• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Perfect! Now we just have to find a way to include me too!

jk

Just get your bike on a container ship and meet me at Southampton...

I did actually crunch the numbers on shipping a bike to the US a while back. Anything under 2-3 weeks it works out cheaper to rent a bike from BMW or Harley

Dougald

Cheaper being just slightly less prohibitively expensive.

Like a Tag Heuer is cheaper than a Rolex

The best way would be to buy a bike in Europe and sell it after, but you definitely can't do that in Britain. I think you can register it to any address in Ireland, though

OraleeWey

2 Wheel Gaf trip would be awesome. Though a downside of the international nature of our little community is that some of the distances involved are rather huge :D.

Like a Tag Heuer is cheaper than a Rolex

The best way would be to buy a bike in Europe and sell it after, but you definitely can't do that in Britain. I think you can register it to any address in Ireland, though

With a little modification to my bike I reckon I can cross the ocean and get to the other side of the world.

t7PU1d2.gif

Crushed the exam, so I went and picked up a helmet, gloves and jacket. Still need to pick up some boots and Kevlar jeans, might do that on Thursday. Tomorrow I need to go to the department of transport to upgrade my licence and I need to organise some insurance lol.

Picked up the bike and rode it back home, the clutch and front brake levers need slight adjusting but other than that it feels great. 👌

Stevey

Crushed the exam, so I went and picked up a helmet, gloves and jacket. Still need to pick up some boots and Kevlar jeans, might do that on Thursday. Tomorrow I need to go to the department of transport to upgrade my licence and I need to organise some insurance lol.

Picked up the bike and rode it back home, the clutch and front brake levers need slight adjusting but other than that it feels great. 👌

Nice one :)

OraleeWey

First and foremost I want to apologise for keeping secrets from you guys. This has been a work in progress but it's finally done now.

I finally took the plunge and upgraded.

Here it is my new 2016 KLR650

Sorry for the night pic. I was fully ready to receive my bike but the dealer had delays. They had to deliver it to me at no charge!

0 miles on the ODO

Took it for a little test drive. I would have loved to put many more miles on it today but it was rainy and I was worried I'd drop it because of the rain plus new tires.

She now sits where my 06 used to be.

I'm very happy. It handles wonderfully. Most importantly, she is mine from 0 miles. As soon as I sat and rode it I felt very "at home". Going to have to break her in. Only thing I can complain about is the kickstand, the bike sits too upright.

Dougald

Looking great, grab us some pics when the sun comes up!

I had the same issue with the sidestand on my Yamaha - it once rolled off on my driveway. If you 're worried you can always leave the bike in gear.

Dougald

I am positively champing at the bit to get back on two wheels now. I am going to put so many miles on that Ducati I'll be crying at the 9000 mile service in no time

It's time.

After selling my 08 CBR 600RR 2 summers ago, I need another bike. Looking for something to pull double duty - track and road as I did with my 600RR. Want to buy in March/April.

I've been scouring CL and CycleTrader for the past 8 months and haven't found anything great. I'm meticulous. I don't want some idiot's trashed bike 'has some scratches on the side, but it was only dropped in the driveway, not moving!' *clearly the swingarm and footpeg shearing would say otherwise*. I'm going to be buying new.

Trying to decide between these -

2017 Yamaha R6 - love the redesign and technology included (ABS, Throttle, bigger forks). Comes out in March. Probably going to have to pay the most for this one close to MSRP ($12K) since it is brand new and first gen.

Leftover Kawasaki ZX6R - could find one around me with ABS leftover from 2016 for about $9700 .

Leftover Honda CBR600RR - 2015 or 2016 are available around me for under 10K. I know Hondas the best, but no ABS available around me, plus they are behind on their tech : /

Leftover Triumph Daytona 675 ABS or 675R ABS - there are a few leftover from 2015/2016 near me. I just don't know much about working on Triumphs or European bikes, so that worries me. I know the Japanese bikes better from growing up with them and riding them all my life.

Thoughts?

Dougald

I'd go for the Yamaha if you have the money, easily. Looks the best great, (mostly) brand new tech, what more could you ask

Otherwise, I think the Daytona is a great bike, if a little long in the tooth. I wouldn't worry about the logistics of working on it, I've owned Triumphs and Japanese bikes, and I wouldn't say there's much difference in basic maintenance. Half the parts are Japanese anyway, and everything is metric these days. Triumph parts defiinitely carry a premium price along with them though, so keep that in mind.

Yeah, if had the money, R6

Just out of interest dont you fancy a bigger bike?

Sometimes I do - I could probably swing a leftover 2016 R1S for the same price as a 2017 R6, but I just never felt the need for a liter bike. Definitely don't need it on the track, except maybe for the big straights on Summit Point Main or highway riding.

The new R6, for sure.

Though for that money, I'd go for a lightly used FZ10 / MT10.

I rode the XSR900 last summer and a friend's FZ09 for a week and while I liked them, I can't stand handlebars instead of clip-ons on the road. Plus the highway speed/wind on the naked bikes was something that would exhaust me on my commute to work (25 miles one way, highway) vs. the fairings on a 600.

I rode the XSR900 last summer and a friend's FZ09 for a week and while I liked them, I can't stand handlebars instead of clip-ons on the road. Plus the highway speed/wind on the naked bikes was something that would exhaust me on my commute to work (25 miles one way, highway) vs. the fairings on a 600.

Really? Well I suppose superbike ergonomics have come a long way since the 998 I had.

Not discouraging you from going for the R6, absolutely gorgeous bike. Thought the MT10 could be a more usable alternative, but if you prefer supersport features for the road as well, then it's no contest really. I'd go with the Yamaha. The Triumph is cool, but not nearly as pretty as the new R6 imho.

OraleeWey

Alright guys, as requested here are some daytime pictures.

They're all just point and click so they're not as nice as the pictures some of you guys in here can take, but I think that the Kawasaki green makes up for my amateur images.

I put in about 100 miles today. Even though it's a lot like my old 06, I have to say, I absolutely love this bike even more. I cannot say there's one thing about this bike which is worse at than my '06. Standing on this bike is much, much less "awkward" and more comfortable. I can take curves while standing on it! A very important feature for me since I can glance down at mother nature from time to time. The handling, oh goodness me! The handling is much, much better. It basically rides itself. Minimum effort from me even though it's heavier and bulkier than my '06. I'm affected less by the wind at highway speeds as well. Speaking of highway speeds, it's much better than my '06. More comfortable. The tradeoff there of course is that the smaller and lighter '06 is better off road, of course. However, I spent more time on the highway than I do off road. I just fucking love this bike. Exceeded my expectations.

nico1982

Try a Tuono V4. Everyone like a Tuono :p It looks like a 2016 1100 RR leftover can be found for 12K.

Dougald

Looking great. I'm glad you got a green one, Kawasakis need to be green.

Treat that bike right and it could last the rest of your life.

OraleeWey

40 MB of images are a bit too much for mobile connections :p

Sorry, had no idea the images where that big

Also, wanted to ask you guys one thing. Dealer said I should bring them the bike for a 600 mile service. They call it the "first service". Is this necessary? They said they're gonna check ever nut and bolt...

The first service usually involves an oil change, to get rid of any shavings or whatever that might be in the oil as a result of running the engine in.

But the service manual should make mention of that.

(And yeah, if that's in the manual, I would definitely do that. Shit, I'd probably even do that if it wasn't)

Dougald

Also, wanted to ask you guys one thing. Dealer said I should bring them the bike for a 600 mile service. They call it the "first service". Is this necessary? They said they're gonna check ever nut and bolt...

Yes, first service is crucial and will normally include a lot of things that aren't done on your regular service, as well as an oil change. You should probably follow some sort of run-in procedure until then which ususally means keeping the revs fairly low

I'm sure new-bike fever means you'll get those first 600 miles done in no time

The first service usually involves an oil change, to get rid of any shavings or whatever that might be in the oil as a result of running the engine in.

But the service manual should make mention of that.

(And yeah, if that's in the manual, I would definitely do that. Shit, I'd probably even do that if it wasn't.)

I know some of the new Hondas (I think the CB500?) need a valve clearance check at 750 miles. Crazy

OraleeWey

I think they said it was $300 for that service. I have to check back with them, so don't quote me on that just yet.

Yeah, freaking dealers... No problem selling my bike but any issues after that they're slow in delivering... First of all I was ready to pick up my bike at 1pm. They said they would have it ready by then. Then they said, "sorry there's an issues that has nothing to do with your bike (but the have to check it) so we will have to deliver it to you". Hence the night time pictures. They also forgot to give me my owners manual. I'm going to go in today and get it. So honestly, I don't know that I can trust them with doing a good job on checking my bike over.

Dougald

Hey when I bought my Ducati I drove 2.5 hours (a long way in Europe) and they didn't even realise I was coming to collect the bike that day... so I can sympathise. Oh, and when I bought the Street Triple the guy straight up lied to me about some stuff.

If you can find a dealer who actually seems to care about you even a little bit... you give those guys as much loyalty as you can. That's why my bike is going back to my previously-hated local dealership as they were so good with my fuel tank. The guys in the service department are who make or break a dealer for me as they're who I'll be dealing with for the next few years.

Speaking of Ducati, that dealership has called me about 3 times since I bought the Monster about me buying another bike, including this morning. I try not to laugh at them.

OraleeWey

Hey when I bought my Ducati I drove 2.5 hours (a long way in Europe) and they didn't even realise I was coming to collect the bike that day... so I can sympathise. Oh, and when I bought the Street Triple the guy straight up lied to me about some stuff.

If you can find a dealer who actually seems to care about you even a little bit... you give those guys as much loyalty as you can. That's why my bike is going back to my previously-hated local dealership as they were so good with my fuel tank. The guys in the service department are who make or break a dealer for me as they're who I'll be dealing with for the next few years.

Speaking of Ducati, that dealership has called me about 3 times since I bought the Monster about me buying another bike, including this morning. I try not to laugh at them.

Damn 2.5 hours. Did they do right by you at least? Don't tell me you drove down there only to come back with nothing.

Dougald

Damn 2.5 hours. Did they do right by you at least? Don't tell me you drove down there only to come back with nothing.

Yeah, they sorted it out in the end by rushing it through the workshop in 3 hours

...Then I found out the rear brake light switch was broken
...Then they never sent off the registration paperwork and I had to chase them
...Then I discovered the huge paint scratch on the tank

And that's why I don't go to Ducati Cambridge any more! That bike is really lucky it's so good looking.

OraleeWey

Yeah, they sorted it out in the end by rushing it through the workshop in 3 hours

...Then I found out the rear brake light switch was broken
...Then they never sent off the registration paperwork and I had to chase them
...Then I discovered the huge paint scratch on the tank

And that's why I don't go to Ducati Cambridge any more! That bike is really lucky it's so good looking.

Horrible experience, sorry that happened to you.

This is why I love my Suzuki dealer; I know all the guys there and they're all super nice older gents; don't charge me when something goes sideways, bust ass to fix it up. Had the left handlebar slider fall off on the DRZ at some point while riding it and they got me a new one under warranty even though I didn't do the initial service with them (did it myself).

Ordered a bunch of Givi cases for the DL1000. Black Outback Trekker, look very nice, although the top case mounting hardware didn't come with all the washers and a little plastic bumper was incorrectly inserted into one of the support bars. Sort of amusing as the contents of that came with not one but two separate quality control notes. Emailed them and Revzilla to moan, curious what they do.

Ah crap. Was re-inserting the battery in the X1 so I can take it over to my dad to figure out why the battery isn't charging anymore (hope it isn't the stator), but I also noticed the damn front fork seal is leaking... again :(.

Good time to test out those seal mate things I got a while ago I suppose. Sigh.

Dougald

A 1200GS that actually looks built for off-road and not the Motorway, lol. I like it

I'd still buy the motorway version because, lets face it, I'm not doing much off-roading. Reminds me, I need to get a test ride on that RNineT Urban GS this year. Its a strong contender for my 2018 season

See if you can ride one that does not have the knobbly tyres on as those tyres feel like jelly on the road.I managed to sell my knobbly tyres and the GS tyres makes such a big difference.

Top Bottom