• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

robox

to me, 2 wheels means bicycles. and i don't like you guys for taking that title.

anyhoo, doing my msf. classroom session tonight, riding sessions on the weekend. moving on to motorized 2 wheel power. still donno what bike to get; just gonna scour craigslist. looking at something like gs500 or cb500-ish

daw840

to me, 2 wheels means bicycles. and i don't like you guys for taking that title.

anyhoo, doing my msf. classroom session tonight, riding sessions on the weekend. moving on to motorized 2 wheel power. still donno what bike to get; just gonna scour craigslist. looking at something like gs500 or cb500-ish

If it were me, and I was looking for a sport type bike, I would look at the Suzuki SV650 or the Ninja 650R. They are more than enough for a seasoned rider and forgiving enough for a new rider.

If it were me, and I was looking for a sport type bike, I would look at the Suzuki SV650 or the Ninja 650R. They are more than enough for a seasoned rider and forgiving enough for a new rider.

Yeah, these two models are definitely nicer than the GS500. You can find a good many of them used, too.

Watevaman

Both SV650 and GS500 are also good in the aftermarket scene. CBR500 is new so you won't have too much support or options in terms of changing stuff. Ninja 650 I'd imagine is a bit better but probably not as much as the Suzukis.

I'm still on the fence about an SV for a complete beginner though. One of my friends would've done terrible on a bike like that and another would've been fine on it. I'd wait until you see how you fare in the course and see how comfortable you are on a bike.

robox

thanks for the tips. i originally had sv650 there but changed to gs, thinking maybe too big for starting out? my choice would ultimately come down to how i feel during test riding. i'll have a more exp'd buddy along too

Snow be damned! Motorcycle season could not come fast enough...

dnaCenR.jpg

Toby

Snow be damned! Motorcycle season could not come fast enough...

dnaCenR.jpg

Wow, I can't believe you got out today. I live near SLC as well, but have been too chicken to get out on my 1150gs with all this snow.
More power to you. Glad someone around here's enjoying their bike (looks great, BTW).

Wow, I can't believe you got out today. I live near SLC as well, but have been too chicken to get out on my 1150gs with all this snow.
More power to you. Glad someone around here's enjoying their bike (looks great, BTW).

Hah, I wish I went for a ride. I just backed it up 10 feet to take a photo before I scraped the driveway. Once the sun went down my driveway was a sheet of ice.

I just wanted to take a photo of it in the snow because I knew this mostly black bike would look cool against it. Since the bike is new to me I also wanted to make sure it would start when it's really cold.

Edit: Looks like next weekend could be in the low 40's. That seems to be about most people's limit.

robox

uh oh. going to my riding class in a few hours. right now it's 50f. hope it reaches 60f and stays there. damn, gotta bundle up

Watevaman

50F is warm enough to get away with a few layers. Considering you won't get above 20mph it won't be a problem. I'd recommend some long underwear for your legs, though.

edit: then again my limit is a bit lower than most people here I guess. I had one morning at about 24F but that was about the limit of my gloves after my 30 minute ride to work. Pleasure riding needs to be above 40 if I'm going out for longer than an hour.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was actually thinking about getting one for fun not too long ago, it'd be fun to throw some slicks on that and try to drift it around.

I just got it home. Had to ride it all the way around Lake washington because it simply doesnt do freeway speeds. The tires are brand new so it's kinda on slicks for a couple of dozen miles...

Thing is a blast. It's retarded slow and badly needs to be upgraded just to keep you safely above 45 on surface streets, but there is something incredibly charismatic about it. And it's fun. It was freezing, gray and grim in Seattle this morning but it still felt liberating to be out and about on it.
Saw one other Ruckus rider this morning and got the nod. The brotherhood.

Stinkles

Pic:

Forgot how liberating it is to be on two wheels with an engine. Literally takes me longer to get out of the house on a bicycle. Helmet on, rev, go, freedom. Park anywhere. Need to start tuning this thing. I knew exactly how weak it was going in, almost embraced that aspect, but holding up traffic simply because you hit a hill is no fun.

Looks like a simple air filter swap is the cheapest and easiest mod, but online info about that is just a shade contradictory.

Watevaman

My rear brake line burst today. Was just heading out on this beautiful day, too. I should've replaced it when I replaced my front, but I rarely used it so I figured it would be ok. My mistake, but I've ordered an HEL stainless like my front is so I'll be happy to get it on there.

Stinkles

My rear brake line burst today. Was just heading out on this beautiful day, too. I should've replaced it when I replaced my front, but I rarely used it so I figured it would be ok. My mistake, but I've ordered an HEL stainless like my front is so I'll be happy to get it on there.

getting used to squeezing both brakes simultaneously has been hard. Definitely a weird mix of muscle memory going from manual geared motorcycle to car to bicycle to auto scooter.

TCRS

Banned
yay! this thread needs more scooter pics. I miss my good old scooter. Perfect vehicle for the city, just hop on, twist the throttle and off you go. No switching gears every couple of seconds, no clutch to deal with, low centre of gravity (meaning you can easily filter at low speeds without the bike tipping to the side), small (which makes parking easy) and light weight. And I had a scooter with proper fairing so I had loads of space under the seat. I could easily put my full face helmet plus leg cover (for rain) in it. And while riding it held the disc lock, chain and padlock and my rucksack.

And yeah that brotherhood is an amazing part of biking, I always got nods, even from police riders. The only ones who never nodded back were Harley riders or any cruiser rider for that matter. That cliche was unfortunately true.

I miss riding :/

Watevaman

I generally receive signs from pretty much every other biker. Although I typically don't look at them and really just give a sign down as I ride past if I notice them.

harley riders NEVER give the nod or peace sign, it pisses me off sometimes.

:lol I was always told this is because they're afraid to crash if they take their hand off...

And nice scooter Stinkles! I think the only thing I hate is how expensive they are. For hardly any money you could get a 250 from a couple companies. If they were cheaper I think it would be more attractive. Especially for the engine size/power.

Asimov

Banned
Hello... newbie here!

Well, Motorcycle-GAF... I know you probably will laugh at me for this, but... I want to start to ride. But right now I don't want to invest a lot of money on a motorcycle. I need to learn how to drive first; heck, I don't even know how to drive a manual car.

So, there is a motorcycle by Suzuki (I don't think it is available in the USA), but it is a 150cc cruiser. So... what are your thoughts? Very underpowered, even for a starter?

The motorcycle is the equivalent of $2,500 dollars. I like the matte paint.

yLMwZz3.png

nc13uoX.png

K1G3xCc.png

TCRS

Banned
In the UK it's quite normal to start with a 125cc bike, so for learning a 150cc bike should be just fine. And this is a nice looking bike as well.

I actually find Harleys very sexy, especially the Sportsters. The 883R or the forty eight...hnnngg! I'll definitely buy one some day but I will always nod, promise!

Watevaman

Hello... newbie here!

Well, Motorcycle-GAF... I know you probably will laugh at me for this, but... I want to start to ride. But right now I don't want to invest a lot of money on a motorcycle. I need to learn how to drive first; heck, I don't even know how to drive a manual car.

So, there is a motorcycle by Suzuki (I don't think it is available in the USA), but it is a 150cc cruiser. So... what are your thoughts? Very underpowered, even for a starter?

The motorcycle is the equivalent of $2,500 dollars. I like the matte paint.

Take a motorcycle course. If you like it, continue on your motorcycle journey, if not then you're out some money.

Not a bad looking bike, but depending on what you're planning on doing with it, it may be a bit too small for the average rider. If it can safely do highway speeds then that's really what you'll need.

Asimov

Banned
Take a motorcycle course. If you like it, continue on your motorcycle journey, if not then you're out some money.

Not a bad looking bike, but depending on what you're planning on doing with it, it may be a bit too small for the average rider. If it can safely do highway speeds then that's really what you'll need.

I want it mostly to go to work. My office is located at 2 miles away from my house (a less than 10 minutes ride on car) but I have to travel 1 of those miles on a fast road.

But what I'm trying to do is also save on gas. I'm more concerned about the price, thought. I don't know if $2,500 is decent for a brand new 150cc motorcycle.

Hello... newbie here!

Why would anyone laugh? A few things though, I personally would learn how to drive a manual car first. Yes everything is opposite on a bike but it just gets your head around the concept of changing gears, using a clutch.

Also DON'T SKIMP ON GEAR!! It amazes how many people I see on the road in T-shirts and shorts, even a small off with no gear could cause serious injuries. In my first year of riding I had 2 crashes, one was a slow low side crash and the other I came off a 70km/h avoiding a cat. I hit a gutter pretty hard but thanks to the jacket I was wearing I was just some pretty bad bruising. Otherwise it may have been broken ribs at the very least. I say all this because no matter how careful you are, it is likely something will go wrong at some point.

Asimov

Banned
Why would anyone laugh? A few things though, I personally would learn how to drive a manual car first. Yes everything is opposite on a bike but it just gets your head around the concept of changing gears, using a clutch.

Also DON'T SKIMP ON GEAR!! It amazes how many people I see on the road in T-shirts and shorts, even a small off with no gear could cause serious injuries. In my first year of riding I had 2 crashes, one was a slow low side crash and the other I came off a 70km/h avoiding a cat. I hit a gutter pretty hard but thanks to the jacket I was wearing I was just some pretty bad bruising. Otherwise it may have been broken ribs at the very least. I say all this because no matter how careful you are, it is likely something will go wrong at some point.

Well... the laugh thing was because I was asking for advice for a 150cc... but it was just a joke!

And about the gear... of course I will wear a helmet, specially because I live in Mexico and everyone here drives like crazy.

Well... the laugh thing was because I was asking for advice for a 150cc... but it was just a joke!

And about the gear... of course I will wear a helmet, specially because I live in Mexico and everyone here drives like crazy.

Ah ok, but I don't see anything wrong with learning on that bike but like others have said, its likely you will grow out of it very quickly.

A helmet goes without saying, when I say gear I mean jacket, pants, gloves, boots. The best is full leathers but they are very expensive, but they also ensure that you always have all your gear on. Its easy on a hot day to just think "ah won't worry about the jacket today", and that could be the day you need it.

Asimov

Banned
Ah ok, but I don't see anything wrong with learning on that bike but like others have said, its likely you will grow out of it very quickly.

A helmet goes without saying, when I say gear I mean jacket, pants, gloves, boots. The best is full leathers but they are very expensive, but they also ensure that you always have all your gear on. Its easy on a hot day to just think "ah won't worry about the jacket today", and that could be the day you need it.

Thanks for this comment. I will definitely follow your advice.

TCRS

Banned
For learning only I don't think it's a good idea to get a brand new bike though. Get a used bike. 150cc is perfectly fine for learning. I can only speak for the UK but here it's quite normal to ride a 125cc for at least a year before taking the test and moving on to bigger bikes. 125cc is low weight and a generally easy bike to ride to get your bearings.

And the max. speed of my 125cc was 100 km/h. I assume it will be a little more on a 150cc and for one mile that should be plenty.

Asimov

Banned
For learning only I don't think it's a good idea to get a brand new bike though. Get a used bike. 150cc is perfectly fine for learning. I can only speak for the UK but here it's quite normal to ride a 125cc for at least a year before taking the test and moving on to bigger bikes. 125cc is low weight and a generally easy bike to ride to get your bearings.

And the max. speed of my 125cc was 100 km/h. I assume it will be a little more on a 150cc and for one mile that should be plenty.

100 km/h sounds on your 125cc sounds very good, actually. I don't like to drive very fast... when I go to work, I like to drive my car at 90 km/h max.

Thank you, guys.

Edit: Feels good to talk in metric system (we use it too here in Mexico).

What he says. A $2500 new bike may sound tempting, but you may just want to start with something with around a 400cc motor. That way you can learn to ride it and have something big enough to stick with. My First motorcycle was a 400cc Honda dirt bike which I traded up to a 600cc Honda Shadow.

The 150cc will be fine if you are just going to work a few miles away, but when you really want to go somewhere you will need/want more.

Stinkles

:lol I was always told this is because they're afraid to crash if they take their hand off...

And nice scooter Stinkles! I think the only thing I hate is how expensive they are. For hardly any money you could get a 250 from a couple companies. If they were cheaper I think it would be more attractive. Especially for the engine size/power.

They are super expensive, and it's purely supply and demand. The price has crept up and up over the years and the dealer assured me the margin hasn't kept pace, Honda gets the lion's share. People love them and they will pay for them. Upside is that they have great residuals. And 100mpg.

Dougald

Bit the bullet and have taken the Bonneville to Triumph today to have an alarm installed - fed up of lugging the disc lock about with me.

They gave me a 2012 Tiger 800 as a courtesy bike, and I'm in love with this thing. I know everyone says it's just a copy of the smaller BMW GS, but having ridden both I much prefer the Tiger. Add some heated grips and a higher screen, and I'd take it as a replacement for my ST1100 for sure - almost all the comfort, with the ability to actually filter in traffic.

Dougald

Yeah it was all about the engine in the Tiger 800. It just feels like a small, nippy commuter - despite the height of the bike itself I was able to filter easily, and getting up to speed on the motorway wasn't exactly slow. Just feels better engineered overall than the BMW - pity neither of the bikes are really that exciting to look at..

In the UK it's quite normal to start with a 125cc bike, so for learning a 150cc bike should be just fine. And this is a nice looking bike as well.

I actually find Harleys very sexy, especially the Sportsters. The 883R or the forty eight...hnnngg! I'll definitely buy one some day but I will always nod, promise!

Yeah I've got an Iron and it's the first Harley I ever saw where I actually thought it looked good. And yes I wave to everyone because I am a cool guy.

Been thinking about upgrading the engine to a 1200, as the kit isn't that expensive. The 883 has plenty of power for around town stuff but at highway speeds it feels a smidge underpowered.

robox

Found and picked up a bike in a matter of days. A GS500 that's already gone through a naked mod for my first bike. Seen here wit my buddy's buell blast. Been over a year without a car. Pretty stoked to have some freedom and exhilaration back!

C5EorbAl.jpg

Watevaman

Found and picked up a bike in a matter of days. A GS500 that's already gone through a naked mod for my first bike. Seen here wit my buddy's buell blast. Been over a year without a car. Pretty stoked to have some freedom and exhilaration back!

C5EorbAl.jpg

Unite!

gs50048jh0.jpg

check out GSTwin for any questions you have. They also have a wiki that has a lot of useful info about what upgrades you can do. Like mine has new springs, shock, exhaust, handlebars, etc. mostly thanks to them.

koryuken

Recently got rid of my 2007 CBR600RR ("I'm getting too old for this shit") and got a 2012 Triumph Bonneville SE. Love it, no regrets. I highly recommend this bike.

20120728_185146.jpg

euro moto '13 is in lynnwood this weekend -- any seattle gaf folks goin'? i'm thinking of dropping in saturday evening, praying to italian jesus that he will forgive me for climaxing when i ride the new street triple r

alphaNoid

Banned
I need 2 wheel GAF help. I'm looking to take riding classes and get my license this year. I have zero experience. Now I'm curious what a good cruise bike for a taller guy would be when the time comes. I'm 6'4 220lbs and I've read about forward controls, other slight mods to assist with fitting.

My thing is I read a lot about a 'starter bike' to learn on, or one that you will end up dropping. I get that, its just.. I'm stubborn and don't see the point in buying a starter bike b/c well.. I'm stubborn. I'm not even exactly sure what my budget is but the wife doesn't care if I ride so long as I get a new(er) bike. She doesn't want me riding around on something more than 5 years old.

I've looked at a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom, but everything else in the 750 range is probably far to small for me right? Even the 900 might be a tad small, and I keep reading that taller riders just are better off looking at 1200cc bikes and up? Lastly, definitely interested in a cruiser and not an upright cycle.

Any advice?

Top Bottom