• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Yeah, might be a good idea for OraleeWey too if it turns out that off roading doesn't actually occur that often (in light of the stepping out he experienced a little while back :).

OraleeWey

I just remembered that the jacket I bought almost a year ago came with a liner which I removed for the summer. This entire time I was suffering cold weather when I could've prevented that by using that liner. It's actually very warm.

Would be nice if they can take that 800cc they have and make a light stripped down version. But what I do like about the Rambler is that it looks like it a much more compact bike, not massive wide bars and all the trims. Tank, engine and handlebar.

Dougald

I just remembered that the jacket I bought almost a year ago came with a liner which I removed for the summer. This entire time I was suffering cold weather when I could've prevented that by using that liner. It's actually very warm.

Lol, well at least you realised in the end!

Those very thin thermal underlayers are what I recommend for the cold. Plus they make you look like a Ninja.

If your stator doesn't look like a bunch of burnt charcoal then I'd say it's not as bad as mine was!

Yeah we figured that uhm, since the stator was actually generating AC it probably wasn't broken. Once the voltage regulator was exchanged, the battery read 13.7 volts or thereabouts. Should be good.

More good news, this piece of plastic actually works:
img_20170120_1642090zufr.jpg

Fork seal is dry again. That made me extremely happy for obvious reasons :D. X1 is completely operational again. Took the long way round back home. Lots of salt on the roads, but more or less completely dry so I hope I didn't pick up too much of it. Maybe give it a wash tomorrow. Was good riding again though. Really good. Such a beast that bike.

Dougald

I always wondered if those things worked! The forks on the R1150R are misting a little and I really didn't fancy pulling them or paying someone to do it.

I always wondered if those things worked! The forks on the R1150R are misting a little and I really didn't fancy pulling them or paying someone to do it.

Yeah they definitely (appear to) work. You lose a little oil when you're moving it around the fork. But after a few pumps, the seal reseats and looks dry. Rode for 30km afterwards, still dry.

Fingers crossed.

Stevey

Got the back wheel out ready for a new tire.
Took the hugger off as well,all the gravel that gets trapped inbetween it and the swingarm was annoying me, gonna polish the exhaust while I'm at it.

Stevey

Yeah it's the drive belt.
Lot less hassle than a chain, no maintenance, no mess, doesnt stretch, lasts 25000 miles,

nico1982

Wonder if they'll drop the frameless design like they did in the MotogGP bike.
I guess it is a given. The move to a V4 configuration by itself is not that relevant, albeit a four cylinder L in a monocoque would be a sight to behold. Using the same or similiar platform as the Desmosedici will greatly improve data sharing between the two teams (Moto GP and SBK) and allow Ducati to concentrate development resources.

Got the back wheel out ready for a new tire.
Took the hugger off as well,all the gravel that gets trapped inbetween it and the swingarm was annoying me, gonna polish the exhaust while I'm at it.

Hey, that's a familiar sight. What tire are you going for?

That's a belt, Buells have belt drives! Because 'Murica, I guess

25,000 mile lifespan sounds very nice.

They can last even longer if you're lucky.

The zero maintenance thing is pretty great too.

Yeah good looking tire. Never done a lot of miles on Bridgestones. Last tires I had on my Monster 620 were Bridgestones, but I traded it in before I could get a good feel for them.

Dougald

I've always run the BT23s on everything up to the Ducati (which had brand new Pilot Road 4s on it when I bought the bike). Never had any loss of traction, apart from once in a large patch of diesel in heavy rain.

Those Michelins on the Monster are good too though (if noisy). I run the Traction Control on max and it's never kicked in once. My friend with the Diavel runs the stock Pirelli tyres Ducati provides, and they're useless until you get some heat into the things.

My friend with the Diavel runs the stock Pirelli tyres Ducati provides, and they're useless until you get some heat into the things.

Yeah, that might explain why I've never liked Pirelli. Normal road use doesn't really allow for that, at least, not in my experience and the scant few corners my area does have.

Yeah, that might explain why I've never liked Pirelli. Normal road use doesn't really allow for that, at least, not in my experience and the scant few corners my area does have.

Yeah the stock Pirelli rubber that they throw on bikes is generally not very good but Ive run Diablo Corsa III's at the track and they were pretty fantastic. They arent really a track tire but they were tons of fun at the limit. They would loose grip but they always had nice progressive slip to them under power and heavy braking. Made me feel like a MotoGP hero!

I guess it is a given. The move to a V4 configuration by itself is not that relevant, albeit a four cylinder L in a monocoque would be a sight to behold. Using the same or similiar platform as the Desmosedici will greatly improve data sharing between the two teams (Moto GP and SBK) and allow Ducati to concentrate development resources.

If nothing else, Ducati has probably pushed the absolute limits of the V2 configuration. Its a sad day when Ducati drops the twin but Ive always felt that the move to the V4 was an inevitable progression for them, I just thought it would have come much sooner.

Wonder if they'll drop the frameless design like they did in the MotogGP bike.

Hopefully not. From everything Ive read and heard, the 1299 is a fantastic road bike and it sounds like they have fixed the twitchy issues with the 1199.

Dougald

I've heard nothing but good things about Pirelli on the track, just seems to be regular road use that lets them down

I suspect my super-conservative road tyres would shred to pieces on a trackday, so swings and roundabouts

Damaged

I had a set of pirelli diablo rosso II on my CB400 last summer and they were great, personally ive always been a Dunlop man though, nothing but love for the roadsmart series of tyres

OraleeWey

If anyone here who is in the US of A wants my $15 off lyft code, or a $5 credit to fandangonow.com, or .20¢ off per gallon at shell, through "gift to friend" T-mobile app promotion, PM me, I'll send you the instruction through email, as requested through the app.

I thought of you guys first when I saw that "fuel up a friend' promotion thing from shell :)

Oh I am super liking this bike. Its also got some really good reviews that it can handle a bit of offroad.

3vuB9qa.png

i8j5Uak.png

Looks like a fun bike if you dont need to cover massive distances.

Dougald

I do like the Desert Sled a lot. More of a green lane/unpaved road bike than true off-road, but it does seem like it has the capability there

I'd still have the Scrambler Full Throttle though (well, actually I'd have the Monster 1200, because both were on my list last year)

Dougald

Got the Monster booked in for its service/MOT/fixing the awful rear brake/looking at the weird noise the front wheels making at the end of the month, all ready for the new season (if it ever arrives)

Actually, the price estimate they gave me wasn't *that* bad, the service itself is only costing me about £20 more than I used to pay Triumph. Not looking forward to the desmo service though
who am I kidding I'll end up with a new bike in 2018

Yeah, if you're planning on getting something new already, definitely get rid of it before doing any kind of big service. You never see a penny of any of that anyway.

Dougald

I have the attention span of a small child when it comes to two wheels, I've been planning the next bike since about 5 minutes after I bought my current one.

Doesn't mean it'll happen though, unfortunately bikes aren't free. I plan to put several thousand miles on the Monster this year to make up for all that time it was stuck in the garage last summer.

SP1QXrp.jpg

I need to have a go on one of these this year I think. Ticks a lot of boxes for me. That and the new smaller Multistrada... and the Africa Twin....

Nice, getting my pilot road back on the undamaged Ulysses rim tomorrow. As well as picking up the last parts for our build. We've got everything now. Lightning nose included.

Top Bottom