some pics

why is everything I buy a project?
DSCN2773.jpg

not going to work
DSCN2774.jpg

is this for the BMW?

My mate had one on his GS adv and he loved it. I never really use a tank bag or needed the protection for the tank so never bought one.

The photo is not of his GS but this is how it looked like.

IzAeLle.png

Dougald

Well, the wife is interested in one for her R, and I need something to protect the new tank on the Ducati (oh you read that right, my write up on that is coming)

I may just go for some clear 3M film, I have that on the seat cowl already and it's very nice

Dougald

Damn, you appear to be experiencing almost stereotypical levels of Ducati trouble. I thought they were past that.

To be fair it's just one problem that's caused a horrendous knock on effect. The part that would have prevented it (which is in the 821 and the 2016 1200) only costs 10 euros, so why they didn't do a recall I have no idea

The Rex hit (rather, will as soon as I go down my driveway) 36k miles today! Still going strong as ever.

Great stuff, the people stuck in the past that think bikes are done at 20k don't know what they're missing. My old Honda got up to 55k before I sold it, and our BMW is just about run in on 45k. Many more years left for rex!

Well, the wife is interested in one for her R, and I need something to protect the new tank on the Ducati (oh you read that right, my write up on that is coming)

I may just go for some clear 3M film, I have that on the seat cowl already and it's very nice

That 3M film is the best, its not bulky and no dust or grit can get stuck underneath it. The Bagster can create fine scuff marks if grit get in between the cover and tank

Dougald

So... the parts have come in and my Ducati should be fixed up on the 4th of October.. so gather round 2 wheel GAF and I shall tell you a tale of woe (or at least, piss-poor design)

You may remember about 2 months ago when I was fitting a radiator cover and had trouble with a stripped bolt. Eventually giving up I decided to have the bike taken in to have that fixed, and have my tank slightly realigned/a carbon fiber key guard installed

What do I mean by misaligned? Well, check this out:

As you can see the tank leans slightly to the left (stage right). I'd heard misalignment was both common in the monster 1200 and an easy fix so took it in. Can't be a big deal right?

However, because the bike spent 2 years on the side stand it had lent up aginst the key guard and stripped all the paint off the inside of the tank, a fact the dealer discovered after removing the old guard - this is not uncommon for the M1200 either, as this eBay auction shows

The reason this happens is because, although the Monster 821 and 1200 share the same tank, the 821 has a fitting ring in the centre with rubber pads on either side to brace the tank. The 1200's fitting ring is just straight-up bare metal, so it destroys the paintwork instead. Ducati obviously acknowledge this bizarre defect, as the carbon fibre fitting kit comes with the 821-style ring, and all the 2016 Monster 1200s have it.

On to the good news.. the guys at Blade Ducati had seen this before, but nothing quite so extreme as mine. They went to bat with the warranty guys back in Italy for a month, and last Friday they approved a brand new fuel tank, which now I'm just waiting to fit. All over a 10 euro part.

In conclusion: Ducatis design dept make bizarre and sometimes terrible design choices, but their Customer Service is top-notch. Blade in Reading may still have strange policies on test rides but they're now alright in my book and the bike will be going there for all work as long as I have it.

Glad they could sort it out for you. Its just a long time to be without a bike.

On the flip side I have managed to book a BMW scrambler test ride for tomorrow morning first thing. Looking forward to this.

Enjoy the weekend guys

Dougald

Yes, I can ride the bike still but don't really want to risk the tank sliding about even more!

Hope you enjoy the scrambler, I'm really keen to hear what it's like. Been out and about on our boxer today, the season isn't quite over yet but it's colder than it looks

k8Htsbel.jpg

Dougald

Maybe invest in a small bead breaker rather than using tyre irons? (I assume that's what you're using). Should be miles easier.

Honestly, I bloody hate doing tyres. There is a local guy near me who works out of a small garage on an industrial estate who is very reasonable so I take the bikes there. I don't have to swap out road/offroad tyres or anything though.

Update on the BMW R nine T Scrambler X

Went out for an hours test ride on sunny Saturday. As usual the service was great and I was on the demo bike in about 15 min. I did not even had the chance to grab a coffee.

The guy showed me around the bike and explained that this is a basic bike and only has ABS/ASC. I am happy with that as I dont really ride that hard that I need all the other bits like wheelie control, lean angle traction control, rider modes and on the fly suspension control.

Currently I use my bike to ride to work most of what is 30mph zones and the weekend hour to two ours blast. As much as I like to do a track day currently with the little one time is a thing of the past.

I do like a bike that looks good, rides great and sounds like a bike and I must say I dont know how BMW managed to get this one through the Euro 4 tests. It sounds awesome even better than the R nine T sport.

I took the bike out and it had the offroad tyres on and that does feel a bit weird by my word is this a nice bike. Its a bike bike, a mans bike. Its got a big old aircooled engine and a wire throttle that is you turn it is puts a massive smile on your face.

The ride is more relaxed compared to the R nine T sport. Allot of people complained about the raised bar but I like it. The rear with the single swingarm looks great. The seat looks like tan leather and its good for about an hours ride then it start getting hard. The heated grips are awesome and the front headlight is just much better looking than my R1200R.

So its got no rev counter... I dont mind as I have been riding the boxer engine so long now I know when to change. Its got a reserve fuel light, no fuel indicator. Indicators and the normal trip, clock, etc.

There are two models
R nine T scrambler (cast rims, road tyres, no heated grips)
R nine T scrambler X (wire spoke wheels, option to fit GS tyres, heated grips)

The black anodized rims with the spokes does look nice.

I have also checked and the accessories catalog is growing like mad with all types of bits you can change and add. A great base bike and then you can make it look like how you would like it.

Here is a short walk around video: https://youtu.be/QAHJ_vHXeCw

Some of the photos
enGxY0B.jpg

yFoKue0.jpg

LgJyJc1.jpg

yaRkWix.jpg

vc1aUF2.jpg

Dougald

Thanks for the write up! I'm pretty sure BMW spent 90% of the budget of that bike in the gorgeous tank paint and the seat, they really make it. I think I'd probably swap out those Ducati Scrambler-style half offroad tyres for some proper sport touring rubber, though

The big question is... how does it compare to your R1200R (and are you going to replace it with a scrambler?)

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Hey dudes, I recently joined 2 Wheel GAF with a little Honda Ruckus. I never thought I'd find 2 wheeled motor vehicles very appealing, but damned if they aren't fun.

I want to try to maintain / work on it myself, so I was wondering if you guys would be able to provide input on any questions I might have along the way?

If not I can just post glamour shots, no biggie.

Dougald

You're welcome to ask! I think Drinky Crow (was it Drinky?) still has a Ruckus so might be able to give you some pointers

Glamour shots are definitely mandatory, especially if you have probably the coolest scooter ever made

Thanks for the write up! I'm pretty sure BMW spent 90% of the budget of that bike in the gorgeous tank paint and the seat, they really make it. I think I'd probably swap out those Ducati Scrambler-style half offroad tyres for some proper sport touring rubber, though

The big question is... how does it compare to your R1200R (and are you going to replace it with a scrambler?)

Yes you get the option to fit GS tyres that would make so much more sense. The Karoo 3 tyres are spot on for doing loads of gravel tracks.

The look for me is that the scrambler front end just looks so much better. The R1200R is a great bike and so smooth to ride but I miss the raw boxer feel. The new water cooled engine is a great bit of kit but its missing the noise and the rawness. Its the first time I have been on a bike in a long time that I want to blip it all the time. lol

R1200R - all the riding aids, gel seat, and you can do track days on it without problems

R nine T scrambler - Its a bike, get on, start and enjoy the ride.

Maybe I am getting old and like the old school stuff more. All the extra bits is nice to have but not really needed for day to day riding. They do have a bike to every situation now.

This weekend is the Octoberfest at Alton... might pop in again if I can

Dougald

For me the new R1200R is a little too Ducati monster-ish, I think BMW boxers should have that classic look. I guess the old 1200R looked a bit dated without being retro, so I understand the change - the design was basically the same as the 1150R, which didn't change from the 1100R...

You may have to grow a beard if you buy that Scrambler. I tell you, I used to be clean shaven until I bought that Bonneville!

This weekend is the Octoberfest at Alton... might pop in again if I can

If you see a yellow 1150 and/or a Monster 1200.. it's probably me. You can tell the 1150 is ours because my wife slapped a dang Pikachu sticker on the pannier

You may have to grow a beard if you buy that Scrambler. I tell you, I used to be clean shaven until I bought that Bonneville!

haha, different helmet and dark tan leather jacket with jeans tucked into the boots.

Link this dude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQC_AtrMP0

If you see a yellow 1150 and/or a Monster 1200.. it's probably me. You can tell the 1150 is ours because my wife slapped a dang Pikachu sticker on the pannier[/QUOTE]

Great stuff,

Love that BMW Scrambler. I'm going to have to try that one day. That tank!

I just had a couple of days doing motorcross (outdoor and indoor tracks) and trail riding in Devon with Dave Thorpe Off-road guys. So much fun. Birthday present to me from the wife who came too. On the first day there were 5 riders and 3 instructors. Until one of the guys hit a rut, spun up the rear and went full throttle through a hedge down a 15 foot drop right in front of me. He was shaken up with a bloody nose and fractured wrist. Another rider hit a metal farm gate with his right hand so he was out for the second day leaving only 3 riders so my wife ended up having 2 instructors to herself! Tell you what it's bloody hard work when you're new to it. I had a couple of spills but nothing bad.

I've got a little GoPro footage from day 2 so when I get a chance I'll edit that. But for now taking 2 weeks in New Zealand so hopefully getting my old 250 back on the road.

Watevaman

Went out to one of my favorite spots this Sunday with a few friends. Been over two years since I've been out here and this was my first run, but I got a video for you guys.

https://youtu.be/OkrN7RwuROI

This road is a great little gem. Nicely paved, always clean, and a good mix of turns over the few mile run. By the end of my third run, the rear was already marbling a bit so it felt good.

Dougald

Is all that vibration the road, the bike, or both :)

Looks like a great road to ride. You don't get many corners in the US, but when you do, boy you seem to do it right

Watevaman

Is all that vibration the road, the bike, or both :)

Looks like a great road to ride. You don't get many corners in the US, but when you do, boy you seem to do it right

Mostly the bike. The suction cup mount isn't that tight so there's a lot of vibrations that are transferred to the video. The road is super smooth.

OraleeWey

I found out yesterday that an acquaintance (a really good guy) was involved in a motorcycle accident. I interact with him through work. We work for the same company but different departments. This guy has been riding for longer than I've been alive. He was the first and only person to offer his help with anything I needed done to my bike. I don't know the details but it appears that he was rear ended ans I don't know how bad the accident was. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him for two weeks.

Most motorcycle stories I hear about aren't happy endings. Dammit, it really make me question if it's worth it.

On a less serious note, that BMW Scrambler is beautiful. I like the tires and the color scheme.

@Dougald, I couldn't notice the tank wasn't centered at first. I stared at that image for a good 30 seconds before I could find the issue. Glad it's getting worked on! My bike is in the shop as well. New brakes and better front fork springs. Plus I got me an LED headlight. How many bikes you've got? The Ducati and that BMW?

Dougald

That's a real shame, I hope it's nothing too serious and he can pull through. I don't generally think about that stuff, I love riding and I'd rather do something I love that is a little risky than sit at home playing it safe my whole life

@Dougald, I couldn't notice the tank wasn't centered at first. I stared at that image for a good 30 seconds before I could find the issue. Glad it's getting worked on! My bike is in the shop as well. New brakes and better front fork springs. Plus I got me an LED headlight. How many bikes you've got? The Ducati and that BMW?

You see why it took me so long to notice it now then! This time next week hopefully it should be right as rain. I only have one bike, the Ducati, but my wife owns the BMW so I have use of it. Currently trying to weigh up if I can afford a beater old BMW GS to add to the stable

Mostly the bike. The suction cup mount isn't that tight so there's a lot of vibrations that are transferred to the video. The road is super smooth.

Trust me as a Monster owner I know alllll about vibrating bikes....

Most motorcycle stories I hear about aren't happy endings. Dammit, it really make me question if it's worth it.

Yeah, as long as you personally haven't seen or been in some shit, you can tell yourself it's worth it. But if we're being honest, this hobby is dicey as hell. It's so much fun though... ugh.

Oh man its worth every time you swing your leg over the seat. Every ride is a small adventure and the experience you get from being much closer to your environment is just great. I a car you dont smell the trees and you dont hear the sounds.

If you ride a bike to ride again tomorrow and you look and think for other people on the road you should have a blast. If you want to go fast, ride on a track... as much as its tempted to go at break neck speeds on a public road its not worth it in the end. But that said its all up to the rider. Everyone has there own way of thinking about it.

Stevey

Took a pic the other morning at 6 30 before work, combination of flash and security light made the Buell look pink.

MS8dGn2.png

OraleeWey

Oh man its worth every time you swing your leg over the seat. Every ride is a small adventure and the experience you get from being much closer to your environment is just great. I a car you dont smell the trees and you dont hear the sounds.

If you ride a bike to ride again tomorrow and you look and think for other people on the road you should have a blast. If you want to go fast, ride on a track... as much as its tempted to go at break neck speeds on a public road its not worth it in the end. But that said its all up to the rider. Everyone has there own way of thinking about it.

That's definitely something no one tells you when riding a motorcycle. The smell. You can smell mother nature. Whether it's the trees, or cow droppings, cars exhaust or gasoline, you can smell the smell. I love the smell of the ambient in the mornings.

My motorcycle was in the shop since Thursday. Got it back today and it got some things done and now it feels much better. It got some stiffer front fork springs and the forks have been raised. It appears that the previous owner was short and did some modifications to the motorcycle. Now it's a little bit taller. Rides better. Unfortunate though, it's going to rain for the next 5 days. So I won't be riding until next week.

Dougald

At least its a lot warmer there, though I suppose I shouldn't complain as its unseasonably warm in England still.

G4hxORA.png

I'm getting the Ducati back on tuesday so I'm really hoping I'll get one more weekend out of the year before I have to take it back inside. Almost time to get the ACF-50 out...

I'll be honest, your love for Buells makes me feel bad that I find them ugly lol. >_<

I actually find Buells ugly too, but they kind of transcend it in such a way that they end up looking really cool and unique to me - I feel the same way about the MT-10

I'll be honest, your love for Buells makes me feel bad that I find them ugly lol. >_<

Don't feel bad, they are an acquired taste :).

I actually find Buells ugly too, but they kind of transcend it in such a way that they end up looking really cool and unique to me - I feel the same way about the MT-10

There is one Buell that is undeniably beautiful though, and that is the original S1. Not a bolt in the wrong spot on that bike. It is the concept of a motorcycle boiled down to its most essential parts, spruced up with just the right amount of styling (the bare minimum) to ensure its design will be one for the ages.

They twisted my rubber arm... and done me a great deal as they needed to get the last few deals in for the month. I am now swapping my bike in for that scrambler X. Collecting tomorrow morning.

Days leave in and ready to go.

Top Bottom