• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPJZKC

What is Gafs opinion on Impulse?

I really want to pick up the age of wonders trilogy, and it's €6 cheaper on impulse than on steam...
Should I pay the extra money to just get the steam version? Anything I should know about Impulse? (bloatware etc)

Steam ID is Kitrich, throw me a friend request too! :D
Free game, woo, much appreciated!

Im_Special said:
Hey guys, could I get some opinions/ratings/reviews for any of these, thinking of picking up a few last minute things, any opinions are appreciated.

Indie Mix Pack - Only interested in this pack for Defcon which seems pretty cool, but have no clue how it plays lol.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - If there was something I would cut from this list to save money it would be this, any opinions on Anniversary to make me want it more? Did they hit the nail with this remake? I did play the PSone original way back when, but never became a fan of the Tome Raider series.

Delve Deeper - I love Adventure, Strategy, RPG's, and Indie games, so is this good? Anything its similar too for comparison sake?

Knights of Honor - Looks cool, like Indie, and trying to get into the genre more.

Get the mix pack!
You may be getting it for DEFCON, but you'll love it for Eufloria.

MNC

I guess it's not much but free PB Winterbottom for the 2 persons who quotes this post with their steamID and the name of the person my avatar is supposed to resemble!

Tideas

Banned
MNC said:
I guess it's not much but free PB Winterbottom for the 2 persons who quotes this post with their steamID and the name of the person my avatar is supposed to resemble!

Tideas

mayamoto!

Salsa

MNC said:

lady gaga!

edit: oh darn it

i have winterbottom :p

szaromir

Banned
Im_Special said:
Hey guys, could I get some opinions/ratings/reviews for any of these, thinking of picking up a few last minute things, any opinions are appreciated.

Indie Mix Pack - Only interested in this pack for Defcon which seems pretty cool, but have no clue how it plays lol.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - If there was something I would cut from this list to save money it would be this, any opinions on Anniversary to make me want it more? Did they hit the nail with this remake? I did play the PSone original way back when, but never became a fan of the Tome Raider series.

Delve Deeper - I love Adventure, Strategy, RPG's, and Indie games, so is this good? Anything its similar too for comparison sake?

Knights of Honor - Looks cool, like Indie, and trying to get into the genre more.
TRA is an absolutely fantastic game, however I'd recomment playing it off GameTap.

KPJZKC said:
What is Gafs opinion on Impulse?

I really want to pick up the age of wonders trilogy, and it's €6 cheaper on impulse than on steam...
Should I pay the extra money to just get the steam version? Anything I should know about Impulse? (bloatware etc)

Steam ID is Kitrich, throw me a friend request too! :D
Free game, woo, much appreciated!

I like Impulse. You can just link it to Steam anyways. It's not too bloaty and everything plays fine. Go for it!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
don't know if this is a the place for it. So really sorry in advance.

I can't believe I'm running both of these on 1680* resolution on my crappy 512mb GPU. I am also on a 3.0 ghz dual core.

I am not that hardware shrewd, so this pretty much mind blowing to me. Can someone explain it to me? Because I feel like I shouldn't be able to run the games.

And will I be able to run arkham asylum? Since I want to play it, but aren't really sure as to whether I'll be able to pull it off.

TzHvF.jpg

2eyuoo3.png

Do you guys think GTA IV will have issues on my setup? I don't really know a lot about the shit I have.

GTS 250 1gb
4GB ram
quad core 2.4ghz

already beat GTA IV on PS3, but I've never played the expansions.

KPJZKC

Whoops, would appear that my profile name is KPJZKC?

When did that happen....

And gifts! Merry Late Christmas/Happy Late New Year Steel :D

Im_Special said:

The packs tend to be great deals, get them.

Delve Deeper looks lame to me, but it you get it, get it in the Kids Indie pack that contains it. Toki Tori, Crayon Physics, and Max & the Magic Marker are all enjoyable games.

I think all the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raiders are great.

epmode

Volcynika said:
Yeah, for future reference, EA requires their own stuff for their games. Kinda sucks, but that's how they want to do it.
It's bad for *everyone* except EA so I guess it works out!

Salsa

Veidt said:

I can't believe I'm running both of these on 1680* resolution on my crappy 512mb GPU. I am also on a 3.0 ghz dual core.

I am not that hardware shrewd, so this pretty much mind blowing to me. Can someone explain it to me? Because I feel like I shouldn't be able to run the games.

And will I be able to run arkham asylum? Since I want to play it, but aren't really sure as to whether I'll be able to pull it off.

http://i.imgur.com/TzHvF.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2eyuoo3.png[/ IMG][/QUOTE]

welcome to Source

Veidt

MNC said:
That's on a MBP? Goddamnit. That looks pretty great.
Can't believe it either
AceBandage said:
Valve's games are extremely well programmed and efficient at maximizing hardware.
This explains somethings indeed. Bioshock looks great too. Most of the games run pretty well. This makes me think how much of a great developer Valve is to make this happen. I don't really know why other devs don't strive for the same quality. It'd definitely sell more. It just feels like that's the sort of thing that is keeping people away from PC gaming, as many ( I among them) aren't really sure as to whether they'll be able to run a certain game or not.

Valve are gods, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying their shit religiously from now on.

For reference;

Mass Effect 2:

xojma0.png

Had to put it down to 720p to smooth up.

ksan

Veidt said:

http://i.imgur.com/TzHvF.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/2eyuoo3.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
What GPU?
I ran Batman in 720p on my laptop (P8400 and Geforce 9600M GT) on medium (iirc) with good fps.
But 512MB GPU doesn't say very much, neither does 3GHZ dual core so I can't really tell you, but I'd guess you'd be able to run it.

Veidt

512MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 210 PCI EXPRESS
Intel® Pentium® DualCore E5700 (3.0GHz) 800MHz FSB/2MB Cache
2GB ram.

Veidt said:

Source Engine... many graphical improvements but basically the same engine that ran Half Life 2 way back in 2004. It does look great but has some pretty serious limitations, the levels can't really be that big, and require extensive loading. But yes it does hold up well.

Final Damage:

Mass Effect 2
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Trials 2: Second Edition
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Just Cause 2

Already picked up Amnesia just a few weeks ago @ 50% off. Still debating about Mafia 2. Like part 1 a lot when it came out.

KPJZKC

MotorbreathX said:
Really? Don't remember that happening. I've got Dawn of Discovery and Sins and got them immediately.

Perhaps because I used paypal - I just couldn't be arsed typing in my CC details...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom