• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

I'll scope it out after work!

The setting on the GoPro is 1080 @ 30fps. I don't do much video editing because rendering on my laptop at home would take hours.

I wish I had the LCD screen for the GoPro, it's damn near impossible to get the right view since I remove the suction mount daily.

Most of the time I was going about 50mph, most corners were between 35-50mph. First time through the pass and the lady following me isn't the most confident rider.

The contour doesn't have an LCD either, but it has a built in laser pointer that is pretty nice for aiming.

Tekniqs

B5q7N.jpg

I don't know how they outbraked themselves in C group

Tekniqs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj25XHg8La4

this is the session where the guy from my meetup group broke his collarbone so it's fairly short. skip to 2min for track time. after I pull back in to the hot pit, you can hear one of the staff members explaining what happened.

sorry for the video perspective...I mounted it flat with the horizon..didn't compensate for the riding position =( lol

My new toy! 2004 TTR-250. Super fun and street legal! I'll give both my motorcycles a wash in a few days and post photos of them together.

I'm going to replace the tank graphics and maybe get some different hand guards.

Looks great! I'm probably done with track for the year, sadly. At least I did get one day in. However I know for a fact I'll be able to finally, finally, finally get the lightweight trailer for my car. I think this spring I'll finally get on with going fairly regularly :)

Still more riding to do in this season - especially this weekend! I corrected the stupid move I made and now the fuel rail is back in place with a nice, tight seal. The items sticking out with the green on them are the secondary injectors (where I had lost one of the gaskets from unknowingly).

7988313887_28d4809178_b.jpg

edit: Woo, and done! Trying to get them even, though, is like playing an annoying videogame. Not to mention you have to get your hand wedged down in there when it's running and a wrong move could end up with a nice tattoo. Time to get this thing out...

Nice footage! I like your helmet...I had one but had to sell because it didn't fit. Took a ridiculous loss to sell it, too :(

I'm apparently not overly mechanically inclined given my fuck ups, but eventually I got it all done! I went ahead and adjusted the clutch and throttle while I was at it. Went on a four hour ride today. My damn rear tire needs to be replaced. Fucking Pirellis just do not last. The set I have are the Diablo Rosso Corsa, which is supposed to be more street friendly than Supercorsas. Feh. I've put around 2000 miles on the rear and I'm getting a bit nervous to use it.

That, and my front braking power/ability is going down, as is the rear. The rear pads are still stock at 20,600 miles...scary. Front I've had for around 2 years...just standard Galfer HH pads. Ordered a full set of EBC (organic rear, extreme compound front)...ugh. The special front compound thing better be as good as everyone says. The full set of pads ran $170.

Tekniqs

you mean the 5 continents right? I had a large previously. Thought it fit me well until I saw a youtube vid explaining how to properly assess the fit of a helmet. Sold it at a loss and bought an Xlite moon replica in medium. Fits PERFECT so I tried a medium of the 5 continents as well. Was tight the very first time I had it on but after 1 session (first time wearing it was at the track!) and it fits like a glove.

I hardly ever use my rear brakes. I ordered new front brake pads last week hoping to have it ready for chuckwalla but STG takes AGES to deliver. Came in Friday morning after I left.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=929

some speed bleeders and a bleeder bag for convenience sake.

2k miles only? that seems like a very short tire life. My PP 2cts are nearing 3k with a few track rides and still have plenty of tread left. but then again, I'm nowhere near pushing them to their limits

Yep, 5 Continents. Love some of Rossi's helmets. I do like the look of some of the X-Lite replicas but I have no clue where to get them. Where'd you get yours?

Yeah, 2k miles. I've gotten 3200-3600 out of the PP 2CT and the Power Pures for the rear. I think literbikes eat up the rear quicker. The Q2 seems to last about 3600+ for the rear and I frequently find those to be some of the cheapest. I'd say they perform very close to the Diablo Rosso Corsa, so after this set is done (bought one rear so I can finish using the front) I'll probably just switch back to Q2s for now.

Tekniqs

i ordered mine from some Italian website. I got hit with import tax lol, first time that's ever happened.

I'm planning on getting Q2s or S20s for next season...leaning more towards the newer S20s though

So what do you guys use to clean your gear? I took the padding out of my helmet, do you guys just hand wash it with some dawn or something? And what do you use to clean leather jackets? Can you take them to the dry cleaners or is there something else? Mine's getting a little stinky from sweating in it.

Hey guys,

There is this 2002 Ninja 250 about an hour away from where I live. It has 24000km on it and the price is $2300 Canadian.

Could you tell me what you think? Here are the pictures of it: http://minus.com/mQGyosYF1

Is there anything that would make you concerned? This would be my first bike so I figured it would be smart to ask.

This is what I know about it:
"Lady driven 2002 ninja 250. New tires, back break, and chain. Muzzy pipe. Never dropped."
"I've had the bike for 5 years and have hardly ridden it. It runs great and I've had the back breaks, front and back tires replaced. Great for a first bike."
"The tires were replaced in 2010 and the back breaks were replaced last fall as well as the last oil change. All will still be like new as the bike was very lightly used, Infact it was only ridden probably 5 times this year, the only reason I kept it was to get my M licence."

Thanks a lot.

Hey guys,

There is this 2002 Ninja 250 about an hour away from where I live. It has 24000km on it and the price is $2300 Canadian.

Could you tell me what you think? Here are the pictures of it: http://minus.com/mQGyosYF1

Is there anything that would make you concerned? This would be my first bike so I figured it would be smart to ask.

This is what I know about it:
"Lady driven 2002 ninja 250. New tires, back break, and chain. Muzzy pipe. Never dropped."
"I've had the bike for 5 years and have hardly ridden it. It runs great and I've had the back breaks, front and back tires replaced. Great for a first bike."
"The tires were replaced in 2010 and the back breaks were replaced last fall as well as the last oil change. All will still be like new as the bike was very lightly used, Infact it was only ridden probably 5 times this year, the only reason I kept it was to get my M licence."

Thanks a lot.

How much do they go for new up there? That seems really expensive for an old bike... The old style and almost 15k miles seems kind of crazy even with no blemishes on the paint or anything.

So what do you guys use to clean your gear? I took the padding out of my helmet, do you guys just hand wash it with some dawn or something? And what do you use to clean leather jackets? Can you take them to the dry cleaners or is there something else? Mine's getting a little stinky from sweating in it.

Padding I use soap and hot water to clean. I wring the pads out like sponges and let them air dry. For leathers I really like saddle soap for the exterior. I use the white saddle soap since my jacket is white, and it tends to do well on just about all colors without altering things. Yellow saddle soap can leave a yellow hue that's not pleasant. If you want the inside cleaned and your liner is not removable, some dry cleaners have a leather cleaning process that will treat the interior and exterior. It worked well on the jacket I used to mainly wear, which is kangaroo leather. Remove any armor before this is done.

Padding I use soap and hot water to clean. I wring the pads out like sponges and let them air dry. For leathers I really like saddle soap for the exterior. I use the white saddle soap since my jacket is white, and it tends to do well on just about all colors without altering things. Yellow saddle soap can leave a yellow hue that's not pleasant. If you want the inside cleaned and your liner is not removable, some dry cleaners have a leather cleaning process that will treat the interior and exterior. It worked well on the jacket I used to mainly wear, which is kangaroo leather. Remove any armor before this is done.

For the jacket the liner is for the winter so I rarely wore it. Instead it's like mesh inside with zippers for you to remove the armor that's in it. Maybe I should just spray it with lysol and let it air out? Just not sure what to use on it.

OK, it sounds like the actual liner (layer between the leather and you) cannot be removed. I recommend calling up dry cleaners and asking them about cleaning leather. Make sure the leather process they use is color safe. Some leather cleaners are for black leather and are harsher and could screw with the coloring on the jacket and in general be too much. It's not a bad thing to do every season. Otherwise just make sure to air it out. The leather cleaning will make a huge difference (they treat the whole thing so liner is cleaned, too). My other jacket came back smelling like roses. Even with the best of care, roo rank will set in with those things and it's not cool. Cow at least tends to not smell so bad in as little of time.

OK, it sounds like the actual liner (layer between the leather and you) cannot be removed. I recommend calling up dry cleaners and asking them about cleaning leather. Make sure the leather process they use is color safe. Some leather cleaners are for black leather and are harsher and could screw with the coloring on the jacket and in general be too much. It's not a bad thing to do every season. Otherwise just make sure to air it out. The leather cleaning will make a huge difference (they treat the whole thing so liner is cleaned, too). My other jacket came back smelling like roses. Even with the best of care, roo rank will set in with those things and it's not cool. Cow at least tends to not smell so bad in as little of time.

Ya, it actually smells better than I remember. I'll probably let it air out for a day or two outside and febreeze the inside a little and see what happens. Do you oil the leather at all to keep it supple?

How much do they go for new up there? That seems really expensive for an old bike... The old style and almost 15k miles seems kind of crazy even with no blemishes on the paint or anything.

Hm.. maybe you're right... Well new they're $5000. Used ones of the new generation (08+?) are in the $3500+ range I think, maybe a tiny bit lower.

I prefer the look of the old gen personally, but there are very few of them on the market right now here. Haven't really decided what to do TBH.

Hm.. maybe you're right... Well new they're $5000. Used ones of the new generation (08+?) are in the $3500+ range I think, maybe a tiny bit lower.

I prefer the look of the old gen personally, but there are very few of them on the market right now here. Haven't really decided what to do TBH.

I don't know the only thing that bothers me is the 15k mileage. I was able to find a lot in the states with 5k miles or so and around $2000, or cheaper if it was a private party. Maybe it's just more expensive in Canada but it just seems like a lot of mileage, especially for an aircooled engine. Do you know how to ride or have a buddy who does? I would test drive it first. Was she the only owner? I mean besides the mileage, the bike looks like it's in amazing shape otherwise. If it's that hard to find ones in canada that might just be the going rate? I just know it's cheaper in the states from what I've seen.

Like this is a random example:
http://www.thecycleexchange.com/new...2012J10I40I27JPMQ5859R0&veh=88069&pov=2852855
2009 250R Ninja for $2800 with only 7k miles and in perfect shape from just a regular used motorcycle shop so it's even more expensive than private party. Do any websites like cycletrader.com or anything work for canada? It's just hard to give advice without knowing how prices are by you, in the US that just seems expensive, especially from a private party and not even from a dealer/shop.

I don't know the only thing that bothers me is the 15k mileage. I was able to find a lot in the states with 5k miles or so and around $2000, or cheaper if it was a private party. Maybe it's just more expensive in Canada but it just seems like a lot of mileage, especially for an aircooled engine. Do you know how to ride or have a buddy who does? I would test drive it first. Was she the only owner? I mean besides the mileage, the bike looks like it's in amazing shape otherwise. If it's that hard to find ones in canada that might just be the going rate? I just know it's cheaper in the states from what I've seen.

Like this is a random example:
http://www.thecycleexchange.com/new...2012J10I40I27JPMQ5859R0&veh=88069&pov=2852855
2009 250R Ninja for $2800 with only 7k miles and in perfect shape from just a regular used motorcycle shop so it's even more expensive than private party. Do any websites like cycletrader.com or anything work for canada? It's just hard to give advice without knowing how prices are by you, in the US that just seems expensive, especially from a private party and not even from a dealer/shop.
Dang, that's cheap.

I've passed the safety course, so I know the basics but haven't been out on public roads yet. She said she's had it for 5 years. I haven't tried to haggle so maybe she would go down to $2000, not sure. You're right though, the bikes I'm seeing in the states are a lot cheaper.

For reference I'm about a couple hours outside of the Toronto area.

Dang, that's cheap.

I've passed the safety course, so I know the basics but haven't been out on public roads yet. She said she's had it for 5 years. I haven't tried to haggle so maybe she would go down to $2000, not sure. You're right though, the bikes I'm seeing in the states are a lot cheaper.

For reference I'm about a couple hours outside of the Toronto area.

Ya, like I said if you can find some websites or something that have want ads or whatever for motorcycles to get a feel of pricing it would be good. I was looking at cycletrader and stuff and they seem to be US only unless I'm missing something. It just sucks overpaying is all. I got a 96 250R ninja 2 or 3 years ago with 3k miles for $1500. It has some bumps and scraps but not bad at all for $1500.

Ya, it actually smells better than I remember. I'll probably let it air out for a day or two outside and febreeze the inside a little and see what happens. Do you oil the leather at all to keep it supple?

Saddle soap will clean and condition it, keeping it nice.

Mini product reviews...

I am going to say now to not go for Pirelli Diablo Corsa Rosso tires. They are nice. They will perform very nicely and do what you'd expect a high end dual compound sport street/track tire to do. They are supposed to have higher mileage than the Diablo Supercorsas. I'm sure they do, but not by a whole hell of a lot. My rear was done after 2300 miles or so, with 1 track day. Since the front still has plenty of life, I went ahead and slapped another one on the rear (rather, I took the wheel to a shop and they did the slapping) to burn up the set. In the future I think I'm going back to Dunlop Q2s. The rears on those usually last 3500-3800 miles for me, and they are very affordable for that level of tire. Speaking of affordable, this is the Pirelli's weakest point. You will pay well over $300 per set. Fuck that shit. A set of Q2s is a bit under $300. Having used both on the track I can say they both perform very well. The Dunlops just cost a bit less and last longer.

I was noticing more and more lever travel with the front brake, so I changed from the Galfer HH pads to EBC Extreme Pro sintered pads. The rear were OEM, still, and I put the EBC organic pads on that rotor. The organic pads are soft and have good power, but they do not bite like most brakes. The Extreme Pro pads up front, on the other hand...those are crazy. At first there is zero braking power, basically. The pads, fresh, need some time to settle/wear in. So, I was taking the bike for a quick spin. I followed the recommendations for track riders for wearing the pads in. I carefully got out of town and onto some open, straight roads and got up to 90, and braked down to 40. I did this several times at varying speeds. Within 15 minutes of doing this on and off those brakes were biting hard. There is now zero lever travel and if you squeeze a little too zealously you will crack your nuts on the tank. Perfect. Trail braking is now a bit more of a delicate process than before, though.

JoeMartin

How have I missed this thread for so long.

My baby (with my housemate's 1100 evo in the foreground):

198tm.jpg

Banged around in upstate Vermont today for a good long while. Also soapster I'm from Maryland myself, my family being in the Frederick area. I went to college at Salisbury, live in upstate NY now.

Watevaman

It sucks seeing a bike you want to get in the future on CL right now at a price you would pay but resisting due to lack of experience. It's like the ultimate tease.

spink

Sucks. Do you have to pass an inspection?

Leave HID hardware in tact, put standard bulb in, pass it...hook HID back up. If you're running a temperature way far from a conventional one for a more vivid color consider a more neutral temperature bulb, maybe. I ran 8000K in my 07 GSX-R750 when I had it and now run dual 8000K in my R1. It might be your state or country is picky.

Yeah I have to pass an inspection. I went for the whitest colour I could because our laws are ridiculous here. HID's have to be behind a projector lens and have a dedicated washer.
I'll be doing like you said though, just putting a bulb in for the inspection.

It sucks seeing a bike you want to get in the future on CL right now at a price you would pay but resisting due to lack of experience. It's like the ultimate tease.

They never stop showing up. No worries there.

Yeah I have to pass an inspection. I went for the whitest colour I could because our laws are ridiculous here. HID's have to be behind a projector lens and have a dedicated washer.
I'll be doing like you said though, just putting a bulb in for the inspection.

If it was 6500K how did you ever get caught to begin with? I mean yes they are brighter for sure but how the hell did they even find out? Is there a brightness test they can do? Usually HID hardware is tucked away and not plainly obvious.

TxdoHawk

Real quick question: In the realm of low-end, beginner-friendly bikes, I want something that looks more like a "work horse" kind of bike rather than sporty. Something like the Ural Solo sT would be perfect...

...but my understanding is that Urals are prone to problems, and a nightmare to maintain if you aren't mechanically inclined. What should I look at instead?

It wouldn't look exactly like that out of the box per se, but have you looked at Triumph's "Classics"? Moto Guzzi also makes some great looking machines that might be up your alley.

Dougald

Take a look at the Triumph Bonneville or the Kawasaki W800, both are in the same vein but will be more reliable (though the Kawasaki obviously more so)

Summer is definitely gone. The air is much crisper, and for a while the weather was just about perfect, but now it's getting on the chillier side of ideal. Less grip, less speed. The season is now on its way out. I imagine I'll still do a few more weekend rides but then put it away around/after Halloween.

How has everyone's season been (and fuck all of you who live in CA and the whole year is the season)? Mine had 1 track day, some fun backroad blasts (like today), and no real mishaps.

Watevaman

Pfft, I'm looking at just getting started once I get my carbs back. Went for a ride at Skyline Drive last February and even though I got pretty chilly on the way back, it was awesome when the sun was still out.

Dougald

So, I bought that ST1100 from my friend (I sold my car now I'm working from home, which was my justification)

38Cht.jpg

It's an ex UK Police escort bike, super smooth ride. Not sure how much use I'll get out of her but I'd much rather be riding it in the winter than the Bonneville! I have noticed a tendency for people to think I'm a copper when riding it though, even though I'm usually just riding in kevlar jeans + leather jacket.

Only problem with the bike is some rust on the swingarm, which is pretty common for the ST. I'm planning on stripping it out and having it powder coated once I move house next month.

Tekniqs

Will be cornerworking for free time at the track on Oct 20 and 27. Las vegas speedway and then on to Streets of Willow...closing out the riding season in style!

Nice Triple. I know some people cried dearly over the new headlights but I like 'em...

I live in Frederick right now.

My ex-girlfriend is from Frederick.

I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge and get termis for my 696. I've had the bike for almost a year with the stock exhaust and it's been fine, but I wouldn't mind changing things up a bit.

My ex-girlfriend is from Frederick.

I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge and get termis for my 696. I've had the bike for almost a year with the stock exhaust and it's been fine, but I wouldn't mind changing things up a bit.

O rly? Where are you from? There might be time yet this season to salvage a ride. I plan on going this weekend some assuming it's in the high 60s like it's supposed to be.

Do you want to make your bike louder? Do the Termis look much better?

O rly? Where are you from? There might be time yet this season to salvage a ride. I plan on going this weekend some assuming it's in the high 60s like it's supposed to be.

Do you want to make your bike louder? Do the Termis look much better?

I'm from PA, but currently reside in NYC. The ex and I met in college. During breaks I would visit her in MD...makes me wish I had a bike back then. There back roads there are fantastic.

Flo_Evans

But we had a wonderful weekend here!

Did a woods poker run... holy fuck am I sore. The local BMW/husky dealer brought out tons of demo 2 and 4 stroke bikes. I think I need one. X-challenge is to fucking big for serious single track!

Chillin' in the woods

They also brought this INSANE 698cc MX sidecar rig.

One of the shop sponsored riders... dude was sick fast. Humbling to say the least!

I wish I would of taken more time for pics, but after beaching my 400lb bike in deep gravel and wrestling it out I was quite knackered.

Every time I see this thread it makes me sad that I haven't been riding. I've only done about 2 track days this year and have only taken the street bike out a handful of times. Work is about an hour through traffic so I rather just take my car. Luckily, colder weather looks like its on the way for Texas so hopefully I get a nice ride in this weekend.

I did one track day this year and my total mileage was a little under 4000 for the season (though it's not quite over for me yet). I swear up and down the trailer is being acquired before spring, and I am doing at least 4 track days this coming year...hopefully 6+...

Top Bottom