• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Tuono V4R is the only route I'd go if going for Euro standard with a shitload of power. Second choice(s) would be Speed Triple R or Street Triple R :p ... but the Tuono is a better machine than either of those (also pricier).

Dougald

Triumph had one of these in their showroom today, it was calling me..

ec5gO7q.jpg

Jeez. Bike is now basically ready for riding this weekend. I replaced all the stud bolts in the rear wheel drive hub and put the new sprocket on. I followed advice from the mechanical section of the R1 forum and did NOT torque the locknuts down to the service manual's torque spec. I actually have gotten in trouble using the manual's torque spec for the rear axle nut, which over time stripped the threads to the point I could not remove the nut off the axle. I wound up having to cut into the rear axle and the axle nut and then replace both! I torqued these sprocket locknuts to 50 ft/lb instead of 72. Some were saying 30 was fine, but eh, this didn't feel like I was pushing too far.

After that I put the chain on, which is an interesting task since I've never done it before. The chain uses the rivet style link, which is much stronger than using a clip. Had to press that side plate on crazy hard then wrench the shit out of the tool to mushroom out the pins. Hopefully all works well. I then got everything back with the brake since I'd had the wheel off. This way I could mash on the rear brake while reaching over the bike to tighten up the front sprocket nut...so awkward. Did I mention I did most of this in the dark? :|

So, basically all I have to do now is pound out the washer-like edge of the front sprocket nut into the grooves again, adjust my chain slack, put the appropriate covers back and then it's good to go! Once all done I'll take a picture so you can see the shiny new chain.

Dougald

It's the Speed Triple R "Dark" - only 30 made in that paint scheme

They did a 2012 Street Triple in the same colour scheme too, that was also awesome.

Yes. I think the naked bike is characterized by the following traits:

- Exposed engine
- No cockpit to shield rider from wind and the elements
- Engine tuned for road use (more torque than top-end power)
- Sporty though more upright and comfortable riding position than fully faired superbikes

Discusguy

My frame sliders came in from Motovation for my R6. I'm so pleased with the look and feel of the frame sliders. Quality no doubt. The no cut bracket is so beefy/solid compared to the others that I've seen and checked out. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

My frame sliders came in from Motovation for my R6. I'm so pleased with the look and feel of the frame sliders. Quality no doubt. The no cut bracket is so beefy/solid compared to the others that I've seen and checked out. I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

Great! I hope you never have to test them :)

Got everything done with the bike (until the oil and spark plugs in like 600 miles... T_T ) with the chain and sprockets. My god. I rotated the chain around when the bike was on the stand and I was amazed...all even tension! Haha. The bike is way smoother and a good bit snappier. Steering feels lighter, too...not sure if that's due to going down to 520 from 530, as there is a bit of weight savings involved in the conversion. I think mostly what I'm feeling is just having fresh chain/sprockets. I haven't felt that obviously for a few years when I bought the thing, and of course now it has all the performance mods/reflash etc. I felt like I was holding on for dear life some of the time lol.

TCRS

Banned
Ewan McGregor pormoting the Moto Guzzi California 1400

ewan-mcgregor-moto-guzzi-california-1400-620x350.jpg

56166.jpg

The custom one looks alright, but the normal one is fucking ugly man.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yes. I think the naked bike is characterized by the following traits:

- Exposed engine
- No cockpit to shield rider from wind and the elements
- Engine tuned for road use (more torque than top-end power)
- Sporty though more upright and comfortable riding position than fully faired superbikes

Reporting for duty, sir.

0nQAMRz.jpg

kaskade

Man gaf, I've been itching to get a motorcycle for a while now. Even just to save some gas going to work which is only a couple of miles. I was looking at some 50cc scooters to get my fix(and ease my mom into the idea). The Ruckus is pretty cool looking but I feel like the top end is too low. I'd want to be able to get up to 50-55.

I want something but they are scary.

harrytang

Man gaf, I've been itching to get a motorcycle for a while now. Even just to save some gas going to work which is only a couple of miles. I was looking at some 50cc scooters to get my fix(and ease my mom into the idea). The Ruckus is pretty cool looking but I feel like the top end is too low. I'd want to be able to get up to 50-55.

Im thinking the same thing. Had a triumph 675 when they first revamped them about 5 years back, but crashed it hard after about 2k miles doing stupid racing shit.

Thinking about getting another bike, but nothing with an aggressive sportster riding position or 4 cylinder anything.

Was looking at the HD Iron 883 for a daily rider to work, but not sure how a bike like that would work in heavy traffic. Commute back and forth to DC. About 30 miles on highway.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated from anyone. Need more motorcycle talk on GAF now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You could look at a Honda Big Ruckus. Which is 250 and highway capable. Or you could get a Ruckus and tune it up to 50-ish (with a new variator, new exhaust and significant weight stripping).

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/1342/project-honda-ruckus-part-3-50-mph-or-bust.aspx

Got a chance for a 2008 or 2009 Kawasaki Versys.

Two questions. Is the Versys a recommended bike? I'm tall. I like upright sitting. I don't need much power. Secondly, the 2008 or 2009 version? Which one? Does it matter?

Two questions. Is the Versys a recommended bike? I'm tall. I like upright sitting. I don't need much power. Secondly, the 2008 or 2009 version? Which one? Does it matter?

Yes! It's basically the naked version of the Ninja 650r. I've had 2 Ninja 650's and it's a great bike. Forgiving, smooth and comfy.

2008 and 2009 are mostly the same. I believe the 09 had some minor upgrades, but I'm not exactly sure what they are. I don't think it's anything too significant where you need to write off the 08 version. 2010+ had a cosmetic upgrade as well as some others.

kaskade

Im thinking the same thing. Had a triumph 675 when they first revamped them about 5 years back, but crashed it hard after about 2k miles doing stupid racing shit.

Thinking about getting another bike, but nothing with an aggressive sportster riding position or 4 cylinder anything.

Was looking at the HD Iron 883 for a daily rider to work, but not sure how a bike like that would work in heavy traffic. Commute back and forth to DC. About 30 miles on highway.

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated from anyone. Need more motorcycle talk on GAF now.

The Iron 883 is what I really want. That thing is nice. But I figure for like a season I'd start easy, especially if I dump whatever I have.

I have an 08 Versys and I am 6'4" it's very comfortable upright on long trips and gets excellent mileage.

I have a 2009 Versys, and it is a fun bike! It has a lot of power compared to my old 600cc cruiser I just sold, but the power is probably still pretty manageable. It's about 60hp on paper.

dnaCenR.jpg

I don't think there is much of a difference between the 08-09, just the 2010 and newer look much different.

I have an 08 Versys and I am 6'4" it's very comfortable upright on long trips and gets excellent mileage.

What kind of mileage do you get? I think I'm getting around 44, but my old bike which was 16 year older and also about thethe same size engine was getting 60mpg. A little disappointing if you ask me.

And here it is. EK MVXZ 520 with Driven sprockets. Got the bike mostly clean in this shot. Tailbag is new...very handy I must say. Nice for the long rides when I want to carry a clear shield for a night ride back! It's a FastPack by The Cycle Guys. Only holds up to 5lbs, but that's fine for what I'm using it for. Has stayed put even after hitting 145.

Ghostmate

Neo Member
It's a FastPack by The Cycle Guys. Only holds up to 5lbs, but that's fine for what I'm using it for. Has stayed put even after hitting 145.

Lol. 145. That's one hell of a straightaway you got access to, Soap. Guys, how difficult is it to do a brake service by yourself? That is, bleeding the lines, replacing the fluid, replacing the pads or even the rotors themselves. How much time and effort are we looking at? I have an 05 ZX6R that's probably getting long in the tooth for some sort of brake job, but I kinda don't want to bring it into a shop. Only other maintenance I've done was clean and lube the chain and change the oil. Will I be in over my head?

DrBo42

After a nice ride in to work today:

528354_10151547157284630_212090843_n.jpg

Someone entered my lane during a turn today but that's pretty standard here in LA. Bunch of morons.

Lol. 145. That's one hell of a straightaway you got access to, Soap. Guys, how difficult is it to do a brake service by yourself? That is, bleeding the lines, replacing the fluid, replacing the pads or even the rotors themselves. How much time and effort are we looking at? I have an 05 ZX6R that's probably getting long in the tooth for some sort of brake job, but I kinda don't want to bring it into a shop. Only other maintenance I've done was clean and lube the chain and change the oil. Will I be in over my head?

Yep, and only for a second :)

Brakes aren't too bad. Here's a video on an 09 ZX-6R. You can get away with not using a hand pump by pumping the brake lever. Check manual for which side on the front to bleed first...it may not be the same. Replacing pads is simple. Remove the caliper bolts and pull the caliper off the rotor. There is usually a cotter pin or something securing a larger cylindrical pin that holds the pads in place inside the caliper. Remove the clips/pins, and then the old pads. Press against the caliper pistons to push them back - if your pads were worn a bit, then you'll need the extra room with fresh ones. Put the new pads in and put the pins in just as they were with the old ones. Reinstall the caliper. I use a torque wrench to put the caliper bolts back to spec.

Dougald

After a nice ride in to work today:

528354_10151547157284630_212090843_n.jpg

Someone entered my lane during a turn today but that's pretty standard here in LA. Bunch of morons.

Looking at the sideplates, is that a regular T100 and you've just swapped the seat/bars for a Thruxton setup? How does it handle compared to stock?

Man that was awesome. Thanks for posting. Its a shame it not more 'spectator friendly' because to me, it really is the pinnacle of motorbike racing. It really must be the biggest possible buzz imaginable, as a lot of the riders allude to in the doco. 150 deaths in 105 years, means unlike MotoGP or controlled track racing, it really is putting your life on the line. That's not to say that track racing isn't extremely dangerous, but most of the accidents you see in track racing the rider has room to come off and slide, in Isle of Man your never far from trees, gutters, fences, lamp posts and not to mention it is a public road, so the surface isn't always optimal.

Quick question. Anyone here ever ride an Aprillia RS250? I seen one out the front of a guys house and I am thinking of taking a look. Been out of riding for five years now, and while my last bike was a Honda F4i, I really had a lot more fun on my CBR 250 that I learnt on. Here, the RS250 is not learner legal, so I am thinking its a 250 with a bit more power, which is what I want. I am just weary of Italian bikes, my Hondas were both great, reliable bikes and I have heard a lot of bad things reliability wise with Italian bikes. Such a great looking bike though, so I am considering it, just wanted to see if anyone had owned one and could share their story.

It's two-stroke, which explains the extra power (and the high maintenance). But I hear they're a total blast to ride.

edit:

Holy shit, according to wikipedia, the old Honda CBR250 (86-96) is an actual 4 cylinder engine (19.000 RPM). Heh, that's awesome. Did you have one of those?

It's two-stroke, which explains the extra power (and the high maintenance). But I hear they're a total blast to ride.

edit:

Holy shit, according to wikipedia, the old Honda CBR250 (86-96) is an actual 4 cylinder engine (19.000 RPM). Heh, that's awesome. Did you have one of those?

Nah, mine was a 2000 model, same as this one

DMpV5iO.jpg

So much fun to ride, but I see a lot of the older CBRs for sale, so I may look into those based on that.

Also with the Aprillia, its a bike that's not common, and that's another appealing factor. I have seen a few RS125s on the road, but I don't think I have ever seen an RS250 on the road.

kaskade

I've actually been looking at some 250cc bikes like the CBR and Ninja. The power seems great for what I want which is basically commuting on more rural-ish roads that average like 40 mph. 55 max. Next week I think I'm going to go for my permit. How hard is the knowledge test? I read through the booklet and took a practice test and did alright. The questions were kind of common sense.

I've actually been looking at some 250cc bikes like the CBR and Ninja. The power seems great for what I want which is basically commuting on more rural-ish roads that average like 40 mph. 55 max. Next week I think I'm going to go for my permit. How hard is the knowledge test? I read through the booklet and took a practice test and did alright. The questions were kind of common sense.

Easy. Are you in the states? We have the MSF class here that'll teach you to ride and will give you a riding and written test. Great class and it'll only take up Saturday and Sunday. You still have to take a test at the DPS, but it's pretty basic.

Nah, mine was a 2000 model, same as this one

DMpV5iO.jpg

So much fun to ride, but I see a lot of the older CBRs for sale, so I may look into those based on that.

Also with the Aprillia, its a bike that's not common, and that's another appealing factor. I have seen a few RS125s on the road, but I don't think I have ever seen an RS250 on the road.

Still a 4 cylinder though right?

kaskade

Easy. Are you in the states? We have the MSF class here that'll teach you to ride and will give you a riding and written test. Great class and it'll only take up Saturday and Sunday. You still have to take a test at the DPS, but it's pretty basic.

Yeah, I am. AFAIK, I have to take the knowledge portion to get the permit. Then to get the license I can either take a skills test (which I'm sure is a joke) or go through the safety course. If I pass the safety course I automatically get my license. The only thing that sucks is the closest course to me is about an hour away, maybe a little less. But but since I'm on the border there's one in my neighboring state that's a half hour away max. I'd much rather go to that one but I don't think it'll allow me to get my license. Unless I just take it for the skills and go through the actual test.

Watevaman

You don't always have to take the DMV tests after. My MSF course completion waived both the written and riding tests at the DMV. They gave me a paper at the MSF course that I took to the DMV and essentially just got my license.

edit: kaskade, I wouldn't consider the DMV skills test a joke. I'm fairly certain there are portions that are much harder than any of the stuff they make you do in an MSF course.

I wish we had more small displacement bike here in the states. Maybe not 125 small (due to greater distances and highways), but would help people learn to ride a bit more safely.

The dmv test is harder than the msf but I would still take advantage of taking the class.

Yeah, I am. AFAIK, I have to take the knowledge portion to get the permit. Then to get the license I can either take a skills test (which I'm sure is a joke) or go through the safety course. If I pass the safety course I automatically get my license. The only thing that sucks is the closest course to me is about an hour away, maybe a little less. But but since I'm on the border there's one in my neighboring state that's a half hour away max. I'd much rather go to that one but I don't think it'll allow me to get my license. Unless I just take it for the skills and go through the actual test.

I would just go straight for the license so you don't have to do the permit at all. Usually it's either a Fri - Sun thing or just a Sat, Sun class. I think DMV stuff is usually more strict than just going and taking a class, where the atmosphere and instructors are more lax.

You don't always have to take the DMV tests after. My MSF course completion waived both the written and riding tests at the DMV. They gave me a paper at the MSF course that I took to the DMV and essentially just got my license.

edit: kaskade, I wouldn't consider the DMV skills test a joke. I'm fairly certain there are portions that are much harder than any of the stuff they make you do in an MSF course.

Really? My MSF course only waived the riding test. I had to take a test on the computer at the DMV, even though we took a written one at the MSF class. The DMV test was more in depth than the MSF one. Oh well, that was 7 years ago lol.

I wish we had more small displacement bike here in the states. Maybe not 125 small (due to greater distances and highways), but would help people learn to ride a bit more safely.

The dmv test is harder than the msf but I would still take advantage of taking the class.

We have plenty of 250's here that are perfect for learning. People buy a lot of them too so there's usually a good amount of used ones circling around all the time.

DrBo42

Looking at the sideplates, is that a regular T100 and you've just swapped the seat/bars for a Thruxton setup? How does it handle compared to stock?

Yep. Corbin Smuggler seat on there for some storage space, risers and thruxton bars with bar ends. Handles 100% better.

Discusguy

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8404/8639411036_62e62d803c_h.jpg

And here it is. EK MVXZ 520 with Driven sprockets. Got the bike mostly clean in this shot. Tailbag is new...very handy I must say. Nice for the long rides when I want to carry a clear shield for a night ride back! It's a FastPack by The Cycle Guys. Only holds up to 5lbs, but that's fine for what I'm using it for. Has stayed put even after hitting 145.

Nice!! Really like the nice clean look.

Got my bike all polished, tuned, and ready to go. Its been a crappy week here. Raining all week and in the lower 40s in April. The weather forecast doesn't look too nice either next week. The bike is just sitting in my garage waiting for nice riding weather.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z325/compile08/r6fs_zps37f43c29.jpg

Top Bottom