• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Ah damnit: http://thekneeslider.com/erik-buell-motorcycles-winding-down/

Press release said:
EAST TROY, WI – EBR Motorcycles, LLC (“EBR”) located in East Troy, Wisconsin will begin a wind down of production operations commencing next week. EBR will continue to honor warranties and provide technical and parts support to current dealers and riders who bought motorcycles manufactured by EBR. EBR will continue to review strategic alternatives with interested investors regarding production operations.

The decision was a tough one for EBR as it has been solely focused on the growth and building EBR for success. The team at EBR has worked tirelessly making every effort to build the company. There is no fault on any of the team at EBR for this decision. They and their families have our deepest gratitude for their efforts and dedication to EBR. This difficult decision was based primarily on EBR facing significant headwinds with signing new dealers, which is key to sales and growth for a new company. In addition, EBR has had limited production in 2016 and 2017 that was under goal. The combination of slow sales and industry announcements of other major OEM brands closing or cutting production only magnified the challenges faced by EBR.

The limited production of remaining 2017 and 2016 EBR motorcycles are currently available from EBR’s top dealers. For a list of top dealers, please go to www.EBR.com.

A sale of production equipment and excess parts will start in March.

Yeah, though it doesn't surprise me that much. Don't know how you sustain a brand based solely on a high end sportsbike these days. Especially since it's not necessarily the most outright pretty one available. Personally, I think it's cool, given the heritage and the man behind it. But yeah, you need more than that I guess. They should have tried to lead with something in the MT07/09 range given the success Yamaha's been having (that or something to succeed the Uly). Probably wasn't enough time or money to get such a project off the ground.

Dougald

Sad to see EBR go, but not surprised. They were making small numbers of prestige bikes, but unlike say, Norton, they weren't bikes with a high desireability. Plenty of people want a new Norton Commando enough to spend a fortune on it, but not too many people want a sportsbike by EBR

If only Harley hadn't killed the brand, we'd probably be seeing cool streetbikes and ADV bikes from Buell these days. Ho hum....

The biking world is poorer without Erik Buell's creations running around but its not surprising at all. Expensive bike from a small manufacturer with extremely limited dealer support...its not hard to see why nobody invested in them. They didnt have a big race series presence either to push the "win on sunday, sell on monday" angle.

nico1982

The biking world is poorer without Erik Buell's creations running around but its not surprising at all. Expensive bike from a small manufacturer with extremely limited dealer support...its not hard to see why nobody invested in them. They didnt have a big race series presence either to push the "win on sunday, sell on monday" angle.
I think EBR had a purpose, and quite a decent chance of success, only as a sub brand of Harley Davidson. They have both the money and the know-how to purse the other-than-custom market. Had they the resolve, they would best MV Agusta and maybe even Aprilia/Guzzi in sales by now.

OraleeWey

I installed this on my bike. An LED which blinks 4 times (I think) and then stays solid. What do you guys think, safer?

wx5k8pA.gif

Wolfe

Nothing wrong with that, likely to get peoples attention more than just a solid on/off.

I've got an aftermarket tail light that does the same thing plus has sequential turns, whatever I can do to make people more aware of my intentions.

Well, it would at least have your attention if you're annoyed :D.

Probably not legal, but you'd have to really annoy a police officer first for him/her to make a big deal out of it I reckon.

I flash my brake light if I'm stopped at a light and there is no car behind me. Do it manually though.

Dougald

I always thought a flashing brake light for emergencies, say, when ABS was triggered would be a good idea. Not legal in Europe though.

OraleeWey

That would distract and annoy me. I doubt it's safer. Is it even legal?
Maybe my .Gif doesn't do it justice. Here's a video

https://youtu.be/BjuCIUk9E4o

Like Fallout-NL said, if I'm annoying you, I must have your attention :)

As far as legality, idk. People do use them though. You can search forums and you'll see. Anyway, I can't find it again but I have read it in le forums that it's legal in VA as long as it flashes no more than 5 seconds and it stays solid at the end of the flash cycle. Again, I read this from some random guy on the internet though.

Well, it would at least have your attention if you're annoyed :D.

Probably not legal, but you'd have to really annoy a police officer first for him/her to make a big deal out of it I reckon.

I flash my brake light if I'm stopped at a light and there is no car behind me. Do it manually though.
I do this too with my incandescent bulb, even if there are cars behind me to let them know that I'm coming to a stop.

I'm hopeful that a cop doesn't pull me over for the LED though. I should probably carry a spare incandescent bulb in case I can get out of a ticket by swapping the lights.

I always thought a flashing brake light for emergencies, say, when ABS was triggered would be a good idea. Not legal in Europe though.

Hey, that would be a good idea. If only I had ABS though....

Wolfe

To the "that would annoy me" posts; it's literally flashing for a second or less.

In the real world I've never had any complaints (only compliments) about that kind of thing in regards to my own brake light. Also it's LED, it's going to seem extra bright when viewed from up close and directly behind (as in lower than most people's POV) while it's dark out. Anyone else on the road is not likely to be at the same angle or closeness.

Would you get down into a headlights beam path, up close by a few feet and then say "this is too bright and would annoy me" for someone's headlights?

I apologize if this comes off as abrasive but even school buses here use rapid flashing upon initial braking with their brake lights now (here in the US). It's definitely not illegal unless it's certain colors or continuous flashing afaik.

We're just trying to look out for ourselves, but I also understand that it might be something that's not ok in another country and that may alter someone's perspective on the matter.

Dougald

I think it's more a cultural thing. In Europe any sort of flashing (other than amber indicators) on a non-emergency vehicle is strictly prohibited, so we're just not used to it

As an example, I was shocked to simply see red brake lights flashing as blinkers on some cars in the US, rather than a separate amber bulb

OraleeWey

I can't even have the cool after-market LED tail light for the monster 1200 which incorporates the turn signals into the brake light here, due to regulations....

The US isn't without its stupid regulations. For example, in VA, you don't need to have turn signals on a motorcycle, like at all. BUT if you do, then they must be in full working condition and they must be 9 inches apart from each other. In other words, it's easier to just... Not have turn signals.

Dougald

Heh, that reminds me, I believe you actually *can* have no indicators in Britain, and you can even have no lights at all (you might need a brake light but I'm not sure). If you do this then it's illegal to ride outside daylight hours though

Stevey

Yeah, you can get a daytime MOT and just run a brake light.
You don't need indicators at all, but if you have them they obviously have to work.
Couple of dad's old bikes have no indicators.

Dougald

My FIL's old Velocette has no indicators either. In fact, it's so old it doesn't even need an MOT, one day I'll convince him to put it back on the road.

Wolfe

Yeah moto signals are supposed to be 8 or 9 inches apart in California too but I've yet to get any trouble for my integrated tail light and if I do it's an easy swap to throw the stock setup back on. Granted it will/would be a pita but I'm willing to accept that.

I have been directly in front of police with my turn signals on before and they didn't bother me but I also went out of my way to mount my plate in the correct location with all the required reflectors and a bright plate light. Honestly wouldn't have bothered if the light I picked up didn't have sequential signals as I felt that added the necessary clarity as to what my intentions are when using them.

Went out for a nice ride one Saturday. I missed judged the cold factor and really felt the energy being removed from my body lol

The plan was to go for an hour ride that ended up in being a 2 and a half hour ride. I did take a small detour/lost my way and took a bit longer to get home. But all good. I had the heated grips on full and only stopped to take a quick photo.

Note to self.
- In winter ride shorter rides and rather spend the other hour washing the bike
- Buy a bike that you can put some sort of wind protection on. Well in this country is worth it. That is why the GS sells so well, it does all weathers

Ra49N91.jpg

Very nice. What kind of exhaust do you have on there?

And yeah, hmm should probably make some time to wash my bikes after those short rides in the last two weeks.

Very nice. What kind of exhaust do you have on there?

And yeah, hmm should probably make some time to wash my bikes after those short rides in the last two weeks.

Its the standard akra machine gun sounding cans. I was listening to them again this weekend and dont know how they got it pass the euro 4 rating

Nice bike Max! After getting another sportbike, I want something like that or an XSR9

Cheers, I must say here in the UK the whole MT0 range has been getting really good reviews and the bikes to look nice. That XSR9 is a nice looking bike too. I just think if you going to ride most of the year you need to bit of protection. Not having a small screen to hind behind if its raining make is not so much fun.

Dougald

Yamaha's entire MT (FZ in the US) line and its derivatives like the XSR is top notch, IMO. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those bikes. The only one I didn't like so much was the vanilla MT-09, but the redesign looks awesome.

Got the back wheel back in, everything ready now, just waiting on the weather :p

Me too:

Luckily my mechanic changed the tire for free. Though I was buying 600 euros worth of parts for the project bike as well :p.

Also had him change out the steering head bearings (on the project bike) since the whole thing is dismantled now anyway:

Another thing we did is put back the original handlebars and remove all those bullshit risers the previous owner had installed (on the Uly). Plus, I washed both bikes today (Uly and X1) and took 'em for a ride. Had a bit of rain so the salt cleared, mostly, and it's dry now. Was cold, but nice.

Shitty phone pics:

Kind of a bummer that after wrenching for a long day on the Uly - thinking everything should be cool for a while :p - it had a check engine light on my way home. Only came on for about three seconds. Bike felt fine, though it had some trouble starting. I really doubt it would have the exact same issue as my X1 so soon (faulty voltage regulator). As a precaution I removed the battery and charged it, but it seemed like the ride home did charge it mostly. Could also be a bad O2 sensor or something like that. Eh, I'll figure it out before spring gets here.

/edit: Fourth bike in the back left corner there (under the cover) is Scotch's TRX850 :D

OraleeWey

Everyone still using Revzilla to buy gear? With me getting back into things, I'm looking for a new suit, helmet, gloves, and boots.

I use RevZilla and CycleGear.

I recommend you look for the certain items you want then enter them in Google search and shop for the lowest price. As long as the website has PayPal as a payment option I would consider it safe to purchase from. Also, check locally. I have a few places where I could locally shop for gear.

95% of my gear came from RevZilla or CycleGear though, 5% from local stores.

I use RevZilla and CycleGear.

I recommend you look for the certain items you want then enter them in Google search and shop for the lowest price. As long as the website has PayPal as a payment option I would consider it safe to purchase from. Also, check locally. I have a few places where I could locally shop for gear.

95% of my gear came from RevZilla or CycleGear though, 5% from local stores.

Yeah that's what I normally do. There's a CycleGear here in Pittsburgh, and I usually go there to try stuff on and where I found my last Alpinestars jacket on sale.

Any opinion on the Shoei helmets, notably the GT-Air vs. RF? I always had AGV and Scorpion, and they were terrible for a number of reasons (sound insulation, visor locking, etc.)

Dougald

I have the GT-Air, it's perfect as a commuter helmet. If you want the sun visor and maybe have a bluetooth headset, I'd definitely go for that. Wind noise is fairly low, gets a bit louder if you take out the ear padding to install bluetooth

Have an RF1200, have not tried a GT-Air though. I use the poly-chromatic shield which I really enjoy after having a starter HJC CL-17. The Shoei feels fair sturdier when actuating the moving parts, is quieter, and the visor is stiffer, resulting in less distortion and wind noise when turning your head at speed.

Do you guys replace your helmets after a certain amount of time? My RF-1100 is about 5 (or 6) years old, not sure if I should bother hanging onto it or just get a new one later this year.

Dougald

The helmet manufacturers say you should replace it every 5 years. Now... take that as you will, personally I think they're probably good for twice that if you take care of them.

I change mine every 3-4 years out of vanity though

Helmet before my current one I had for 10 years. The old one still comes in handy sometimes. I do notice the extra weight of the new one, which is one of those flip-up helmets. I like being able to ride open face around town, but the extra weight... not sure if the next one I'll buy will be of the flip up variety as well. Perhaps if they've managed to keep the weight down some more.

Top Bottom