• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:
How's Sniper Elite?
I thought it was decent but I but haven't finished it. I'd say yes for $1.49 unless you hate WWII or unless the end of the game is really that terrible for reasons I don't know about.

Finished buying my non-daily games. Well, let's just tally up the damage, here....Oh my...$228. I went a little crazy this year...but there were a lot of things I had been wanting on sale at the right price. Also, there were a lot of games I've been wanting to get on Steam because I hate fooling with the discs and patching.

Every day, that $10-$20 didn't seem too bad. But it adds up. At least there will be few things to tempt me on the next sale as I finally broke down and got most of them this time. I guess I can consider part of this my Christmas present since I did not get anything this year. Didn't need any new consoles or hardware, for a change. Wife asked and I told her not to get anything. But I won't tell her about this, no sir!

Here's a question for you guys. I've got quite a few PC games that I bought on Steam that I also have boxed copies for. I don't want to keep them, and a quick search on ebay tells me that they are (unsurprisingly) worth nothing there. I usually donate them to a yearly charity yard sale and they will sell for $2-$3 each. Any other suggestions? What do you guys do with double-dips for Steam convenience?

Chris R

Dead Space would be such a no brainer for me except for the fact that I have it on 360 right now and the PC version doesn't pack the steam-chevos :( Now it is more like a 50/50

Artofwar420

Metalic Sand said:
It was like $8 for a day. Paying more than 3x as much! Don't do it.

Kings bounty is on sale very frequently as well.

Thanks, I'm still kicking myself for not getting it that day. Will wait.

coopolon

Resident Evil 5 10.2
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box 5
Bioshock 2 7.5
PB Winterbottom 0.5
FEAR: Ultimate Shooter Edition 2.5
Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands 5
Prince of Persia 5
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 2.5
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within 2.5
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones 2.5
Puzzle Quest 1.5
Bully: Scholarship Edition 3.75
Darksiders 10
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 2
"Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon" 2
"Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Desert Siege" 2
"Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Island Thunder" 2
King Arthur 5.39
FlatOut 0.75
FlatOut 2 1
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage 2
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 3.33
Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood 3.33
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway 3.33
Supreme Commander 2 3.74
Stalker: Call of Pripyat 5
Star Wars: Dark Forces 1
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 1
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith 1
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast 1
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy 1
Zeno Clash 3.75
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers Expansion Pack 3 2.5

Total comes out to $87.58. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out this year, 34 new games or DLCs. Should keep me happy enough for at least a year so I won't feel compelled to buy any new expensive games. My backlog is now over 100 games though...I was keeping it around 50 before this Holiday season.

My only regret is not picking up Super Meat Boy. I actually passed on it twice, silly me. Definitely next sale.

Is the Steam version of NWN 2 different from the disc version compatibility wise? I can get the disc version to run but after a certain point (when you pick up the dwarf at the tavern early on) I have issues with textures that will not load.

Artofwar420 said:
Thanks, I'm still kicking myself for not getting it that day. Will wait.

Don't worry, it'll be back at the price by the end of the summer sale, probably sooner if you keep your eyes peeled. You should put it in your wish list, that way the store will give you a heads up when it goes on sale. Isn't that nice of them? ;)

Looks like GTA4 is the last game I'll buy. This was easily the most expensive Steam sale I've ever participated in. I haven't tallied up my receipts but it's probably between $150-200. Now I'm all set for 2011's games.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Fair enough. Now I'm kind of on the fence with VVVVV.
Getit! Getitgetitgetit! Get it! *Gets hit by mysterious flying rock*

Or buy the Indie 2D Pack for $4.99, where VVVVVV is packaged with Geometry Wars, Galcon Fusion, Super Laser Racer, and Bullet Candy.

AshMcCool

Sorry to misuse the topic a little bit(I got the game yesterday on sale), but WTF at Hitmans Save-System? What sense does it make? I had other things to do, and was almost finished with the second mission, and now my savegame is just gone? I don't get how saving in misson and continue later would contradict with the games concept?

Civ IV is in the cart. To round out my last sale purchase, has anyone tried Grotesque Tactic Evil Heroes? By all accounts it looks like a poor man's Disgaea and I actually have Disgaea 2 lying around somewhere. Worth it?

Salsa

Alright went into offline mode and sent a support ticket, hope i get an answer soon, this is really freaking me out :(

JDS 1977

Banned
BomberMouse said:
I'm on the fence about The Sherlock Holmes Collection, are they any good?

The awakened is one that's pretty well reviewed from what I see. I already own it on D2D though back when I got it free with hitpoints or something like that. It's part of my adventure game backlog.

graywolf323

BomberMouse said:
I'm on the fence about The Sherlock Holmes Collection, are they any good?

I got it for $30 more last year during the holiday sale and thought I was getting a good deal :lol

I'd say for the price this year it's a good deal if your a fan of Sherlock Holmes or adventure games (great deal if your a fan of both)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
azentium said:
I just gifted you Magnetis. Your account is fine.
Good to know, but Steam is acting weird regardless.
I tried to buy the Jedi Knight Collection from my cellphone the other day, and got rejected with strange errors constantly, so having access to WiFi today, I tried using it instead of 3G and had no issues whatsoever. Sent a support ticket regarding this (and because I missed the sale D: ), and the answer I got was that I used a non local IP and thus my account got locked, and that they now unlocked it.

But the IP was local, and my account was never locked (I bought some games and gifts thoughout the day).

Strange stuff...

graywolf323 said:
I got it for $30 more last year during the holiday sale and thought I was getting a good deal :lol

I'd say for the price this year it's a good deal if your a fan of Sherlock Holmes or adventure games (great deal if your a fan of both)

Thanks, I'll get it. I used to love adventure games but haven't played a good one in a while, thanks to these sales now I have a huge backlog of them :lol

More quote-o-rama. Sorry if you got bored...

Toma said:
Yes!
Already put 12 hours into it. Really good system if you like some number puzzling. Perfect to fill short gaps.

And insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane amount of puzzles. Seriously NO one is ever going to do them all.
Yeah 20,000 puzzles or so. There are reachable goals though, like getting all the achievements and playing through the 5 worlds. I've spent 40 minutes on the demo so far...how far into the ocean will it end :lol

Toma said:
Cogs, Tidalis, Osmos, Quantz, Puzzle Dimension, Chime, Droplitz..
Gah, the only one I either don't own or isn't in a pack I'm buying...I have way more than enough games to get on with so I guess it'll have to wait *downloads demo anyway* One thing about demos, I've noticed Everyday Genius and Square Logic both added full version to the library (as pre-load complete) but Yosumin didn't...glitch or just different demo structures?

dani_dc said:
No opinions on this one?
-indie future pack(hacker evolution, hammerfight, system protocol one, twin sector, uplink)

-indie brain pack(big brain wolf, diamond dan, puzzle pots, zen bound 2)
Stumpokapow posted impressions of sorts in the depths of this thread. Not quite all of the games in the packs but gives you some idea.

Drkirby said:
I'll do it so you can share in my pain of Magnetis.
Ah yes Magnetis. I hated how the board looped and how much of it was on display. I got disorientated by it. It really needed a 3D impression like Pokemon Puzzle League has in its 3D mode. To make matters worse I bought on WiiWare for way more, at least the music was nice...
I will not double dip...must not double dip...

Dante

I only have like 2 steam buddies, but I plan on playing more and more now that there's Mac support, would love to add some more friends.

My id is:

jenovah3d

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lets make sure it wasn't my Credit Card Company thinks Valve is trying to steel all my money, since the error I got with Salsa was a credit card declined one.

MAFIA 2

not sure if i'm more blown away at the fact that it runs GREAT on my 13" mbp or that it LOOKS so good at low settings. i kept waiting for the game to start chugging and it still hasn't!

i gotta fraps this shit. being a sucker for gangster stories this game is rught up my alley and it already feels more like an excellent adventure game with great characters and a great setting than i thought it would. i don't need this game to be an open-world title and that's probably why i'll love it so much

can't wait to max it out on my pc once i get home ;D

Im_Special

Hey guys, could I get some opinions/ratings/reviews for any of these, thinking of picking up a few last minute things, any opinions are appreciated.

Indie Mix Pack - Only interested in this pack for Defcon which seems pretty cool, but have no clue how it plays lol.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - If there was something I would cut from this list to save money it would be this, any opinions on Anniversary to make me want it more? Did they hit the nail with this remake? I did play the PSone original way back when, but never became a fan of the Tome Raider series.

Delve Deeper - I love Adventure, Strategy, RPG's, and Indie games, so is this good? Anything its similar too for comparison sake?

Knights of Honor - Looks cool, like Indie, and trying to get into the genre more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom