• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

If I'm not riding, I'll run my bike once a week or so just to get the fuel through the carbs. If your bike is FI I can't imagine it needing to run but maybe once a month, especially if you put a fuel stabilizer in it. I'm pretty sure gas doesn't start to crum up until it's been a few months so for the most part most winters are probably short enough so that it won't happen. With that said, I try to ride whenever I can so I at least can refill my tank with fresh gas.

What is this shit? They are two different engine displacements. Not comparable at all.

It's a valid consideration when one is buying a sportbike that will be mainly used for street use, as most of them are. Provided you have the experience, 1000s are far easier to live with than 600s for street riding.

Sinner

Banned
I was just wondering what do you guys do with your bikes during winter, if you live in an area where you can't drive it due to cold/snow/rain?

Also asking for best thing for my case which is: here it gets cold but not unreasonably, I can ride it unless it's raining or windy which it is often during winter. At the moment I start the bike 2-3 times a month and then ride it for 30 min or so. I know for proper storage you'd need to use tender for battery, top fuel and use something in it etc etc but I do not have a garage or a private place to keep it at so I keep it in a neighbor building garage which is semi-private, it has a gate but anyone can still walk in. So I'm not sure if I'm doing it OK because I don't want to damage the bike in any way.

How often should I be running it, more often or can I do it even less (doubt it less than 2 really)? Any other tips?

How to winterize your motorcycle...

• Give the bike a good clean. Plus waxing if needed.
  • Inspect your chain and sprocket. Clean and lube (if your bike has one).
  • Change the oil and filter.
  • Top off your fuel add fuel stabilizer and run the bike for 5 mins. Don't run again until spring.
  • Block your exhaust pipe so nothing gets in.
  • Cover motorcycle.

Done. Took me 1 hour to do.

*As for the battery, I just pulled mine out and kept it indoors.

It's a valid consideration when one is buying a sportbike that will be mainly used for street use, as most of them are. Provided you have the experience, 1000s are far easier to live with than 600s for street riding.

You'll have to elaborate on that, because it makes no sense.

iamblades

Got a nice mid winter ride in today since it was above 60. My bike gets all kinds of funny looks now that it has the termis on it without the DB killers, thing is loud as fuck and sounds great. It just roars like a pissed off lion. The pops and spits on overrun is great too.

You'll have to elaborate on that, because it makes no sense.

The guy with a GSX-R1000 has no idea what I'm talking about?...jeez

When considering sportbikes, 1000s are easier because you can be much lazier with them. I owned two middleweights (600 and 750 i4) before my R1 and have ridden several 600s besides the one I owned. It requires a bit more effort to keep a 600 "in the power" than a 1000. 600s are great at the track, though, because you're always keeping the revs up. On the street with a 600, if you need to move you're going to have to downshift, or wait patiently for the revs to climb to 10 grand. This becomes especially noticeable if you're climbing a mountain road. The extra power on tap on a 1000 ultimately makes riding more effortless (provided you have the experience to not kill yourself).

iamblades

When considering sportbikes, 1000s are easier because you can be much lazier with them. I owned two middleweights (600 and 750 i4) before my R1 and have ridden several 600s besides the one I owned. It requires a bit more effort to keep a 600 "in the power" than a 1000. 600s are great at the track, though, because you're always keeping the revs up. On the street with a 600, if you need to move you're going to have to downshift, or wait patiently for the revs to climb to 10 grand. This becomes especially noticeable if you're climbing a mountain road. The extra power on tap on a 1000 ultimately makes riding more effortless (provided you have the experience to not kill yourself).

I don't know about you, but I don't find it all that hard to keep a motorcycle in the right gear. Is downshifting really so much work? I don't really ride bikes to be lazy, Shifting is part of the fun.

IMO 'easy to ride' is all about how well it turns, and all else being equal, I'll take the lighter bike in that situation.

Ghostmate

Neo Member
It requires a bit more effort to keep a 600 "in the power" than a 1000. 600s are great at the track, though, because you're always keeping the revs up. On the street with a 600, if you need to move you're going to have to downshift, or wait patiently for the revs to climb to 10 grand.

Basically, this. Liter bikes have a much smoother power band and plenty of torque no matter where you are on the tach. I've had more than my share of 600's (I still ride one) and cruising around, I much prefer to stay in 4th if I can. It's a real pain in the ass to have to downshift coming to a stoplight that's about to turn green. That being said, Soap, 10 x1000rpm? :) that's kinda high for street riding wouldn't you say?

iamblades

Basically, this. Liter bikes have a much smoother power band and plenty of torque no matter where you are on the tach. I've had more than my share of 600's (I still ride one) and cruising around, I much prefer to stay in 4th if I can. It's a real pain in the ass to have to downshift coming to a stoplight that's about to turn green. That being said, Soap, 10 x1000rpm? :) that's kinda high for street riding wouldn't you say?

Well if the redline is 14k and the peak power is at 12k, it gets up there pretty fast. ;)

Sinner

Banned

Apples and oranges. You're comparing two different engine displacements.

There is no effort required to keep a 600cc sport bike "juiced up" on the street. You also have no business keeping the needle on the tachometer around 10,000 during normal street riding. Unless you're speeding... I know this, because I had a Yamaha R6. As for track usage, a 600cc is lighter and more nimble.

Climbing up a hill? You should be in 1st or 2nd gear. Doesn't matter what the engine size is.

I don't know about you, but I don't find it all that hard to keep a motorcycle in the right gear. Is downshifting really so much work? I don't really ride bikes to be lazy, Shifting is part of the fun.

IMO 'easy to ride' is all about how well it turns, and all else being equal, I'll take the lighter bike in that situation.

That's because it's not.

There is a lot to compare about sportbikes that are used in racing classes. Aside from their engines (and now in a number of cases electronics), they are highly comparable. For experienced riders it is worth considering both options and weighing their pros and cons. I didn't say one is better than the other all the time, but the benefits of having a middleweight are shrinking with newer 1000s getting much lighter.

Climbing up a hill? You should be in 1st or 2nd gear. Doesn't matter what the engine size is.

Oh OK. 'Cause I'm fine with 3rd through 6th.

Anyone who rides a larger displacement bike with more torque and more mid range power is lying out their ass if they say it's not nicer to have that there. Otherwise there is absolutely no point in having a 1000 because that extra 40-60HP on top cannot be used on the street.

There is no effort required to keep a 600cc sport bike "juiced up" on the street. You also have no business keeping the needle on the tachometer around 10,000 during normal street riding. Unless you're speeding... I know this, because I had a Yamaha R6. As for track usage, a 600cc is lighter and more nimble.

No point in owning a bike if you're not going to be speeding occasionally.

(With Harley type bikes as the obvious exception).

Calantus

My car got fucked up due to some guy not yielding on green and he turned left into my front end. Insurance didn't give me much.

So, I'm a college student and i want to buy a bike. Looking at a ninja 250 or 650. Anyway, my main concern is using it as my main mode of transportation until i graduate and can afford a car payment and insurance without being broke afterwards. Anyone ever used their bike for their main transportation? I'm in NC and winters aren't bad at all except for maybe ten days out of the year.

Effnine

My car got fucked up due to some guy not yielding on green and he turned left into my front end. Insurance didn't give me much.

So, I'm a college student and i want to buy a bike. Looking at a ninja 250 or 650. Anyway, my main concern is using it as my main mode of transportation until i graduate and can afford a car payment and insurance without being broke afterwards. Anyone ever used their bike for their main transportation? I'm in NC and winters aren't bad at all except for maybe ten days out of the year.

I use a Ninja 650r as my daily driver -- was my first bike, as well. Good for beginners and won't leave you wanting more like a lesser CC will.

There is no effort required to keep a 600cc sport bike "juiced up" on the street.

It all depends. If you're cruising on the freeway in 6th gear, and all of a sudden you need to make a quick pass, most likely you will be needing to downshift at least 1 gear if not two.
Is that hard to do ? No. Does it take effort ? Of course.

It's a lot easier when you're on a bike with a wide torque band. Something that has power at lower and mid range RPMs, and not just at 10,000+ RPM. When you need to pass, it's got instantaneous throttle response, no split second delay to downshift.

Watevaman

It all depends. If you're cruising on the freeway in 6th gear, and all of a sudden you need to make a quick pass, most likely you will be needing to downshift at least 1 gear if not two.
Is that hard to do ? No. Does it take effort ? Of course.

It's a lot easier when you're on a bike with a wide torque band. Something that has power at lower and mid range RPMs, and not just at 10,000+ RPM. When you need to pass, it's got instantaneous throttle response, no split second delay to downshift.

When I was searching for bikes I saw the term "overtaking power" a lot in reviews of different bikes. Now, I don't know if it's different in larger cities because traffic flows faster, but going along at 70/75 on my GS500 (already over the limit), I find it no trouble even in my 6th gear to simply gun it and get around someone. That's a bike with half the power of the average 600 supersport and it has no problems passing at speed. If anything, the argument of passing power is a pretty weak one.

but going along at 70/75 on my GS500 (already over the limit), I find it no trouble even in my 6th gear

I'll bet 70mph in 6th gear is already in that bike's power band.

It's not a weak argument. Basically you don't know what you're missing.

It's not like you can't ride a small displacement bike on the street, but the torque of a bigger engine is nice to have while in traffic. I speak from experience having owned a 400, a GS500, a few 600s, and for a while now, a liter twin.

Flo_Evans

When I was searching for bikes I saw the term "overtaking power" a lot in reviews of different bikes. Now, I don't know if it's different in larger cities because traffic flows faster, but going along at 70/75 on my GS500 (already over the limit), I find it no trouble even in my 6th gear to simply gun it and get around someone. That's a bike with half the power of the average 600 supersport and it has no problems passing at speed. If anything, the argument of passing power is a pretty weak one.

It really depends on how the bike is tuned. Not all 600cc engines have the same torque curve. SS track bikes tend to be high strung for max power at high RPM. Your average touring bike will develop power much lower.

It's not like you can't ride a small displacement bike on the street, but the torque of a bigger engine is nice to have while in traffic. I speak from experience having owned a 400, a GS500, a few 600s, and for a while now, a liter twin.

And for those spirited times that include many corners. I like being able to pull hard out of a corner and not have to wring the shit out of the engine to do it.

I found what could be a great project bike, and was wondering what 2-wheel GAF would do to get it running again.

Pict is a link to the actual ad if anybody else is in Salt Lake area is interested.

Reven

I found what could be a great project bike, and was wondering what 2-wheel GAF would to get it running again.

Pict is a link to the actual ad if anybody else is in Salt Lake area is interested.

There are a lot more Utahns on Gaf than I thought. I will sorely miss KSL if I move out of state. It's so much better than Craigslist.

Watevaman

I found what could be a great project bike, and was wondering what 2-wheel GAF would do to get it running again.

It looks like it'd take a lot of stuff to get it roadworthy, so unless you're really into doing work and have the spare time to basically rebuild the bike, I'd say skip it.

At minimum, you'd probably have to rebuild the carbs, replace the chain, change most soft gaskets, replace fork seals, change the tires, and rebuild the brake system. And then if you wanted to completely repaint it, you'd have to strip it off the frame.

Dougald

Where do you guys stand on having alarms fitted?

I use an alarmed disc lock on my Bonneville, but I'm fed up with it being hyper sensitive (I dropped it in France last year and now it has a tendency to go off in my pocket while I'm riding), plus I'm fed up of lugging it around with me. I'd want an insurance-approved alarm really, and the one from Triumph is £300, which is a bit steep. Of course, it doesn't stop the bike being wheeled into a van and driven away..

I don't want any alarm to mess with the wiring on my bike. And they're useless anyway.

It's all risk insured. Still whenever I dare to take my bike anywhere that requires me to be away from it for a while after I've parked it, I spend the time praying it's still there.

It sucks, I'd use if far more often if I wasn't so damn afraid for it to get stolen.

Dougald

Part of the problem for me is the Bonneville seems to attract idiots who want to come and sit on it/mess with it. I've come back to it on more than one occasion to find the mirrors moved, etc, that's why I need something with a motion sensor, it's just whether or not I change the disc lock.

Unfortunately I don't have a car so I don't have the luxury of being picky where I leave her sometimes. Honestly if I could get a motion-sensitive box that I could just stick under the seat and arm remotely, rather than screwing with the wiring, I'd go for that in a heartbeat!

Yeah, I hear that.

Luckily people here in the Netherlands tend to admire motorcycles without taking a seat. Fucking annoying though when that happens.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sent here by an angel from another thread.

Anyone got any advice on buying a Honda Ruckus in the Puget Sound area? All the craigslist ads look like murder schemes and for some reason buying or shopping a motorbike online is really, really antiquated and barren. Do motorbike people hate the internet? It's like straight up lycos out there.

//B1G

Banned
This is such a beautiful bike! Custom Honda NX650
http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-nx650

honda-nx650-2.jpg

honda-nx650.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I always thought that this thread was about paraplegic people so I never bothered to get in. I found it odd that gaf didn't have any motorbike thread!

Anyways, I just bought myself a BMW F800GT in black :
enter-2013-bmw-f800gt-photo-gallery-medium_10.jpg

I'm anxious to get it.

demented

Well I've officialy put an order (of sorts) for a new bike, let's see what I get, will update. Still gotta sell Gladius, but it's raining on and off, I'll wait it out until march and then start advertising in papers and online.

Had a dream few days ago I was riding a brand new panigale but not yet, at least not for a year or two.

I shook hands on a 09 Kawasaki Versys 650 today. I should have it Tuesday!

It has a little rash on the left cover, but the seller has a new one he is throwing in with it. I'm soooooo excited!

Congrats I have the same year and model it's a fantastic bike comfortable and gets excellent mileage for long trips.

I shook hands on a 09 Kawasaki Versys 650 today. I should have it Tuesday! It has a little rash on the left cover, but the seller has a new one he is throwing in with it. I'm soooooo excited!

Nice setup there! That 650 twin has some nice characteristics to it.

I always thought that this thread was about paraplegic people so I never bothered to get in. I found it odd that gaf didn't have any motorbike thread!

Anyways, I just bought myself a BMW F800GT in black

You're the 3rd person now I think to think this. I still don't understand.

Very nice bike you're getting.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
If anyone's in Montréal this weekend for the Salon de la moto (bike show). I will have a kiosk. So don't be shy to say hi.

Top Bottom