• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

TCRS

Banned
Where do you live? I don't think Honda has released the 150 in the UK.

Speaking of Honda I love their new bikes. The CB1100, The NC bikes, the CB series, CBF1000F, the CB1300 HHHNNNGGGG! (not exactly new but still) Their small bikes and scooters are brilliant too. They need to update the ST tourer though, that one looks old.

Dougald

Still need to book a test ride on that CB1100

I heard they're putting out a new ST model for 2014 to replace the ST1300. Hopefully it's nice as by all accounts the 1300 wasn't a huge improvement on the 1100 (and I'm not just saying that because I have an ST1100).

Though frankly, I'll probably sell the 1100 next year and get something completely different, as long as whatever I get can handle the rain and cold.

TCRS

Banned
Though frankly, I'll probably sell the 1100 next year and get something completely different, as long as whatever I get can handle the rain and cold.

2012-new-BMW-K1600GT.jpg

:D

Dougald

BMW really do seem to just be setting the standard that other manufacturers borrow from these days don't they? At least in Europe..

I'm kind of tempted by an adventure bike, I tried the 1200GS and can certainly see why they are so popular. But lack of wind protection wouldn't be great for the winter, as I don't always have the option of a car

Nice scooter. What else do you have?

2010 aprilia mana 850 gt (selling this, gonna get a more comfortable tourer)
2009 aprilia shiver 750 (weekender, track)
2013 piaggio bv 350 (traded in the sportcity for it, main commuter ride with the mana for sale)
2013 honda pcx 150

i have a problem :-(

Damaged

2013 piaggio bv 350 (traded in the sportcity for it, main commuter ride with the mana for sale)
2013 honda pcx 150

Good to see another Aprilia owner on here, I have a 750 Dorsoduro factory :) have you seen the new caponord? http://caponord.aprilia.com/en/home.html

Aprilia-Caponord-1200.jpg

Uses the engine from the 1200 Dorsoduro

daw840

So excited! Gonna go rip up the twisty Warrensburg, Missouri roads on Sunday. Supposed to be 72 and sunny during the day. I just hope that the storms that are supposed to roll through around 8 pm don't catch us!

2013 honda pcx 150

My brother has that generation Shiver. Fun bike I must say.

I have now been riding the K1300S for a week... only have 200 miles on and was not impressed to get out on the weekend. This bike looks big but as soon as you pull away its like a small size bike. The center of gravity is low and this helps allot.

This bike should really come with a velcro seat and handle bars and its not quick it more like being strapped to a solid fuel motor... its awesome.

The seat is comfortable and the riding position is great. Still allot to get use to. Now that the weather is a bit better I will take the long road home every night to get my 600miles done.

If you have never felt the urge to ride a BMW just do yourself a favour and go and test ride one. It roll's in 6th gear from 30 mph to where every you like to go.

Go and check it out... not going to cost you anything

FL4TW4V3

First ride of the year for my Burgman 650 yesterday. It feels good to leave the car home and have some fun on the way to and back from work :)

I have now been riding the K1300S for a week... only have 200 miles on and was not impressed to get out on the weekend. This bike looks big but as soon as you pull away its like a small size bike. The center of gravity is low and this helps allot.

This bike should really come with a velcro seat and handle bars and its not quick it more like being strapped to a solid fuel motor... its awesome.

The seat is comfortable and the riding position is great. Still allot to get use to. Now that the weather is a bit better I will take the long road home every night to get my 600miles done.

If you have never felt the urge to ride a BMW just do yourself a favour and go and test ride one. It roll's in 6th gear from 30 mph to where every you like to go.

Go and check it out... not going to cost you anything

I always thought it was a great looking bike. Not sure if I missed, but did you get it new? They seemed a little pricey. I've ridden the S1000RR twice and that thing was great, but I'm sure it doesn't have the low-mid pull of the K1300.

Nice!! Really like the nice clean look.

Got my bike all polished, tuned, and ready to go. Its been a crappy week here. Raining all week and in the lower 40s in April. The weather forecast doesn't look too nice either next week. The bike is just sitting in my garage waiting for nice riding weather.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z325/compile08/r6fs_zps37f43c29.jpg

Somehow missed your post. Your bike is looking great!

daw840

Ended up putting damn near 400 miles on the SV yesterday through somenofnthe craziest twisties I've ever been on. I'm still sore.

I always thought it was a great looking bike. Not sure if I missed, but did you get it new? They seemed a little pricey. I've ridden the S1000RR twice and that thing was great, but I'm sure it doesn't have the low-mid pull of the K1300.

Yes got it new... only two weeks old now. Took the long way home last night and they said they moved the power curve to be from around 3000 to just before 11000. I have not tried the 1000RR as I like to have a bit more comfort for long trips.

One mate said he wants to go to the isle of man to ride the track and when I told him its about 250 mile to get to the ferry he said its to far. lol and he wants to go and tour in europe hehe

Go and give it a try ...

Went for my first ride today. SO fun. I took the safety course but that was last August.

ibdh8EwDgl4OFu.JPG

First puttered around my subdivision, getting used to the mechanics. And then some quiet roads (no stoplights).

Can't wait to get out again!

Watevaman

Had my first run in with someone pulling out in front of me today. In their defense I was running fast, but in my defense they shouldn't have stopped in the middle of the lanes like they did.

Question for 2 wheel GAF. My bike has sat in the garage for almost two years unused! And I want to revive it! What do I have to do and what should I do?

I know I have to:
- change oil
- change coolant
- sync throttle bodies
- change brake pads
- bleed/flush brake fluid
- drain/flush fuel tank
- change form oil

I should do:
- change the chain
- change spark plugs
- change battery (has been on battery tender for almost two years!)
- wash and wax the fairings
- change tires

Any advice is appreciated.

Dougald

Question for 2 wheel GAF. My bike has sat in the garage for almost two years unused! And I want to revive it! What do I have to do and what should I do?

I know I have to:
- change oil
- change coolant
- sync throttle bodies
- change brake pads
- drain/flush fuel tank
- change form oil

I should do:
- change the chain
- change spark plugs
- change tires

If you left it with fuel in the tank, you'll want to check that for sure.

I'd just say change all fluids (oil, brake fluid, plus final drive and coolant if you have it) & check all consumables (especially tyres if they have been on the ground).

I would just be getting out the service manual and just running through a major service + safety checks.

I know I have to:
- change oil
- change coolant
- sync throttle bodies
- change brake pads
- drain/flush fuel tank
- change form oil

I should do:
- change the chain
- change spark plugs
- change tires

I should do:
- change the chain (not if any of the links are seased)
- change spark plugs (take it out and check for oil and buildup if there are not much dont)
- change battery (has been on battery tender for almost two years!) (That should be fine)
- wash and wax the fairings (always good no high pressure cleaner)
- change tires (only if its afecting ride, flat spots or perrishing)

Enjoy the revive process.

I know I have to:
- change oil
- change coolant
- sync throttle bodies
- change brake pads
- drain/flush fuel tank
- change form oil

I should do:
- change the chain
- change spark plugs
- change tires

Depending on how it was stored and if it is carbureted, you may need to clean + sync the carbs (unless that's what you mean by sync throttle bodies).

How am I supposed to see behind me with the mirrors? I swear it points at my arms most of the time. Really hard to tell.

Any tips? Different mirrors/extenders/am I doing something wrong?

How am I supposed to see behind me with the mirrors? I swear it points at my arms most of the time. Really hard to tell.

Any tips? Different mirrors/extenders/am I doing something wrong?

Most sporty bike mirrors are not particularly wonderful. That said, I deal. I didn't end up liking bar end mirrors in practice. I think I position the mirrors so they look a bit to the side of my arms. If I have to see behind me I rotate my torso just a bit away from whichever mirror I'm looking at. Also try keeping your elbows a bit closer to your sides if you are not already.

Its finally here!! Now to wait for the last of the snow to melt and the streets to get cleaned a little. Ive just been sitting on it going vroom vroom. Oh and I discovered I look damn sexy in leather lol

75fBTgIl.jpg
[/IMG]

Do any scooter owners have an opinion on the aprilia scarabeo 200? I initially wanted something smaller just for commuting (no highway, 10 miles) but really I would like to have a highway option if I wanted to venture around outside the city (Austin) or jump in the slow lane for a bit. I like the look, it's just highway legal and it's in my budget but I don't see much about them. I was looking at the Honda PCX150 but I don't like the way it looks much at all. I'm looking for a 2-seater.

The Genuine Stella is my favorite so far but I'm not entirely sure if I want to shift gears or if it'd be comfortable for longer periods if need be. It also tops at 60, which is perfectly fine for commuting though.

get the aprilia sportcity 250 if you can find one. for a bigger, slab-friendly scoot that isn't a full-on old man maxi, check out the piaggio bv350.

I know I have to:
- change oil
- change coolant
- sync throttle bodies
- change brake pads
- drain/flush fuel tank
- change form oil

I should do:
- change the chain
- change spark plugs
- change tires

I don't think 2 years of sitting would ruin all that stuff on the bike. Your engine oil, brake pads, coolant, battery, etc didn't go anywhere. I would only do those things if they had problems already.

The most important thing would be to get rid of the old fuel and check the carburetor. The tires should be ok unless they are showing signs of dry rot. And to clean and wax the chain.

Lots of firsts this weekend. First filll-up, first time on major roads, first time up to 100km/h.
I rode with my friend for a couple hours as well, she has a hindle exhaust that is ridiculously loud. Sounds good revving in tunnels lol.

I have about 200km on the bike now. Also, I think my riding pants are a big snug (TMI warning); I call them ballcrushers.

Dougald

What do you guys make of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9776325.stm

A new car/bike hybrid that can't be tipped over easily.

Ridiculous, all the impracticality of a bike (size), while taking away the ability to filter in heavy traffic, and enclosing the rider to remove all sensation.

Never mind that the most common accident for motorcyclists is not "falling while turning a corner" as the BBC have tried to claim a few times in the past, it's getting t-boned by people pulling out in front of you.

Damaged

Woohoo!! dropped the bike off for a quick service today and got the new Capanord 1200 as my loan bike, cracking bit of kit, cruises happily at 90 mph and isnt too bad in the corners

get the aprilia sportcity 250 if you can find one. for a bigger, slab-friendly scoot that isn't a full-on old man maxi, check out the piaggio bv350.

AF1 here in Austin has a new 2009 Sportcity 125 for around $2500 out the door. Would that be a good choice if I end up getting one for backroad commuting and going around town? I've been reading good and bad about it. The bad mostly that its actually a cheap Chinese bike but made to seem Italian made.

Onikaan

I'm going to book my CBT in a few weeks, a light motorcycle would be perfect for my daily commute and practical for everything else. Looking at 2nd hand bikes, eyed a few 125cc Honda's that I'm interested in.

Any riding tips for a newbie that helped you guys out first time you sat on a motorcycle?

TCRS

Banned
Life savers (always!), proper bike jacket, bike gloves. It helps if you have a yellow vest or other reflective clothing for days with bad visibility. In London that's almost mandatory imo. Assume no one has seen you, don't think you have the right of way so you can just go without looking.

What bike are you looking for? The CBF125 is a nice bike. If you live in London and you're mainly going to be riding in London I recommend a scooter.

Onikaan

Life savers (always!), proper bike jacket, bike gloves. It helps if you have a yellow vest or other reflective clothing for days with bad visibility. In London that's almost mandatory imo. Assume no one has seen you, don't think you have the right of way so you can just go without looking.

What bike are you looking for? The CBF125 is a nice bike. If you live in London and you're mainly going to be riding in London I recommend a scooter.

I do like the CBF, looks like a solid machine for the price. But what do I know! Not much.

I live in rural Scotland, so it'll be for small towns and country roads mostly.

Dougald

You go where you look, so always look where you want to go. If you look at that pavement, you're going to end up on it!

I wish I could say I wasn't speaking from experience. Target fixation was the toughest thing for me to overcome when I was learning, though it's all second nature now

TCRS

Banned
I do like the CBF, looks like a solid machine for the price. But what do I know! Not much.

I live in rural Scotland, so it'll be for small towns and country roads mostly.

Well, the CBF125 is the best selling bike in that class. You really can't go wrong with it. Don't forget to check the service history though, people often like to sell a bike before a big service is due!

Onikaan

You go where you look, so always look where you want to go. If you look at that pavement, you're going to end up on it!

I wish I could say I wasn't speaking from experience. Target fixation was the toughest thing for me to overcome when I was learning, though it's all second nature now

As an avid mountain biker I can share your sentiment! The amount of times I've careered off the trail because I was looking at something other than the dirt has got me in trouble, especially when you're at speed.

I'm hoping my balance and skill on a bicycle might help when I get on a Motorbike?

Well, the CBF125 is the best selling bike in that class. You really can't go wrong with it. Don't forget to check the service history though, people often like to sell a bike before a big service is due!

Cool. I'll be checking them out in person soon!

What do you think about buying new for a first bike? CBF is affordable.

TCRS

Banned
What do you think about buying new for a first bike? CBF is affordable.

Hmm.. you don't want to ride a 125cc bike for ever. Ride it for one year, get a license for a big bike. Unless you are not allowed to ride a big bike yet (there are new rules, I don't exactly know how they work) and you are planning to ride for two, three years, then it might pay off. Otherwise getting a used bike is probably better. Preferably from a dealership, because they have to give you a 6 months warranty on a used bike, so they'll make sure the bike is in good condition (and it might even have some manufacturers warranty left).

That's how I would do it.

Onikaan

Hmm.. you don't want to ride a 125cc bike for ever. Ride it for one year, get a license for a big bike. Unless you are not allowed to ride a big bike yet (there are new rules, I don't exactly know how they work) and you are planning to ride for two, three years, then it might pay off. Otherwise getting a used bike is probably better. Preferably from a dealership, because they have to give you a 6 months warranty on a used bike, so they'll make sure the bike is in good condition (and it might even have some manufacturers warranty left).

That's how I would do it.

I am of age for Direct Access. However, I'd like to ride a 125cc for a good length of time to get used to the road and the motorcycle. Dealerships "near" me don't have as many 2nd hand 125s as I'd hoped. There's a 2nd hand CBR125 close by... I'd like to PM you the link if that's ok? I'm interested in your thoughts on that one.

TCRS

Banned
Sure, I'll look at it, but post it here so other people can too give their opinions. (Unless you don't want to give away your exact location or something. PM me in that case.)

Onikaan

Sure, I'll look at it, but post it here so other people can too give their opinions. (Unless you don't want to give away your exact location or something. PM me in that case.)

Haha, I was trying to be sly in case anyone from here jumped on it, but I'll chance it.

EDIT: Pm'd, heh.

Dougald

I am of age for Direct Access. However, I'd like to ride a 125cc for a good length of time to get used to the road and the motorcycle. Dealerships "near" me don't have as many 2nd hand 125s as I'd hoped. There's a 2nd hand CBR125 close by... I'd like to PM you the link if that's ok? I'm interested in your thoughts on that one.

Frankly, if you can get Direct Access, I'd do that before getting a bike, it'll give you a taster on a larger bike and you may well find that a 125cc is too small for you. I think if I'd started with a 125 it wouldn't have lasted very long..

Top Bottom