• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
TuSeiSkeefoso said:
The fact that even one person in this hockey thread is considering buying 2K8 over NHL08, is even more disturbing.
I've played them both, extensively. STFU.

Future Shop claims they'll have both in today. Looks like I'm skipping for lunch earlier than usual.

Captain N said:
Live Gamertag - Tag McLOVIN
:lol

GuessWho

bishoptl said:

Future Shop claims they'll have both in today. Looks like I'm skipping for lunch earlier than usual.

give us update if you got the game.

Tiktaalik

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
The fact that even one person in this hockey thread is considering buying 2K8 over NHL08, is even more disturbing.

I haven't played 2k8 yet (where's my demo?), but considering how badly the EGM podcast review crew slammed 2k8, I'm not really considering it at all.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I steered clear of the 2K series last year because of their game-ruining bugs and glitches that never seemed to get fixed.

Thankfully, I ran into NHL 07, and I'm not looking back. Bring on 08.

Tiktaalik said:
I haven't played 2k8 yet (where's my demo?), but considering how badly the EGM podcast review crew slammed 2k8, I'm not really considering it at all.

I must admit it was off putting, but they didn't really go into much detail.

As far as I could tell NHL 08 just showed more of an improvement than last year, whereas NHL2K8 had only minor changes. Now if people prefer the 2K style of hockey then I see no reason why they would feel the need to 'jump ship'...

bishoptl said:
As a proud Canadian I'm buying both - plus the EA league filled up too quickly. Bastards!

I'm astonished they didn't reserve you a place Bish, these kids just have no respect.

Just to reiterate GAF, this guy is making Turok

bud

Opus Angelorum said:
I'm astonished they didn't reserve you a place Bish, these kids just have no respect.

Just to reiterate GAF, this guy is making Turok.

say it again, because you haven't said it enough.
please, say it again.

you're making me hate turok.

but say it again.

bishoptl said:

I'm curious to see if you find 08 today since EB has delayed it on their website. Maybe that is just them.

darscot

A few things about the IGN review annoy me, mainly the complaints about ESPN content. Clearly IGN is clueless, its EA's fault that the NHL and ESPN do not have a deal? If your going to pull points for that talk to Bettman not EA.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Treo, are you picking up 2K8?

Also, if anyone else is getting 2K8 today, I'll be on around 11pm EST if you want to play.

Treo360

purgeface said:
Treo, are you picking up 2K8?

Also, if anyone else is getting 2K8 today, I'll be on around 11pm EST if you want to play.

You know, I really want to, but I've been dazzled by '08 and the lack of a 2k8 demo, well, I'll see if Blockbuster has it in today and will give it a rental.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I will be interested in hearing about the online stability of both games. The 2K games have been pretty solid online while the EA games have been hit or miss (but have improved significantly with Madden and Tiger lately).

Kingpen

I've had enough... going nuts over here like a drug addict looking for some smack... I'm going home for about 5 minutes, finding enough trade bait to pick up NHL2k8 today, and will pick up NHL08 tomorrow.

I'll be down to play any of you guys online in either 2k8 or NHL08. I won't join the 2k8 league right now cause I don't think I have the time for 2 different leagues...

Hockey is my soul. I can't bear the thought of people playing a new NHL related game today and me not joining in... (I was borderline going to buy both games at launch last year as well).

darscot said:
A few things about the IGN review annoy me, mainly the complaints about ESPN content. Clearly IGN is clueless, its EA's fault that the NHL and ESPN do not have a deal? If your going to pull points for that talk to Bettman not EA.

Is that the actual reason ESPN isn't being utilized in EA Hockey. What is their excuse for football? I really wish they had never bought that ESPN license because they are just sitting on it.

bishoptl said:
As a proud Canadian I'm buying both - plus the EA league filled up too quickly. Bastards!

If you ban the guy who took the Leafs in the 360 08 league, I'll give you the Canucks.

:lol :lol

darscot

DoctorWho said:
Is that the actual reason ESPN isn't being utilized in EA Hockey. What is their excuse for football? I really wish they had never bought that ESPN license because they are just sitting on it.

I don't follow the NFL or Madden so I can't comment on that, but the NHL / ESPN feud is well documented and has been ongoing since the NHL went with Versus. Its a legal issue that has nothing to do with EA.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DoctorWho said:

Unlikely, as I think EA has an entire department devoted to license sitting.

Captain N

I just got home with 2K8 and paid off 08 while I was there.

Superstar Moves - I haven't heard of these, but they are things like the Spin-O-Rama by pressing X,Y and holding the Left Trigger

Posting impressions soon. Ask away..

Captain N said:

Superstar Moves - I haven't heard of these, but they are things like the Spin-O-Rama by pressing X,Y and holding the Left Trigger

Did they mention when 08 would be in?

purg3

slept with Malkin
Captain N said:

Are the goalies actually "fixed" from last years version. Do they have new animations, and are the cheap goals fixed? You probably know what I'm talking about if you played last years.

Captain N

purgeface said:
Are the goalies actually "fixed" from last years version. Do they have new animations, and are the cheap goals fixed? You probably know what I'm talking about if you played last years.

Like glove high and turtle shelling?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does 2K8 immediately look noticeably more polished? How are the one-timers? Do you feel yourself liking the NHL 08 demo more after playing 2K8?

In case anyone wants to know. This place in Toronto called Game Centre has them in stock.
It's at Yonge and Bloor Streets. I'm picking up 2 copies of NHL '08 for PS3 (one is for my brother) which I've already reserved. They have XBOX 360 version's in as well. Just giving some of you who live here a head's up. I asked about 2K7, but the guy said, "We don't sell that bullshit game here". Just kidding, that was a joke.
Cheers.:D

X26

Banned
sucks not knowing which one to buy, I'll probably wait until next week when more opinions are out there

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
In case anyone wants to know. This place in Toronto called Game Centre has them in stock.
It's at Yonge and Bloor Streets. I'm picking up 2 copies of NHL '08 for PS3 (one is for my brother) which I've already reserved. They have XBOX 360 version's in as well. Just giving some of you who live here a head's up. I asked about 2K7, but the guy said, "We don't sell that bullshit game here". Just kidding, that was a joke.
Cheers.:D

Tempting. I have it preordered in full at EB though and apparently the Yorkdale EB just got 08 in stock. Of course that is gamefaqs talking.

EDIT: TuSeiSkeefoso
Banned
(Today, 02:09 PM)

WTF?!

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Just picked up 2K8 for PS3 at Best Buy. I'll take the Flyers (or play Big E for them online) if we get a league going :D

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just got back from Future Shop with a copy of 2K8. NHL 08 won't be in until tomorrow at the earliest. *fume*

calder

My dinky local HMV doesn't have them yet, but again the counter jockey was nice enough to hunt through boxes of shit in the back to make sure it hadn't come in yet. I feel almost guilty when I keep getting the extra-helpful, strangely competent sales rep who cheerfully goes out of their way just to see. Because I'm pretty sure in their situation my ass wouldn't be leaving the counter I was slouching against.

Still not going to buy both. Still not quite sure which one to get.

Top Bottom