• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

That's the plan, I want to get up to Scotland on a bike and there ain't no way in hell I'm doing hundreds of miles on the Monster

A used R1100GS costs as much as the Ducati luggage and touring screen for the Monster anyway!

Dougald

Waiting for the end of the year, then I can have a poke around at whats on the market. I'm on a tight budget and bike prices seem to drop about £500 over the winter because no-ones buying.

Dougald

Next Summer I think, if I have the bike. We are heading to Japan in the spring so Scotland will be a nice cheap week or two.

Unless I can do the impossible and arrange two of my friends to take a week or two off for a tour, in which case we're going to the Alps

OraleeWey

Here is a collection of motorcycle backgrounds if anyone is interested. One of them shows nudity so NSFW. You have to scroll way down to see it though.

https://imgur.com/a/GCmNM

This one is my favorite.

H9F2YYW.jpg

Sure, I'd provide some more info though, couple of good shots of the bike, mileage, whether you have records of maintenance done, state where you live maybe, that sort of stuff :D.

Sounds good, here goes.

Located in Houston, TX. 2005 ZX-10R, I'm the second owner and have had it since 2011. Bike has been great and have never had any problems with it. It's still running very strong and currently has about 48,800 miles.

Looking for $5,000, offers welcome (I'll give any gaffers a better deal). Cash only, no trades.

Mod List
  • DDM 5000k HIDs Low & High beams
  • Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen
  • CRG Adjustable Levers
  • Renthal Road Grips
  • Nissin Front Calipers
  • No Cut Frame Sliders
  • Vortex Adjustable Rearsets w/ GP Shift
  • -1/+2 Gearing/Sprockets
  • AGG Racing SBK Rear Brake Reservoir
  • Endurance Racing Exhaust Hanger
  • Akrapovic Carbon Fiber Exhaust
  • Dynojet Power Commander III
  • Integrated Rear Taillights
  • Rear Solo Seat Cowl (also have passenger seat)
  • White Powder Coated Wheels
  • Bridgeport 90 Degree Valve Stems
  • Lowering Links (currently set to stock height)

Maintenance Stuff
  • Motul 5100 Oil
  • Water Wetter Coolant
  • ATE Super Blue DOT 4 Brake Fluid
  • Bearing Works Front & Rear Wheel Bearings
  • Yuasa Battery replaced 9/2015
  • Bridgestone Battlax S20 120/190 Tires

Notes
  • Tires are brand new, less than 100 miles
  • Scotts steering stabilizer is not included with sale
  • Inspection & Registration are both current until 10/1/2016
  • Clear Blue Title
  • Previous Owner dropped it once on the right side

Picture Album here > http://imgur.com/a/eMjyb
QeLVfrL.jpg

Wow that looks like fun... he did a good job
It was fun. The teacher was very good with them (a guy and his daughter assisting). 6 kid split into 3 that had been a few times before and the 3 complete beginners so each had ~15-20 minute session then swapped over. So nice and small and plenty of 1:1 time and also time for breaks cause it's a lot to take in and lots of concentration needed for them.

Definitely go back once or twice a month probably.

That was a good year for the Ninja. Great looking bike.

Second that, great looking machine. Hope you get a good deal on it.

If I could afford it right now and lived close, I'd be on it haha. Looks real nice.

Thanks guys, I think what's putting off some people is the mileage. Talked to some people and it seems like a lot feel that bikes with 10,000+ miles are high mileage. If any gaffers want it, lmk and I'll give you a killer price.

Thanks guys, I think what's putting off some people is the mileage. Talked to some people and it seems like a lot feel that bikes with 10,000+ miles are high mileage. If any gaffers want it, lmk and I'll give you a killer price.

Could be, though for a Japanese engine... probably still got a lot of life left in it. Especially since it's a 1000.

Don't you love it when drivers pull out on you at roundabouts and then give you the tosser sign as they go past.

Hopefully one day he'll do it to someone who is a bit less forgiving than me.

Oh well chalk it up as another "made it home alive despite people trying to kill me" day.

Don't you love it when drivers pull out on you at roundabouts and then give you the tosser sign as they go past.

Oh well chalk it up as another "made it home alive despite people trying to kill me" day.

Fuckin' infuriating.

thats the way, you always have to thing for everyone else when riding. It does make me much more aware when driving a car.

Dougald

My Ducati should be going into the shop one last time next week or the week after, then I should finally be ready to share why I haven't been using it too much recently.. and no, despite being italian it didn't break down
technically

Lets just say for now that my opinion of Ducati in Reading has done a complete U-Turn, their service dept has gone above and beyond in talking to the factory in Italy.

My Ducati should be going into the shop one last time next week or the week after, then I should finally be ready to share why I haven't been using it too much recently.. and no, despite being italian it didn't break down
technically

Lets just say for now that my opinion of Ducati in Reading has done a complete U-Turn, their service dept has gone above and beyond in talking to the factory in Italy.

that is great, maybe they have new management. Hope the bike get sorted I would not feel very happy if there was constantly something wrong for something that I paid allot of money for.

technically

Haha, that's what I always say.

Good to hear.

Dougald

Absolutely gorgeous

I must have made the correct decision buying a monster because I have no desire to sell mine even after all the recent awkwardness

Dougald

I did, but I was having reading fit a little piece of carbon fibre when 'the problem' was discovered. They said it was a design flaw they'd seen before but not as extreme, so went to bat with the factory for us

I'll do a write up when it's fixed but long story short Ducati cheaped out a little bit on the design of the monster 1200 in a way they didn't on the 1200s, 1200r or 821.

I did, but I was having reading fit a little piece of carbon fibre when 'the problem' was discovered. They said it was a design flaw they'd seen before but not as extreme, so went to bat with the factory for us

I'll do a write up when it's fixed but long story short Ducati cheaped out a little bit on the design of the monster 1200 in a way they didn't on the 1200s, 1200r or 821.

Cool man, hope they sort it out quick and looking forward to the outcome.

Dougald

Well, look what showed up a month early:

Of4OHa1.jpg

Yp5AaW5.jpg

Top quality, highly recommended "walking" boots (you know I bought them for riding). Perfect fit, but be warned if you order a nonstandard width you cannot return them.

The toes are so solid I could kick a hole in a brick wall, so I don't anticipate issues shifting. Taken care of these will probably last longer than I do, just get them re-soled at the factory every 10 years.

Dougald

They're 'combination' boots so definitely no due to the height, but they are a pretty damn good compromise. It's the only bike boot they make that isn't EC certified for this reason. They do feel more solid than my short EC TCX boots though

But yes, 90% of the time I'll be using them to walk the dog! I was going to buy regular walking boots but saw they make these for only an extra 30 quid

My primary boots are AltBerg clubman full length boots which still look brand new after 5 years! Every other piece of gear has fallen apart since then, ha

Dougald

It looks like I've missed the end of the bike season waiting for Ducati parts...

Which means it's almost time to start shopping for a second bike, possibly

It looks like I've missed the end of the bike season waiting for Ducati parts...

haha, yes was riding in with the EUC this morning and you can feel the chill in the air. Time to get some over trousers with padding.

Excellent looking boots, Doug. Love buying stuff that'll probably last you for decades.

Been looking at 999's myself actually, though I'm not entirely sure why. The Ducati bug hasn't quite left me completely it seems.

Dougald

I haven't test ridden them yet but they are definitely water (and mud!) proof. They make a high leg version which would be a good riding only boot, though I prefer not to have laces

I was looking at GS' last night and weirdly the early 1150s seem to be going for a bit less than the old 1100 models. Any reason? I thought they were essentially the same apart from headlight, displacement and the addition of the oil coolers

Been looking at 999's myself actually, though I'm not entirely sure why. The Ducati bug hasn't quite left me completely it seems.

Lovely bikes. Pity the further you go back with Ducati, the harsher the servicing requirements, those 999s have the desmo service every 2 years don't they? Though knowing you, you'll do it yourself!

I haven't test ridden them yet but they are definitely water (and mud!) proof. They make a high leg version which would be a good riding only boot, though I prefer not to have laces

I was looking at GS' last night and weirdly the early 1150s seem to be going for a bit less than the old 1100 models. Any reason? I thought they were essentially the same apart from headlight, displacement and the addition of the oil coolers

Seems there a couple of important differences:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r1100gs-vs-r1150gs.111344/

A sixth gear on the 1150 being a big one.

Lovely bikes. Pity the further you go back with Ducati, the harsher the servicing requirements, those 999s have the desmo service every 2 years don't they?

Yes, I suppose that's what makes them more appealing than the 916/996/998 models. Not better looking, but their engines have a better reputation and they are supposed to be - a lot - better ergonomically. Still, would I actually use it if I was again presented with the Buell/Ducati choice in the garage? It is sufficiently different from what the (mostly) naked Buells are and do...

Hardest thing would be to let go of one of the Buells. Can't have any more bikes unless I start making more money. Insurance, taxes and maintenance will bleed a man dry.

Though knowing you, you'll do it yourself!

Maybe! I guess the main thing would be getting the right tools. Can't imagine those belt swaps being all that difficult after completely dismantling (and rebuilding) a couple of Buell engines (though as always I have to point out that I do this together with my dad :D).

Dougald

Interesting, I didn't realise that 6th gear was unique to the 1150. From riding the 1150R 6th is definitely where you want to be at sustained, long highway speeds

I actually prefer the old square light to the modern "wonky" BMW lights though. Guess I'll just go with whatever is cheapest, as I'll probably need to invest in a short seat.

Maybe! I guess the main thing would be getting the right tools. Can't imagine those belt swaps being all that difficult after completely dismantling (and rebuilding) a couple of Buell engines (though as always I have to point out that I do this together with my dad :D).

From when I was looking at it (and experience doing just basic bloody things on my M1200), its not difficult, but it is very time consuming. Belts seem to be fairly simple as long as you dont mess up the timing

Desmo valve clearances... lets just say I am thankful for those long, modern Ducati service intervals

Dougald

Nicest looking sportbike made until the 1199 panigale came along... and even then, the 999 looks far more unique, the panigale just has the fairly standard "bug eye" lights.

Same reason I've come around to the looks of the new R1 in recent times. I initially hated it but now think its gorgeous.

Yeah, I remember how (almost) everyone hated the 999 when it was first introduced, but the best designs often turn out to be the ones that aren't beautiful in a way that is immediately obvious. Same goes for those infamous Harm Lagaay 986/996 Porsche headlights. Granted, I now own a 986, so I have some incentive to love them, but I do! Took me two decades, but still :p.

/edit: so speaking of headlights... do you prefer the rectangular 1100 one or the asymmetrical assembly on the 1150?

Top Bottom