• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

I use two on my GS500 but I'm pretty positive even if I grabbed with 4 fingers it wouldn't lock up. Even with a stainless line the brakes just don't seem to do too much.

Hell, everyone complains about the rear brake always locking but I put a stainless line on mine and I can seemingly jump on it without problems.

Don't think this was posted here yet, but DAMN there's a perfect case of target fixation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18

Ouch!! As both a motorcyclist and bicycle rider, this doubly hurts me. I always felt totally naked in road bike gear and basically you are. I have the road rash scars to prove that. But frankly, I always wondered what would happen if I got rear ended by a motorcycle on my bike. You called it, target fixation all the way.

Piggus

So I'm building a motorized 66 cc bicycle based on a cheap Huffy Nel Lusso beach cruiser. The engine kit got here today and the bike and my upgrades will arrive in the next few days. Should be a fun little project and I'll post it when it's done.

8694937181_52ca0bf960_c.jpg

Spring cleaning: check
Little helper: adorable
New brake pads: installed
State safety inspection: passed

Woohoo legit for 2 more years.

Damn nice looking bike and its had some good reviews

Enjoy

What do you guys think of braking with 2 fingers versus 4?

- when I rode mountain bikes I would only ever use 1 finger because the disks were very sensitive.
- I don't think I can get the braking power of 4 when only using 2, though this is likely because my levers aren't set up for just braking with 2? (maybe move the lever inwards, or go to a short lever?)

I like two because I can rev-match while slowing for a corner, but the time or two when I wanted to stop ASAP I used all four. Any tips? Thanks and sorry for the barrage of questions!

I also go for two... never needed that much power to use all four and it feels safer to have more grip on the bar.

daw840

My MSF course told us to always use all 4 fingers as you have more control. Though whoever owned my bike before me ground down the levers to make custom shorty levers so I really can't....lol

Is there really a power difference between using 4 fingers and 2? I've tried them both and it seems like I can get the exact same feeling from each. I'd like to think it's more of a personal preference thing than anything else.

Is there really a power difference between using 4 fingers and 2? I've tried them both and it seems like I can get the exact same feeling from each. I'd like to think it's more of a personal preference thing than anything else.

I'd agree...probably more a level of preference. I've gotten used to one finger. I cover the front brake a lot. I trail brake a good bit, so I'm used to giving a lot more "fine" input using one. I use that as a reference point for how much squeeze to give. No issues with braking power for me.

Dougald

Helps for me but frankly I think that's more because I have tiny hands, and it's just more reassuring to have the extra grip

It's not something I've ever really thought about frankly, it's all down to whatever works for you

Sarcasm

I brake with 2 to 3. Where I live you can split lanes (go between cars, drive on shoulder) and I tried 4 but I lose control. 4 is good if you want to come to a dead stop..but for those short bursts of braking 2 -3 for me.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I also go for two... never needed that much power to use all four and it feels safer to have more grip on the bar.

four on my Ruckus because both levers are brakes. Like a bicycle. Took a while to get used to pulling both at once since I am used to that being an emergency maneuver.

I've broken in the Pilot Power 3s and so far so good. They have great handling characteristics and inspire confidence.

Speaking of inspiring confidence, haha. I was running on a short stretch of highway in between two roads I was on. The road is one where people speed by a bit as the limit is 50mph for some reason. Most do 60-65. I pulled away from the stop sign and was going down a pretty steep hill, with the left turn I would be taking being up on the left over the next hill which is maybe 1/4 of a mile away. Well, as I was coming down the hill I hit about 71...not even unheard of in a car, but in a line of cars coming the other way there was a state trooper who instantly reacted as soon as I came into sight. I already knew it. Luckily I was given a warning...I'm not even sure how (besides good record and me not being an obvious squid). Maybe he's a rider as well. He did however say my turn signals are not legal. I got rid of the lollipop style that stick out a little to smaller flush mount LED ones up front that are far more noticeable (and are angled forward so you can see them looking straight on). The rear tail light has integrated signals that are bigger and brighter than the stock lights. He said that's also illegal. When I looked up the law, Maryland apparently doesn't even require any turn signals on motorcycles (which was my understanding, anyway). Going to have to find out about that.

I think they're probably right about the lights/indicators because the bike is approved for road use with stock everything only (same goes for exhaust etc.).

Watevaman

I've broken in the Pilot Power 3s and so far so good. They have great handling characteristics and inspire confidence.

Speaking of inspiring confidence, haha. I was running on a short stretch of highway in between two roads I was on. The road is one where people speed by a bit as the limit is 50mph for some reason. Most do 60-65. I pulled away from the stop sign and was going down a pretty steep hill, with the left turn I would be taking being up on the left over the next hill which is maybe 1/4 of a mile away. Well, as I was coming down the hill I hit about 71...not even unheard of in a car, but in a line of cars coming the other way there was a state trooper who instantly reacted as soon as I came into sight. I already knew it. Luckily I was given a warning...I'm not even sure how (besides good record and me not being an obvious squid). Maybe he's a rider as well. He did however say my turn signals are not legal. I got rid of the lollipop style that stick out a little to smaller flush mount LED ones up front that are far more noticeable (and are angled forward so you can see them looking straight on). The rear tail light has integrated signals that are bigger and brighter than the stock lights. He said that's also illegal. When I looked up the law, Maryland apparently doesn't even require any turn signals on motorcycles (which was my understanding, anyway). Going to have to find out about that.

If it's like VA they probably have to comply with laws if you do have them.

Piggus

Almost done building my motorized bike :D

It's nothing like some of the beautiful motorcycles in this thread but hey, gotta start somewhere. :p it was fun to build if anything. Can't wait to get the rest of my parts and get it up and running (just waiting on new ignition coil and better brakes.)

Piggus

Hah, I don't know about that. Looks like a classy ride :)

Better brakes sound like a good idea.

Yeah it came with a crappy coaster brake that was useless even without the added weight of the motor. I converted it into a freewheel and bought a set of side pull brakes, which are not amazing but better than the coaster. If I need to I can put a disk on the front but I've read good things about the ones I bought so we'll see.

Dougald

Much nicer in green!

I'd like to try one of those out, I'm thinking of buying either a Versys or a Tiger 800 as my Winter/Longer Distance bike when I'm bored of the ST1100

I'm on my first overnight trip on my motorcycle, and about 5 hours from home my friends chain broke. We are currently about 90 minutes from Las Vegas waiting for tow truck :(

At least it isn't July!

Stinkles

Parked my Ruckus in a lonely spot last night. When I returned it had become a Thruckus.

And this is not even its final form.

c4JV7O1.jpg

Almost done building my motorized bike :D

It's nothing like some of the beautiful motorcycles in this thread but hey, gotta start somewhere. :p it was fun to build if anything. Can't wait to get the rest of my parts and get it up and running (just waiting on new ignition coil and better brakes.)

On the contrary. It is literally beautiful.

Did some digging, they are Honda Ruckus scooters. Not a bad price for a new one in the US. Going to try and find out how much they are in the UK. mmmmmm

Dougald

Looks like they're called the Honda Zoomer here (awful name)

Pity they are only 50cc really, as I think it's a great looking scoot, but when I do commute it's all motorway miles.

I'll suggest it to my brother though, he lives and works in a busy city centre and wants to get something small when he has the money.

Never fear! We were back on the road the next afternoon, and are currently having a good time in Monterey California at the ALMS race! I'll post photos and more when I get back home Tuesday. It's kinda cold here, which I never would have expected for this area in Cali this time of year.

My friend was riding a '01 Honda shadow 750, and his chain was only a year old (and yes he did take good care of it). Beware of cheap Chinese chains off eBay. We learned the hard way to not go cheap on chains.

Have yall seen this road rage incident video yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtE-SwEnM4

Pretty ridiculous that he doesn't even know what he did to deserve that. Though the video doesn't show more so who knows what happened before that incident. Either way, great restraint by the rider to not do anything after that. I don't think I could do the same.

daw840

Pretty ridiculous that he doesn't even know what he did to deserve that. Though the video doesn't show more so who knows what happened before that incident. Either way, great restraint by the rider to not do anything after that. I don't think I could do the same.

HA! He's all over the camera too. What a douche. Hopefully those guys turned him in to the police.

HA! He's all over the camera too. What a douche. Hopefully those guys turned him in to the police.

Well supposedly someone has helped him ID the guy and report it to the police department. The rider is waiting for them to see what happens next, though I'm betting nothing will happen at all. I would rather see this spread all around the web since internet backlash could be pretty brutal.

kaskade

If I was the guy on the bike I would've just sped away around him a soon as he stepped out.

Stinkles

Tbh, and I don't advocate violence but it is not a good idea for a little guy like the douche to get in a fistfight with a guy wearing armor and a helmet. I box, and being in a boxing match where my opponent has no gloves or headgear and my head is fully armored is going to end badly for the other guy.

If I was the guy on the bike I would've just sped away around him a soon as he stepped out.

Yep, I'd hope I'd react the same way.

Tbh, and I don't advocate violence but it is not a good idea for a little guy like the douche to get in a fistfight with a guy wearing armor and a helmet. I box, and being in a boxing match where my opponent has no gloves or headgear and my head is fully armored is going to end badly for the other guy.

I did find this funny. Not sure about the camera guy from the video, but his friend was squidding it up pretty hard. But yes, for me...armored jacket, CE chest armor, Knox Handroid gloves, FF helmet, and don't forget some Supertech R boots. Not a good fucking idea to get out of your car like that. The driver is clearly a tard so I'm sure that didn't factor into his stupid actions, but whatever.

Jack_AG

Banned
What the fuck? What the hell was with that driver? Dude just has it out for bikes?

I've been fucked with a few times like teenagers pretending to swerve into me for no damn good reason but I've never had a dude actually stop me while I was riding.

Effnine

My new 2013 WR250R (traded in my Ninja 650) -- I'm absolutely in love. I've already taken it off-road a few times (did some minor trails) and plan on doin' a few mods ... Pro Taper bar and grips already incoming.

6mK7x1P.jpg

No one has antagonized me yet in 34k miles of riding. At least, not on purpose. People do dumb shit all the time, but that's just because they're bad.

edit: That bike looks like you can have some fun on it ;)

Top Bottom