• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years ago today, [redacted] died and the nWo was born

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong - I hate Hogan, he's a racist piece of trash. He is absolutely a terrible person. He was the nWo more than anyone else. Fuck Hulk Hogan.

BadAss2961

Big Sexy was the man, but I don't get how you have him at number 1. If anyone would get the upset nod over Hogan, it would be Hall.

Tom Nook

They had their own NASCAR
kyle-petty-nwo.png

Ended in a botch

Anth0ny

Number one on that list is gross. They would have never been relevant without number two.

yeah I'd probably have Hogan at #1

if not Hogan, Hall

him coming in through the crowd that night on nitro. "You know who I am. But you don't. Know why. I'm here."

fucking MAGIC, friends.

Hey like Buff Bagwell as much as the next guy. He had a great look and could cut a good promo on occasion. But to imply ANY of his matches came close to even the most phoned in WCW-era Hennig match is fucking insane!

Lol everyone was in nwo at the end basically , how didn't they see that would be a problem

LWO > all 😎

I always laughed when people threw garbage in the ring , why don't they do that anymore? ;)

Zee-Row

Banned
Bleacher Report Ranks Every NWO Member Ever

40. and 39. Ron and Don Harris
38. Horace Hogan
37. David Flair
36. Booker T
35. Michael Wallstreet (IRS)
34. Samantha (Torrie Wilson)
33. Big Bubba Rogers (Big Boss Man)
32. Dusty Rhodes
31. Shawn Michaels
30. Stevie Ray
29. Disco Inferno
28. Lex Luger
27. Brian Adams
26. Jeff Jarrett (LOL)
25. Nick Patrick (NWO's own personal ref)
24. Masahiro Chono
23. Miss Elizabeth
22. Scott Norton
21. The Disciple (Beefcake)
20. Louie Spicolli
19. Bret Hart
18. Rick Rude
17. Sting
16. Ted DiBiase
15. Fake Sting
14. Vincent
13. The Great Muta
12. Curt Hennig
11. Buff Bagwell
10. Dennis Rodman
9. Syxx (XPAC)
8. Konnan
7. The Giant (Big Show)
6. Scott Steiner
5. Randy Savage
4. Eric Bischoff
3. Scott Hall
2. Hulk Hogan
1. Kevin Nash
I would rank Fake Sting higher since he had a big part in changing the Real Sting's character.

VoxPop

Sad that this can never be recreated and that wrestling will never reach that echelon again.

That granny swinging always gets me. Was she a plant?

AColdDay

Can we talk about how much better Hogan looked during the NWO era than the steroids bloated mess he was in his WWF run?

Bleacher Report Ranks Every NWO Member Ever

40. and 39. Ron and Don Harris
38. Horace Hogan
37. David Flair
36. Booker T
35. Michael Wallstreet (IRS)
34. Samantha (Torrie Wilson)
33. Big Bubba Rogers (Big Boss Man)
32. Dusty Rhodes
31. Shawn Michaels
30. Stevie Ray
29. Disco Inferno
28. Lex Luger
27. Brian Adams
26. Jeff Jarrett (LOL)
25. Nick Patrick (NWO's own personal ref)
24. Masahiro Chono
23. Miss Elizabeth
22. Scott Norton
21. The Disciple (Beefcake)
20. Louie Spicolli
19. Bret Hart
18. Rick Rude
17. Sting
16. Ted DiBiase
15. Fake Sting
14. Vincent
13. The Great Muta
12. Curt Hennig
11. Buff Bagwell
10. Dennis Rodman
9. Syxx (XPAC)
8. Konnan
7. The Giant (Big Show)
6. Scott Steiner
5. Randy Savage
4. Eric Bischoff
3. Scott Hall
2. Hulk Hogan
1. Kevin Nash

If they were more well versed in their NWO continuity then they would know that the cast of TBS' Dinner and a Movie officially joined the NWO.

SeanC

Probably the greatest heel turn of all time. Not just being a "bad guy" that gets booed but wiling to take something he built for decades and telling all the fans to go fuck themselves. It's shitting on his legacy all for the entertainment and creating a new character, took a lot of balls and all props for Hogan for doing it. I'm not even a massive wrestling fan, not like I was, but I admire that moment.

I just wish he wasn't such a POS. Life imitates art.

j-wood

Side note, but the next played video for me after the Hogan one, was the Vince speech on the post 9/11 show. Don't remember seeing that live, but that was a nice speech.

Sephzilla

Probably the greatest heel turn of all time. Not just being a "bad guy" that gets booed but wiling to take something he built for decades and telling all the fans to go fuck themselves. It's shitting on his legacy all for the entertainment and creating a new character, took a lot of balls and all props for Hogan for doing it. I'm not even a massive wrestling fan, not like I was, but I admire that moment.

I just wish he wasn't such a POS. Life imitates art.

Interstingly enough Hogan didn't want to turn at first. He basically was against it until he saw how hot Nash and Hall were getting

Yep. Best heel turn ever, and no one saw it coming. I never really cared much for Hogan until that point, but I'll be damned if I didn't tune into every single Nitro and Thunder just to see the nWo after that.

Raylan

Banned
Greatest heel turn ever. Greatest stable ever.

Hogan = The greatest&biggest thing in wrestling.... ever!

Suck it, haters!

Yep. Best heel turn ever, and no one saw it coming. I never really cared much for Hogan until that point, but I'll be damned if I didn't tune into every single Nitro and Thunder just to see the nWo after that.
Agreed. I never really got into wrestling in the late 80s/early 90s because of how cartoonish and over-the-top everything was. I never really cared for Hogan either. nWo changed everything.

MC Safety

I would amend the thread title to note Hulkamania never died.

Even now, after Hogan's boorish misstatements and ignorance, Hulkamania is only sleeping.

Hulkamania will never die. It has transcended the man. Once upon a time, Hulk Hogan was a real American, and you were all fake ones.

Still sad that Bret got hurt right before the relaunch. Could been special with him but it wasn't meant to be.
Bret was originally suppose to be the "third man" at Bash at the Beach '96 but decided to re-sign with the WWF at the last minute. I love Bret and all, but no way it would have had the same impact as Hogan.

KingBroly

Banned
My Cable Company cut the feed right after Luger got carted out, so I never saw the ending until years later on youtube.

Still channel switched to get half-second glimpses, though. So I saw Hogan come out, was so excited, then I saw him standing in the ring with Hall and Nash. I was pretty stunned.

It's amazing. It's STILL amazing.

Man, I wish I would have been watching WCW during this time. The whole NWO storyline was so cool. Thanks to the Internet, I've been able to go back and watch a lot of it, but seeing it at the time (I was still such a mark) would have been glorious.

I was really hoping that WWE would have had a superpower heel stable with The Club, but we see how that's turning out. :(

Zach

I just re-watched the last half hour of Bash at the Beach '96. Still crazy. Not quite as crazy as it was to watch Nitro the next night (we couldn't afford a PPV -- c'mon!) live when I was 11, but still crazy.

Responding to a few comments in here:

- Heenan called it appropriately in character, but that doesn't mean it didn't hinder the moment. If he had just laid out and let the turn happen before hitting everyone with an "I told you so", it probably would've been a hair better.
- The Wolfpac was terrible.
- I love the nWo B team theme. It always gets stuck in my head. Probably third only to "Simply Ravishing" and Eddie Guerrero's WCW theme.
- Buff Bagwell was never great. He could occasionally entertain by being a goofball, but his segments -- especially with Big Poppa Pump -- were more often bad than good.

Guzim

I would watch WCW ppvs on Channel 99. The video was scrambled, but the audio came in clear. And I remember it cleared up during the last 5 minutes of the match.

I was 10 years old, and I went nuts when Hogan came out. He was going to beat Hall and Nash and save WCW. Instead he was a bad guy.

I was devastated. I cried so much. My favorite wrestler was bad.

Zach

Free month sounds great. Gonna give it a try.

Thanks!

I hope you find something to enjoy and report back in the Wrasslin' thread. You're always welcome to stop by.

Thanks, RBH. Sorry about stealing your WCW Thunder. I said yesterday that you should make a thread, but didn't see any response. Thought you were dead. Please don't Sting me.

I would watch WCW ppvs on Channel 99. The video was scrambled, but the audio came in clear. And I remember it cleared up during the last 5 minutes of the match.

I was 10 years old, and I went nuts when Hogan came out. He was going to beat Hall and Nash and save WCW. Instead he was a bad guy.

I was devastated. I cried so much. My favorite wrestler was bad.

Awww. That's awesome. I wasn't into Hogan but I was still like "I can't believe this!" I can't imagine if I were a Hulkamaniac at the time...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
no he MADE that call.

He was always calling Hogan out for what he was.

He was right the whole time.

Yep. The vindication there for years of his speculation was an amazing side story.

Striker

Bret was originally suppose to be the "third man" at Bash at the Beach '96 but decided to re-sign with the WWF at the last minute. I love Bret and all, but no way it would have had the same impact as Hogan.
People thought Warrior would've been the third too, because he was gone from the WWF at that point. Neither guy fit the bill as Hogan did. No one would have, really. Just a perfect match at the right moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom