• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dynedom said:
Man, Suzaku really was one of the worst characters ever in anime. I can't recall any redeeming factor to that idiot at all (from a story/sympathy perspective and a conception/design perspective). Like, did anyone actually cheer him? I can't think of many other anime that failed on such a spectacular level to make a likable character out of a "tough situation".

I hope not because that dude was the worst character in that series (and that fucking says something).

Jex

Krev said:
Says it all, really.
Penguindrum and Madoka are weird things, made for anyone who will enjoy them. We are lucky that they're out there.
Believing that everything should be targeted to a very specific, easily identifiable demographic is the kind of thinking that's choking Hollywood.
While I agree, to an extent, they are making money!
Krev said:
There's more than enough very specifically targeted anime-as-product going around right now.
That said, more anime that appeals to a wide, general audience would be a good thing.
It should be a larger focus, frankly, but I don't see it happening any-time soon.

Steroyd

HxH - 42

Hitokage said:
Many shows depend on the strength of their antagonist and Hunter x Hunter has an incredible antagonist.

No kidding, I'm more or less cheering for him whenever he shows up.

Mini Ika Musume na Hibi

my fav piece of music of the Squid Girl OST

http://youtu.be/NfdP1y-BJSg

soo hnnng (although the sound quality is bad)

vbA2v.jpg

Jex

Articalys said:
Horizon 3

This is the kind of show where you need to constantly keep referring to a character chart or something just to keep track of the basics.
Or it's the kind of show that you need to stop watching, which the show is actually trying to communicate to you through all that confusion.

scy

Jexhius said:
Or it's the kind of show that you need to stop watching, which the show is actually trying to communicate to you through all that confusion.

Eh, I'm legitimately fine with the show. Though, part of me thinks its just out of a sense of duty after thinking about it so much.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
Oh man, hate the transparent hair thing. That only eyes can be seen through the hair as opposed to ears or the sides of their faces makes it seem like the eyes are layered on top of their hair.

Eyes...on top of hair...it isn't right. It's unnatural!
Don't knock it till you try it babe.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
icarus-daedelus said:
Oh man, hate the transparent hair thing. That only eyes can be seen through the hair as opposed to ears or the sides of their faces makes it seem like the eyes are layered on top of their hair.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:

See, Icarus knows what I'm talking about.
scy said:
Eh, I'm legitimately fine with the show. Though, part of me thinks its just out of a sense of duty after thinking about it so much.
So you're saying you have Stockholm syndrome?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
P4 - ep 1

I think I'm done with this series. This episode just made me angry more than anything else. Technically, the anime looks low-budget, with questionable art and animation, but much more annoying is the direction.

The story, music and characters are all true to the original, but instead of ADAPTING them to the anime format, it feels like a direct copypasta from game to anime, with absolutely no consideration for whether any of it actually works in anime form. It's an action sequence? Throw in the fight music, even though it doesn't fit the situation! It's the opening? Throw in AWESOME UPBEAT INTRO MUSIC to accompany a long video of the main character silently riding a train into town!

The episode follows the events of the game closely on paper, but the execution is nonexistent. The story development is needlessly boring. The jokes (which are basically identical to the ones in the game) are poorly executed, not funny, and undercut the plot development due to timing. Everything just feels thrown in there "just because that was how the game was" with no consideration for what made them great in the game.

The references are another thing that bugged me. They're ridiculously overdone. It's neat to slip in reference the game every now and then, but it happens so often in this series and are so awkward that it just comes across as tacky. I hated them for the same reasons I hated T4's throwback lines to the previous movies and the Star Wars prequels' attempts at referencing the originals. Inserting references to a previous work can be charming, but referencing something great does not automatically make your own work great. If you don't do it right, it just comes across as forced and cheesy.

This is my problem with the Angel Beats director. I just don't know what he's doing with things. He constantly undercuts his own attempts at humor, character development, and dramatic tension, and the result is something that is confusing at best and absolute garbage at worst.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dresden said:
Her hair is clearly translucent, it's a common trait in Russian girls.
Hair so fair it's almost white transparent.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:

Anime eyes operate according to a different kind of physics. Like how they disappear if you are suppressing a deep trauma.

gunbo13

Ah it is fucking jump release time. All of a sudden anime is a towering giant over manga.

My mission is to at least watch Boxed Lunch v2 and Iku 4 tonight. Oh and Chihayafuru needs attention. I need to get up to date so I can be a cool kid.

Jexhius said:
Man, the first two seasons of that show are really excellent. It's a shame the quality is all over the place in the third part.
So I understand. Hopefully Hotarubi at least will provide a top-notch Natsume style experience from this year.

Jex

Chihayafuru 3

They really covered a lot of ground in this episode, perhaps, too much. I think some of the editing feels like it skipped over stuff that I actually needed to see, like how a character got from a to b.

Most of the time, however, this was a great episode. Great story progress and character interactions all presented via excellent, engaging direction (one transition, in particular, was awesome).

I really don't know what they're going to do outside of this
flashback time period
which has been the main focus of the show, but I'm worried that it just won't be as interesting.

cajunator

Banned
Articalys said:
The majority of voters agree with Branduil's opinion of Angel Beats.

B Final
1st 377 Erica Hartmann @ Strike Witches
2nd 323 Kanade Tachibana @ Angel Beats!

VZ5go.png

All kinds of crazy shit going on in the group finals. At this rate I'd say there's even a good chance of one or two of the Puella Magi getting taken out.

Also I just realized that the very existence of this contest probably just adds fuel to the fire of that CyberConnect 2 guy's argument, but whatever.
I would pick Elsie here, given a choice. However we all know what the result will be.
It's ok Elsie, we still love you.

Articalys

Jexhius said:
Chihayafuru 3

(one transition, in particular, was awesome).
I'm guessing you mean
when Arata and Taichi were arguing and Chihaya's hand literally rips apart the scene as she was tearing down the poems off her wall
, because that was pretty damn cool.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
I'm guessing you mean
when Arata and Taichi were arguing and Chihaya's hand literally rips apart the scene as she was tearing down the poems off her wall
, because that was pretty damn cool.
That was a pretty nice edit, yeah.

cajunator said:
I would pick Elsie here, given a choice. However we all know what the result will be.
It's ok Elsie, we still love you.
I don't think I've seen a single person here pick Madoka over Elsie. You guys are hopeless.

Cwarrior

Articalys said:
The majority of voters agree with Branduil's opinion of Angel Beats.

B Final
1st 377 Erica Hartmann @ Strike Witches
2nd 323 Kanade Tachibana @ Angel Beats!

VZ5go.png

All kinds of crazy shit going on in the group finals. At this rate I'd say there's even a good chance of one or two of the Puella Magi getting taken out.

Also I just realized that the very existence of this contest probably just adds fuel to the fire of that CyberConnect 2 guy's argument, but whatever.

Godoka?
am geussing she shows something god like hax in the show

Puzzle Geass 3

This progression is seriously similar to Spiral but on a larger scale.

The Givers all seem to be assholes. Kaidou is taking it pretty well considering he can die at any moment with these psychos making him do puzzle after puzzle with exponentially increasing stakes.

Ezalc

King of Poem Games 3
Not even Batman shirt can make karuta fun, damn. I hope they move into the three of them grown now I'm tired of all the card games.

Smug McDouche and the Masters of the Universe 3
I still have no idea what's going on but I want more GentlemanJelly and the smiling naked guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom