• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

200 former Penn State players file petition to return Paterno statue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, the guy who willingly covered up decades of child rape by Jerry Sandusky.

Centre Daily Times said:
Over 200 former Penn State football players have sent a petition to the university asking it to return the statue of Joe Paterno and the player wall that stood behind it to the premises.

The players also requested a formal apology be made to Sue Paterno and the Paterno family by the university.

“We have been told during the last four-plus years that the board and administration are waiting for the appropriate time to repair the damage they created,” he said via a release. “Now is the appropriate time. Enough is enough!”

The statement, in part, says that players “remain saddened that the Penn State administration and the Board of Trustees thrust our program and coach into an undeserved negative media frenzy in 2011. Nearly five years after the firestorm, they still have not defended us or corrected the false narrative. Our legacy and our university deserve better. Penn State’s leaders should take two steps toward repairing the damage that they created.”

The only positive of this story: All of the signee names are listed.

As long as it's a statue of Paterno burning in hell, while the devil wearing a Michigan sweater stabs him in the ass with a trident I'm cool with it.

They know that he failed to report Paterno to authorities back when the abuse was going on, don't they?

Yeah but like, their team won a bunch of games when he was coach, that's clearly more important!!!

I'm baffled as to why they want to continue bringing this up. They really need to take the L and move on, kicking and screaming isn't going to bring the statue back.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm 100% on board with restoring the Paterno statue.

Just make sure there's another statue of a child being molested nearby, and make sure Paterno is facing the other way.

SeanC

The players also requested a formal apology be made to Sue Paterno and the Paterno family by the university.

Maybe Joe should be the one to apologize.

Somebody should check with him about that.

Oh? What? He's unavail?

Well ain't that too bad...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah but like, their team won a bunch of games when he was coach, that's clearly more important!!!

I'm baffled as to why they want to continue bringing this up. They really need to take the L and move on, kicking and screaming isn't going to bring the statue back.

I'm one of maybe five former Penn State students who don't think that Paterno was treated unfairly and that the school deserved harsher punishment than they got, but before this all came out he was known for far more than just winning football games. He and his family were huge for the school and not just the team. Without Joe Paterno that school would be a fraction of the size, wouldn't have the resources of the Big 10, wouldn't have had $10 million donated towards construction of a huge library on campus, and would have had thousands fewer students each year with the opportunity to learn.

None of this excuses covering up abuse of children, but people have an attachment to the man for more than just winning games. He was below average for a decade before people even considered asking him to retire, and he only ended up leaving because of this scandal. That wouldn't be the case if he was a popular coach because he wins.

Sanjuro

You can't blame the statue. It was an old timey statue that didn't understand complicated matters like child rape and storage.

Guevara

They're just ahead of the curve. 4 years isn't enough to forget everything and go back to how it was. 10 years might be.

Breakdown of petition by decade played/graduated:

50s - 7
60s - 26
70s - 74 (includes one request made by family)
80s - 46
90s - 28
00s - 25
10s - 5
Coaches/staff - 8

Paterno enabled child rape. Fuck him and his legacy. The football program at Penn State should have been shut down.

Not only was the program built on the back of child rape, I firmly believe that they were involved somehow in the disappearance of District Attorney Ray Gricar.

I don't live too far away from State College. I used to go to games with my dad and grandfather when I was a kid. I deeply understand the cult of personality that was erected around Paterno. It's fucking disgusting that anyone would defend him. Even my dad, who was a giant PSU fan, doesn't want the statue back.

Melt it into a statue for the victims.

Penn State players, students, alumni, administration and fans probably need a more visual reminder of what not to do.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
As long as it's a statue of Paterno burning in hell, while the devil wearing a Michigan sweater stabs him in the ass with a trident I'm cool with it.

Aaaaaand you just came up with the most epic college prank ever. I'd Kickstart that. If you made the devil really big compared to Joe then you could have him getting skewered Cannibal Holocaust-style (NSFW to show) on the center tine.

Volimar

It'll happen eventually. Coaches are like gods at some of these schools.

As an Ohio State fan, there are limits man.

cognitive dissonance

They think all they have to do it get that statue back up and they can go back to pretending nothing happened and once they can pretend, the rest of us have to as well.

Return the statue to its former site. Have a big rededication ceremony for all the Paterno supporters.

Then...

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom