• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years ago today, [redacted] died and the nWo was born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember when Buff went to the WWF and he realized "Oh fuck, I need to be good?"
Or marry the boss's daughter
Ha. Buff Bagwell's career highlight was having his neck broken by Rick Steiner.

The Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner promos were so popular that WCW let them spend as long as they liked on tv with them and come up with their own material

Mr Perfect's career highlights was those taped vignettes where he said one line and being Ric Flair's tagalong

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is I dont remember half the members of NWO ever wrestling in matches. Like did Virgil or Ted Dibiase ever wrestle while in the NWO?

Ted did not, Virgil had a couple.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner promos were so popular that WCW let them spend as long as they liked on tv with them and come up with their own material

Mr Perfect's career highlights was those taped vignettes where he said one line and being Ric Flair's tagalong
I won't cosign on Perfect's viewpoint that you have, but Buff and Steiner were delightful together.

Buff is great in all forms, here's a little taste for people

qHz45PJ.gif

Striker

Heenan screwed up with that call.
I don't remember the entire details but commentary didn't know what was going on, either. I think only Eric and Hogan knew. So with the history of Heenan and the Hulk Hogan character from years back, it totally made sense for him to question why he was out there.

You will stop impugning the name of Curt Hennig. To say nothing of his work in WWF, his stint in WCW gave us the greatest country song of all time.

It's part of Heenan's shtick to just say nonsense like that to get a rise out of the other commentators/the audience at home. I'm sure no one watching at the time took his suggestion even the least bit seriously.

Heenan not trusting Hogan is like 10 years in the making for that moment. He was Hogan's JJ Jameson.

Agreed that NWO got stale because they refused to move on from it. You can only have so many ppvs end with them mobbing the ring, adding a new member, and spray painting the baby faces after a screw job.

Nash's logical break from Hogan should have been a complete face turn for the entire Wolfpac faction, and they should have dropped the NWO logo. Savage, Sting, and Luger never should have joined. Worst of all NWO politics ruined Goldberg.

The thing is I dont remember half the members of NWO ever wrestling in matches. Like did Virgil or Ted Dibiase ever wrestle while in the NWO?

Ted was retired as an in-ring performer at that point so no, but Virgil (or Vincent, as he was called in WCW) was one of the poster boys of the nWo's "B-Team," aka. all the hanger-ons who had no business being in the stable beyond filling out matches on Thunder/Saturday Night/WorldWide and getting beat down by Sting or Goldberg.

Sephzilla

Heenan screwed up with that call.

No way, if anything Heenan implying Hogan was the third man made it seem less likely that Hogan would turn, because Heenan had been ragging on Hogan for years. So Heenan doing what he did was basically status quo. I think Heenan being silent or cheering Hogan against the Outsiders would have been infinitely more of a tipoff.

Well, aside from the whole lack of talent thing and the only promo he could cut was "YOU'RE NEXT."

Doesn't negate the fact that Goldberg was mega-over at the time and WCW, instead of riding his popularity for as long as possible while preparing another new draw to take his place when he inevitably ran out of steam, kneecapped him because the old guard was afraid of losing their spots.

The greatest payoff was Heenan being right the whole time.

HE WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE FUCKING TIME

his call was perfect. he was questioning EVERYONE throughout the entire broadcast. paranoid as fuck. you're DAMN RIGHT when hogan came out he was going to question which side he was on.

Yeah in the moment Heenan's call made sense. It's only when you rewatch it years later on a youtube video you're like 'ah, he spoils it.' But at the time he was ALWAYS saying shit like this, especially at Hogan. It worked. If he HADN'T questioned Hogan when he came out then it would have been obvious because he was questioning everyone.

Sephzilla

The nWo tasering Goldberg bugs me a lot less than Sting not going over Hollywood Hogan clean as a whistle. Sting should have beat Hogan and that should have killed the nWo

mreddie

The nWo tasering Goldberg bugs me a lot less than Sting not going over Hollywood Hogan clean as a whistle. Sting should have beat Hogan and that should have killed the nWo

That was the biggest problem, they didn't know when to end it, they kept it going until 99 only for Russo to bring it back again in 2000 but Hart got hurt.

Couleurs

My memory is a bit hazy, but was the Latino World Order an official spin-off like nWo Japan was? Because they were cool as hell. Eddie Guerrero, La Parka, El Dandy and probably like every other luchadore except Ron Mysterio.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Yeah in the moment Heenan's call made sense. It's only when you rewatch it years later on a youtube video you're like 'ah, he spoils it.' But at the time he was ALWAYS saying shit like this, especially at Hogan. It worked. If he HADN'T questioned Hogan when he came out then it would have been obvious because he was questioning everyone.

If anything, it was Schiavone that spoils it by not being more robust with his comeback. But if the story about both commentators being in the dark is true that would explain why he merely shrugs off Heenan's trolling.

Doesn't negate the fact that Goldberg was mega-over at the time and WCW, instead of riding his popularity for as long as possible while preparing another new draw to take his place when he inevitably ran out of steam, kneecapped him because the old guard was afraid of losing their spots.

By mega-over, you might mean the "Goldberg" chants were piped in, possibly to drown out the competing chants of "Goldberg sucks."

Allegedly.

Pretty much. They might have gotten another year at most out of the slow disintegration of the nWo, but Starrcade '7 should have been the beginning of the end of the angle. The nWo were invaders bent on destroying WCW and rebuilding it in their own image. With that, there's only tow outcomes to the storyline: Either the nWo succeed and the show becomes one giant circle-jerk as nWo guys destroy local jobbers in empty arenas, or WCW expels the invaders in a moment of well-earned catharsis. If you don't eventually reach one of these two points, eventually you'll reach a point where you're just treading water because you don't want to change the status quo, leading to viewers tuning out because they're never gonna get the conclusion they want.

By mega-over, you might mean the "Goldberg" chants were piped in, possibly to drown out the competing chants of "Goldberg sucks."

Allegedly.

To quote DDP, there's no way they did that, because that would take a level of competence that WCW just didn't have.

I've never been into Wrestling, but I find it really interesting. Is WWE Network for $10/m worth it? Will I be able to see all these super historical fights?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
We have a nice nWo topic here and some weak-ass piece of trash shows up showing off Stone Cold

Get that shit out of here. This is for the nWo

I've never been into Wrestling, but I find it really interesting. Is WWE Network for $10/m worth it? Will I be able to see all these super historical fights?

Definitely worth it, they have all the WCW Nitros on there, ever, and PPVs, and a lot of original content. Free month, first month, too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No seriously Sephzilla

Stone Cold has no place here. Get his shit out of here. Give us some meaningful, good posts.

Sephzilla

No seriously Sephzilla

Stone Cold has no place here. Get his shit out of here. Give us some meaningful, good posts.

Get out of here with your condescending crap. Only reason I even brought him up was because people were talking about GOAT theme songs, plus I already contributed some posts regarding the nWo itself. Only person who seems to have an issue with it is you. So, how about you actually give us some good meaningful posts instead of shitting on someone else's posts that nobody else seems to have a problem with?

Lothar

Banned

Most of us are used to paying $40-$50 for one show. The network is $10 for all of them.

It's hard to believe you wouldn't find a lot of entertainment on there to even if you don't know much about wrestling. It's all so wildly different. And even if you find nothing on there you like, it's just $10.

BadAss2961

20 years later and wwe still living off the fumes with low rent "invasion" angles.

Looking back it's sort of crazy how short lived the "good" nwo era was. By about 6 months in it had run its course but the WCW milked the shit out of it.
I remember it being absolute gold all the way to Starrcade '97. Things didn't tail off til after that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Get out of here with your condescending crap. Only reason I even brought him up was because people were talking about GOAT theme songs, plus I already contributed some posts regarding the nWo itself. Only person who seems to have an issue with it is you. So, how about you actually give us some good meaningful posts instead of shitting on someone else's posts that nobody else seems to have a problem with?

no need to get hot about it

watch some wcw and let tony schiavone take you to another place

"hulk hogan you can go to hell"

Kuroyume

Banned
I miss WCW crowds. Thowing shit into the ring was a shitty thing to do but it made the shows feel more lively. More intense. Now WWE shows look dead 90% of the time.

I loved the NWO, mid 90s WcW was the bomb! I always found it funny that they tried to make hulk hogan a bad-guy with hollywood hogan but never really suceeded. Hulk was more a anti-hero than villain during the NWO stretch.

Tom Nook

Bleacher Report Ranks Every NWO Member Ever

40. and 39. Ron and Don Harris
38. Horace Hogan
37. David Flair
36. Booker T
35. Michael Wallstreet (IRS)
34. Samantha (Torrie Wilson)
33. Big Bubba Rogers (Big Boss Man)
32. Dusty Rhodes
31. Shawn Michaels
30. Stevie Ray
29. Disco Inferno
28. Lex Luger
27. Brian Adams
26. Jeff Jarrett (LOL)
25. Nick Patrick (NWO's own personal ref)
24. Masahiro Chono
23. Miss Elizabeth
22. Scott Norton
21. The Disciple (Beefcake)
20. Louie Spicolli
19. Bret Hart
18. Rick Rude
17. Sting
16. Ted DiBiase
15. Fake Sting
14. Vincent
13. The Great Muta
12. Curt Hennig
11. Buff Bagwell
10. Dennis Rodman
9. Syxx (XPAC)
8. Konnan
7. The Giant (Big Show)
6. Scott Steiner
5. Randy Savage
4. Eric Bischoff
3. Scott Hall
2. Hulk Hogan
1. Kevin Nash

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

38. Horace Hogan
37. David Flair
36. Booker T
32. Dusty Rhodes
31. Shawn Michaels
30. Stevie Ray
29. Disco Inferno
28. Lex Luger
27. Brian Adams
26. Jeff Jarrett (LOL)
24. Masahiro Chono
23. Miss Elizabeth
22. Scott Norton
20. Louie Spicolli
19. Bret Hart
18. Rick Rude
17. Sting
16. Ted DiBiase
15. Fake Sting
14. Vincent
13. The Great Muta
12. Curt Hennig
11. Buff Bagwell
10. Dennis Rodman
9. Syxx (XPAC)
8. Konnan
7. The Giant (Big Show)
6. Scott Steiner
5. Randy Savage
4. Eric Bischoff
3. Scott Hall
2. Hulk Hogan
1. Kevin Nash

Disciple should be near the bottom. Rodman higher. Syxx lower. Hennig higher. Norton higher. Hogan should be #1. And Nick Patrick deserves higher.

Konnan LOWER

Sephzilla

38. Horace Hogan
37. David Flair
36. Booker T
32. Dusty Rhodes
31. Shawn Michaels
30. Stevie Ray
29. Disco Inferno
28. Lex Luger
27. Brian Adams
26. Jeff Jarrett (LOL)
24. Masahiro Chono
23. Miss Elizabeth
22. Scott Norton
20. Louie Spicolli
19. Bret Hart
18. Rick Rude
17. Sting
16. Ted DiBiase
15. Fake Sting
14. Vincent
13. The Great Muta
12. Curt Hennig
11. Buff Bagwell
10. Dennis Rodman
9. Syxx (XPAC)
8. Konnan
7. The Giant (Big Show)
6. Scott Steiner
5. Randy Savage
4. Eric Bischoff
3. Scott Hall
2. Hulk Hogan
1. Kevin Nash

Syxx
being in the top 10 is absolutely disgusting

Sephzilla

I have no problem with that top 3.
Hogan turning
is what got them the attention but honestly
Hogan
nearly ruined the angle by turning it into "another wresting angle". The style of the nWo promos vids basically saved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom