• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
moe moe kyun uguu kawaii desu nee and might I add GAO~

I dunno. It's like my favorite movie and the first Malick film I watched, and the Criterion blu is AMAZING - previously there was only a shitty Fox dvd available in R1 so this was a huge deal for me - so I suppose you could do worse. I think Badlands is his most "accessible" because it has the least-developed style & approach of all of them, but that's the only one not on blu-ray, lol. Tree of Life is definitely not more accessible, haha.

You seem like a videophile, though, so at the very least you'll end up with some gorgeous photography to look at. I'm curious for what your obscure reasons for watching Days of Heaven are now. :3
I don't want to watch Days of Heaven because it's set in Texas. I don't know if it was actually filmed in Texas but it looks like the Texas I know/live in/hate. Dead grass and all that other shit, bleh. Do not want. Even though the movie is supposed to be (and probably is) shot and composed beautifully, there is just no way to make any place that looks like this poohole nice to me. Yes, this is an actual thing for me. I really don't like this place! The only thing set in Texas I can bear to watch is King of the Hill.

Also the Criterion Blu-ray for Days of Heaven is
taken from a crusty DVD transfer done in HD like their Harakiri. Not as crusty as Harakiri, but still visibly crusty. Lots of prominent haloing.
On the other hand, TTRL is a brand new 4K transfer! That gives TTRL another edge!

--
anime sugoi NOT OFF TOPIC AT ALL evangelion

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Not sure I'd agree with that. It's probably his most flawed imo so that colors my views of it somewhat.
Haha. It's flaws are what make it accessible!

Oh I was thinking you had a problem with Richard Gere or something like that. Admittedly, I would probably rather kill myself than watch a movie set in Arizona. And don't tell Lafiel this, you'll break his precious heart.
He won't watch FNL, so Lafiel already knows.

Master Milk said:
PenDrum 14

Aside from Sho being an idiot, this was awesome.

We got Yuri, we got bondage, we got mystery bodies! I'm lovin this!

Well his reaction made sense. But the episode was so poorly directed that it felt like it came out of nowhere.

Obsessed said:
Well his reaction made sense. But the episode was so poorly directed that it felt like it came out of nowhere.
Yea, I guess that's the proper reaction for an idiot, so it definitely fits his character. And yea, the episode could have done with that scene replaced with more Yuri.

Master Milk said:
Yea, I guess that's the proper reaction for an idiot, so it definitely fits his character. And yea, the episode could have done with that scene replaced with more Yuri.

I think the scene was needed. But it should have been shown from Sho's POV at some point. Maybe a flashback or two.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
You mean dinosaurs learning to love? :3 Yeah, I suppose you're right.

I just remember angry patrons (probably old people) walking out in a rage demanding their money back.

Old people are weird.

Obsessed said:
I think the scene was needed. But it should have been shown from Sho's POV at some point. Maybe a flashback or two.
After that episode I just want more Yuri. I agree the scene was needed for the story, but I don't think it needed a flashback. Well, it was kind of jarring so it could have used something, but that wasn't my main issue with it. Sho was doing the whole "everyone hates us, no one will forgive us" thing last episode, so that wasn't new, as stupid as it is. I was annoyed with how he completely ignored Ringo just to continue his stupidity.

icarus-daedelus said:
Second sentence still works if you de-capitalize the proper noun. What a name!
What a great name!

jman2050

Mirai Nikki 2

I had forgotten just how much of an insufferable twat Yukki is. Fortunately Yuno and Minene are just as <3 as always.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Oh I was thinking you had a problem with Richard Gere or something like that. Admittedly, I would probably rather kill myself than watch a movie set in Arizona. And don't tell Lafiel this, you'll break his precious heart.
Arizona has gorgeous landscapes. Maybe not so much in Tucson though.

Holy shit. Ghost Stories is so fucking hilarious.

NOT BECAUSE YOU'RE A RABBIT, BUT BECAUSE YOU'RE BLACK!

lol. Episode 9 is just perfection in an amazing series.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
icarus-daedelus said:
Remember when everyone had Asuka avatars and Nonoriri used to spam me with pictures and I'd bitch and moan about it? HA! Tables turned! Hypocrisy wins again!
>_>.

What did I miss?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PdotMichael said:
I guess, it's better than the brushing teeth-fetish after all

PTe47.jpg
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to learn more.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Natsume's Book of Friends 2

This show is superb at showing what it means to be alone and the comfort a single relationship can provide.

I found it to become unbearably boring after the 4th episode. It just never seemed to go anywhere.

Actually episode 4 threw consistency with yokai interaction completely out the window.

Branduil

You idiots made me think of what a tsundere dentist would be like.

Also, The Tatami Galaxy addressed that fetish, just to entice those of you who haven't yet to watch it.

scy

Branduil said:
You idiots made me think of what a tsundere dentist would be like.

Also, The Tatami Galaxy addressed that fetish, just to entice those of you who haven't yet to watch it.

Time to get a few more episodes of The Tatami Galaxy done then...

Well, after I get done catching up with Ben-To, anyway. You damn bastards talking it up. The fight scene ... actually seems to be animated relatively well. And the absurdity of the plot is a bit too much. I'm not sure how I feel about this short of idle curiosity.

And then the next episode preview takes me out of it completely and actually brought a smile to my face.
shutup I'm weak to 4th wall breaks

...damn it, I'm going to have to watch another episode, aren't I?

Kaasan - Mom's Life 2

I cannot get over how adorable Fumi is. "Okaa-shan!"

The continual variations on the "Time goes by" animation were neat.

Obsessed said:
I found it to become unbearably boring after the 4th episode. It just never seemed to go anywhere.

Natsume is episodic, so I wouldn't expect it to "go anywhere" any more than I expected that of Mushi-Shi.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Not dentist, patient.

I do not have chronic halitosis, baka~!
It's not like I want to fill the cavity in your tooth or anything, I just happened to have a drill right here, that's all.

Dresden

idolmaster 15 -

Sweet, another silly episode. It was kinda dull most of the way but then 16 minutes in the mecha shit happened and it was so swell.

trejo

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere 3

Yep, shit sucks. Not even in a so bad it's good sorta way. It's just all terrible all the time.

I'm done here.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dresden said:
idolmaster 15 -

Sweet, another silly episode. It was kinda dull most of the way but then 16 minutes in the mecha shit happened and it was so swell.
This show has really been all over the place lately. Episode 13 was a decently satisfying ending to a fairly laborious Miki arc, and given that she's the only one who seems to have fostered a relationship with the producer she kind of feels like the central idol in the show lately.

Then Episode 14 swooped in and was all, "Hey, look at us change things up all of the sudden after the show was stagnant for a few episodes." Kind of a boring episode though in terms of content, and the fun aspect of the incognito outfits wasn't really enough to carry the rest of the episode. You think the show would be more interesting with antagonists but no, the writers belabor the point that the world is an evil place outside the cheery office of 765 Pro.

Episode 15 was the least ambitious, but it was probably the most entertaining of the recent batch of episodes. Most of the cast were as one dimensional as ever, but that's easier to ignore when the show is just trying to be funny. I almost wish the mecha thing had its own episode.

Articalys

Chihayafuru 3

I'll be honest, I'm a little tired of super dynamo genki girls after dealing with Ohana for two seasons. It also felt like they were laying it on pretty thick for that last bit, but I forget over what span of time this flashback was supposed to be taking place, so maybe that makes a different. Was it a whole school year?
Anyway, now that the backstory has been established, hopefully we'll move back into the present and get to the real core of the show.

Horizon 3

This is the kind of show where you need to constantly keep referring to a character chart or something just to keep track of the basics.

Articalys

In other news, about that next season of Kamisama Dolls...
Makoto Uezu, series script editor and scriptwriter for the Kamisama Dolls television series, indicated that a sequel remains undecided as of Monday. Uezu noted that a draft does exist for continuing the story, but "various difficulties" have complicated the possibility of proceeding with a new series for the action anime.
Ahahahaha, that's what you get for airing that fucking teaser at the end of episode 13 without even having anything concrete in place.
Though I guess if they do have a second season I'll have to eat my hat or whatever.

zeroshiki

Articalys said:
Horizon 3

This is the kind of show where you need to constantly keep referring to a character chart or something just to keep track of the basics.

LOGH had more characters and I'm pretty sure I could name more of them than the Horizon people.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
How about yan?

"Were you supposed to stick that through my cheek...?"

Doctor-patient relationships reimagined as anime tropes. Someone should make this into an anime.
"Is it safe?"

"Wha-"

"Our marriage"

"But we're not m-"

"IS IT SAFE?"

Articalys

zeroshiki said:
LOGH had more characters and I'm pretty sure I could name more of them than the Horizon people.
I've never seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes (though I know a picture of part of its cast is on the Loads and Loads of Characters trope page), but I guess this means it did a better job of introducing and differentiating its characters than Horizon has.

Dresden

The card game in Chihayafuru would be ten times cooler if it had Kaiji's narrator doing the poetry lines.

Instead we get this wailing old man.

Instro

Dresden said:
The card game in Chihayafuru would be ten times cooler if it had Kaiji's narrator doing the poetry lines.

Well that, and some visual metaphors to go along with the lyrics.

Branduil

Dresden said:

What if instead of a card game she was practicing dentistry?

For some reason I want to see a dentistry anime now.

scy

Ben-To 2 - Why do they take this so seriously. And I actually enjoyed this probably more than I expected I would. Damn you people. Damn you.

Senjou no Horizon 3 - I'm too tired to words explosion all over the place. More Asama is never a bad thing to me, though ... uh ... her outfit. Also, I didn't know that Suzu
was blind; I thought it was just typical anime bangs

Name wise, we're shown
Honda Tadakatsu, Sakakibara Yasumasa
and there's a reference to the missing member of the Four Heavenly Kings,
Ii Naomasa, who isn't a student I guess based off the wording. I figured Nao Masa, the girl with the giant wrench, would've been the fourth based off the name, but explaining how a student had that position was a bit hard...

Anyway, this episode gives us
a new student? I'm not really sure the relevancy with that, Tori being utterly ridiculous, and some more blanks filled in on Horizon and Tori (namely, her being the daughter of Motonobu Matsudaira/Tokugawa Ieyasu it seems and that Tori is "responsible" for her death). Some mysterious shenanigans that are hopefully the start of a real plot.

Something really needs to happen. Barring info dumps for our benefit, it doesn't feel like three episodes of content actually went by. Though, on the bright side, I think I know the name of everyone in the class that I'll probably give a damn about (which is basically everyone but a few of the guys :/)

iavi

Working!!2 - 3

Still as fun as ever. Izumi's challenged as hell, Nazuna is a boss, and Inami needs to get even less screen time than the little she's getting this time around.

And yeah, I can't do Horizon anymore. I thought it was going to be my srs biz parody, but that turned out to be Ben-To instead.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just figured out something about Mawaru Penguin Drum:

Santetoshi gives me David-Bowie-As-Jareth-In-Labyrinth vibes.

Persona 4 2

Still not used to hearing the MC talk. Dude doesn't seem like a protagonist when he's just standing there most of the time and making an occasional inspirational 5 second speech.

Also, apparently Personas can act independently from their owners after being summoned. Thought you had to kill the card each time to make them do stuff. Either way, boss fight was cool if not a bit short. Adding in the
TVs with the Junes bitches
was a nice touch and cool way to break up the fight.

Still loving this solely based on the fact it's P4.

cosmicblizzard said:
Persona 4 2

Still not used to hearing the MC talk. Dude doesn't seem like a protagonist when he's just standing there most of the time and making an occasional inspirational 5 second speech.

Also, apparently Personas can act independently from their owners after being summoned. Thought you had to kill the card each time to make them do stuff. Either way, boss fight was cool if not a bit short. Adding in the
TVs with the Junes bitches
was a nice touch and cool way to break up the fight.

Still loving this solely based on the fact it's P4.
I'm disappointed that the fights are basically Pokemon battles. I want to see Charlie whacking shadows with a golf club. If I don't see Chie galatic punt a tank by the end of this Imma cut somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom