• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years ago today, [redacted] died and the nWo was born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Listen to this for optimal viewing experience.

[gifs courtesy of www.legitshook.com]

Wikipedia said:
The predominant storyline heading into the event was centered on The Outsiders (Scott Hall and Kevin Nash). It began on the May 27, 1996 episode of WCW Monday Nitro when Hall made his first appearance on WCW television, unnamed and unannounced, and declared his intention to invade WCW, making a challenge to Executive Vice President of WCW Eric Bischoff to pick three of his best wrestlers to face him and two partners to be named. The first of those partners was Nash, who debuted in WCW at the June 10, 1996 Nitro, and thereafter both were referred to as The Outsiders. At The Great American Bash, Bischoff told Hall and Nash their challenge was accepted. Hall and Nash demanded to know the identities of the three men. Bischoff refused, and Nash performed a powerbomb on him off the stage through a table. The following night on WCW Monday Nitro, a random drawing occurred and Randy Savage, Sting, and Lex Luger were chosen to face The Outsiders. The Outsiders refused to reveal the identity of their partner and continued to interrupt WCW events.

Wikipedia said:
The main event, labeled "Hostile Takeover Match" by commentators, was between The Outsiders (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) and their mystery partner, and Randy Savage, Sting and Lex Luger. The Outsiders came down without their mystery partner, saying he was in the building, but they were capable by themselves. Luger and Hall started the match. As Nash held Luger onto the top turnbuckle, Sting hit a Stinger Splash on Nash, and Savage hit an axe handle on Hall. Luger, however, was unable to get out of the way and was knocked out cold. The match stopped to take Luger backstage. After the match resumed, Sting dominated Hall and tagged in Savage. Hall hit Savage coming off the top turnbuckle and Nash tagged in. Nash dominated Savage, then Sting. The Outsiders continued to beat down Sting. Sting came back with punches and finally tagged in Savage. Savage performed several diving axe handle smashes on Hall and Nash, but the rally was short lived as Hall distracted the referee long enough for Nash to hit a low blow on Savage.

Hulk Hogan then made his way down to the ring as Nash and Hall fled to the outside.

In a surprise move, the longtime fan favorite Hogan then performed two Atomic Legdrops to Savage, revealing himself to be Hall and Nash's partner as The Outsiders returned to the ring to celebrate their new alliance as the stunned crowd looked on.

WWE List This! video of the greatest heel turn of all time.

If you have the WWE Network (subscribe today for only $9.99/month!), you can watch Bash at the Beach '96 -- one of the highest-graded PPVs of all-time according to the WrassleGAF-certified Chronological PPV Super Grades! -- HERE.

Wikipedia said:
After the event, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan (renamed Hollywood Hogan), now known as the New World Order (nWo), continued their attempt at taking over WCW. On the July 15, 1996 edition of WCW Monday Nitro, the nWo attacked Lex Luger and Big Bubba after their match. On the July 29, 1996 episode of WCW Monday Nitro, The Outsiders attacked Arn Anderson, Marcus Bagwell, Scotty Riggs, and Rey Misterio, Jr., who Nash threw into a dressing room trailer, before driving off in a limousine. At Hog Wild, the following pay-per-view event, Hogan defeated The Giant to win the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Afterwards, they spray painted the letters "NWO" onto the title belt, rechristening it as the official championship title of the nWo.

The nWo became a major part of the history of WCW as well as professional wrestling. The style and nature of mainstream American professional wrestling changed as a result, with storylines becoming more realistic and adult-oriented. While the original nWo ended in 1998, the nWo continued in WCW until 2000 through several different incarnations. The nWo angle aided WCW in their competition against rival company, the World Wrestling Federation (WWF), with Nitro gaining a higher rating than Monday Night Raw, the WWF's premiere television show, for eighty-four consecutive weeks.

Alright, we have seen the end of Hulkamania. For Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, for Dus--Dusty Rhodes, for "Mean" Gene Okerlund, I don't know... I'm Tony Schiavone... Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell! We're out of here... Straight to hell!

Anth0ny

literally the greatest night in the history of the sport of kings.

ultimately gave birth to the boom period that we all remember and cherish.

klonere

Banned
Made the business.

Killed the business.

Such is life, I suppose. Wasn't around for it at all but watching back it still feels very real and visceral. Wrestling at its best, sad at where it ended up.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yea I guess that's about the time my interest in wrestling died. I was never a huge fan but would watch with a couple of my friends who were fans.

20 years later and wwe still living off the fumes with low rent "invasion" angles.

Looking back it's sort of crazy how short lived the "good" nwo era was. By about 6 months in it had run its course but the WCW milked the shit out of it.

norm9

NWO was the best. They ran into two problems. 1) Too bad everybody and their mom became members. 2) They wouldn't lose when they needed to (I blame Hogan and Bischoff). They just kept getting new members.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Greatest heel turn in history. I can't imagine it will ever be topped. Also this angle was the beginning of the end for poor WCW. I often wonder if WCW would have managed to still be around if the NWO never happened.

Ridley327

NWO was the best. They ran into two problems. 1) Too bad everybody and their mom became members. 2) They wouldn't lose when they needed to (I blame Hogan and Bischoff). They just kept getting new members.

This is true, but it led to the blissfully hilarious moments when all 80 members of the NWO were in the ring and scattered like roaches whenever Sting came calling with a baseball bat.

Anth0ny

The greatest payoff was Heenan being right the whole time.

HE WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME

his call was perfect. he was questioning EVERYONE throughout the entire broadcast. paranoid as fuck. you're DAMN RIGHT when hogan came out he was going to question which side he was on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bischoff joining is when it all started going off the rails right?

Nah because Steiner and Bagwell joined after that and 97 had the Wolfpack angle(before the stable) which was real entertaining as its own thing. Steiner joining was the last big turn in February of 1998 because he was basically a WCW 'original' or as close as you could be at that point.

ezekial45

Banned
Bischoff joining is when it all started going off the rails right?

Nah, it was great for awhile when he did. His shoot with McMahon after DX invaded was awesome. It went off the rails when the nWo split and formed different factions. The Wolfpac was terrible.

That's when it just became a regular wrestling angle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to also remind everyone how good the bad nWo B-Team were. Slap Jack Stevie Ray. Scott NORTON.

Wolfpac killed the nWo. Hands down a terrible decision

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm gonna make some of you salty here but it's the cold truth you need to accept

Buff Bagwell was extremely popular and Mr Perfect was a FAR bigger 'glorified jobber' than Buff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The combo of Buff and Steiner were pretty hard to top. Great heels.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Buff Bagwell isn't a name that comes up in Top 5 Intercontinental Champion of All-Time conversations.

On his worst day, Mr. Perfect did not have a match as awful as Buff did with Booker T.

SUCKAH!

In 2016, neither does Mr Perfect.

Nobody came to the NWO for 'match quality'

Heenan screwed up with that call.

No Schiavone screwed up by not telling Heenan what was planned.

Heenan was a heel commentator and Hulk was a face and they'd been feuding since the eighties. Of course Heenan is going to suggest that Hogan is a traitor.

Heenan screwed up with that call.

It's part of Heenan's shtick to just say nonsense like that to get a rise out of the other commentators/the audience at home. I'm sure no one watching at the time took his suggestion even the least bit seriously.

The thing is I dont remember half the members of NWO ever wrestling in matches. Like did Virgil or Ted Dibiase ever wrestle while in the NWO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom