• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I need 2 wheel GAF help. I'm looking to take riding classes and get my license this year. I have zero experience. Now I'm curious what a good cruise bike for a taller guy would be when the time comes. I'm 6'4 220lbs and I've read about forward controls, other slight mods to assist with fitting.

My thing is I read a lot about a 'starter bike' to learn on, or one that you will end up dropping. I get that, its just.. I'm stubborn and don't see the point in buying a starter bike b/c well.. I'm stubborn. I'm not even exactly sure what my budget is but the wife doesn't care if I ride so long as I get a new(er) bike. She doesn't want me riding around on something more than 5 years old.

I've looked at a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom, but everything else in the 750 range is probably far to small for me right? Even the 900 might be a tad small, and I keep reading that taller riders just are better off looking at 1200cc bikes and up? Lastly, definitely interested in a cruiser and not an upright cycle.

Any advice?

get a used sportster or heavy iron 883, or a v-star 650. they are light enough (for a big bro) that you can sling 'em around a bit until you learn to brake properly. you ARE going to drop it, and the heavier it is, the more likely you will drop it. don't go new on your first bike unless you are so in love with being stubborn that you don't mind shedding several hundred dollars within the first year. your wife will care when she gets that first bodywork bill.

i started out on a beat-ass rebel 250 and i beat its ass even more until i felt comfortable, and THEN i moved up to 850cc. (now i have a 250cc scooter in the stable to treat like trash and heave around.)

koryuken

I need 2 wheel GAF help. I'm looking to take riding classes and get my license this year. I have zero experience. Now I'm curious what a good cruise bike for a taller guy would be when the time comes. I'm 6'4 220lbs and I've read about forward controls, other slight mods to assist with fitting.

My thing is I read a lot about a 'starter bike' to learn on, or one that you will end up dropping. I get that, its just.. I'm stubborn and don't see the point in buying a starter bike b/c well.. I'm stubborn. I'm not even exactly sure what my budget is but the wife doesn't care if I ride so long as I get a new(er) bike. She doesn't want me riding around on something more than 5 years old.

I've looked at a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom, but everything else in the 750 range is probably far to small for me right? Even the 900 might be a tad small, and I keep reading that taller riders just are better off looking at 1200cc bikes and up? Lastly, definitely interested in a cruiser and not an upright cycle.

Any advice?

You will drop it. The prettier your bike is, the more you will cry when you fuck it up. Just my .02c. I dropped my starter bike 3 times and broke the brake handle each time. Had to wait 30 minutes for the carborator to un-flood and then ride home using the rear brake only...

daw840

get a used sportster or heavy iron 883, or a v-star 650. they are light enough (for a big bro) that you can sling 'em around a bit until you learn to brake properly. you ARE going to drop it, and the heavier it is, the more likely you will drop it. don't go new on your first bike unless you are so in love with being stubborn that you don't mind shedding several hundred dollars within the first year. your wife will care when she gets that first bodywork bill.

i started out on beat-ass rebel 250 and i beat its ass even more until i felt comfortable, and THEN i moved up to 850cc. (now i have a 250cc scooter in the stable to treat like trash and heave around.)
Don't do this. You're too tall. Get a used victory Vegas. My wife has a VStar 650 and I feel like its too small for me. I'm almost six foot.

huh, i'm 6 foot, and i feel like the v-star 650's just about right. tiny is a rebel or virago! i don't like cruiser seating, though; i prefer touring or enduro seating. besides, for a starter bike, yer gonna want to have a little knee bend off the seat unless you want to be the victim of your own newbie braking skillz.

daw840

huh, i'm 6 foot, and i feel like v-star 650's just about right. tiny is a rebel or virago! i don't like cruiser seating, though; i prefer touring or enduro seating.
Idk. Maybe I'm biased. My wife rides a VStar 650 custom and my legs feel cramped up. It's tiny.

well, the goal of a first bike is not to have the RIGHT bike, but to get enough skills to make yer second bike a proper purchase, having figured out your riding style and preferences. to that end, forfeit a little ergonomics and power and focus on getting something that compensates for the fact that you will SUCK ON TWO WHEELS for the next 6 months to a year, and to minimize the consequences of your sucking. after a couple K miles on it, you will be able to much better choose the bike that's right for you -- and for much less financial investment.

i vote to swallow the lust and/or impatience and to open up craigslist and buy an early oughts beater from honda/yamaha/suzuki. since he seems to really love cruisers, i figured one of the used sportsters in circulation could be picked up for a fair price (albeit much higher than a used japanese cruiser), and could probably also make a decent trade-in on the bike of his dreams presuming he doesn't toast it.

GONZO

Recently got rid of my 2007 CBR600RR ("I'm getting too old for this shit") and got a 2012 Triumph Bonneville SE. Love it, no regrets. I highly recommend this bike.

20120728_185146.jpg

Good man!! I love triumphs and I miss my 675 terribly. But like you I also went with something a bit more practical and comfortable:

spark9.jpg

alphaNoid

Banned
Ok thanks guys, I appreciate the honesty. Perhaps I should just get a beater first .. and thats ok I suppose. So the question then is, what is a good.. somewhat stylish/affordable first bike for that purpose then?

edit. Holy shit those Bonnevilles are HOT

GONZO

Bonnies are beautiful bikes and stone cold reliable too. For your frame they would make a good starter bike. Just find one as old and used as you can. As it has been mentioned you will drop it. Everyone drops their first bike.

Dougald

My Bonnie was my first bike (and I'll be keeping it until I die), so I'd agree they are great for a beginner, as long as you've had some proper lessons. If I'd jumped straight onto a Bonneville the result wouldn't have been pretty - in my first lesson I got target fixation on a corner and rode straight off the road, on a CG125 that's just embarassing, but on a bigger bike it could have been another story entirely. After taking several road tests on a GS500, going to the Bonneville was easy.

Also, just accept that you will drop whatever you buy, mine went down on gravel in France and I had to ride the next 1,500 miles with a 1.5 inch brake lever!

Duderz

Banned
My first bike is also a Bonnie, and I have dropped it twice thus far. (hurt both times, but thankfully both times were very very minor scratches) Absolutely love it. No complaints.

koryuken, first things first with your new T100, switch out the stock pipes with something that has more oomph to them. Predators or Dominators are probably top of the line. Arrow exhausts as well.

Enjoy!

524739_607653293026_1363971379_n.jpg

Heading up to The Rock Store

Dougald

Ahh I'd love a pair of Norman Hyde pipes on my bike, but I'm keeping them stock. I use it every day and don't want to piss off the neighbours. Unfortunately there aren't any street legal aftermarket pipes out there for the Bonneville, even the TORs, which seem to be the quietest you can buy are a bit too loud (and stamped for off-road use to help any policemen on a bad day).

Not that it's stopped me investing in other accessories, there are so many aftermarket options for the Bonneville!

All this talk has made me want to get her out a little early now.. I have to ride up to London today which in these temperatures is more a job for my ST1100, but the Bonneville will be more fun and let me skip the traffic..

Fully loaded, belting up the Pyrénées (8 hours before I dropped it and destroyed the original brake lever)

Nander

My first bike is also a Bonnie, and I have dropped it twice thus far. (hurt both times, but thankfully both times were very very minor scratches) Absolutely love it. No complaints.

koryuken, first things first with your new T100, switch out the stock pipes with something that has more oomph to them. Predators or Dominators are probably top of the line. Arrow exhausts as well.

Enjoy!

What jacket is that? It's pretty much what I've been looking for, a nice classic jacket without any ugly logos.

i started out on a beat-ass rebel 250 and i beat its ass even more until i felt comfortable, and THEN i moved up to 850cc. (now i have a 250cc scooter in the stable to treat like trash and heave around.)

Never dropped a bike in my life, Drinky :p.

Started out on a new bike too.

:D

The Bonneville looks good by the way.

Personally I'm waiting for a couple of good showers to clear the salt here in the Netherlands before I take out the Monster.

In other news, I checked out another Buell last weekend. I almost bought one last spring, and it hasn't stopped bothering me since then. The one I saw recently was a black S1 Lightning. It sounded glorious. But it wasn't running quite right. Told the guy that if he could it to start and idle without issue I'd be willing to take another look.

TCRS

Banned
That's a lovely bike Dougald. All cozy and stuff :D

I've dropped my bike only once as a learner. It was at rolling speed, so only a few scratches. Was on my third day after getting the bike.

Dougald

I highly recommend the airhawk seat I had on there in the picture. Made the 3000 miles go much more comfortably... After the first few hundred I figured out that I could use the rollbag on the pillion seat as a backrest :)

I also dropped a disc lock on the tank mere hours after buying that bike... it now has a dent big enough that only I can see! I was thinking of getting it repainted in green + gold at some point in the future to cover that up.. when I can afford it

Garibaldi

There's a moped thread on GAF? Shit the bed! Now I don't ever need to go to the Gaming section ever again.

I ride a Yammi R6. Absolutely love her.

When I'm on. What's peoples opinions on ASV levers? I looking to spend my paltry £300 bonus on some bits for her and a new can is a bit too expensive so I thought a nice set of levers would be a nice way of buttering her up since I abandoned her for the winter.

I've been on CL everyday searching for that potential first bike. I've already signed up for the MSF course which is in a few weeks. I have found this bike that seems alright.

2005 Kawasaki ex250 - $1600
bqCsaab.png

17,000 miles is pretty high though. Anyone ever buy off CL for their first bike?

Also, the avg. price around me for a pregen 250 is ~$2200 while the newer gen is ~$3200 which is why the $1600 price point is so attractive.

Tekniqs

i bought my 600rr off of craigslist and it was smooth. You can't say that about every transaction though. the bike looks good, 17000 miles for an 8 yr old bike really isn't that bad. He's averaging below 3k/year. With that said, why is the end of the clutch handle missing? Did he crash or tip the bike over? Do you have a mechanically inclined friend that can come with you to check the bike out?

ninja 250cc are awesome beginner bikes. Enjoy it for a full season then sell it when you feel like you're ready to go up.

edit: if you're absolutely sure you're going to get a 600cc+ sooner or later, get the pregen...the current gen bikes are better though. So if you're planning on holding onto this bike for awhile, I would spring for the current gen.

What ways are the new gen ones better? I know they look a lot better than the old design but that doesn't matter to me (for now.) I read that the fuel efficiency is better on the older bikes as well.

I would mostly be using the bike for commuting to and from school. It's a less than 25 minutes driving.

Dougald

I was always told the average for a bike in the UK is 3k per year... so assuming you are in the US that is probably even more below average! At least you know its been used, not sat in someones garage being ridden once a year..

Duderz

Banned
What jacket is that? It's pretty much what I've been looking for, a nice classic jacket without any ugly logos.

It's the Triumph James Dean jacket. It does have logos on both arms, but that's it. A very comfortable jacket, saved me more than once on some very cold rides!

Love that pic, Dougald!

Tekniqs

What ways are the new gen ones better? I know they look a lot better than the old design but that doesn't matter to me (for now.) I read that the fuel efficiency is better on the older bikes as well.

I would mostly be using the bike for commuting to and from school. It's a less than 25 minutes driving.

IIRC aren't the old ones carb and the news ones FI?
And I would pick the newer models IF that's going to be my one and only bike just because it's more aesthetically pleasing to me. But if you're buying it to get experience before you move on to bigger bikes, then get the old one.

Damaged

There's a moped thread on GAF? Shit the bed! Now I don't ever need to go to the Gaming section ever again.

I ride a Yammi R6. Absolutely love her.

When I'm on. What's peoples opinions on ASV levers? I looking to spend my paltry £300 bonus on some bits for her and a new can is a bit too expensive so I thought a nice set of levers would be a nice way of buttering her up since I abandoned her for the winter.

Personally I like a cheap lever. I came off my KTM once with expensive levers fitted, they didn't break but it just transferred the force into my master cylinder and sheared off the whole lever mounting. I would rather have to pay a tenner on a new lever than the £250 I spent on a new Brembo brake master cylinder.

Gritesh

Good man!! I love triumphs and I miss my 675 terribly. But like you I also went with something a bit more practical and comfortable:

spark9.jpg

How do you like your monster?

I used to ride a CBR600RR but sold it when 2 summers ago, I have had my eye on the monster 796 for quite some time, but never had the chance to ride one.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one but I want to get some real world opinions on it first!

Yours looks like a 796 with the rear rider pegs removed?

koryuken

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice man. Trying to cut spending a bit since our first child will be born this month, but definitely will look into this in the near future.

P.S. what jacket is this? I have my old one, but it does not match the Bonneville at all.

robox

saw that setup on the way to work this morning: bonneville + brown leather jacket. looked way too cool. making me get ideas...

Muddimar

I've been on CL everyday searching for that potential first bike. I've already signed up for the MSF course which is in a few weeks. I have found this bike that seems alright.

2005 Kawasaki ex250 - $1600
bqCsaab.png

17,000 miles is pretty high though. Anyone ever buy off CL for their first bike?

Also, the avg. price around me for a pregen 250 is ~$2200 while the newer gen is ~$3200 which is why the $1600 price point is so attractive.

17k miles isn't high... especially for a 2005.

Flo_Evans

oh jeez...

my buddy (who just so happens to work at a duc dealership) informedd me they are doing a 20th anniversary edition monster:

RLgtGs0.jpg

GONZO

How do you like your monster?

I used to ride a CBR600RR but sold it when 2 summers ago, I have had my eye on the monster 796 for quite some time, but never had the chance to ride one.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on one but I want to get some real world opinions on it first!

Yours looks like a 796 with the rear rider pegs removed?

Hey Gritesh,

Mine is actually an 1100 EVO with spark high mount exhaust and some custom body panels. I absolutely love the monster for the street. It has way more torque than my 675 daytona but it does die off at the high end. And it's nowhere near as fun when I take it to the track. Though it is great fun out braking everyone going into turns and grunting them going out. But the straights are not so much fun, lol. Overall though I can ride the monster for 8+hours straight and not even feel it.Where as my old sportbikes would hurt after a couple hours of riding. The brakes are like anchors too and modulate very, very well. Easily the best brakes that I've ever had.

Bike vid...hehe: http://vimeo.com/41266051

Still looking damned good.

What's peoples opinions on ASV levers? I looking to spend my paltry £300 bonus on some bits for her and a new can is a bit too expensive so I thought a nice set of levers would be a nice way of buttering her up since I abandoned her for the winter.

I haven't used the ASV but they look similar to the CRG type that I bought, although ASV sells some that they claim are "unbreakable" (they'll still rash up if you go down...). I really like using a short brake lever (clutch length is stock), and aftermarket levers offer that extra bit of adjust-ability that makes it worth it. If you find a set you like I'd give the ASV (or Pazzo, CRG, whatever you fancy) a shot. OR, if you have not done so yet, save that £300 until you have enough saved on top of that to get aftermarket rearsets. Rearsets make a much bigger difference. And if that avatar is you or you own that color scheme...red/white Yamaha unite...

Anyone have good tips for cleaning the chain? I'll try to post pics later, but it seems my chain and sprockets are constantly gunky with bits of surface rust building up.

Quick background. I live in NYC and try to ride my bike as often as possible, weather permitting. The longest it has sat unused is probably 2 - 3 weeks. My daily ride is around 8 miles round trip. I clean my chain once every 6 - 8 weeks.

My routine looks something like this: warm up the chain with a quick ride. Apply wd-40 and scrub with grunge brush. More wd-40 and wipe using a shop towel. Let the chain dry. Apply chain lube. But for whatever reason no matter how long or how hard i clean with wd-40 or any other cleaner, the chain simply doesn't get clean. It has gotten to the point where I'm fed up. It's frustrating to watch endless videos of proper chain maintenance with sparkly clean chains at the end. Maybe it's just an OCD thing on my part.

I'm no chain expert, but as long as you keep it clean, properly lubed, and with correct tension you should be fine. It will never look new again. If it is making you nervous then you can replace the chain (and replace the sprockets if they are getting old).

Tekniqs

Anyone have good tips for cleaning the chain? I'll try to post pics later, but it seems my chain and sprockets are constantly gunky with bits of surface rust building up.

Quick background. I live in NYC and try to ride my bike as often as possible, weather permitting. The longest it has sat unused is probably 2 - 3 weeks. My daily ride is around 8 miles round trip. I clean my chain once every 6 - 8 weeks.

My routine looks something like this: warm up the chain with a quick ride. Apply wd-40 and scrub with grunge brush. More wd-40 and wipe using a shop towel. Let the chain dry. Apply chain lube. But for whatever reason no matter how long or how hard i clean with wd-40 or any other cleaner, the chain simply doesn't get clean. It has gotten to the point where I'm fed up. It's frustrating to watch endless videos of proper chain maintenance with sparkly clean chains at the end. Maybe it's just an OCD thing on my part.

I use kerosene on mine..moisten a microfiber towel (regular should be ok) and hold it in place along the chain while you turn the rear wheel manually. Use a grunch brush for some turns then towel rub again. Take it out for a short ride, then while turning the wheel manually, spray your fave chain lube on it. let it sit for a bit, wipe off any excess and you should be good to go!

Never dropped a bike in my life, Drinky :p.

Started out on a new bike too.

congratulations? but you're in a very small minority. sooner or later, a lazy garage maneuver, a stray patch of leaves, or a kickstand in oil will send it over, especially if the bike is over 500 lbs or top-heavy -- so let's not dispense advice to the average based on your apparently superhuman qualities, eh?

it is simply good, common sense to start with a small, second-hand bike and to curb your impulse for KOOL KID STATUS until a) you develop basic riding skills; b) you know what kind of bike best suits your style and posture; and c) you realize what responsible bike ownership ACTUALLY entails.

but hey: plenty of folks make the jump straight to 600+ cc v-twins. and 80% of those could have saved themselves a lot of money and rage -- and occasionally, severe pain -- if they'd just demonstrated a little disicpline and patience. *shrug* no skin off my atgatt-clad ass, though!

edit: also, european training and licensing is much, much, MUCH more stringent than it is in the us. in the states, you get a couple afternoons' training circling a parking lot and BOOM! a cute little mark on your license.

congratulations? but you're in a very small minority. sooner or later, a lazy garage maneuver, a stray patch of leaves, or a kickstand in oil will send it over, especially if the bike is over 500 lbs or top-heavy -- so let's not dispense advice to the average based on your apparently superhuman qualities, eh?

it is simply good, common sense to start with a small, second-hand bike and to curb your impulse for KOOL KID STATUS until a) you develop basic riding skills; b) you know what kind of bike best suits your style and posture; and c) you realize what responsible bike ownership ACTUALLY entails.

but hey: plenty of folks make the jump straight to 600+ cc v-twins. and 80% of those could have saved themselves a lot of money and rage -- and occasionally, severe pain -- if they'd just demonstrated a little disicpline and patience. *shrug* no skin off my atgatt-clad ass, though!

Yeah, there was some common sense involved though. My bike was a 165kg 620cc Monster. Very, very light and easy to handle.

A bike should never, ever be top heavy anyway. That sucks regardless of how much experience you have.

(i.e. a big and heavy cruiser or a tall BMW 1200GS is never going to be that comfortable to handle at low speeds)

edit: also, european training and licensing is much, much, MUCH more stringent than it is in the us. in the states, you get a couple afternoons' training circling a parking lot and BOOM! a cute little mark on your license.

Yeah, that is definitely true.

Well Honda already made Dredds bike.. (pity that its supposedly pretty terrible)

ah, the dn-01. it was honda's second automatic bike before the current batch of dct bikes. can't tell if it didn't sell because of its creepy sport cruiser profile, or because cruiser folks don't want an auto bike -- or both. you can see hints of it in this years' ctx700, which has a dct flavor.

anyway, headin' out to euro moto 13. will get pics!

daw840

I can't quite figure out why your always shown as banned but still posting....lol

Top Bottom