• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

demented

Yeah we don't have highways here :p mostly twisty roads but often in bad quality (holes, stuff on road etc) so no chance to "go crazy".

And I need to buy new car next year so extra money saved will help
want one of those red white R6s tho mmmm :3

But then again another few things I'm taking into consideration are: weight, 600 is lighter and easier to flick around but I'm not sure how long the power will keep me satisfied, I get bored of things fast. It's not that I push bikes the max (far from it, happened just once on deserted road) a lot I just like having a lot of speed when I need it(to pass slow car for example) and very good breaks(very important to me) but then there is too much power hm. I should try that R1 but I'm never comfortable riding other people's bikes.

I should talk to some people here that own 1cc and that are not selling it but everyone I know is so why would I trust them heh :p

demented

Newer 1000 ccs are expensiveeee tho, this is the one I was offered
21104_0_1_2_yzf-r1_Image%20credits%20-%20Yamaha.jpg

If I had the money I'd probably buy bmw or ducati liter bike anyway :)

Edit: I'll write a list bit later with pros and cons for both, I'm really considering it again now.

Yeah we don't have highways here :p mostly twisty roads but often in bad quality (holes, stuff on road etc) so no chance to "go crazy".

And I need to buy new car next year so extra money saved will help
want one of those red white R6s tho mmmm :3

But then again another few things I'm taking into consideration are: weight, 600 is lighter and easier to flick around but I'm not sure how long the power will keep me satisfied, I get bored of things fast. It's not that I push bikes the max (far from it, happened just once on deserted road) a lot I just like having a lot of speed when I need it(to pass slow car for example) and very good breaks(very important to me) but then there is too much power hm. I should try that R1 but I'm never comfortable riding other people's bikes.

I should talk to some people here that own 1cc and that are not selling it but everyone I know is so why would I trust them heh :p

Though the 600's are lighter than the 1000's, it isn't too much of a difference imo. Not sure about the Yamaha's, but on my Kawi's, my zx10 doesn't feel that much heavier than 636, though there is probably about a 20 lb difference (according to official dry weights). Not a huge drastic change in weight, but a huge change in power. Besides, weight won't matter as much for street riding since you won't be constantly flicking it from one side to another like the track. One thing to consider is liter bikes seem to wear down tires faster. But if you aren't doing anything crazy riding then they should last you for awhile.

Get the BMW S1000RR...I want one so bad.

demented

Ok so here's the breakdown, for about the same money I can get 2005 R1 or 2008 R6.

Pros and cons for both:

R6:
+ newer
+ probably in better shape despite the way either was kept(only going for as good as new)
+ costs less to register (370 vs 330 aprox)
+ probably less for maintenance, tires
+/- less power, on one hand now it might not sound as plus but I do get bored fast and look for something more.
+ probably uses less fuel?

R1:
+ Can get it now without actually having to sell mine
+ in great shape
- older, had more mileage (but I know it's in great state)
+ it's R1! There's local trashy as fuck but funny song about R1 called R1 or none other haha
- all stuff from above that are opposite for it, costs bit more to register, power is +/- depending on how fast I get used to it, maintenance, resale value

I don't really know, I'm bit torn here. I also fear I might not be able to sell my gladius for 4k and will have to pay up more for new bike when I get it but I can swap it for R1 and pay up to 500eur now hm

Dougald

If I had the choice I'd take the R6 for the city, there can't be much difference in power at the speeds you'll be going, and the R6 has gotta be more nimble.

But the simple answer is try both and pick whatever makes you feel the happiest when you're riding it.

demented

Yeah, but in UK it rains a lot and you have shit weather, here it was 20c yesterday and perfect time for riding XD
I'm gonna go see it tomorrow and check it with my mechanic friend then think more!

Tekniqs

The r6 is happiest at high RPMs....take that ad you will for street riding.

600s have PLENTY of pull...way more than you'll ever need on the street... just my opinion

06+ R6 is really a track bike. Peaky 600 (so very peaky overall) engine and very much track style ergos. I wouldn't ride one on the street.

demented

No tracks here either, closest is 12+ hours away in different country, expensive trip too :p
I'll go test it tomorrow and talk to mechanic friend and just see how it feels. I read a lot and heard lots of opinions so it's just up to testing it now and if it's all good getting the right price.

daw840

It looks like I'll finally be able to join 2 wheel GAF before the end of the year. I'm taking the safety course this weekend. Unless I absolutley hate it, I'll have a bike in the next few weeks.

I'm really liking the liking the Harley 883 even though I know I'm paying a little more just for the Harley name. It seems most people think it makes an ok starter bike. The dealer is trying to talk me in to a 1200, but it looks like the 883>1200 conversion kit is cheaper than the difference between the 2 models...if that even becomes an issue for me.

Just a little about me...I'm 6'1" and about 250 lbs and a brand new rider. The bike will basically be my transportation to and from work once I get comfortable on it. My drive is a 15-20 minute straight highway drive. Do you guys think the 883 will be a good bike for me?

As a fellow MaddenGAFfer, please stay away from a Harley as your first bike....get a 90s Japanese inline 4 (like a Nighthawk) to learn on. You can lay it down and not feel bad about it. I laid my first bike over at least 3 times. Albeit mostly in the driveway. You can pick one up for 2 grand.

daw840

If your in the UK you should seriously consider an SV1000S

They are very popular over there it seems. I love mine.

It has a crazy amount of power while still being entirely manageable and not twitchy at all due to the v twin engine.

I did hit 104 in 2nd gear the other day.....it made me smile. :)

No tracks here either, closest is 12+ hours away in different country, expensive trip too :p
I'll go test it tomorrow and talk to mechanic friend and just see how it feels. I read a lot and heard lots of opinions so it's just up to testing it now and if it's all good getting the right price.

Honestly, ride em both and see which one you like more. Forget about all the positives and negatives and just see which one puts a bigger grin on your face.

ilbambino

Just saw this thread. I used to have an Honda Shadow VLX '95, and had it for more than 10 years, and consider it a good bike to start if you're interested in cruiser-type motorcycles. I got a Yamaha FZ1 on may of this year, and so far it has been a great experience. I was torn between a R6 and a FZ1, but chose the latter due to its upright position. The bad thing is that my city doesn't have long roads, so i mostly have to ride in 2nd gear.

Here's a picture of my bike.

8188318112_b3cedca678_b.jpg

HylianTom

Banned
It is DONE. :)

The shop here in town didn't have the color I wanted (khaki green), but they're able to get one transferred here from a shop on the east coast. They had a matte graphite one - which is lovely in its own way - but given that this is going to be my baby for a long, long time, I kinda had my heart set on the green.

Looks like I picked the best time of the year to buy. First, their usual holiday sales period started this week: they're offering a $500 allowance on all parts and accessories with the purchase of a bike. Then, ending on November 1st, they're offering free installation on all parts purchased. The dealer confirmed today that the offers are stackable, along with cheap financing. I was giddy.

After playing with the "Create My Triumph" app (HERE), I decided to go with the Arrow exhaust system, a skid plate, a grab bar, a locking gas cap, and a headlamp grille. The bike should get here sometime late next week, so if I want to add anything else, I have until then. (I'm open to suggestions!)

Dougald

Awesome! The Arrow exhausts make the bike sound so much better, and you've already chosen a locking fuel cap which I would have also recommended.

I have to tell you that you've made an awful mistake - there are SO many accessories for the "modern classic" Triumphs, your wallet will never be the same again. My one piece of advice to you is to keep your starter key SEPARATE from everything else. Because of where it's located on the bike, if you have a keychain slapping around it will scratch all the black paint off the surrounding area (I learnt this the hard way).

I assume you're in the US/North America, so check out newbonneville.com - they have a huge range of accessories.

I've nearly finished renovating the swinging arm on my ex-police Honda (took way longer than I had hoped), so I'm looking to christen it on Sunday with a long ride up to & around London. I'm getting the itch to plan another Bonneville trip with my friend too - I'd like to go out to Munich then onto the Swiss & Austrian alps this time.. but it might be a couple of years before we can both get that sort of time off again

DrBo42

Can you not get a used Bonneville for less than $5000?

I paid about that for my 2007 model, though I am in the UK..

I've yet to see anything near that price here in the US for a used model. I think the closest was $6500 for a 2005 with quite a few miles on it. Ridiculous. Anyone know of some good used bike resources or sites?

Dougald

Wow you are right I just had a quick search and everything seems to be >$6000

What about a Kawasaki W650? The thing about that bike is unfortunately it's probably a lot harder to find, but it should be cheaper I'd think

Any nice cruisers I can get for $5000 US? Want to get a Bonneville but they're pricey as fuck.

I've yet to see anything near that price here in the US for a used model. I think the closest was $6500 for a 2005 with quite a few miles on it. Ridiculous. Anyone know of some good used bike resources or sites?

Any reason for a cruiser? Do you just want the look or are you looking just for comfort in general? There are bound to be standards (which the Bonnie is more of from what I can tell, anyway) in your price range that would easier/nicer to ride.

Check Craigslist and Cycletrader.com - at the latter, I found an 06 Bonneville for $4700.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
WOW! Looks fantastic! What is it?

Thanks! Its a Yamaha SR400. The seat is custom and the handlebars are either custom or put on in a weird way so its looks a bit more badass than a stock SR400.

Duderz

Banned
I got my 2003 Bonneville with 5700 miles on it for $4500 earlier this year. I checked Craigslist pretty much every day, but the deals are out there.

DrBo42

Haha yeah. I came across a used 2012 T100 that had 30k miles on it for $7000 and figured well... that's almost half the lifespan of an air-cooled engine. Might as well just go for the new model.

Dougald

Nice! I hope you enjoy it, mine never fails to bring a smile to my face. You do realise that the expenses will never end once you discover the plethora of aftermarket accessories available, right?

DrBo42

Nice! I hope you enjoy it, mine never fails to bring a smile to my face. You do realise that the expenses will never end once you discover the plethora of aftermarket accessories available, right?

I don't even want to think about that right now. Gotta focus on the insane amount of money I need to spend on gear first. Haha.

Dougald

I recommend eBay/craigslist/etc as a good start on gear (though not for a helmet), I picked up a £340 triumph leather jacket, worn about 5 times and then "outgrown" for £50 when I started riding.

HylianTom

Banned
After a noticeably suspicious salesman photocopied all the bills, a 2013 Bonneville T100 Jet Black was mine.

Congrats! The Bonnie tempted me for quite a while before I made my choice.. such a good-looking bike!

The Scrambler should be arriving on Tuesday, and I'll make my pickup on Saturday (they'll take a day or two to install the accessories/parts I ordered with it). Gonna be so damn sweet! :)

I don't even want to think about that right now. Gotta focus on the insane amount of money I need to spend on gear first. Haha.

Congrats on the purchase! Check out closeout stuff for lots of good deals. There are lots of good online stores you can check out.

JoeMartin

Soap I'm home on transfer leave and I hope you're getting as much use out of this global warming as I am. Hadn't been able to ride for weeks up in NY, absolutely gorgeous down here.

Top Bottom