• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

I actually just got my GS back together although it has a couple unforeseen problems. But when those are fixed, my riding season will just begin.

I did one track day this year and my total mileage was a little under 4000 for the season (though it's not quite over for me yet). I swear up and down the trailer is being acquired before spring, and I am doing at least 4 track days this coming year...hopefully 6+...

What kind of trailer are you getting?

Been trying to save for a house and it sucks. My track bike needs a new starter, battery, brakes and tires, but I haven't wanted to spend the money so it's just been sitting there since July or so. Track days also haven't been very exciting for me since end of last year though and I really wanted to get into racing this year to kind of reignite my spark, but I just didn't want to spend the money. I think if it did I would spend way too much and I don't want to enter that territory lol.

What kind of trailer are you getting?

Been trying to save for a house and it sucks. My track bike needs a new starter, battery, brakes and tires, but I haven't wanted to spend the money so it's just been sitting there since July or so. Track days also haven't been very exciting for me since end of last year though and I really wanted to get into racing this year to kind of reignite my spark, but I just didn't want to spend the money. I think if it did I would spend way too much and I don't want to enter that territory lol.

Almost certainly the Trailer in a Bag. Read a bunch of reviews on collapsible, lightweight ones. It's bar none the easiest to store, and that matters most to me. Sadly to get this light of a trailer that can be put away it's a hefty sum - between 1.4-1.8k or so.

Sarcasm

I been riding a scooter thats my wife's mother. Its pink (don't mind) and old (really good one though). I figured it time to get my own. I found one with a good deal. A 125cc kymco gp 125.

1373654_01_main.jpg

Now maintenance is cheap and across from where I live..but what can I do? What is a good method to keep it clean (wipe down every day?)? Also good way to clean a helmet visor? This will be my first own scooter.

I been riding a scooter thats my wife's mother. Its pink (don't mind) and old (really good one though). I figured it time to get my own. I found one with a good deal. A 125cc kymco gp 125.

http://www.savesafe.com.tw/ProdImg/1373/654/01/1373654_01_main.jpg

Now maintenance is cheap and across from where I live..but what can I do? What is a good method to keep it clean (wipe down every day?)? Also good way to clean a helmet visor? This will be my first own scooter.

Keeping it clean? The way you'd wash a car. I usually just use warm water and a cloth to wipe off the helmet, sometimes a little bit of soap.

Dougald

I would check the reliability out before buying one. I have heard terrible, terrible things about the Chinese bikes, but I have an inkling that the scooters are of a bit better quality

Almost certainly the Trailer in a Bag. Read a bunch of reviews on collapsible, lightweight ones. It's bar none the easiest to store, and that matters most to me. Sadly to get this light of a trailer that can be put away it's a hefty sum - between 1.4-1.8k or so.

Ouch, how did you get the bike to the track before..? When I started doing track days and figured I'd need a way to transport my own bike...I bought a Nissan Titan lol.

Sarcasm

Well I live in Asia. Kymco I believe is a Taiwan brand. Wife's sister drives one (not same model a cheaper one). I been looking for over 6 months.

I ask about cleaning and such since:

1) I don't live in a house. I live in a community. Penthouse 13th floor. SO most of car stuff DIY is banned.

Ouch, how did you get the bike to the track before..? When I started doing track days and figured I'd need a way to transport my own bike...I bought a Nissan Titan lol.

Not worth it for me to have two vehicles, and anything above a commuter is a waste for me. My car (05 Civic) has been paid off for years. I already had a good hitch installed :)

The two track schools I did were on their bikes (S1000RRs), and for track day 1 with my bike I borrowed my dad's truck and rented a trailer (really hated doing it this way). The second was with a friend and we still rented a trailer but we took his truck, and that worked out better, but he only does maybe 1-2 track days a year. I want to go at least every 1-1.5 months.

Watevaman

I put some .90 springs in my GS500 today. Along with the Katana rear shock, it makes it so much more planted and solid in turns. Feels really good.

TCRS

Banned
Well I live in Asia. Kymco I believe is a Taiwan brand. Wife's sister drives one (not same model a cheaper one). I been looking for over 6 months.

I ask about cleaning and such since:

1) I don't live in a house. I live in a community. Penthouse 13th floor. SO most of car stuff DIY is banned.

Kymco scooters are very good. I would love to get a Downtown 300 myself one day.

As far as cleaning goes there must be places like car washs where you can wash you scooter. Just don't forget to cover up the exhaust outlet, you don't want water in there... When using a pressure washer be careful. Don't hold it too long on one spot and don't try to go near linkages and bearings and stuff. The oil and grit there is there for a reason!

Sarcasm

Kymco scooters are very good. I would love to get a Downtown 300 myself one day.

As far as cleaning goes there must be places like car washs where you can wash you scooter. Just don't forget to cover up the exhaust outlet, you don't want water in there... When using a pressure washer be careful. Don't hold it too long on one spot and don't try to go near linkages and bearings and stuff. The oil and grit there is there for a reason!

Thanks!

Also what is the best way to clean a helmet visor?

AND..best way to remove stickers from my new scooter?

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Got this baby a couple of months back. Its my first bike.

Scary and crazy fun at the same time. Im learning everything about it the hard way.

Xs3MZ.jpg

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I LOVEEEEEEEEE riding my motorcycle. I named her Lucia. I love riding so much, it feels like I am one with nature and feel the awesome breeze in my face. I love not having to wait in traffic as well. I wish I bought a bike when I was younger, its such a great feeling! Next I wnat to get into dirtbikes and hopefully be able to do a backflip in my lifetime!!

I watched Long Way 'Round and Long Way Down recently. I enjoyed them both quite a bit.

Anyone have other recommendations of cool motorcycle adventure films?

HylianTom

Banned
Okay, two-wheel GAF!

I used to be a member of your ranks, from 2002 through 2007; I had a KLR650 that I went absolutely nuts on and rode into the ground over tens of thousands of miles until I finally sold it and bought a Jeep. (my dog appreciated this, as I could take him everywhere I went with the Wrangler)

But I won a bet with my partner recently. A very high-stakes bet. And as a result of this victory, I get to buy a new ride soon. Up until recently, I was thinking about another KLR, but I'm not getting any younger, and slinging my leg over a 35"-high seat every day isn't very appealing. I also don't plan on doing nearly as much off-road riding as I used to. And I want something that just plain looks better; the new KLRs (apparently they changed in 2008) aren't my cup'o'tea aesthetically.

There's also the fact that I've always had my heart set on getting one of Triumph's classics.

OB-EF192_retrob_G_20090807143429.jpg

The Triumph Scrambler, with optional arrow exhaust system

Does anyone here ride of these, or one the Bonneville or Thruxton? Thoughts?

There's a "create-my-Triumph" app on the website where you can choose whatever add-on options you'd like. Any recommendations?
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/accessories/create-my-triumph

-----

edit:
I'm reading the local Ducati/Triumph dealer's blog right now, and have found this entertaining advertisement..
BikeBlogHide-from-Wife.jpg

Hiding a bike from the wife? Haha!

iamblades

I'm starting to hate roofers lately.

Seems like every damn road around where I live is contaminated with scraps of asphalt shingles laying around randomly. Really annoying to have to dodge potential landmines while going around a nice corner..

Dougald

Okay, two-wheel GAF! Does anyone here ride of these, or one the Bonneville or Thruxton? Thoughts?

I've never ridden the Scrambler, but I own a 2007 Bonneville. It's a great bike, I put nearly 3,000 miles on the clock touring all around France this summer and she held up perfectly well.

From what I understand the main difference is the riding position is a little different on the Scrambler. I will say that I have tried the newer "mag wheel" Bonneville and didn't find the handling as good, possibly because of the smaller wheels (although that was an EFI version and I have a carb'd bike).

Worst point about the bike? The pitiful range. I find I get 100 miles out of the tank before i have to filll up or switch to reserve.

Tenck

Does anyone know bikes with a form factor of the Harley Davidson Sportster? Not sure I'm ready to spend all my money on a Harley Davidson so I'm just looking for something just a bit cheaper.

Dougald

Does anyone know bikes with a form factor of the Harley Davidson Sportster? Not sure I'm ready to spend all my money on a Harley Davidson so I'm just looking for something just a bit cheaper.

For something very close to the 883 sportster, have you looked at the Honda VT750? There's also the aforementioned Triumph Bonneville or Kawasaki W800?

Tenck

For something very close to the 883 sportster, have you looked at the Honda VT750? There's also the aforementioned Triumph Bonneville or Kawasaki W800?

Still pretty expensive, but I guess that's to be expected. That Kawasaki one looks so damn good though.

Okay, two-wheel GAF!

I used to be a member of your ranks, from 2002 through 2007; I had a KLR650 that I went absolutely nuts on and rode into the ground over tens of thousands of miles until I finally sold it and bought a Jeep. (my dog appreciated this, as I could take him everywhere I went with the Wrangler)

But I won a bet with my partner recently. A very high-stakes bet. And as a result of this victory, I get to buy a new ride soon. Up until recently, I was thinking about another KLR, but I'm not getting any younger, and slinging my leg over a 35"-high seat every day isn't very appealing. I also don't plan on doing nearly as much off-road riding as I used to. And I want something that just plain looks better; the new KLRs (apparently they changed in 2008) aren't my cup'o'tea aesthetically.

There's also the fact that I've always had my heart set on getting one of Triumph's classics.

OB-EF192_retrob_G_20090807143429.jpg

The Triumph Scrambler, with optional arrow exhaust system

Does anyone here ride of these, or one the Bonneville or Thruxton? Thoughts?

Friend of mine has it, he absolutely loves it, but he's a Steve McQueen worshipping Englishman so this is like his dream bike. It's fairly tall.

Dougald

Still pretty expensive, but I guess that's to be expected. That Kawasaki one looks so damn good though.

If you want to go older & cheaper, there's the precursor to the W800, the W650, if you can find one, or the old VT600, I heard good things about that from a guy I know who now rides a VTX.

In retro-styled bikes, I LOVE the new (to the UK) Honda CB1100. I'll definitely be test riding one next year.

TCRS

Banned
I love the Bonneville Steve McQueen edition:

triumph-bonneville-steve-mcqueen.jpg

saw one at a dealership in London, beautiful bike.

edit:
the 883 Sportster is a dream bike of mine. One day...

Dougald

My local Triumph dealership had a Steve McQueen bike in for a few months (cancelled order).

Every time I rode by I would stare lustfully at it.. before realizing I was already riding a British racing green Bonneville..

They also had one of these, on 0% finance... if I hadn't just bought the ST1100 it would have been hard to say no (Daytona 675R Dark)

YgB0B.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
Friend of mine has it, he absolutely loves it, but he's a Steve McQueen worshipping Englishman so this is like his dream bike. It's fairly tall.

Height's not an issue, thank goodness. The KLR had a higher seat (around 35") than the Scrambler; I had to near-tippy-toe at red lights, which I never quite got comfortable with over the years. The slightly lower height (about 32") is actually going to be a bit of a welcome change.

I've done a ton of reading about the Scrambler (its issues, customization options, etc) over the past few months. I've always wanted a classic bike of this style, and this is my chance. The KLR served as a great learning bike. This one's going to be my long-term baby.

A buddy also let me borrow his Bonneville a few weekends ago; riding around town on a beautiful Autumn day was intoxicating. It was like I was gliding around town, alongside the streetcar, over the levee, through the narrow French Quarter streets. I know I sound like a damn commercial, but it was dreamy. Being able to grab a quick parking spot so much more easily is a such a damn good perk in this town.

I put my deposit down later on this week. If they can order or find me a Khaki Green one, they've got my money.

Birdman02

It looks like I'll finally be able to join 2 wheel GAF before the end of the year. I'm taking the safety course this weekend. Unless I absolutley hate it, I'll have a bike in the next few weeks.

I'm really liking the liking the Harley 883 even though I know I'm paying a little more just for the Harley name. It seems most people think it makes an ok starter bike. The dealer is trying to talk me in to a 1200, but it looks like the 883>1200 conversion kit is cheaper than the difference between the 2 models...if that even becomes an issue for me.

Just a little about me...I'm 6'1" and about 250 lbs and a brand new rider. The bike will basically be my transportation to and from work once I get comfortable on it. My drive is a 15-20 minute straight highway drive. Do you guys think the 883 will be a good bike for me?

It looks like I'll finally be able to join 2 wheel GAF before the end of the year. I'm taking the safety course this weekend. Unless I absolutley hate it, I'll have a bike in the next few weeks.

I'm really liking the liking the Harley 883 even though I know I'm paying a little more just for the Harley name. It seems most people think it makes an ok starter bike. The dealer is trying to talk me in to a 1200, but it looks like the 883>1200 conversion kit is cheaper than the difference between the 2 models...if that even becomes an issue for me.

Just a little about me...I'm 6'1" and about 250 lbs and a brand new rider. The bike will basically be my transportation to and from work once I get comfortable on it. My drive is a 15-20 minute straight highway drive. Do you guys think the 883 will be a good bike for me?

I don't think any Harley is going to make a great commuter bike, but that's not the point of riding motorcycles. Your daily enjoyment will probably more than make up for any discomfort.

Also, the 883 isn't an incredibly expensive bike, right? It's less than 10.000 euros in the Netherlands, which means it's next to nothing over on your end (by comparison).

Tekniqs

Not worth it for me to have two vehicles, and anything above a commuter is a waste for me. My car (05 Civic) has been paid off for years. I already had a good hitch installed :)

The two track schools I did were on their bikes (S1000RRs), and for track day 1 with my bike I borrowed my dad's truck and rented a trailer (really hated doing it this way). The second was with a friend and we still rented a trailer but we took his truck, and that worked out better, but he only does maybe 1-2 track days a year. I want to go at least every 1-1.5 months.

where are you from?

demented

Was offered a 2005 R1 in great shape but meh, I have enough experience for it but it's still too much for the city(and for me in general), 50-100eur more expensive registration, probably uses more fuel, upkeep etc :\ but it is preeeeetyy

oh and 600 will be ~3 years newer when I get it next year and fit my needs better, started selling my gladius now slowly, will do it at more sites and papers next year.

^ I actually use a liter for my street bike while the 600 does track duty. I do enjoy the extra power on the highway, but honestly either one would work just fine. Been debating if I should go ahead and track the liter bike as well since I'm hardly ever riding the streets anymore anyway, though I haven't done any track lately either..

Top Bottom