• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 Hockey Videogame Thread (NHL 08 & NHL 2K8 out Sept. 11)

Souther

Banned
steve said:
That would have rocked, you know I was cheering for it to happen.

We haven't had a Battle of Alberta in so many years, I'd wager most fans under 30 don't even know why those meetings were so damned epic.

Agreed.

People can talk about the Leafs and Sens, Habs and bruins, Rangers/Islander/Jersey.

But the best 1 is still the Flames and Oilers. When those two teams get together you know something crazy is going to happen.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
While normally I encourage the spread of Greasers hate, take it to the NHL thread in OT for now, please.

The goalies in 2K8 are good for the most part - smart positioning, cutting down the angles and whatnot. I was using Luongo and going up against Giguere, so scoring was at a premium. One thing I did notice was that on a breakaway with Markus Naslund, Giguere didn't challenge the shooter much, sitting back in his crease - but when I got a breakaway with Matt Cooke, Jiggy jumped out past the blue ice. Even in digital format, Cookie's shooting skills get no respect :lol :|

steve

Banned
What made them so memorable was the fact that they were the 2 best teams in the league for such a long period of time in the 80's. They were 2 offensive juggernauts going at one another with ferocity and finesse.

God I miss those days...

Kingpen

bishoptl said:
While normally I encourage the spread of Greasers hate, take it to the NHL thread in OT for now, please.

The goalies in 2K8 are good for the most part - smart positioning, cutting down the angles and whatnot. I was using Luongo and going up against Giguere, so scoring was at a premium. One thing I did notice was that on a breakaway with Markus Naslund, Giguere didn't challenge the shooter much, sitting back in his crease - but when I got a breakaway with Matt Cooke, Jiggy jumped out past the blue ice. Even in digital format, Cookie's shooting skills get no respect :lol :|

Bish, how are you playing, with their new imposed controls, or did you revert back to classic 2k controls? Is there a drop pass button (I heard it was taken out). Can you compare the atmosphere from last year to this year? Be sure to let us know how hard it is to play both games this year with their control differences (going from one to the other)....Thanks

Did they tone down the one timers? could you post shot counts and hit counts in any games you play? Thanks

bishoptl said:

Thanks. This is good to hear. I know the devs talked about goalie improvements, but it seems like they mention this every year (probably with the best of intentions) without actually meeting their stated goals.

I've been waiting years for them to improve nagging issues like the tendency for goalies to dive headfirst across the crease when a simple butterfly would have sufficed, and the fact that netminders tend to overreact to pucks, allowing shots to go under a snapping glove hand rather than below it.

Souther

Banned
bishoptl said:
Good impressions along with some oiler hate..heh|

Hmm sounds good. Man if only Gary Thorne and Bill clemente would come back to do the commentating in the 2K series....

Is the puck still magnetized to the stick? That kind of always bothered me. And does it say anywhere about the jserey codes? When and how you will get them

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I played one period with the new controls, the other two with the old controls. Keep in mind that I've played 2K8 at different promotional events this year with the new controls.

EA really took a stride forward with NHL 08. Whether or not that's due to NHL 07 being unmitigated dross is an argument for another day, but this year they got it right and it feels like a big step forward for hockey games in general re: control.

2K8 plays great with the old controls, but it's more of the same, just refined. There is nothing wrong with that at all. It's just not the same forward leap that EA provided, and therein lies the lesser appeal at the end of the day.

You can't really go wrong with either, but EA's game - for the first time in years - deserves your gaming dollar. There you have it. Oh yeah, there's no goddamn Harry Neale or Bob Cole pissing in my eardrums in the EA game, I wish 2K would drop them. Like, yesterday. Ugh. :|

Guys, I need a quick reply (and I don't have time to read thru all the posts) I'm going out and at the same time I'll be picking up either NHL08 or NHL2k8... I can't find reviews of 2k8 so which is better? I'd rather avoid getting EA's game because of the framerate, but if it's better overall I'll get it.

So?

Edit: It'll be for PS3

snorggy

nowhere in south edmonton has nhl 08 yet... most likely tomorrow *sigh*

the new faceoff system for 2k8 sounds pretty cool though... it's cool that the 2k series is paying attention to seemingly little things like faceoffs and giving it a little more depth.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Seriously. It's not as bad as the Toyota stuff in NBA 2K but still...there's even a coupon for Duracell batteries inside the package :lol

2K's fighting system pwns EA's. When you really get your bell rung with a punch, the screen goes all blurry and it becomes harder to set up your punches. You can break holds, taunt your opponent Capcom-style, fake a big punch, grab with either the left or right arm - they totally went all out. It's great. :D

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
bishoptl said:
Seriously. It's not as bad as the Toyota stuff in NBA 2K but still...there's even a coupon for Duracell batteries inside the package :lol

2K's fighting system pwns EA's. When you really get your bell rung with a punch, the screen goes all blurry and it becomes harder to set up your punches. You can break holds, taunt your opponent Capcom-style, fake a big punch, grab with either the left or right arm - they totally went all out. It's great. :D

They really stick it to you guys up North. No coupon in my US PS3 version. :D (which version did you get...maybe the coupon is 360 exclusive?)

Kingpen

bishoptl said:

Argh.... more hype for one of my favorite parts of hockey games... Can you answer quick questions for me? Is hitting in the game overdone? Does tweaking sliders help it? Also, how about 1-timers and shot counts? Are penalties non-existant?

These main things were what made me think that NHL07 was more sim-playing in nature vs NHL2k7 last year. If those are fixed, then that is good enough for me to warrent purchasing both of them (even if I hate the new 2k controls, I'll revert back to last years just like I did in Smackdown vs. Raw 07)

I downloaded a roster update off the EA servers but it didn't seem to do anything. In fact it put Peca back on the Leafs after I had taken him off. :/

You can enter your email address into the game to receive end-of-game stats for online games. They also say you can receive "alerts" through SMS and email. I don't know what these alerts are. Maybe they are league related?

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Kingpen said:
Argh.... more hype for one of my favorite parts of hockey games... Can you answer quick questions for me? Is hitting in the game overdone? Does tweaking sliders help it? Also, how about 1-timers and shot counts? Are penalties non-existant?

These main things were what made me think that NHL07 was more sim-playing in nature vs NHL2k7 last year. If those are fixed, then that is good enough for me to warrent purchasing both of them (even if I hate the new 2k controls, I'll revert back to last years just like I did in Smackdown vs. Raw 07)

Hitting by default is a little bit high but I always end up tweaking the sliders. The game has about 10 presets for game type/style- Default, Simulation, Arcade, Physical, Turco, Spezza, Thorton, Carle and Keslers. Simulation takes the default 18/100 for hitting down to a 1/100 - haven't tried that or changing the hitting slider yet.

I crushed the other team in shots my first game but forgot to change the diffuculty from Rookie. I'm finishing a game on All Star right now and the shots are 14-18 CPU with 11 minutes left in the third. The CPU seems to get more penalties this year compared to last year and I've gotten a few interference calls hitting people off the puck.

Running my PS3 2K8 at 1080i and the default camera (3/4) the framerate does seem to lose a frame every now and then. It's not a huge slowdown like 2K7 would have at times but it's noticeable but hasn't annoyed me yet. It almost seems like the camera "jerks" a bit. Hard to explain.

The goalies seem to handle one timers much better this year and they just feel a lot better and less arcade like. The players position and motion tend to affect the power and accuracy of the one times as they aren't always full power blasts like last year.

rs7k

I checked out some of the league stuff, and the way it's set up, you need to play one game against every person in the league, so the pre-season rules won't hold.

Fifty

If I buy a game it'll be 08. Bish's impressions have swayed me, I'm tired of the 2K hockey games, and most importantly..no Cole and Neale! Bob Cole especially. I can't listen to the sound of his voice without wanting to hurt myself or someone near me.

I love the sense of accomplishment this game gives you on defense this year. I was playing on Pro and handling myself pretty well. I bumped it up to All-Star and it was like giving the AI a huge injection of steroids. You CANNOT break position in your own zone or the AI is going to own you on All-Star and up. In the first game I played as Team Canada vs. Team Sweden I was outshot 16-3. WTF? I've played on All-Star before... but never like this. The defensive battle has been raised to a whole new level and you have to pick your chances to break up pass plays and when to make a move on an offensive player.

It really is an intense experience and I have to give props to the NHL 08 team for their job this year. This may be the best game off hockey I have ever played.

I am lowering shot and pass accuracy though asI find my shot counts have been a little too high. I also have upped shot blocking and poke checking ability to see how those affect game stats. I don't really want to make it harder to score because it is already difficult but my only gripe so far is that shots have been a bit to high on 5 min periods.

rs7k

The online games are even more exciting this year. It's really hard to get a breakaway, and you actually have to plan out strategies in your head to score.

So far, I'm 1-1, both games were 1-0. I got an achievement for my shutout.

Phthisis

Damn Canadians...I've checked every store that sells video games in my area, and they all have the same answer: NHL 08 tomorrow.

>:|

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Phthisis said:
Damn Canadians...I've checked every store that sells video games in my area, and they all have the same answer: NHL 08 tomorrow.

>:|
same, it hurts where my heart should be

Kingpen

I know i'm not going to be leaving the store tomorrow with only one hockey game unless they are soldout which in New Mexico shouldn't be a problem.

I'm so jealous of you guys right now.

Having a 'NOT' working from home day tomorrow and off until Monday FTMFW!

rs7k

I just finished a tight game with Sandman42. 5-4, I lost. Sundin scores with 20 seconds left :(

I noticed some plkayers have different moves. Kovalev for instance, will keep the puck away with only one hand on his stick if he skates at the right angle. That's fucking sweet!

Sandman42

Wow this game is awesome. I had a terrific online game with rs7k.

The face graphics are seriously the best i've seen in a game. Everyone is nearly 100% accurate.

Sandman42

rs7k said:
I just finished a tight game with Sandman42. 5-4, I lost. Sundin scores with 20 seconds left :(

I noticed some plkayers have different moves. Kovalev for instance, will keep the puck away with only one hand on his stick if he skates at the right angle. That's fucking sweet!
That game was crazy. You had a 2 goal lead in the first. Then I had a two goal lead in the second. The last sundin goal was crazy, he did a spinorama backhand through Huet's legs.

steve

Banned
I had 2K8 in my hands this afternoon and couldn't bring myself to buy it knowing I still want 08 depsite the framrate issues I've read about. I just can't get over how much I want to play in Goalie mode, I'll play all the time in that damn mode, it looks so fun.

I just played a game with my adjusted all-star sliders.

Canada vs. Germany
5min periods
Score: 0-0
Shots: 6-10
Faceoffs: 5-4
Time on Attack: 10:57-11:05

Game played great even though there was no score.

I like the game but I am noticing the teamate AI sort of sucks. They just stand there at times and i have noticed a TON of puck warping .

Firestorm

Canadians who don't read the Deals topic:

NHL 2K8 is scanning in at $19.98 at Superstore, Loblaws, Zehrs, etc. (that entire line of stores, check Wikipedia for all the names they go by). PS3 price is $59.99 so don't bother.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489329

NHL 08 for 360 is supposedly $29.98 for all consoles according to some sales reps... but it should only be for PS2 I think. Depends on how it goes. You can try scanning it and saying you don't want it once you get the price. Not sure if it's even out yet.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489434

DeadCell

Anyone else having problems getting NHL 08 online? My buddy is fine, infact he's playing a game online as we speak. I, on the other hand can't even log on to EA's servers.

What gives?

DeadCell said:
Anyone else having problems getting NHL 08 online? My buddy is fine, infact he's playing a game online as we speak. I, on the other hand can't even log on to EA's servers.

What gives?

I had that. Turned the game off and back on and it worked.

Gameplay settings aren't being loaded for "Play Now" when I up it to All Star. I just checked to see if my new sliders were being used and they weren't. I guess I'll have to stick to world tournament to test out my sliders before I start a season.

Too bad.

purg3

slept with Malkin
OK, that 1up review was absolute garbage.Bryan spends more than half of the article bashing controls that you are not forced to use...There are combination control schemes along with the Advanced, Classic, and Intermediate schemes from 2k7. I'm not quite sure how that could equate to the score it received. Yes, the hitting is a bit much at it's current state, but there are improvements in graphics, the game runs perfectly smooth, great franchise mode, proven online leagues and matches, and improved goalie A.I.

It's pretty obvious after reading the review that they spent little time with the game , and it's disappointing that this review will probably make people not buy it-when it's a very competent and well playing hockey game.

And the unlock code for the new jerseys for 2K8 will be made available on the 15th of this month--for anyone that cares.

purgeface said:
OK, that 1up review was absolute garbage.Bryan spends more than half of the article bashing controls that you are not forced to use...There are combination control schemes along with the Advanced, Classic, and Intermediate schemes from 2k7. I'm not quite sure how that could equate to the score it received. Yes, the hitting is a bit much at it's current state, but there are improvements in graphics, the game runs perfectly smooth, great franchise mode, proven online leagues and matches, and improved goalie A.I.

It's pretty obvious after reading the review that they obviously spent little time with the game , and it's disappointing that this review will probably make people not buy it-when it's a very competent and well playing hockey game.

And the unlock code for the new jerseys for 2K8 will be made available on the 15th of this month--for anyone that cares.

Hopefully 08's unlock code will be the same day.

Captain N

purgeface said:

It's pretty obvious after reading the review that they spent little time with the game , and it's disappointing that this review will probably make people not buy it-when it's a very competent and well playing hockey game.

I've been trying to figure out how to go back to the old controls..how do I do that? I want advanced controls back.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Captain N said:
I've been trying to figure out how to go back to the old controls..how do I do that? I want advanced controls back.

I think it's settings>control scheme/layout

It defaults at Pro Stick, but you can cycle through and find the one you want.

RBH

IGN review of NHL 2K8 (360 version):

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819464p1.html

7.0 Presentation
The tree-diagram interface is lame and doesn't fit the fun, fluid style of the game.
8.5 Graphics
The players fly around (and reflect in) the ice, the replays are detailed and the cuts to the bench look great. Too bad the crowd looks blah.
8.0 Sound
The player sounds, arena rock anthems and general hockey ambience sounds excellent, but the commentary is stiff and the Cinemotion feels phoned in.
8.5 Gameplay
The Pro Stick is going to challenge you -- in the best way -- for every score and lead to a real sense of accomplishment and mastery. The computer can be cheap and seems to get all the breaks.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Contract negotiations, free agency, online leagues, player growth and more ensure that if building a dynasty is your thing, this is well worth the price of admission.

OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

purg3

slept with Malkin
RBH said:
IGN review of NHL 2K8 (360 version):

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/819/819464p1.html

7.0 Presentation
The tree-diagram interface is lame and doesn't fit the fun, fluid style of the game.
8.5 Graphics
The players fly around (and reflect in) the ice, the replays are detailed and the cuts to the bench look great. Too bad the crowd looks blah.
8.0 Sound
The player sounds, arena rock anthems and general hockey ambience sounds excellent, but the commentary is stiff and the Cinemotion feels phoned in.
8.5 Gameplay
The Pro Stick is going to challenge you -- in the best way -- for every score and lead to a real sense of accomplishment and mastery. The computer can be cheap and seems to get all the breaks.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Contract negotiations, free agency, online leagues, player growth and more ensure that if building a dynasty is your thing, this is well worth the price of admission.

OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Definitely agree with this review-1up's credibility lost for any hockey reviews...

purgeface said:

I agree with 1up and their crap ass review man.. most of his nag'n on the controls was horrid simply because its not like your stuck with them. i guartantee that shit ass score they based it off the controls.. but remember 1up, just like egm..swing on ea's nut sack like f'n whores

Foil

NHL 08's goalie controls and camera are awesome. This will be pure chaos online when you get a team of people together and place somebody in net. I had a blast just practicing against the AI, and even more so when I put 5 skaters against just me in net. :lol

That, and the game rocks this year. Best hockey game in quite a few years, from any company. EA had a three year plan for this series like they did with MVP, next year should even better. 2K really needs to step up for 2K9 and do a huge overhaul.

Souther

Banned
So if any of you have the PS3 version of either 2k8 or 08 ....does it give you the option to install onto the HD for faster loading.

Also...a dude said that the framerate only really dips during cutscenes and replays...but pretty much does not affect gameplay at all...can you confirm this?(nhl08)

Top Bottom