• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I was hearing through the grapevine that NHL 08 was the darling of some reviewers. I am not going to base my decision on one review, but I think that if the trend continues, there may be a need for a second NHL 08 GAF league. :(

Kingpen

Damn... trip to gamestop put on hold for now... I think I'll just wait to hear some of the impressions you guys dish out first before total impulse...

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
Damn... trip to gamestop put on hold for now... I think I'll just wait to hear some of the impressions you guys dish out first before total impulse...

:lol

I keep imagining you rushing to the door, grabbing your coat and hat, turning the knob, then running back to your computer for one more hit of F5. Then you see the 4.0, slump sadly in your chair, throw your hat to the ground, and look at the clock.

Then someone buys 2K8 and posts good impressions, and you run for the door again. Rinse, repeat.

WTF at the 1up review of NHL 2k8! Seriously, they gave it a 4?!? It would have to be many orders of magnitude worse than last year's version to warrant that score.

Guys that have the game, what's your take on this?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wow. Well, I played one game on the default settings, Canucks v Ducks. I also tried out some of the mini-games, as I didn't have the opportunity before.

2K spent some $$ on their FE this year, and it shows. Cleaner interface, polished, lots of little touches...very nice. Gameplay is definitely more of the same, with some improvements, especially in faceoffs. You can tie up the opposing center, fake 'em out and get them warned/tossed from the circle, fight for position once the puck is dropped - it's a nice change from other hockey titles. The defense is much more aggressive in their zone 5-on-5 than the EA demo, but that's slider adjustable so I'm not going to ding NHL 08 that much.

Hitting is completely OTT at the default settings. It's funny how 08 gives you hardly any hits, but 2K is The Apocalyptic Return of Scott Stevens, part deux through neuf. When Markus Naslund is taking out Chris Pronger straight up...yeah, those sliders need adjusting as well.

You can switch back to the old style of play, but after playing NHL 08, it feels like a bit of a step back. The issue I have with EA's game is that you have to relearn the controls that have been ingrained since the Genesis days...but once you do, there's a whole slew of control at your fingertips that isn't represented in the 2K title. But if you're comfortable with using the face buttons for shooting and passing, 2K is still your title.

Looks? They both look great, EA's game looks a little better but 2K feels a little less scrambly...it really does boil down to preference. NHL 08 is a definite step up from NHL 07 (at least from the demo), while 2K8 feels like 2K7, amped slightly.

Once NHL 08 comes in, I'll pick that up and give a proper comparison. For now, this'll have to do.

Souther

Banned
bishoptl said:
Good impressions

So i think its safe to say you would not rate this a 4. :)

A Couple of Questions if you don't mind.

1. is there a code for new jerseys like EA is doing.
2. What is Edmonton rated.
3. Is the oilers roster up to date(penner, souray, garon, etc)
4. Are the goalies animated alot better?

Also does anybody else here like playing the game in the Blades of Steel view...I think i prefer it this way now.

Thanks

DenogginizerOS

Kingpen said:

I think it would be wise to let people spend more time with 2K8 to get better impressions, but it sounds like 08 is a safe bet this year. I may go with it just because I had 2K7 last year and I might want to try a different game.

The hitting in 2K8 sounds like NHL Hitz. :(

bishoptl said:
Wow. Well, I played one game on the default settings, Canucks v Ducks. I also tried out some of the mini-games, as I didn't have the opportunity before.

2K spent some $$ on their FE this year, and it shows. Cleaner interface, polished, lots of little touches...very nice. Gameplay is definitely more of the same, with some improvements, especially in faceoffs. You can tie up the opposing center, fake 'em out and get them warned/tossed from the circle, fight for position once the puck is dropped - it's a nice change from other hockey titles. The defense is much more aggressive in their zone 5-on-5 than the EA demo, but that's slider adjustable so I'm not going to ding NHL 08 that much.

Hitting is completely OTT at the default settings. It's funny how 08 gives you hardly any hits, but 2K is The Apocalyptic Return of Scott Stevens, part deux through neuf. When Markus Naslund is taking out Chris Pronger straight up...yeah, those sliders need adjusting as well.

You can switch back to the old style of play, but after playing NHL 08, it feels like a bit of a step back. The issue I have with EA's game is that you have to relearn the controls that have been ingrained since the Genesis days...but once you do, there's a whole slew of control at your fingertips that isn't represented in the 2K title. But if you're comfortable with using the face buttons for shooting and passing, 2K is still your title.

Looks? They both look great, EA's game looks a little better but 2K feels a little less scrambly...it really does boil down to preference. NHL 08 is a definite step up from NHL 07 (at least from the demo), while 2K8 feels like 2K7, amped slightly.

Once NHL 08 comes in, I'll pick that up and give a proper comparison. For now, this'll have to do.

Is there a tangible difference between the goalies in 2k8 and those in 2k7? The devs said they worked on this quite a bit (butterfly saves, cutting down angles, etc.).

DenogginizerOS

TemplaerDude said:
if edmonton is rated anymore than 75 i will personally punch the raters in the face.
I expect my Devils to be way down compared to last year. Too many off-season losses.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DenogginizerOS said:
I think it would be wise to let people spend more time with 2K8 to get better impressions, but it sounds like 08 is a safe bet this year. I may go with it just because I had 2K7 last year and I might want to try a different game.

The hitting in 2K8 sounds like NHL Hitz. :(

It boggles my mind how 2K can put out a game with the hitting like that on default sliders.

DenogginizerOS

Plinko said:
It boggles my mind how 2K can put out a game with the hitting like that on default sliders.

Which makes me wonder what the game will be like in ranked games online. Most people will want to play the NHL Hitz hockey (most people as in us second-rate American hockey fans who cannot fully appreciate Canada's game). :lol

Tiktaalik

That 4.0 is pretty low but expected after how badly they slammed the game in the podcast. Though I haven't played it, that still seems too low to me. EGM does have a psudo-policy of being hard on sports titles that don't add enough or improve over last year so that's where this could come from, since the consensus at EGM seemed to be that the improvements were a negative if anything.

I doubt the game is actually a 4.0. It's probably about as good as 2k7 was.

Souther

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
if edmonton is rated anymore than 75 i will personally punch the raters in the face.

Flames fan?

Well if we are talking as of the end of last year and not this offseason then i agree. If not then they are alot more improved now.

they are a 84 in NHL08

DenogginizerOS

steve said:
I wanted to buy NHL 08 on PS3, but I just read the framerate suxxors on it. WTF EA get your act together for god sakes!

How's the framerate in 2K8 on PS3, any info would be appreciated.
60FPS

Souther said:
Well if we are talking as of the end of last year and not this offseason then i agree. If not then they are alot more improved now.

they are a 84 in NHL08

they have an aging backup goalie in net and their top scorers are stoll and horcoff.

souray and pitkanen are hardly "a lot" better. in fact, souray is kind of the opposite. and pitkanen is a glorified forward. so yeah, they suck. a lot.

Souther

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
they have an aging backup goalie in net and their top scorers are stoll and horcoff.

souray and pitkanen are hardly "a lot" better.

Lets see...

Out: Sykora, Tjarnqvist, Markkanen(sp) Lupul, Smith,

In: Penner, Souray, Tarnstrom, Garon, Pitkanen, Sanderson

Rolosons fine. even at his age he is still a great goalie. I think hes already proved he can play at a high lvl.

We could use another top line forward definitely. Maybe Sam Gagner wows them and makes the team...

Should be interesting.

hadareud

The Translator
I can't believe I have to wait another week until 08 comes out here in the UK :(

I've been playing the demo about 200 times and I am itching for the full game and the gaf league

Souther

Banned
steve said:
lmao at the people that think Edmonton is vastly improved. :lol

And you like??

we shall see when the season starts. I say that the Oilers are
ahead of your team steve(guessing calgary, could be anaheim though) and Temlaredude's(rangers) come christmas

I just came back with my copy of 08 from EB. They had a wall of them at my store. I'm going to eat something and then play.

When does the season for 360 start up?

Souther said:
Lets see...

Out: Sykora,

your highest scorer

Souther said:
Tjarnqvist,

your highest scoring defenseman

Souther said:

your best defenseman

Souther said:
In: Penner,

over paid, unproven salary suck

Souther said:

pylon

Souther said:
Tarnstrom,

so?

Souther said:

oh boy

Souther said:

a forward with little defensive skill

Souther said:
Sanderson

oh boy

Souther said:
Rolosons fine. even at his age he is still a great goalie. I think hes already proved he can play at a high lvl.

rolosons a backup goalie on 95% of the teams in this league. of course coupled with the fact that your defense has more holes than a sieve, i think you should be scared.

DenogginizerOS

rs7k said:
I'm going to go pick up 08 at my EB right now (Barrie, ON). Turns out they have lots.
EA giving Canada love. Us filthy Americans have to wait until tomorrow. I wonder if Anaheim fans can get theirs today. Maybe they have grown tired of cherishing the Cup.

steve

Banned
I called my local EB (Kelowna, BC) and they won't have either hockey title in until tomorrow. :(

And did someone just say the Oilers are going to finish ahead of the Flames this year? :lol

You've got the blinders on man, I know from personal experience watching my Flames miss the playoffs for 7 years in a row... the Oilers are not in any position to make a run. Zero. Ziltch.

They lost all their heart and soul with the Smyth and Smith leaving, they'll be hard-pressed to not finish last IMO.

Keltron

For Toronto - I just picked up a copy at Mississauga Heartland EB. looked like they had a bunch more behind the counter. I got it for ps3 though so probably less likely to sellout ;o

So there is a setting called "RBK EDGE Uniform System" You are supposed to enter codes in here. Do we have the codes yet?

Souther

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
your highest scorer

Yes in terms of goals. Points he was tied.

your highest scoring defenseman

Tjarnvist had 15 points. Staois had 17...so your wrong.

your best defenseman

could be argued. Staois is equal too or better

over paid, unproven salary suck

Overpaid according too whom? You? If he does what he did last year and in 3 years he is putting up 30+ goals then hes a steal. To early to say

pylon

Hmm pylon that was able to score 60+ points and had 19 PP goals. Oook.

so?

So what? Hes still a capable defenseman.

oh boy

The dude played 32 games last year with LA and still had a SV% over .900(907) and a 2.66 GGA. in 32 games.

a forward with little defensive skill

This is a joke right?

oh boy

Could very well be. But then again Philadelphia sucked pretty bad last year all around. New location could be good.

rolosons a backup goalie on 95% of the teams in this league. of course coupled with the fact that your defense has more holes than a sieve, i think you should be scared.

Wrong. If anything the oilers playoff drive 2 years ago showed everybody that rolosons more than a capable goalie and is worthwhile starter.

Like i said. We shall see where who is at the halfway point.

Souther

Banned
steve said:
I called my local EB (Kelowna, BC) and they won't have either hockey title in until tomorrow. :(

And did someone just say the Oilers are going to finish ahead of the Flames this year? :lol

You've got the blinders on man, I know from personal experience watching my Flames miss the playoffs for 7 years in a row... the Oilers are not in any position to make a run. Zero. Ziltch.

They lost all their heart and soul with the Smyth and Smith leaving, they'll be hard-pressed to not finish last IMO.

Care to put a wager on that?

If i am a wrong and the flames are ahead of the Oilers at the 41game mark then i will take a 2 week ban from neogaf. If your wrong then you do the same.

Agreed?

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
2K8 does have an "unlock 2007-2008 uniforms" option as well. Definitely a gang of new goalie animations. Control scheme has been completely overhauled and I'm liking it so far as I just ran through the tutorials (gotta learn the new controls somehow).

steve

Banned
Souther said:
Care to put a wager on that?

If i am a wrong and the flames are ahead of the Oilers at the 41game mark then i will take a 2 week ban from neogaf.

Agreed?
That really wouldn't be fair bud, because I don't come here all that often.

But seriously though, I used to live in edmonton, I dig the Oil, I want them to do well. Just not at the expense of the Flames. ;)

Souther

Banned
steve said:
That really wouldn't be fair bud, because I don't come here all that often.

But seriously though, I used to live in edmonton, I dig the Oil, I want them to do well. Just not at the expense of the Flames. ;)

I see.

I guess its the eternal rivalry of the Oilers and Flames.

Its too bad we couldn't have played each other in the 2005-2006 playoffs. would have been interesting

steve

Banned
That would have rocked, you know I was cheering for it to happen.

We haven't had a Battle of Alberta in so many years, I'd wager most fans under 30 don't even know why those meetings were so damned epic.

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
:lol

I keep imagining you rushing to the door, grabbing your coat and hat, turning the knob, then running back to your computer for one more hit of F5. Then you see the 4.0, slump sadly in your chair, throw your hat to the ground, and look at the clock.

Then someone buys 2K8 and posts good impressions, and you run for the door again. Rinse, repeat.

thats exactly what happened pretty much... pressing work deadlines imposed on my today also forced me to delay... I won't get it tonight, but can't rule out I'll have it later on when i hear gaffers give good impressions on it...
I got mainly turned off when I read some impressions about the constant hitting and lack of penalties however...

Top Bottom